best dvd recorders

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by count, Sep 22, 2006.

  1. count

    count Guest

    It seems like some recorders are more reliable and will have copies
    that play on more machines than do others. I guess sony is a safe bet.
    any suggestions on the most reliable machines, or the most reliable
    brands of dvd-r media.
     
    count, Sep 22, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. count

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On 21 Sep 2006 21:31:54 -0700, "count" <> wrote:

    >It seems like some recorders are more reliable and will have copies
    >that play on more machines than do others. I guess sony is a safe bet.


    Stay away from Sony. They sell OEM units and then won't service them.

    >any suggestions on the most reliable machines,


    Pioneer has a high rating.

    Check out the many forums for comments.

    http://forum.videohelp.com/viewforum.php?f=28
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

    >or the most reliable brands of dvd-r media.


    There is only one brand to consider - Taiyo Yuden. Do not buy anything
    else in +/-R. If you want +/-RW, then only get MCC Verbatim.

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146146

    Whereas other brands used to be reliable, that cannot be said today
    because everyone but TY buys cheap crap from Taiwan. Only TY makes
    their own products in Japan.

    And the good news is that TY is inexpensive, if you know where to
    look. I buy TY 8x -R discs at rima.com. I don't trust burning at 16x
    and the time difference between 12x and 8x is not enough to justify
    the higher cost of 16x discs.

    Some people get 4x but I have found TY 8x -Rs to be extremely
    reliable. Out of several hundred burns, I only had one coaster. Just
    make sure you run the "Verify" function, because most errors show up
    on readback.





    --

    "There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
    --Mark Twain
     
    Citizen Bob, Sep 22, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. count

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:27:10 GMT, (Citizen Bob) wrote:

    >>any suggestions on the most reliable machines,


    >Pioneer has a high rating.


    No more than I posted this comment than I found out that Pioneer is no
    longer developing standard DVD recorders. They will sell products made
    by others, in particular Panasonic.

    http://www.dvdrecorderworld.com/news/368
    http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2006/06/04/afx2791621.html

    I am becoming more convinced that the smart way to deal with this is
    to get low end unit from Best Buy with an extended warranty. The price
    would be cheaper and it now becomes Best Buy's headache, assuming you
    get a full replacement warranty.


    --

    "There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
    --Mark Twain
     
    Citizen Bob, Sep 22, 2006
    #3
  4. count

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On 21 Sep 2006 21:31:54 -0700, "count" <> wrote:
    >
    >>It seems like some recorders are more reliable and will have copies
    >>that play on more machines than do others. I guess sony is a safe bet.

    >
    >Stay away from Sony. They sell OEM units and then won't service them.
    >

    My RDR-GX7 has been rock solid for years now. I in fact just bought 2 more of
    them off of ebay.

    >>any suggestions on the most reliable machines,

    >
    >Pioneer has a high rating.
    >

    Good burn, crappy tuners.

    >Check out the many forums for comments.
    >
    >http://forum.videohelp.com/viewforum.php?f=28
    >http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89
    >
    >>or the most reliable brands of dvd-r media.

    >
    >There is only one brand to consider - Taiyo Yuden. Do not buy anything
    >else in +/-R. If you want +/-RW, then only get MCC Verbatim.
    >
    >http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146146
    >
    >Whereas other brands used to be reliable, that cannot be said today
    >because everyone but TY buys cheap crap from Taiwan. Only TY makes
    >their own products in Japan.
    >
    >And the good news is that TY is inexpensive, if you know where to
    >look. I buy TY 8x -R discs at rima.com. I don't trust burning at 16x
    >and the time difference between 12x and 8x is not enough to justify
    >the higher cost of 16x discs.
    >
    >Some people get 4x but I have found TY 8x -Rs to be extremely
    >reliable. Out of several hundred burns, I only had one coaster. Just
    >make sure you run the "Verify" function, because most errors show up
    >on readback.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
     
    GMAN, Sep 22, 2006
    #4
  5. "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    news:ef1948$467$...

    > My RDR-GX7 has been rock solid for years now. I in fact just bought 2 more
    > of
    > them off of ebay.


    I have to agree with you. After using the Sony RDR-GX300 for a few months I
    liked it so much I bought another two (much cheaper floor models from
    Tweeter and Sears), because it had already been replaced by the GX-315. The
    GX-7 and 300 seem better made than their later models. I've had no problems
    with them...excellent recording quality and their on-screen menus are really
    slick, or sleek, or both.
     
    Alan Grossberg, Sep 22, 2006
    #5
  6. count

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:45:14 -0400, "Alan Grossberg"
    <> wrote:

    >> My RDR-GX7 has been rock solid for years now. I in fact just bought 2 more
    >> of them off of ebay.


    >I have to agree with you. After using the Sony RDR-GX300 for a few months I
    >liked it so much I bought another two (much cheaper floor models from
    >Tweeter and Sears), because it had already been replaced by the GX-315. The
    >GX-7 and 300 seem better made than their later models. I've had no problems
    >with them...excellent recording quality and their on-screen menus are really
    >slick, or sleek, or both.


    What about customer support and new firmware?


    --

    "There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
    --Mark Twain
     
    Citizen Bob, Sep 23, 2006
    #6
  7. count

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:45:14 -0400, "Alan Grossberg"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>> My RDR-GX7 has been rock solid for years now. I in fact just bought 2 more
    >>> of them off of ebay.

    >
    >>I have to agree with you. After using the Sony RDR-GX300 for a few months I
    >>liked it so much I bought another two (much cheaper floor models from
    >>Tweeter and Sears), because it had already been replaced by the GX-315. The
    >>GX-7 and 300 seem better made than their later models. I've had no problems
    >>with them...excellent recording quality and their on-screen menus are really
    >>slick, or sleek, or both.

    >
    >What about customer support and new firmware?
    >
    >

    Why do i need to constantly update firmware if they workd the way they are out
    of the box? They have yet to puke on ANY brand of disk fed them. 1X , 4X , 8x,
    16X media has all worked fine on these units. I dont need a hack or such to
    disable macrovision ans i use a pro TBC made by FOR-A

    http://www.for-a.com/products/fa350p/fa350p.html

    The only thing the GX7 doesnt support is DVD+R , but thats due to the players
    age. The DVD+RW camp never originally planned to do a write once + format.
     
    GMAN, Sep 23, 2006
    #7
  8. count

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:04:39 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >>What about customer support and new firmware?


    >Why do i need to constantly update firmware if they workd the way they are out
    >of the box?


    That's a huge assumption. Products do get to market with embedded
    flaws that can be fixed with f.w revisions.

    Then there's the matter of updates. For example, my daughter and her
    husband have a Sony but it does not play AVIs because is is missing a
    DivX/XviD codec, which could be installed with a f/w update.

    My son bought a Sony DVD burner but it was producing too many
    coasters, so I contacted Sony and they told me they did not support
    that unit because it was OEM. I contacted LiteOn and they told me that
    Sony was responsible. That's when I swore I would never get near
    another Sony piece of shit again. I managed to talk the vendor in
    exchanging it for a NEC 3540 at no cost.

    Sony is a bunch of arrogant assholes.

    ..
    --

    "There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
    --Mark Twain
     
    Citizen Bob, Sep 23, 2006
    #8
  9. count

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:04:39 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>>What about customer support and new firmware?

    >


    I never have had a problem with Sony and their online or phone support. And
    they use english support personnel unlike many of your other brands like
    panasonic or NEC, who outsource to pakistan and India

    >>Why do i need to constantly update firmware if they workd the way they are out

    >
    >>of the box?

    >
    >That's a huge assumption. Products do get to market with embedded
    >flaws that can be fixed with f.w revisions.
    >

    It doesnt always have to be a user option . If there were any catastophic
    firmware flaws, Sony allows you to take the unit to a repair shop for a free
    firmware flash. I already walked in and had one of the three done since it was
    a earlier firmware. But yes i agree that a user firmware is preferrable but is
    not needed.

    >Then there's the matter of updates. For example, my daughter and her
    >husband have a Sony but it does not play AVIs because is is missing a
    >DivX/XviD codec, which could be installed with a f/w update.


    I don't expect functions to be added that wasnt advertised when i bought it.
    Yes , its a nice addition to add AVI support but i dont expect what i didnt
    buy

    IMHO, Divx/Xvid is a hack codec.




    >
    >My son bought a Sony DVD burner but it was producing too many
    >coasters, so I contacted Sony and they told me they did not support
    >that unit because it was OEM. I contacted LiteOn and they told me that
    >Sony was responsible. That's when I swore I would never get near
    >another Sony piece of shit again. I managed to talk the vendor in
    >exchanging it for a NEC 3540 at no cost.
    >
    >Sony is a bunch of arrogant assholes.
    >



    If it wasn't bought directly from Sony, or frm a retailer in a retail Sony box
    then they are correct. It is the responsibility of the OEM like Dell, Mad Dog,
    etc to provide support and firmware and service... What part of that don't you
    understand?
     
    GMAN, Sep 23, 2006
    #9
  10. count

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:26:37 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >IMHO, Divx/Xvid is a hack codec.


    Why do you say that? It's does a pretty good job for medium
    resolution.

    >If it wasn't bought directly from Sony, or frm a retailer in a retail Sony box
    >then they are correct.


    That is how it was sold to my son. It was sold as a SONY unit.

    It is the responsibility of the OEM like Dell, Mad Dog,
    >etc to provide support and firmware and service... What part of that don't you
    >understand?


    The part where there is the name "SONY" on the unit. And the part
    where the firmware was burnt into the unit by SONY. When the BIOS
    reported the drive at POST, it reported a SONY drive with SONY
    firmware and SONY model number..

    "Sony DW-D26A 16X DVD+/-RW DVD Burner, Double Layer 4X DVD+R, OEM"

    I buy "OEM" products all the time, and the brander makes good on them.


    Since the unit was a LiteOn, I contacted them and they told me that
    the unit was branded by SONY who was totally responsible for it.

    Remember that SONY burnt its firmware into the unit, and by so doing
    branded it. But they would not acknowledge their responsibility so I
    threw it back at them - and swore I would never buy anything made by
    SONY.


    --

    "There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
    --Mark Twain
     
    Citizen Bob, Sep 24, 2006
    #10
  11. count

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <ef3pf8$l9o$>,
    GMAN <> wrote:
    >In article <>, wrote:
    >>On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:45:14 -0400, "Alan Grossberg"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>> My RDR-GX7 has been rock solid for years now. I in fact just bought 2 more
    >>>> of them off of ebay.

    >>
    >>>I have to agree with you. After using the Sony RDR-GX300 for a few months I
    >>>liked it so much I bought another two (much cheaper floor models from
    >>>Tweeter and Sears), because it had already been replaced by the GX-315. The
    >>>GX-7 and 300 seem better made than their later models. I've had no problems
    >>>with them...excellent recording quality and their on-screen menus are really
    >>>slick, or sleek, or both.

    >>
    >>What about customer support and new firmware?
    >>
    >>

    >Why do i need to constantly update firmware if they workd the way they are out
    >of the box? They have yet to puke on ANY brand of disk fed them. 1X , 4X , 8x,
    >16X media has all worked fine on these units. I dont need a hack or such to
    >disable macrovision ans i use a pro TBC made by FOR-A


    If your recorder is in use long enough that the blanks you are using go
    out of production, and are superceded by new formulations that are not in
    the media code table of your recorder, you may have a problem. The unit
    may, indeed, begin to "puke" on some blanks, or produce burns that are
    subpar and not play on many machines. Since the media pool is always
    fluid, this is the primary reason why products that record to optical
    media have periodic firmware updates. The drive needs to have the proper
    write strategy for the blanks it writes to.

    I have a 4 year old Panasonic DMR-E30 which is still in use; however, by
    last year it was choking on some newer 8X and 16X media which were not
    even dreamed of when the burner unit inside was originally programmed.
    Panasonic issued a firmware update for that (and numerous older units)
    which added compatibility and reliability for newer media.
     
    Mike S., Sep 24, 2006
    #11
  12. count

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:26:37 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>IMHO, Divx/Xvid is a hack codec.

    >
    >Why do you say that? It's does a pretty good job for medium
    >resolution.
    >
    >>If it wasn't bought directly from Sony, or frm a retailer in a retail Sony box

    >
    >>then they are correct.

    >
    >That is how it was sold to my son. It was sold as a SONY unit.
    >
    > It is the responsibility of the OEM like Dell, Mad Dog,
    >>etc to provide support and firmware and service... What part of that don't you

    >
    >>understand?

    >
    >The part where there is the name "SONY" on the unit. And the part
    >where the firmware was burnt into the unit by SONY. When the BIOS
    >reported the drive at POST, it reported a SONY drive with SONY
    >firmware and SONY model number..
    >
    >"Sony DW-D26A 16X DVD+/-RW DVD Burner, Double Layer 4X DVD+R, OEM"
    >
    >I buy "OEM" products all the time, and the brander makes good on them.
    >
    >
    >Since the unit was a LiteOn, I contacted them and they told me that
    >the unit was branded by SONY who was totally responsible for it.
    >
    >Remember that SONY burnt its firmware into the unit, and by so doing
    >branded it. But they would not acknowledge their responsibility so I
    >threw it back at them - and swore I would never buy anything made by
    >SONY.
    >
    >


    Did it say sony on the outter box?
     
    GMAN, Sep 25, 2006
    #12
  13. count

    GMAN Guest

    In article <ef64jj$p0q$>, (Mike S.) wrote:
    >
    >In article <ef3pf8$l9o$>,
    >GMAN <> wrote:
    >>In article <>,

    > wrote:
    >>>On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:45:14 -0400, "Alan Grossberg"
    >>><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>> My RDR-GX7 has been rock solid for years now. I in fact just bought 2 more

    >
    >>>>> of them off of ebay.
    >>>
    >>>>I have to agree with you. After using the Sony RDR-GX300 for a few months I
    >>>>liked it so much I bought another two (much cheaper floor models from
    >>>>Tweeter and Sears), because it had already been replaced by the GX-315. The
    >>>>GX-7 and 300 seem better made than their later models. I've had no problems
    >>>>with them...excellent recording quality and their on-screen menus are really

    >
    >>>>slick, or sleek, or both.
    >>>
    >>>What about customer support and new firmware?
    >>>
    >>>

    >>Why do i need to constantly update firmware if they workd the way they are out

    >
    >>of the box? They have yet to puke on ANY brand of disk fed them. 1X , 4X , 8x,

    >
    >>16X media has all worked fine on these units. I dont need a hack or such to
    >>disable macrovision ans i use a pro TBC made by FOR-A

    >
    >If your recorder is in use long enough that the blanks you are using go
    >out of production, and are superceded by new formulations that are not in
    >the media code table of your recorder, you may have a problem. The unit
    >may, indeed, begin to "puke" on some blanks, or produce burns that are
    >subpar and not play on many machines. Since the media pool is always
    >fluid, this is the primary reason why products that record to optical
    >media have periodic firmware updates. The drive needs to have the proper
    >write strategy for the blanks it writes to.
    >
    >I have a 4 year old Panasonic DMR-E30 which is still in use; however, by
    >last year it was choking on some newer 8X and 16X media which were not
    >even dreamed of when the burner unit inside was originally programmed.
    >Panasonic issued a firmware update for that (and numerous older units)
    >which added compatibility and reliability for newer media.
    >
    >

    I never said Sony didnt make firmware available. But it is by request.


    I have had the unit for 3 years now and very media has worked.
     
    GMAN, Sep 25, 2006
    #13
  14. count

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:13:59 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >Did it say sony on the outter box?


    There was no outer box. OEM units come in plastic sacks.

    But it did say Sony on the unit itself. And the BIOS reported Sony.
    And Win2K reported Sony.

    There is no doubt that was a Sony unit. Yet Sony disowned it. They
    claimed because it was an OEM unit, they did not have any
    responsibility for it. In fact there wasn't even a model number for it
    anywhere on the Sony database.

    However once Sony put its name on it and especially once it programmed
    the firmware, it became a Sony branded unit, regardless of its OEM
    history.


    --

    "There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
    --Mark Twain
     
    Citizen Bob, Sep 25, 2006
    #14
  15. count

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:13:59 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Did it say sony on the outter box?

    >
    >There was no outer box. OEM units come in plastic sacks.
    >


    Those drive are meant to be sold only as units for manufacturers like Dell,
    and other local resellers to place into their prebuilt PC's for resell. It is
    up to the small store or reseller you bought it from to provide support.

    No manufacturer is going to provide support to you for a plastic bag bought
    drive that was never meant to be sold to an end user that way.



    >But it did say Sony on the unit itself. And the BIOS reported Sony.
    >And Win2K reported Sony.
    >
    >There is no doubt that was a Sony unit. Yet Sony disowned it. They
    >claimed because it was an OEM unit, they did not have any
    >responsibility for it. In fact there wasn't even a model number for it
    >anywhere on the Sony database.
    >
    >However once Sony put its name on it and especially once it programmed
    >the firmware, it became a Sony branded unit, regardless of its OEM
    >history.
    >
    >
     
    GMAN, Sep 25, 2006
    #15
  16. count

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:43:50 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >Those drive are meant to be sold only as units for manufacturers like Dell,
    >and other local resellers to place into their prebuilt PC's for resell. It is
    >up to the small store or reseller you bought it from to provide support.


    You are wrong. OEM products are sold everywhere and they have direct
    factory support.

    All I wanted was a firmware upgrade but Sony would not comply.

    >No manufacturer is going to provide support to you for a plastic bag bought
    >drive that was never meant to be sold to an end user that way.


    That's really weird because in the past I have gotten direct factory
    support for any number of OEM products, like hard drives, modems,
    optical drives, routers, etc.

    Sony was just being obstinant, so they lost a customer for life. And
    it you are smart, you won't buy any of their unsupported crap either.


    --

    "There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
    --Mark Twain
     
    Citizen Bob, Sep 26, 2006
    #16
  17. count

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:43:50 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Those drive are meant to be sold only as units for manufacturers like Dell,
    >>and other local resellers to place into their prebuilt PC's for resell. It is
    >>up to the small store or reseller you bought it from to provide support.

    >




    >You are wrong. OEM products are sold everywhere and they have direct
    >factory support.

    I am not wrong

    Those plastic baggie drives are not and have never meant to be sold to end
    users. They are for manufacturing use only by resellers into their products
    for resell. The small pc parts store you bough it from is Sony's customer, you
    are not. I had the same problem with a TTGI Power supply recently. I had to
    return it to the store, who in turn returned it to the manufacturer for
    replacement. The store http://www.ebccomputers.com/ was considered by
    http://www.super-flower.com/america.html to be the purchaser of the item, and
    as such the PS was meant for sale only as a finished PC. Why do you think
    there is basically no warranty other than what the store provides on items
    such a Intel Processors etc....??????

    People feel free to chime in here.

    >
    >All I wanted was a firmware upgrade but Sony would not comply.
    >
    >>No manufacturer is going to provide support to you for a plastic bag bought
    >>drive that was never meant to be sold to an end user that way.

    >
    >That's really weird because in the past I have gotten direct factory
    >support for any number of OEM products, like hard drives, modems,
    >optical drives, routers, etc.


    Well thats up to the specific manufacturers and their policies etc.

    If the drive they supply is exactly the same as their boxed products that are
    sold thru best Buy or CompUSA, then sure, the firmware from the website will
    work, but more times than not, thedrive I'd string is different or
    specifically modified or features added at the request of the reseller or
    rebadger like Maddog or Benq etc....

    OEM hard drives from WD usually dont have any manufacturers warranty, only
    thru the oem reseller.




    >
    >Sony was just being obstinant, so they lost a customer for life. And
    >it you are smart, you won't buy any of their unsupported crap either.
    >
    >


    I dont walk that gay "Oh, they dropped a root kit on Sony music CD's, lets
    have a baby fit and hate all Sony products bullshit".

    Unsupported crap, look who's talking . You bought your noname settop recorder
    from a company involved in criminal activity(Cyberhome), let talk about
    unsupported crap!!!!! My Sony RDR-GX7 will be recording disks years longer
    than that drive.
     
    GMAN, Sep 26, 2006
    #17
  18. count

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:28:07 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    > Those plastic baggie drives are not and have never meant to be sold to end
    >users.


    Imagine that I am not an end user. Imagine that I am a system
    integrator. I therefore qualify as a legitimate user of OEM products.

    Does that mean Sony will support their products for me?

    >The small pc parts store you bough it from is Sony's customer


    LOL. You do not know what you are talking about. My son bought it from
    Directron, a huge distributor in Houston.

    http://www.directron.com/

    Directron also owns another large distributor called Axion Tech which
    is housed in the same huge building.

    http://www.axiontech.com/

    No, it is not Dell but it isn't a "small pc parts store" as you
    mischaracterized it.

    >People feel free to chime in here.


    If you do, please get your facts right before posting.

    >You bought your noname settop recorder
    >from a company involved in criminal activity(Cyberhome), let talk about
    >unsupported crap!!!!!


    You are wrong again.

    I bought that unit from WalMart which supported it by replacing it 3
    times with no questions asked.

    What "criminal activity" is Cyberhome engaged in?


    --

    With or without govt, you would have good people doing
    good things and evil people doing evil things. But for
    good people to do evil things, that takes govt.
     
    Citizen Bob, Sep 27, 2006
    #18
  19. count

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:28:07 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >> Those plastic baggie drives are not and have never meant to be sold to end
    >>users.

    >
    >Imagine that I am not an end user. Imagine that I am a system
    >integrator. I therefore qualify as a legitimate user of OEM products.
    >
    >Does that mean Sony will support their products for me?
    >

    It should if you are a legitimate reseller of their product and you have
    agreements with them to do so. If you aren't or dont then the items you resell
    are considered grey market.



    >>The small pc parts store you bough it from is Sony's customer

    >
    >LOL. You do not know what you are talking about. My son bought it from
    >Directron, a huge distributor in Houston.
    >
    >http://www.directron.com/



    Its still a reseller of parts, generally these bagged parts are for OEM's ,
    not end users.



    >Directron also owns another large distributor called Axion Tech which
    >is housed in the same huge building.
    >
    >http://www.axiontech.com/
    >
    >No, it is not Dell but it isn't a "small pc parts store" as you
    >mischaracterized it.
    >
    >>People feel free to chime in here.

    >
    >If you do, please get your facts right before posting.
    >


    OEM means no support from the manufacturer, only from the OEM . Thats the fact
    jack!

    >>You bought your noname settop recorder
    >>from a company involved in criminal activity(Cyberhome), let talk about
    >>unsupported crap!!!!!

    >
    >You are wrong again.
    >


    So you are claiming you don't own a Cyberhome ???

    >I bought that unit from WalMart which supported it by replacing it 3
    >times with no questions asked.


    Because no one at Walmart knows their ass from their foot.
    >
    >What "criminal activity" is Cyberhome engaged in?
    >
    >

    They are caput , they manufactured over 20000 DVD Recorder units without
    paying royalties to Philips.

    http://www.twice.com/article/CA6344162.html
    San Jose, Calif. — A task force of local, state and federal agencies seized
    more than 20,000 CyberHome-brand DVD recorders that allegedly use Philips
    patents without a license.
     
    GMAN, Sep 27, 2006
    #19
  20. count

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:38:46 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >>Does that mean Sony will support their products for me?


    >It should if you are a legitimate reseller of their product and you have
    >agreements with them to do so. If you aren't or dont then the items you resell
    >are considered grey market.


    The product is not even listed in the Sony inventory. I had a tech
    support person check, and she told me there is no such part number.

    >>>The small pc parts store you bough it from is Sony's customer


    >>LOL. You do not know what you are talking about. My son bought it from
    >>Directron, a huge distributor in Houston.


    >>http://www.directron.com/


    >Its still a reseller of parts, generally these bagged parts are for OEM's ,
    >not end users.


    Yes, it is a reseller of parts, and not a "small pc parts store" as
    you attempted to characterize it.

    >OEM means no support from the manufacturer, only from the OEM.


    That is nonsense. I have gotten support as an end user from many
    manufacturers of OEM products. And they had these products listed in
    their product lists.

    >So you are claiming you don't own a Cyberhome ???


    You can't read.

    >>I bought that unit from WalMart which supported it by replacing it 3
    >>times with no questions asked.


    >Because no one at Walmart knows their ass from their foot.


    Nevertheless I was able to exchange it three times.

    >>What "criminal activity" is Cyberhome engaged in?


    >They are caput , they manufactured over 20000 DVD Recorder units without
    >paying royalties to Philips.


    How does that make them "criminal"?

    You are totally wrong about this OEM thing.


    --

    Govt is an insult to human dignity. With or without govt,
    you would have good people doing good things and evil
    people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil
    things, that takes govt. Govt is the root of all evil.
     
    Citizen Bob, Sep 28, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andy Mann

    DVD Recorders

    Andy Mann, Apr 14, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    520
    Andy Mann
    Apr 16, 2005
  2. Kenny

    TIVO, DVD Recorders to Be USELESS

    Kenny, Oct 2, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    444
  3. metn41
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    3,118
    Buckaroo
    Aug 5, 2003
  4. Jonny Q.
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    558
    Jonny Q.
    Nov 2, 2004
  5. Dan E
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    487
    Dan E
    Jun 6, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page