    Is this true? If so are there any free practice test
    resources or affordable alternatives?

    Thanks!

    Shane, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Shane

    JaR Guest

    Shane opined, On 2/17/04 10:45 AM:

    > Hi,
    > I'm just getting started on the MCSE Track. My company is
    > not paying for the training or testing yet. I've heard
    > that the practice exams are the best way to self-study.
    > Is this true? If so are there any free practice test
    > resources or affordable alternatives?
    >
    > Thanks!

    No. Practice tests are just what they say, practice. You use them to
    check your preparedness for an exam. If you can play with your net at
    work, fine. Otherwise set up a home network using VMWare or a couple of
    inexpensive boxes. Check http://www.microsoft.com/learning/default.asp
    for reuirements. Get 180 day eval versions of the sofware. Get books (I
    used Syngress, but others will have other reccomendations. Do the labs.
    Check out what Help has to say on a topic. Finally, remember...Google is
    your best friend.

    Now. When you think you are ready to take an exam, use a practice test
    to check your knowledge and find any weak areas.

    The biggest expense will be your time and sweat.

    JaR
    Thug #0F803000-0F803FFF

    JaR, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Shane

    Jojo Guest

    Well put! I know after I pass a test others ask me if the
    test was hard? My only responce to that is (Not if you
    study)

    Haha!

    Jojo!

    Jojo, Feb 17, 2004

  4. >-----Original Message-----
    >Shane opined, On 2/17/04 10:45 AM:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm just getting started on the MCSE Track. My

    company is
    >> not paying for the training or testing yet. I've

    heard
    >> that the practice exams are the best way to self-

    study.
    >> Is this true? If so are there any free practice test
    >> resources or affordable alternatives?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    >No. Practice tests are just what they say, practice. You

    use them to
    >check your preparedness for an exam. If you can play

    with your net at
    >work, fine. Otherwise set up a home network using VMWare

    or a couple of
    >inexpensive boxes. Check

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/default.asp
    >for reuirements. Get 180 day eval versions of the

    sofware. Get books (I
    >used Syngress, but others will have other

    reccomendations. Do the labs.
    >Check out what Help has to say on a topic. Finally,

    remember...Google is
    >your best friend.
    >
    >Now. When you think you are ready to take an exam, use a

    practice test
    >to check your knowledge and find any weak areas.
    >
    >The biggest expense will be your time and sweat.
    >
    >JaR
    >Thug #0F803000-0F803FFF
    >.

    I agree with JaR - proficiency on the platform is your
    best preparation. The purpose of a practice exam is to
    get you in the right "mind set" prior to taking the exam.

    Bob Ehlenfield
    MCSE 2003 +Security, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2000, MCSA 2000...

    Bob Ehlenfield, Feb 17, 2004
  5. >No. Practice tests are just what they say, practice.

    Unfortunately as we all know, this is not how 'Practice' tests are
    used. The problem is with the simple format of these exams, allow
    those 'practice' test vendors and many other web sites, to develop and
    publish questions which are remarkable like the real exams. As such,
    many people simple buy (or steal) these questions and are able to pass
    the exams simply by 'memorizing' the answers to the questions without
    actually understanding the questions - mad.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 18, 2004
  6. >The purpose of a practice exam is to
    >get you in the right "mind set" prior to taking the exam.

    The format of these exams is very simple.

    Anyone who cannot understand such a format would find a career in the
    local drive-through too taxing and would certainly have no chance in
    IT.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 18, 2004