Best free and clean time sync program?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hmmm@hmnm.org, Jun 1, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Jun 1, 2007

  2. hummingbird Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:45:47 -0500 ''
    posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's
    >
    >http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920
    >

    >and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:
    >
    >http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp
    >

    >Is there anything better and smaller, or should I just start the Windows
    >Time Service. I closed it as I like as few services open as possible.

    I can't really see the point of installing/running a program to synch
    time when it exists natively in Windows. You can always change the
    list of optional time-servers if you want to.

    --
    I don't like doing this but...here's a list of people now killfiled
    or mostly ignored by me on a.c.f. with immediate effect:

    »Q« escapes being in my Hall of Fame for now because his lies
    don't usually involve abuse. That may change.

    hummingbird, Jun 1, 2007

  3. Guest

    wrote in news::

    > I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's
    >
    > http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920
    >

    > and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:
    >
    > http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp
    >

    > Is there anything better and smaller, or should I just start the Windows
    > Time Service. I closed it as I like as few services open as possible.

    Gizmo recommends:

    http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

    and he has this for tray clock replacement
    which also has a time adjustment:

    http://www.alfaclock.com/default.html

    , Jun 1, 2007
  4. Paul B Guest

    Paul B, Jun 1, 2007
  5. Susan Bugher Guest

    wrote:

    > I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's
    > http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920
    >
    > and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:
    > http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp
    >
    > Is there anything better and smaller, <SNIP>

    Neutron (6 KB). It's Pricelessware ;)
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2007/PL2007ORGANIZERS.php#0498-PW

    more apps:
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#3.10TimeSynchronizer
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#3.10Clock-Timesynchronizer

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q= group:alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Jun 1, 2007
  6. K3 Guest

    hummingbird wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:45:47 -0500 ''
    > posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:
    >
    >> I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's
    >>
    >> http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920
    >>

    >> and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:
    >>
    >> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp
    >>

    >> Is there anything better and smaller, or should I just start the
    >> Windows Time Service. I closed it as I like as few services open as
    >> possible.

    > I can't really see the point of installing/running a program to synch
    > time when it exists natively in Windows. You can always change the
    > list of optional time-servers if you want to.

    Why run W32Time as a Service when one can run a small, no-install,
    non-resident utility to update the system time at Boot?

    Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html
    TimeSync 1.6 - http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc/wrem.htm#timesync

    --
    Kendall F. Stratton III
    Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

    "Support Bacteria - It's the only culture some people have!"

    K3, Jun 1, 2007
  7. hummingbird Guest

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:04:18 -0400 '"K3"
    <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com>'
    posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >hummingbird wrote:
    >> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:45:47 -0500 ''
    >> posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:
    >>
    >>> I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920
    >>>

    >>> and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp
    >>>

    >>> Is there anything better and smaller, or should I just start the
    >>> Windows Time Service. I closed it as I like as few services open as
    >>> possible.

    >> I can't really see the point of installing/running a program to synch
    >> time when it exists natively in Windows. You can always change the
    >> list of optional time-servers if you want to.

    >Why run W32Time as a Service when one can run a small, no-install,
    >non-resident utility to update the system time at Boot?

    Surely you have to be online for them to synch, so that's not exactly
    at Boot. But anyway, they both look quite good but I'm not sure what
    the gain is unless you can run them as non-resident, else you have to
    shut them down manually after a couple of mins of going online.

    Honestly, it looks like 6 of one and a half dozen of the other to me.

    >Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html
    >TimeSync 1.6 - http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc/wrem.htm#timesync

    --
    I don't like doing this but...here's a list of people now killfiled
    or mostly ignored by me on a.c.f. with immediate effect:
    John Corliss: No.1 troll, bully, ignorant liar, troublemaker,
    projection artist, a wannabe "do as I say, not as I do" jerk.
    Franklin: No.1 dishonest quack quack quack stalker, blusterer,
    patronising poop-stirrer and 'me too' troll.

    hummingbird, Jun 1, 2007
  8. Susan Bugher Guest

    K3 wrote:

    > Why run W32Time as a Service when one can run a small, no-install,
    > non-resident utility to update the system time at Boot?

    The apps you posted ARE small. . .

    > Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html

    Time Synchronizer 1.4 (~44 KB ZIP)

    > TimeSync 1.6 - http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc/wrem.htm#timesync

    Download (28Kb)

    but Neutron is smaller. . . ;)
    http://keir.net/neutron.html
    Neutron 1.03 ZIP: 6K

    Susan (small is beautiful)
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q= group:alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Jun 1, 2007
  9. Susan Bugher Guest

    hummingbird wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:04:18 -0400 '"K3"
    > <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com>'
    > posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:
    >>hummingbird wrote:

    >>>I can't really see the point of installing/running a program to synch
    >>>time when it exists natively in Windows. You can always change the
    >>>list of optional time-servers if you want to.

    >>Why run W32Time as a Service when one can run a small, no-install,
    >>non-resident utility to update the system time at Boot?

    > Surely you have to be online for them to synch, so that's not exactly
    > at Boot. But anyway, they both look quite good but I'm not sure what
    > the gain is unless you can run them as non-resident, else you have to
    > shut them down manually after a couple of mins of going online.

    That ain't necessarily so. . . ;) I didn't check those particular
    apps but see for instance:
    http://keir.net/neutron.html
    "Options in the program enable you to automatically obtain the time from
    the time server and set your clock appropriately at program startup. It
    is also possible to have the program automatically exit after the time
    has been set and so is ideal for placing a shortcut in your Startup
    folder to sync your clock when your computer is started."

    > Honestly, it looks like 6 of one and a half dozen of the other to me.

    Disagree.

    >>Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html
    >>TimeSync 1.6 - http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc/wrem.htm#timesync

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q= group:alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Jun 1, 2007
  10. hummingbird Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:32:40 -0400 'Susan Bugher'
    posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >hummingbird wrote:
    >> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:04:18 -0400 '"K3"
    >> <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com>'
    >> posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >>>Why run W32Time as a Service when one can run a small, no-install,
    >>>non-resident utility to update the system time at Boot?

    >> Surely you have to be online for them to synch, so that's not exactly
    >> at Boot. But anyway, they both look quite good but I'm not sure what
    >> the gain is unless you can run them as non-resident, else you have to
    >> shut them down manually after a couple of mins of going online.

    >That ain't necessarily so. . . ;) I didn't check those particular
    >apps but see for instance:
    >http://keir.net/neutron.html
    >"Options in the program enable you to automatically obtain the time from
    >the time server and set your clock appropriately at program startup. It
    >is also possible to have the program automatically exit after the time
    >has been set and so is ideal for placing a shortcut in your Startup
    >folder to sync your clock when your computer is started."

    What ain't necessarily so Susan?
    That you don't have to be on-line to set the time?

    I've already d/l and run the first of them and it's quite cute
    but it has no settings at all, let alone one to auto quit after
    setting the time. And it takes 4MB of memory!

    Can't say about the other but one thing I'm always wary of with
    apps with hardcoded time servers in them is that the darn servers
    stop working occasionally or go AWOL forever, then you're screwed.

    >> Honestly, it looks like 6 of one and a half dozen of the other to me.

    >Disagree.

    As you wish.

    >>>Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html
    >>>TimeSync 1.6 - http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc/wrem.htm#timesync

    --
    I don't like to do this but..here's a list of people killfiled
    or mostly ignored by me on a.c.f. with immediate effect:
    John Corliss: No.1 troll, bully, ignorant liar, troublemaker,
    projection artist, a wannabe "do as I say, not as I do" jerk.
    Franklin: No.1 dishonest quack quack quack stalker, blusterer,
    patronising poop-stirrer and 'me too' troll.

    »Q« escapes being in my Hall of Fame for now because his lies and
    distortions of truth don't usually involve abuse. That may change.

    hummingbird, Jun 1, 2007
  11. hummingbird Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:25:01 -0400 'Susan Bugher'
    posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >K3 wrote:
    >
    >> Why run W32Time as a Service when one can run a small, no-install,
    >> non-resident utility to update the system time at Boot?

    >The apps you posted ARE small. . .
    >
    >> Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html

    >Time Synchronizer 1.4 (~44 KB ZIP)

    That's only the d/l size. Check the filesize after unzipping.

    hummingbird, Jun 1, 2007
  12. Susan Bugher Guest

    hummingbird wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:25:01 -0400 'Susan Bugher'
    > posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >>The apps you posted ARE small. . .
    >>

    >>>Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html

    >>Time Synchronizer 1.4 (~44 KB ZIP)

    > That's only the d/l size. Check the filesize after unzipping.

    I'll let you check those. You snipped *my* recommendation. Here's the
    information about Neutron.

    neutron.zip
    5.91 KB (6,059 bytes)

    unzipped (3 files) (Neutron.exe, Neutron.ini, readme.txt) - total size:
    12.9 KB (13,246 bytes)

    You could delete the readme (2.61 KB (2,676 bytes)) if you're really
    pressed for space. ;)

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q= group:alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Jun 1, 2007
  13. Guest

    Susan Bugher <> wrote in

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's
    >> http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920
    >>
    >> and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:
    >> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp
    >>
    >> Is there anything better and smaller, <SNIP>

    > Neutron (6 KB). It's Pricelessware ;)
    > http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2007/PL2007ORGANIZERS.php#0498-PW
    >
    > more apps:
    > http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#3.10TimeSynchroni
    > zer
    > http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#3.10Clock-Timesyn
    > chronizer
    >
    > Susan

    Thanks for the post. Every time I see your links, I end up spending close
    to an hour researching the author's web sites! I just spent some serious
    time reading Keir.net and going to Foundstone.

    Anyone use K9 anti-spam btw?

    , Jun 1, 2007
  14. Guest

    , Jun 1, 2007
  15. Susan Bugher Guest

    wrote:
    > Susan Bugher <> wrote in

    >>Neutron (6 KB). It's Pricelessware ;)
    >>http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2007/PL2007ORGANIZERS.php#0498-PW
    >>
    >>more apps:
    >>http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#3.10TimeSynchroni
    >>zer
    >>http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#3.10Clock-Timesyn
    >>chronizer

    > Thanks for the post. Every time I see your links, I end up spending close
    > to an hour researching the author's web sites! I just spent some serious
    > time reading Keir.net and going to Foundstone.

    Time well spent. :) I love Robin Keir's programs - wish everybody coded
    like that.

    > Anyone use K9 anti-spam btw?

    I don't (cause I don't need it) but. . . you many see this coming. . .
    ;) sho 'nuff many ACF ng participants do:
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2007/PL2007INTERNET.php#0403-PW

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q= group:alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Jun 1, 2007
  16. hummingbird Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:04:30 -0400 'Susan Bugher'
    posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >hummingbird wrote:
    >> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:25:01 -0400 'Susan Bugher'
    >> posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >>>The apps you posted ARE small. . .

    >>>Time Synchronizer 1.4 (~44 KB ZIP)

    >> That's only the d/l size. Check the filesize after unzipping.

    >I'll let you check those. You snipped *my* recommendation. Here's the
    >information about Neutron.

    I snipped it because I wasn't interested in a second one.
    How many time-synchers do you want me to have ;-)

    hummingbird, Jun 1, 2007
  17. Susan Bugher Guest

    hummingbird wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:04:30 -0400 'Susan Bugher'
    > posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >>I'll let you check those. You snipped *my* recommendation. Here's the
    >>information about Neutron.

    > I snipped it because I wasn't interested in a second one.
    > How many time-synchers do you want me to have ;-)

    As many as you want. :) Many ng participants like to have lots. . .

    hmm. . . that might make an interesting thread: How many apps of the
    same type do you have installed (text editors, file managers etc.)?

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q= group:alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Jun 1, 2007
  18. hummingbird Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:06:53 -0400 'Susan Bugher'
    posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >hummingbird wrote:
    >> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:04:30 -0400 'Susan Bugher'
    >> posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >>>I'll let you check those. You snipped *my* recommendation. Here's the
    >>>information about Neutron.

    >> I snipped it because I wasn't interested in a second one.
    >> How many time-synchers do you want me to have ;-)

    >As many as you want. :) Many ng participants like to have lots. . .

    OK that's fine. I'll just make do with one ATM. If I find that
    life is going by too fast, I'll get one that's broke :)

    >hmm. . . that might make an interesting thread: How many apps of the
    >same type do you have installed (text editors, file managers etc.)?

    2 editors, 1 file manager and 4 CD burners.

    Yeah you're right ...that would make an interesting thread.

    How about some side bets on who's got the most of everything?

    hummingbird, Jun 1, 2007
  19. Guest

    hummingbird <> wrote:

    >I've already d/l and run the first of them and it's quite cute
    >but it has no settings at all, let alone one to auto quit after
    >setting the time. And it takes 4MB of memory!

    Create a batch file (NT OS assumed)

    <path>TimeSync.exe [key] @ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2 -w 6000...//www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/5943?rss

    , Jun 1, 2007
  20. hummingbird Guest