    I would appreciate some opinions on this please.
    --
    Derrick Fawsitt

    Derrick Fawsitt, Aug 15, 2005

  2. Derrick Fawsitt

    Martin² Guest

    I only use Voipbuster, but AFAIK Voipcheap is the same lot anyway. (Sipgate
    for incoming calls)
    Using softphone from my laptop with headset and via wifi the quality is
    variable from call to call and destination, sometimes the breaks force you /
    other party to repeat a sentence.
    Not usually a problem unless you trying to pass on a long number...!
    Using ordinary phone, plugged to either Draytek of Zyxel VoIP router with
    QoS set up, the quality is always quite acceptable.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Aug 16, 2005

  3. In message <43013422$0$1214$>,
    Martin² <> writes
    >I only use Voipbuster, but AFAIK Voipcheap is the same lot anyway. (Sipgate
    >for incoming calls)
    >Using softphone from my laptop with headset and via wifi the quality is
    >variable from call to call and destination, sometimes the breaks force you /
    >other party to repeat a sentence.
    >Not usually a problem unless you trying to pass on a long number...!
    >Using ordinary phone, plugged to either Draytek of Zyxel VoIP router with
    >QoS set up, the quality is always quite acceptable.
    >Regards,
    >Martin

    Thank you Martin, what you and our other friends in this newsgroup will
    understand is that while I was one of the very first people to use Skype
    and also to make telephone calls on early systems such as HotTelephone,
    (remember it), since then experts like your good self are now making
    calls on VOIP and are using technical terms like "QoS setup" which I am
    afraid I don't understand. I do know about routers like Draytex and
    others but someone needs to write a back to basics explanation of how to
    set up one settings and what you set etc. I have probably explained the
    above badly but if those here don't have the time perhaps you could
    point me to a website where it is all explained in simple terms to start
    with. I know "roughly" about Sipgate but don't understand how it would
    benefit me. I have tried to look at some of these phone systems but as
    far as I can see they charge for calls and the difference from
    conventional calls is insignificant.
    The above reveals my ignorance but also helps to show what I need to
    know.
    --
    Derrick Fawsitt

    Derrick Fawsitt, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Derrick Fawsitt

    Al Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:17:35 +0100, Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

    >I know "roughly" about Sipgate but don't understand how it would
    >benefit me. I have tried to look at some of these phone systems but as
    >far as I can see they charge for calls and the difference from
    >conventional calls is insignificant.

    Sipgate gives you a free geographic number for taking incoming calls.
    VoipCheap or VoipBuster provide you with free geographic calls within
    the uk (and possibly some other countries). The difference in cost
    from conventional calls can be significant!

    Al, Aug 16, 2005