Best DVD Experience Ever: Miyazaki

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tweek, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. Tweek

    Tweek Guest

    I am loving the new release of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

    I discovered this movie at twelve years old, when I taped it off pay TV.
    Then when I was 16 I found a terribly abused VHS copy for $5. Both those
    versions were the version called "Warriors of the Wind," which has about 40
    minutes cut out from the real version.

    I bought the DVD on Wednesday, and I think this is the best experience I've
    ever had watching a DVD. It was widescreen. It was the complete cut. It was
    in 5.1 surround, and the picture quality was unbelievable. I got that
    "cherry" feeling I got at twelve, when Miyazaki's designs and sense of
    motion first seized my imagination. Now I've bought Porco Rosso, which I
    hadn't yet seen. Now I really have to find My Neighbor Totoro and Castle of
    Cagliostro.

    Ah, bliss.

    --
    Tweek

    Tweek, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Tweek

    Tweek Guest

    > I discovered this movie at twelve years old, when I taped it off pay TV.
    > Then when I was 16 I found a terribly abused VHS copy for $5. Both those
    > versions were the version called "Warriors of the Wind," which has about

    40
    > minutes cut out from the real version.

    Uh, sorry for using the same word three times in one paragraph.

    --
    Tweek

    Tweek, Feb 26, 2005

  3. Tweek

    AceoHearts Guest

    My Neighbor Totoro can be found in the 2 for $11 bin at Wal-Mart and the
    $5.99 racks at Best Buy. It is a single disc version of the movie. They
    were supposed to release a 2 disc version last year, but it was delayed for
    some reason. For the price, get the single disc version, then upgrade when
    they finally release the deluxe edition.

    AceoHearts

    AceoHearts, Feb 26, 2005
  4. Tweek

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <Wy1Ud.39071$>, AceoHearts
    <> wrote:

    > My Neighbor Totoro can be found in the 2 for $11 bin at Wal-Mart and the
    > $5.99 racks at Best Buy. It is a single disc version of the movie. They
    > were supposed to release a 2 disc version last year, but it was delayed for
    > some reason. For the price, get the single disc version, then upgrade when
    > they finally release the deluxe edition.

    The reason is they're probably waiting for the old Totoro disks from
    FOX to totally disapear before Disney releases their new version
    (letterboxed with a new dub).

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Feb 26, 2005
  5. Tweek

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Tweek" <> wrote in message
    > It was
    > in 5.1 surround,

    It's not 5.1.

    Joshua Zyber, Feb 26, 2005
  6. Tweek wrote:

    > I am loving the new release of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
    >
    > I discovered this movie at twelve years old, when I taped it off pay TV.
    > Then when I was 16 I found a terribly abused VHS copy for $5. Both those
    > versions were the version called "Warriors of the Wind," which has about 40
    > minutes cut out from the real version.
    >
    > I bought the DVD on Wednesday, and I think this is the best experience I've
    > ever had watching a DVD. It was widescreen. It was the complete cut. It was
    > in 5.1 surround, and the picture quality was unbelievable. I got that
    > "cherry" feeling I got at twelve, when Miyazaki's designs and sense of
    > motion first seized my imagination. Now I've bought Porco Rosso, which I
    > hadn't yet seen. Now I really have to find My Neighbor Totoro and Castle of
    > Cagliostro.

    MangaUS's version of Cagliostro is pretty darn clean, WS, and improved
    on the
    old dub (even if the old Streamline had a better voice for the Inspector)--
    And if you want Totoro, fine, but you might hold out a year, since Disney's
    still holding it up their sleeves for one last wave next year.

    > Uh, sorry for using the same word three times in one paragraph.

    Oh, no, that's okay, I use "the" plenty of times myself. ;)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 26, 2005
  7. Invid Fan wrote:

    >>My Neighbor Totoro can be found in the 2 for $11 bin at Wal-Mart and the
    >>$5.99 racks at Best Buy. It is a single disc version of the movie. They
    >>were supposed to release a 2 disc version last year, but it was delayed for
    >>some reason. For the price, get the single disc version, then upgrade when
    >>they finally release the deluxe edition.

    > The reason is they're probably waiting for the old Totoro disks from
    > FOX to totally disapear before Disney releases their new version
    > (letterboxed with a new dub).

    The "official" reason given was last-minute "technical problems" that
    would have kept them from the release date--
    Which came as a surprise to about 90% of the fans, who'd already written
    it off as Disney holding it back to have something marketable to release
    when "Howl's Moving Castle" goes to disk in '06.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 26, 2005
  8. Tweek

    Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:

    > MangaUS's version of Cagliostro is pretty darn clean, WS, and

    improved
    > on the
    > old dub

    I disaree, the print Manga used for their DVD is riddled with cigarette
    burns (reel change markers), poor Japanese mono audio, and has some
    animation mistakes in it that Myazaki himself later fixed. Which dub
    is better is a matter of taste, IMO.

    Buena Vista (Disney) released a MUCH better corrected print on their R2
    Japan release, though the english audio uses the Streamline dub and
    (oddly) dubtitles based on the Streamline version. Manga has no plans
    to release a special edition of CoC, which is puzzling since CoC
    *still* is a good seller due to Myazaki's newfound mass poplarity in
    the west.

    , Feb 27, 2005
  9. Tweek

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Derek Janssen wrote:
    >

    > > MangaUS's version of Cagliostro is pretty darn clean, WS, and

    > improved
    > > on the
    > > old dub

    > I disaree, the print Manga used for their DVD is riddled with cigarette
    > burns (reel change markers), poor Japanese mono audio, and has some
    > animation mistakes in it that Myazaki himself later fixed. Which dub
    > is better is a matter of taste, IMO.

    Have to admit, if the animation mistakes were original I don't care if
    they're corrected or not. 'Rescuers Down Under' wouldn't be the same if
    they corrected the continuity errors with the eagle feather :)

    > Buena Vista (Disney) released a MUCH better corrected print on their R2
    > Japan release, though the english audio uses the Streamline dub and
    > (oddly) dubtitles based on the Streamline version.

    Very odd, given that Streamline did a subtitled theatrical print with a
    more accurate translation then the dub (doesn't have the "Should have
    worn an Asbestus suit" line, for example).

    > Manga has no plans
    > to release a special edition of CoC, which is puzzling since CoC
    > *still* is a good seller due to Myazaki's newfound mass poplarity in
    > the west.

    .... because it's still a good seller. Just keep the original in print,
    don't spend more money if you don't have to. Manga was just sold, iirc,
    and hasn't released or announced much this past year.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Feb 27, 2005
  10. Tweek

    Ocelot Guest

    Invid Fan <> wrote in message news:<260220052051503470%>...
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Derek Janssen wrote:
    > >

    > > > MangaUS's version of Cagliostro is pretty darn clean, WS, and

    > > improved
    > > > on the
    > > > old dub

    > > I disaree, the print Manga used for their DVD is riddled with cigarette
    > > burns (reel change markers), poor Japanese mono audio, and has some
    > > animation mistakes in it that Myazaki himself later fixed. Which dub
    > > is better is a matter of taste, IMO.
    > >

    > Have to admit, if the animation mistakes were original I don't care if
    > they're corrected or not. 'Rescuers Down Under' wouldn't be the same if
    > they corrected the continuity errors with the eagle feather :)

    True, I was just pointing it out for differences sake though. I'm no
    real fan of film revisionism either.

    > > Buena Vista (Disney) released a MUCH better corrected print on their R2
    > > Japan release, though the english audio uses the Streamline dub and
    > > (oddly) dubtitles based on the Streamline version.

    > Very odd, given that Streamline did a subtitled theatrical print with a
    > more accurate translation then the dub (doesn't have the "Should have
    > worn an Asbestus suit" line, for example).

    The story I heard was that the subtitles are more for Japanese
    learning english, to follow along with the dub (never mind the fact
    that there's a lot of dialoue added in the dub where there wasn't any
    in the original). My question is why did they resurrect the
    Streamline dub anyway? Streamline doesn't exist any more since Orion
    went bust. Toho released the Streamline dub on LD in Japan so I bet
    BV got the dub from them.

    > > Manga has no plans
    > > to release a special edition of CoC, which is puzzling since CoC
    > > *still* is a good seller due to Myazaki's newfound mass poplarity in
    > > the west.
    > >

    > ... because it's still a good seller. Just keep the original in print,
    > don't spend more money if you don't have to. Manga was just sold, iirc,
    > and hasn't released or announced much this past year.

    hmmm true. It wouldn't take much for them to get the
    corrected/updated/extra material thats on the R2 release from TMS
    under their existing licence for the film. I have a feeling that
    Manga is sitting on CoC so Disney doesn't get it like they have with
    the Studio Ghibli films. Note that they snapped up the R2 rights for
    CoC pretty quick.

    Ocelot, Feb 27, 2005
  11. Tweek

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Ocelot
    <> wrote:

    > Invid Fan <> wrote in message

    > > Very odd, given that Streamline did a subtitled theatrical print with a
    > > more accurate translation then the dub (doesn't have the "Should have
    > > worn an Asbestus suit" line, for example).

    > The story I heard was that the subtitles are more for Japanese
    > learning english, to follow along with the dub (never mind the fact
    > that there's a lot of dialoue added in the dub where there wasn't any
    > in the original).

    The Japanese think English is cool, whether it follows the Japanese
    script or not :)

    > My question is why did they resurrect the
    > Streamline dub anyway? Streamline doesn't exist any more since Orion
    > went bust. Toho released the Streamline dub on LD in Japan so I bet
    > BV got the dub from them.

    Disney probably has no rights to do an English dub of Castle of
    Cagliostro, or at least can't justify doing one just for non-English
    speaking markets. Toho, however, probably owns Japanese rights to the
    Streamline dub so that's what was tossed on. I would have liked the
    Streamline dub on the Manga dvd as a third audio option, much as the
    new Giant Robo dvds have both a new dub and the old USRenditions/Manga
    one. It's history...

    > > > Manga has no plans
    > > > to release a special edition of CoC, which is puzzling since CoC
    > > > *still* is a good seller due to Myazaki's newfound mass poplarity in
    > > > the west.
    > > >

    > > ... because it's still a good seller. Just keep the original in print,
    > > don't spend more money if you don't have to. Manga was just sold, iirc,
    > > and hasn't released or announced much this past year.

    > hmmm true. It wouldn't take much for them to get the
    > corrected/updated/extra material thats on the R2 release from TMS
    > under their existing licence for the film.

    Depends. Manga picked up CoC durring the Streamline firesale that sent
    many of the properties off to various companies (ADV got Dirty Pair,
    Pioneer 3x3 Eyes and Akira, etc). They may only have the rights to that
    one print, and attempts to get extras would mean re-negotiating with
    TMS.

    > I have a feeling that
    > Manga is sitting on CoC so Disney doesn't get it like they have with
    > the Studio Ghibli films. Note that they snapped up the R2 rights for
    > CoC pretty quick.

    I'm sure Manga is keeping CoC because it makes them some money, but
    they've been known to just sit on things for the hell of it. They
    picked up the Orguss tv series when they bought the USRenditions
    catalog, and never did squat with it...

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Feb 28, 2005