    Can anyone advise which will give the best results

    Cheers

    Jim

    Jim, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Jim

    Harry Guest

    Be careful.

    My experience with Canon digital camera which has a flash right on top of
    lens tends to create red eye easily, no matter you select the red eye
    reduction feature or not.

    I am getting the pro1 which has a pop up flash hopefully will get rid of
    this problem and I am buying a Canon 420EX flash in case it does not
    improve.

    I have NEVER had issue with red eye in my previous 20 years of film camera
    life. Maybe I always used either handle or big flash on top of camera which
    create a distance to the lens. You definitely don't want to see your baby's
    eyes look like an "vampire" all the time...

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at getting a new camera and can't decide between the Canon A80 and
    > S50. Both seem to get good write ups and have their own pros and cons. The
    > camera is primarily going to be used for taking pictures of our 8 month

    old
    > so I think the deciding factor is going to be how they compare when

    taking

    Harry, Jun 7, 2004

  3. Jim

    Chicha Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Looking at getting a new camera and can't decide between the Canon A80 and
    > S50. Both seem to get good write ups and have their own pros and cons. The
    > camera is primarily going to be used for taking pictures of our 8 month old
    > so I think the deciding factor is going to be how they compare when taking
    > shots indoors using flash.
    >
    > Can anyone advise which will give the best results
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Jim

    Swivel LCD of A80 is big (actually, decisive) preference for me.

    Taking pictures of kids and of ,in yet bigger degree, dogs
    demands putting your camera on toddler/dog level.
    With swivel LCD you can do that comfortably and frame carefully.

    It also makes working with your camera on desktop tripod easier.
    You can set LCD looking to direction of where lenses look.
    You can put camera on the ground or hold it above the crowd.

    Very useful, indeed.

    The second feature I love is 'Common mode 1 and 2'
    settings. You just save you settings under 'C1' and here you go -
    you can in one twist get options set that is better suited for you.

    Unfortunally, LCD is small and pretty dark.
    Hope I will solve this by setting some replaceble shading,
    like a 'well' of black paper, I do not get it designed yet.

    A80 is slow focused in low light without flash - common for all
    pocket-size cameras.You wouldn't be able to take pictures in
    dimmed conference hall without tripod, say

    HTH.

    Nick.

    Chicha, Jun 7, 2004
  4. Jim

    Chicha Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message news:<7oSwc.23175$%T.6090@okepread05>...
    > Be careful.
    >
    > My experience with Canon digital camera which has a flash right on top of
    > lens tends to create red eye easily, no matter you select the red eye
    > reduction feature or not.
    >
    > I am getting the pro1 which has a pop up flash hopefully will get rid of
    > this problem and I am buying a Canon 420EX flash in case it does not
    > improve.
    >
    > I have NEVER had issue with red eye in my previous 20 years of film camera
    > life. Maybe I always used either handle or big flash on top of camera which
    > create a distance to the lens. You definitely don't want to see your baby's
    > eyes look like an "vampire" all the time...

    I wander if anybody knows "red-eyes-free" pocket digital camera?

    May be that's why the feature is called 'red eye REDUCTION' ?
    "Hey, look how greatly red color is reduced ...
    "Woo, is almost pale orange. How nice.

    And,to compare inbed flash to outer flash?
    Not fare.

    Use software.

    Nick(Chicha)

    Chicha, Jun 7, 2004
  5. Jim

    FredBillie Guest

    << rom: (Chicha)
    Date: Mon, Jun 7, 2004 8:54 AM

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Be careful.
    >
    > My experience with Canon digital camera which has a flash right on top of
    > lens tends to create red eye easily, no matter you select the red eye
    > reduction feature or not.
    >
    > I am getting the pro1 which has a pop up flash hopefully will get rid of
    > this problem and I am buying a Canon 420EX flash in case it does not
    > improve.
    >
    > I have NEVER had issue with red eye in my previous 20 years of film camera
    > life. Maybe I always used either handle or big flash on top of camera which
    > create a distance to the lens. You definitely don't want to see your baby's
    > eyes look like an "vampire" all the time...

    I wander if anybody knows "red-eyes-free" pocket digital camera?

    May be that's why the feature is called 'red eye REDUCTION' ?
    "Hey, look how greatly red color is reduced ...
    "Woo, is almost pale orange. How nice.

    And,to compare inbed flash to outer flash?
    Not fare.

    Use software.

    Nick(Chicha)

    I am not aware of any compact camera that shoots red eye free but I can tell
    you that I was amazed at the disappearance of red eye when a friend used
    “Easy Print†(software that came with her i860 printer) that found and
    eliminated red eye with one click. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. No
    manual selection of the red eye area first.

    FredBillie, Jun 8, 2004