    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Cheers

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Paul

    Linda_N Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    news:clg3fd$8k1$...
    >I need a good entry level digital camera that will basically be used by a
    > novice to point and shoot. Use will be holidays, family events etc but
    > needs to be easy to use and have a format that's easy to transfer stills
    > PC. Budget is up to about £100. Advice on the best storage media would
    > also be very welcome, as would links/hints to the cheapest deals ;-)

    check out Canon models on http://www.dpreview.com

    I say Canon because it is one of the makers who use Compact Flash (CF) which
    is the cheapest form of storage out of the cards (floppy not included nor
    cd/dvd all of which I would not consider reliable nor good for storage).

    Once you know what form of storage you are going with buy a card reader.
    Transferring files is much easier and faster using a card reader, plus it is
    zero risk and wear and tear to your camera, unlike hooking a camera to pc.

    A really fun, affordable (although about your 100 limit) is the Canon S1 IS.
    It comes in at $399 usd though (cheaper if you shop around). It has full
    Auto mode if all you want to do is point and shoot, but you still get the
    advantage of the really good 10x optical zoom for those moments you want to
    get closer to your subject.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 24, 2004

  3. You might try the Samsung 420. It is a point and shoot with numerous
    options and gives reasonably good photos.

    S. Thomas Lewis, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Paul

    JohnR Guest

    Fujifilm A330. 3 megpixel. recent price drop puts 'em at $150 (US). It runs
    fine on 2 AA alkaline. I've now taken 100 pictures with the LCD on and many
    flashes and no low batteries yet. It has 3X zoom (I'd advise against getting
    a camera without an optical zoom).

    The two best things about the camera is the image quality and metering. I
    compared it to the Canon A85 (4MP) and the A330 image is clearly sharper.
    The metering is the best of any camera I've used. It has yet to blow out or
    underexpose a shot.

    The only complaint is low light autofocus. They should have included an
    assist light.
    John

    JohnR, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Paul

    MaryD Guest

    "JohnR" <> wrote in message
    > Fujifilm A330. 3 megpixel. recent price drop puts 'em at $150 (US). It

    runs
    > fine on 2 AA alkaline. I've now taken 100 pictures with the LCD on and

    many
    > flashes and no low batteries yet. It has 3X zoom (I'd advise against

    getting
    > a camera without an optical zoom).
    >
    > The two best things about the camera is the image quality and metering. I
    > compared it to the Canon A85 (4MP) and the A330 image is clearly sharper.
    > The metering is the best of any camera I've used. It has yet to blow out

    or
    > underexpose a shot.

    Hope you don't mind me butting in here, but I was wondering about that
    camera myself. I am in Canada, but I notice that camera has dropped a little
    in price here also. I notice that Fuji and some other brand, uses a
    different kind of memory card - Xcard or something? isn't SD memory card
    more popular? I was wondering if its a good idea to buy a camera with a
    popular memory card. Would it be cheaper? or does it not make any
    difference?

    > The only complaint is low light autofocus. They should have included an
    > assist light.

    Do you mean that its hard to see through the viewfinder when its dull or a
    dark day?

    MaryD

    MaryD, Oct 25, 2004