BEst Firefox AD Blocker is ?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Home Theatre Guy, Jun 30, 2006.

  1. Just need one. Even 3 or 4 would be fine :)

    Thanks for any info.

    Home Theatre Guy, Jun 30, 2006

  2. Home Theatre Guy

    Porter Smith Guest

    Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre Guy> wrote in

    > Just need one. Even 3 or 4 would be fine :)
    >
    > Thanks for any info.

    I use the hosts file described here

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Porter Smith, Jun 30, 2006

  3. Home Theatre Guy

    Porter Smith, Jun 30, 2006
  4. Home Theatre Guy

    sf Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:39:38 -0500, Porter Smith wrote:

    > Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre Guy> wrote in
    >
    > > Just need one. Even 3 or 4 would be fine :)
    > >
    > > Thanks for any info.
    > >

    > I use the hosts file described here
    >
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    ditto and it's a great tool

    sf, Jun 30, 2006
  5. Home Theatre Guy

    sf, Jun 30, 2006
  6. Home Theatre Guy

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Home Theatre Guy wrote:

    > Just need one. Even 3 or 4 would be fine :)

    I use the hosts file method described in the other followups here, and
    also Adblock Plus:

    http://adblockplus.org/en/

    --
    Troy Piggins : "My karma just ran over my dogma"
    ,-o

    Troy Piggins, Jul 1, 2006
  7. Home Theatre Guy

    Troy Piggins Guest

    Troy Piggins, Jul 1, 2006
  8. Home Theatre Guy

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jul 1, 2006
  9. Home Theatre Guy

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jul 1, 2006
  10. Home Theatre Guy, Jul 1, 2006
  11. Home Theatre Guy, Jul 1, 2006
  12. Home Theatre Guy

    mike555 Guest

    mike555, Jul 6, 2006
  13. Home Theatre Guy

    mike555 Guest

    mike555, Jul 6, 2006
  14. Home Theatre Guy

    Z Guest

    Home Theatre Guy wrote:
    > Just need one. Even 3 or 4 would be fine :)
    > Thanks for any info.

    I like Adblock plus Adblock Filterset.G Updater.

    Z, Jul 7, 2006
  15. Home Theatre Guy

    Z Guest

    Z, Jul 7, 2006
  16. Home Theatre Guy

    Splibbilla Guest

    "mike555" <> in news::

    > === you could use a proxy type filter , like "Bfilter " from ...
    > http://bfilter.sourceforge.net/ ... you'll need to set up firefox to
    > use it ...====

    oooo, a new one (to me). i must investigate. thanks

    besides the HOSTS files recommended, i must obsessively reiterate proxomitron+grypen (for good reasons).

    also marron's hosts manager is very convenient.
    http://www.google.com/search?q= marron hosts manager

    --
    Bloat Happens, so blatt back

    Splibbilla, Jul 11, 2006
  17. Home Theatre Guy

    Splibbilla, Jul 11, 2006
  18. Home Theatre Guy

    Zygon Curry Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre Guy> wrote in
    >
    >> Just need one. Even 3 or 4 would be fine :)
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info.
    >>

    >I use the hosts file described here
    >
    >http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    I've tried using this HOSTS file as well previously but unfortunately
    it slowed up my whole system to the point where it would appear dead.
    I have an Athlon 64 FX-55 with 1GB of RAM and the HOSTS file still
    stopped it dead.

    Can anyone explain why?

    Zygon Curry, Jul 11, 2006
  19. Home Theatre Guy

    Zygon Curry Guest

    Zygon Curry, Jul 11, 2006
  20. Home Theatre Guy

    Mumia W. Guest

    Zygon Curry wrote:

    > [...] I've tried using [the winhelp2002] HOSTS file
    > as well previously but unfortunately it slowed up my
    > whole system to the point where it would appear
    > dead. I have an Athlon 64 FX-55 with 1GB of RAM and
    > the HOSTS file still stopped it dead.
    >
    > Can anyone explain why?

    Yes, you have to edit the hosts file to contain the
    name of your machine. If your machine's name is
    liars.foxnews.com, and your IP address is 10.36.192.8,
    then your hosts file must have this line in it:

    10.36.192.8 liars.foxnews.com liars

    Mumia W., Jul 12, 2006