best free image editor?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Russell Smithies, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. K wrote:
    > Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    > shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    gimp

    (the software, not you)
    :)

    Russell
    Russell Smithies, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Russell Smithies

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:22:26 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
    <> wrote:

    >K wrote:
    >> Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    >> shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    >gimp
    >
    >(the software, not you)
    >:)
    >

    >Russell

    Is this not the Luni lunix stuff.?
    Dumdedo, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Russell Smithies

    Howard Guest

    Dumdedo wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:22:26 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> K wrote:
    >>> Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    >>> shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    >> gimp

    > Is this not the Luni lunix stuff.?

    Open source - yes. Butit's available in both Windows and Linux.

    But as easy to use... I'd definitely put it in the power user class. RTFM
    required!
    Howard, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Suddenly, K sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    > shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    Shareware is not freeware :)

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Dec 20, 2003
  5. In article <>, K <> wrote:
    >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    paintshop pro v5
    This was free on a Aus comp mag about a month or so ago
    Gimp for Win is pretty good once you get used to it (not the easyiest)
    Steve Robertson, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Russell Smithies

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <> wrote:

    >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    December APC mag has Paint Shop Pro 5 full version free. Many PC mag
    CD also have the Gimp, a PhotoShop equivelant with an unusual
    interface.
    GraB, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Russell Smithies

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <> wrote:
    >
    > >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    > >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    > December APC mag has Paint Shop Pro 5 full version free. Many PC mag
    > CD also have the Gimp, a PhotoShop equivelant with an unusual
    > interface.

    What's unusual about it?

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Russell Smithies

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:49:27 +1300, madknoxie wrote:

    >> December APC mag has Paint Shop Pro 5 full version free. Many PC mag
    >> CD also have the Gimp, a PhotoShop equivelant with an unusual
    >> interface.

    > What's unusual about it?

    Take it for a test drive. You will need a very mouse though as she really
    gets a work out. Menu of the pop up kind, is right click.

    Gordon, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Russell Smithies

    John Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <> wrote:

    >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    Check out InfranView, not as advanced as PSP but freeware and great
    for manging all your images off your digital camera...

    tucows.ihug.co.nz
    John, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Russell Smithies

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:19:47 +1300, in article
    <>, John wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <> wrote:
    >
    > >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    > >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    > Check out InfranView, not as advanced as PSP but freeware and great
    > for manging all your images off your digital camera...

    IrfanView is an excellent fast image viewer which handles many different image formats.
    IrfanView can also do conversion from one image format to another.
    Even so, IrfanView is not an image editor.

    Or http://www.irfanview.com/

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
    Ralph Fox, Dec 20, 2003
  11. Russell Smithies

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:19:47 +1300, in article
    > <>, John wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    > > >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    > > Check out InfranView, not as advanced as PSP but freeware and great
    > > for manging all your images off your digital camera...

    > IrfanView is an excellent fast image viewer which handles many different

    image formats.
    > IrfanView can also do conversion from one image format to another.
    > Even so, IrfanView is not an image editor.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Ralph

    It cuts, crops, adjust gamma brightness contrast, but best of all sharpens
    better than PSP 7.02 can ever do. Because Irfan View settings allow you to
    fine tune the sharpen option while PSP doesn't.
    It looks and performs like an editor even though it's missing a lot of
    features from other editors.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 20, 2003
  12. Russell Smithies

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    "Gordon" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:49:27 +1300, madknoxie wrote:
    >
    > >> December APC mag has Paint Shop Pro 5 full version free. Many PC mag
    > >> CD also have the Gimp, a PhotoShop equivelant with an unusual
    > >> interface.

    > > What's unusual about it?

    > Take it for a test drive. You will need a very mouse though as she really
    > gets a work out. Menu of the pop up kind, is right click.

    Ummm, I've been using it for about two years. I have it installed on
    both a Linux machine and my main computer which is a Mac. I could
    probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user. Again, what's so
    unusual about the interface?

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Dec 20, 2003
  13. Russell Smithies

    T.N.O. Guest

    madknoxie wrote:
    > I could
    > probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user.

    I always knew there was something odd about you.
    T.N.O., Dec 20, 2003
  14. Russell Smithies

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <3fe43d93$>,
    "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    > madknoxie wrote:
    > > I could
    > > probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user.

    > I always knew there was something odd about you.

    You make it sound like there is only one thing odd about me... rice boy
    :)

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Dec 20, 2003
  15. Russell Smithies

    T.N.O. Guest

    madknoxie wrote:
    >>>I could
    >>>probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user.

    >>I always knew there was something odd about you.

    > You make it sound like there is only one thing odd about me... rice boy
    > :)

    Riceboy? I could still beat your little baby :)
    T.N.O., Dec 20, 2003
  16. Russell Smithies

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 06:44:27 -0800, K <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <> wrote:
    >
    >>Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    >>shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    >Thanks for all the ideas guys, I will take a look over the hols

    If you have Microsoft Office there is Microsoft Photo Editor that
    comes with that. It wasn't automatically installed with the Office
    software and I installed later. It's surprising just how much one can
    do with it. Personally I still use PSP7 & 8 but my needs may be
    different from yours.

    Cheers, Kooky
    Kookaburra, Dec 20, 2003
  17. Russell Smithies

    K Guest

    K, Dec 20, 2003
  18. Russell Smithies

    ~misfit~ Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > I could still beat your little baby :)

    Beating babies now Dave? :)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2003
  19. Russell Smithies

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:12:19 +1300, madknoxie wrote:

    > In article <>,

    >>> What's unusual about it?

    >> Take it for a test drive. You will need a very mouse though as she really
    >> gets a work out. Menu of the pop up kind, is right click.

    > Ummm, I've been using it for about two years. I have it installed on
    > both a Linux machine and my main computer which is a Mac. I could
    > probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user. Again, what's so
    > unusual about the interface?

    The way most of the options are available in the right-click menu, rather
    than from drop-down menus at the top, also that there is no main window,
    and the toolbars etc are seperate windows.
    -[Myth]-, Dec 21, 2003
  20. Hi there,

    Dumdedo wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:22:26 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>K wrote:
    >>
    >>>Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    >>>shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    >>gimp
    >>
    >>(the software, not you)
    >>:)
    >>

    >>Russell

    > Is this not the Luni lunix stuff.?

    Gimp has been ported to Windows and works well. The only difference
    to the *nix version is that the windows download is bigger because
    Gimp needs the GTK+ gui system, which is included in the Windows
    version download...

    Gimp is not specific to Linux. It is associated with Linux because
    most distros include it as standard (why not, after all its pretty
    damn good for a freebie). You can compile the source on almost any
    platform if you want, so get a grip Woger...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 21, 2003