Best free encryption method?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Johnny, Nov 14, 2004.

  1. Johnny

    Johnny Guest

    Hello,

    I need to open, edit and save a text (.txt) file on my hard drive
    several times a day, and that file contains secret information.

    What's the easiest free method of encrypting it (and, of course,
    decrypting it each time)?

    Thanks.

    --Johnny
    http://barelybad.com
    Johnny, Nov 14, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Johnny

    Mike Guest

    Johnny wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need to open, edit and save a text (.txt) file on my hard drive
    > several times a day, and that file contains secret information.
    >
    > What's the easiest free method of encrypting it (and, of course,
    > decrypting it each time)?


    Use a floppy disk?

    But watch out for those temporary files and swap files etc....
    Mike, Nov 14, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Johnny

    Sue Doo Nym Guest

    In article <EnIld.686$>, the
    amazing Johnny says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need to open, edit and save a text (.txt) file on my hard drive
    > several times a day, and that file contains secret information.
    >
    > What's the easiest free method of encrypting it (and, of course,
    > decrypting it each time)?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --Johnny
    > http://barelybad.com
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

    Try pgp 6.5.8ckt and the conventional encrypt option. Or gpg (you will need gpg
    shell if you use Windows.)
    --
    He said, "It is finished." Not, "I am finished."
    Sue Doo Nym, Nov 14, 2004
    #3
  4. On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:40:47 -0600, "Johnny" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I need to open, edit and save a text (.txt) file on my hard drive
    >several times a day, and that file contains secret information.
    >
    >What's the easiest free method of encrypting it (and, of course,
    >decrypting it each time)?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >--Johnny
    >http://barelybad.com
    >
    >

    Check out Blowfish Advanced CS - it has a 'work with' feature that
    automatically re-encrypts a file when it's closed.

    Regards,



    --
    Stephen Howard - Woodwind repairs & period restorations
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    Emails to: showard{whoisat}shwoodwind{dot}co{dot}uk
    Stephen Howard, Nov 15, 2004
    #4
  5. Johnny

    Johnny Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:41978495$0$105$...
    > Johnny wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I need to open, edit and save a text (.txt) file on my hard drive
    > > several times a day, and that file contains secret information.
    > >
    > > What's the easiest free method of encrypting it (and, of course,
    > > decrypting it each time)?

    >
    > Use a floppy disk?
    >
    > But watch out for those temporary files and swap files etc....
    >


    Mike

    Your answer, the simplest one, turned ou to be the best. The txt file
    in question now opens only on drive A:, the floppy drive, which I shove
    the disk into only when I need it. What a great solution.

    BUt now I have a follow-up question. What did you mean by "watch out
    for those temporay files and swap files etc...."?

    Thanks again.

    --Johnny
    http://barelybad.com
    Johnny, Nov 16, 2004
    #5
  6. Johnny

    Luke MacNeil Guest

    Stephen Howard wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:40:47 -0600, "Johnny" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I need to open, edit and save a text (.txt) file on my hard drive
    >>several times a day, and that file contains secret information.
    >>
    >>What's the easiest free method of encrypting it (and, of course,
    >>decrypting it each time)?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>--Johnny
    >>http://barelybad.com
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Check out Blowfish Advanced CS - it has a 'work with' feature that
    > automatically re-encrypts a file when it's closed.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    >
    >


    Windows XP EFS not good enough?



    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
    Luke MacNeil, Nov 18, 2004
    #6
  7. Johnny

    Johnny Guest

    Luke, I don't know what Window XP EFS is.

    Also, do you know what Mike meant by "watch out for those temporary
    files and swap files, etc"?

    Thanks.

    "Luke MacNeil" <> wrote in message
    news:419ccd17$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > Stephen Howard wrote:
    > > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:40:47 -0600, "Johnny" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Hello,
    > >>
    > >>I need to open, edit and save a text (.txt) file on my hard drive
    > >>several times a day, and that file contains secret information.
    > >>
    > >>What's the easiest free method of encrypting it (and, of course,
    > >>decrypting it each time)?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks.
    > >>
    > >>--Johnny
    > >>http://barelybad.com
    > >>
    > >>

    > >
    > > Check out Blowfish Advanced CS - it has a 'work with' feature that
    > > automatically re-encrypts a file when it's closed.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Windows XP EFS not good enough?
    >
    >
    >
    > ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet

    News==----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >100,000 Newsgroups
    > ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
    Johnny, Nov 18, 2004
    #7
  8. Johnny

    Guest

    I think Mike was trying to say if you have sensitive information that
    you are storing on an encrypted floppy, to make sure that you dispose
    of any temporary files that are created that could hold your
    information in plaintext.

    Windows XP introduced EFS, Encrypted File System.. If you right click
    on a folder and go to its properties, you can chose to either encrypt
    or compress a folder. Then the only user that can decrypt the file is
    the one whos SID encrypted it, or an encryption agent (Administrator).

    Heres a tutorial.
    http://www.iopus.com/guides/efs.htm


    Johnny wrote:
    > Luke, I don't know what Window XP EFS is.
    >
    > Also, do you know what Mike meant by "watch out for those temporary
    > files and swap files, etc"?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Luke MacNeil" <> wrote in message
    > news:419ccd17$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > > Stephen Howard wrote:
    > > > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:40:47 -0600, "Johnny"

    <>
    > > > wrote:
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >>Hello,
    > > >>
    > > >>I need to open, edit and save a text (.txt) file on my hard drive
    > > >>several times a day, and that file contains secret information.
    > > >>
    > > >>What's the easiest free method of encrypting it (and, of course,
    > > >>decrypting it each time)?
    > > >>
    > > >>Thanks.
    > > >>
    > > >>--Johnny
    > > >>http://barelybad.com
    > > >>
    > > >>
    > > >
    > > > Check out Blowfish Advanced CS - it has a 'work with' feature

    that
    > > > automatically re-encrypts a file when it's closed.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >

    > >
    > > Windows XP EFS not good enough?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure

    Usenet
    > News==----
    > > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > >100,000 Newsgroups
    > > ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

    =---
    , Dec 13, 2004
    #8
  9. Johnny

    nemo outis Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:
    >I think Mike was trying to say if you have sensitive information that
    >you are storing on an encrypted floppy, to make sure that you dispose
    >of any temporary files that are created that could hold your
    >information in plaintext.
    >
    >Windows XP introduced EFS, Encrypted File System.. If you right click
    >on a folder and go to its properties, you can chose to either encrypt
    >or compress a folder. Then the only user that can decrypt the file is
    >the one whos SID encrypted it, or an encryption agent (Administrator).
    >
    >Heres a tutorial.
    >http://www.iopus.com/guides/efs.htm



    EFS works. But there are serious "lurks" for the unwary.

    Putting aside for the moment the (by no means trivial) question
    of backdoors and the NSA, the problems with EFS include:

    1. It is not an OTF (on the fly) encryption scheme. Instead
    it extracts encrypted files as plaintext versions onto the HD and
    later erases them when the (possibly modified) plaintext version
    is reencrypted. These deleted-but-not-scrubbed extracted
    plaintext versions are a major headache requiring scrubbing, etc.

    Also, if an unencrypted (plaintext) file is used in, say,
    Microsoft Word, there are significant dangers of additional
    plaintext leakage paths (e.g., ~.tmp files, etc.)

    2. You must take **special measures** to ensure that the
    decrypting keys have been removed from the HD. The default is to
    **keep** them on the HD (using a pretty weak protection scheme)
    for administrative purposes.

    In short, EFS can work moderately well, but managing it properly
    is not obvious or straightforward and therein lies the danger.

    Regards,
    nemo outis, Dec 14, 2004
    #9
  10. Johnny

    winged Guest

    nemo outis wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I think Mike was trying to say if you have sensitive information that
    >>you are storing on an encrypted floppy, to make sure that you dispose
    >>of any temporary files that are created that could hold your
    >>information in plaintext.
    >>
    >>Windows XP introduced EFS, Encrypted File System.. If you right click
    >>on a folder and go to its properties, you can chose to either encrypt
    >>or compress a folder. Then the only user that can decrypt the file is
    >>the one whos SID encrypted it, or an encryption agent (Administrator).
    >>
    >>Heres a tutorial.
    >>http://www.iopus.com/guides/efs.htm

    >
    >
    >
    > EFS works. But there are serious "lurks" for the unwary.
    >
    > Putting aside for the moment the (by no means trivial) question
    > of backdoors and the NSA, the problems with EFS include:
    >
    > 1. It is not an OTF (on the fly) encryption scheme. Instead
    > it extracts encrypted files as plaintext versions onto the HD and
    > later erases them when the (possibly modified) plaintext version
    > is reencrypted. These deleted-but-not-scrubbed extracted
    > plaintext versions are a major headache requiring scrubbing, etc.
    >
    > Also, if an unencrypted (plaintext) file is used in, say,
    > Microsoft Word, there are significant dangers of additional
    > plaintext leakage paths (e.g., ~.tmp files, etc.)
    >
    > 2. You must take **special measures** to ensure that the
    > decrypting keys have been removed from the HD. The default is to
    > **keep** them on the HD (using a pretty weak protection scheme)
    > for administrative purposes.
    >
    > In short, EFS can work moderately well, but managing it properly
    > is not obvious or straightforward and therein lies the danger.
    >
    > Regards,


    Well put. I gotta find a secret...
    winged, Dec 14, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. hari

    best method to test 3661

    hari, Jul 22, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    450
  2. Mike
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    664
    UAError
    Feb 10, 2004
  3. Keith

    Best Study Method

    Keith, Feb 25, 2005, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    3,251
    shane
    Mar 5, 2005
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?-=3D|__=28=BAL=BA=29__|=3D-____o=3D

    Which hard drive encryption program has the strongest tested encryption & security?

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?-=3D|__=28=BAL=BA=29__|=3D-____o=3D, Sep 24, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    3,788
    Kornholio
    Feb 20, 2008
  5. Fred

    Simple encryption method for email attachment

    Fred, Jan 24, 2006, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    1,180
    Jeff B
    Jan 31, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page