    that the file would even be usable. Is there another freeware or trialware
    program that could recover this file?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Chris F., Jul 24, 2011

  2. "Chris F." <> wrote in message
    news:4e2c33d2$0$1954$...
    > I recently deleted a video file by mistake, and emptied it from the
    > recycle bin. I tried downloading several file undelete programs, and the
    > only one that would even find the file was File Undelete 2010. However,
    > this program requires registration before it will recover any files, and
    > it's not worth paying $50 just to recover one file. What's more, there's
    > no guarantee that the file would even be usable. Is there another freeware
    > or trialware program that could recover this file?
    > Thanks for any advice.

    There is no guarantee anywhere that the undelete will be successful. If you
    install or uninstall any other file or program, the odds go down that the
    recovery will be successful. The newly installed, or copied, file will look
    for a cluster and sector that is marked as available, and the space that the
    video file occupies is marked that way. Emptying the recycle bin merely
    "confirms" that the contents of the marked space is now available to be
    used. If you have defragged since emptying the the recycle bin, then
    recovery will be iffy. If you have moved files or added new files, recovery
    is gonna be iffy. If you have installed a new program or application, then
    recovery will be iffy.

    Why would anybody let you recover a file for free when they are in the
    business of selling you a program to do the same job? Most people that need
    to recover a file only need to recover one file, although there are some
    customers that need to recover dozens of files, so if they let you recover
    your file for free, they are not going to get to sell you something.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 24, 2011

  3. Chris F.

    Paul Guest

    Chris F. wrote:
    > I recently deleted a video file by mistake, and emptied it from the
    > recycle bin. I tried downloading several file undelete programs, and the
    > only one that would even find the file was File Undelete 2010. However, this
    > program requires registration before it will recover any files, and it's not
    > worth paying $50 just to recover one file. What's more, there's no guarantee
    > that the file would even be usable. Is there another freeware or trialware
    > program that could recover this file?
    > Thanks for any advice.

    I have no first hand experience with this.

    In my bookmark collection, I have this. This was freeware, originally
    available on its authors website. The software was sold to some other
    company, and the download site closed down. The file before the software
    "went commercial" is still hosted here. One person managed to do some
    free data recovery with this. You can download this, then have it
    scanned on virustotal.com, to give it a quick evaluation.

    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/WoundedMoon/win32/driverescue19d.html

    You can also give this a try. It isn't actually a file undeleter,
    but scans for evidence of certain file types.

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

    The main thing at this point, is not to do any writes to the drive.
    If this is your C: drive, Windows is always doing writes, and will
    quickly obliterate your file with things like System Restore points.
    If the partition in question, is a separate "data" partition, then
    you have more control over writes (at least, if you've disabled
    System Restore on all but C: , which is how I run mine).

    For that matter, depending on where the file was located, you may
    be able to recover it with System Restore. But being a video file,
    it's possible the file is larger than the System Restore cache size.
    Data files stored in "My Documents", are not tracked by System
    Restore, on WinXP. It's data files outside such a directory, that
    might be tracked. I think my System Restore is currently set to
    only about 3GB or so, so my chances of "protecting" a video file
    in that way, are quite limited. But if I "lost" a 64KB JPEG, I
    might be able to get it back, by using the most recent
    restore point. That's because I keep data files, outside
    of the My Documents folder structure.

    I also bookmarked this years ago. A "Wasbit" list of rescue stuff.

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/a0750a9837c96dc3?dmode=source

    One of the first things in that list, is this... I guess
    you only know when a utility like this is "free", when it
    actually gives you the file.

    http://www.octanesoft.com/data_recovery_free_edition.html

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 24, 2011
  4. Chris F.

    Paul Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Chris F. wrote:
    >> I recently deleted a video file by mistake, and emptied it from the
    >> recycle bin. I tried downloading several file undelete programs, and
    >> the only one that would even find the file was File Undelete 2010.
    >> However, this program requires registration before it will recover any
    >> files, and it's not worth paying $50 just to recover one file. What's
    >> more, there's no guarantee that the file would even be usable. Is
    >> there another freeware or trialware program that could recover this file?
    >> Thanks for any advice.

    > I have no first hand experience with this.
    >
    > In my bookmark collection, I have this. This was freeware, originally
    > available on its authors website. The software was sold to some other
    > company, and the download site closed down. The file before the software
    > "went commercial" is still hosted here. One person managed to do some
    > free data recovery with this. You can download this, then have it
    > scanned on virustotal.com, to give it a quick evaluation.
    >
    > http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/WoundedMoon/win32/driverescue19d.html
    >
    > You can also give this a try. It isn't actually a file undeleter,
    > but scans for evidence of certain file types.
    >
    > http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
    >
    > The main thing at this point, is not to do any writes to the drive.
    > If this is your C: drive, Windows is always doing writes, and will
    > quickly obliterate your file with things like System Restore points.
    > If the partition in question, is a separate "data" partition, then
    > you have more control over writes (at least, if you've disabled
    > System Restore on all but C: , which is how I run mine).
    >
    > For that matter, depending on where the file was located, you may
    > be able to recover it with System Restore. But being a video file,
    > it's possible the file is larger than the System Restore cache size.
    > Data files stored in "My Documents", are not tracked by System
    > Restore, on WinXP. It's data files outside such a directory, that
    > might be tracked. I think my System Restore is currently set to
    > only about 3GB or so, so my chances of "protecting" a video file
    > in that way, are quite limited. But if I "lost" a 64KB JPEG, I
    > might be able to get it back, by using the most recent
    > restore point. That's because I keep data files, outside
    > of the My Documents folder structure.
    >
    > I also bookmarked this years ago. A "Wasbit" list of rescue stuff.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/a0750a9837c96dc3?dmode=source
    >

    > One of the first things in that list, is this... I guess
    > you only know when a utility like this is "free", when it
    > actually gives you the file.
    >
    > http://www.octanesoft.com/data_recovery_free_edition.html
    >
    > Paul

    I forgot to mention, before doing anything, I'd back up the partition,
    so that I have a snapshot of it. That way, it might improve the
    odds of stopping writes to the volume. For example, if you
    wait a week to work on this, using a "frozen" image would
    improve the odds of recovery. I would do a sector by sector
    backup, because a regular file backup will not preserve a
    deleted file. But a sector by sector backup will.

    "dd" is an example of a utility that copies sector by sector.
    Utilities like this are very dangerous, especially if you're
    prone to typing mistakes.

    http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

    This would be an example of me "freezing" a copy of a partition
    for later. Using dd --list first, gets the names of the partitions.
    My computed block size and count, is an attempt to make the command
    run faster. On some newer disks, I've discovered it actually runs
    faster, if selecting bs=8192.

    dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 of=winxp.dd bs=129024 count=604031

    To copy with block size 8192, I'd issue the command like this. The
    command in this case, runs until it either finds no more data
    at the source, or runs out of space at the destination. I always
    check the total size of the partition, to make sure it is
    divisible by the block size I select. In the previous example,
    I know my partition was 129024*604031 bytes, or 77,934,495,744 bytes.
    This puts a ~78GB file on the destination drive. And if I wanted
    to name the destination location in a more specific way, the syntax
    would be of=D:\backups\winxp.dd . In this made up example, D:
    would need to be formatted NTFS, to handle such a large single file.

    dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 of=winxp.dd bs=8192

    That program also allows sector by sector copying, from disk
    to disk, like this. For example, I could copy a 250GB drive
    to a 1TB drive, with a command like this. Listing the 1TB drive
    later, it would look *exactly* like the 250GB drive, but with
    750GB unallocated near the end. So exactly in fact, that when
    Windows discovers the drive, it's going to have to change
    the VolumeID on the new drive partitions to prevent confusion.
    You can give this command a block size and count if you want.

    dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition0 of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0

    This is *only* necessary, if you can't manage to complete the
    data recovery operation immediately, and there is a danger
    that System Restore, in the next couple minutes, is going to
    overwrite where that video file used to be located.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 24, 2011