best digital under $400?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rex B, Aug 30, 2006.

  1. Rex B

    Rex B Guest

    I need a new camera for my workplace. It's been years since I've bought
    a camera, so I'm not up to speed, yet I need this in the next few days.
    Estimated budget was $300, but I can stretch it.
    Output needs to be good enough for (occasional) publication in a glossy
    magazine.

    Min specs:
    5 megapixels
    10X optical
    macro capability

    Wide angle would be useful
    panoramic would be useful.

    Image stabilization

    Nothing small, needs to be big enough to handle easily.

    I'd welcome all suggestions.

    Thanks

    --
    - -
    Rex Burkheimer
    Rex B, Aug 30, 2006

  2. Rex B

    Guest

    Rex B ha scritto:

    > I need a new camera for my workplace. It's been years since I've bought
    > a camera, so I'm not up to speed, yet I need this in the next few days.
    > Estimated budget was $300, but I can stretch it.
    > Output needs to be good enough for (occasional) publication in a glossy
    > magazine.
    >
    > Min specs:
    > 5 megapixels
    > 10X optical
    > macro capability
    >
    > Wide angle would be useful
    > panoramic would be useful.
    >
    > Image stabilization
    >
    > Nothing small, needs to be big enough to handle easily.

    With all this item,it does not exist a camera in the world.
    , Aug 30, 2006

  3. Rex B

    m Ransley Guest

    Read reviews at dpreview, good options are Canon S3IS, Panasonic , Sony
    H2.
    m Ransley, Aug 30, 2006
  4. Rex B

    Jack Guest

    Maybe a camera phone for your brochure. Let's face it, a camera and a
    phone! Very economically viable!

    Tell me, how do 'you' define the difference between panoramic and wide
    angle? Just interested.

    Jack, Aug 30, 2006
  5. Rex B

    Rex B Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > Maybe a camera phone for your brochure. Let's face it, a camera and a
    > phone! Very economically viable!
    >
    > Tell me, how do 'you' define the difference between panoramic and wide
    > angle? Just interested.

    Wide angle is equivalent to a 24-28mm lense. For taking interior views
    of rooms, for example.
    Panoramic is like a long thin 180-degree landscape. This is more a
    novelty than a need. I sometimes like to picture a retail store in a
    small town. Panoramic view gives a better feel for what the neighborhood
    is like

    Rex B, Aug 30, 2006
  6. On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:08:07 -0500, Rex B <> wrote:

    > Jack wrote:
    >> Maybe a camera phone for your brochure. Let's face it, a camera and a
    >> phone! Very economically viable!
    >>
    >> Tell me, how do 'you' define the difference between panoramic and wide
    >> angle? Just interested.

    > Wide angle is equivalent to a 24-28mm lense. For taking interior views
    > of rooms, for example.
    > Panoramic is like a long thin 180-degree landscape. This is more a
    > novelty than a need. I sometimes like to picture a retail store in a
    > small town. Panoramic view gives a better feel for what the neighborhood
    > is like

    24-28mm is hard for a 10x-ish camera; most of them tend to bottom out
    around 35mm or thereabouts. There are one or two that go to 28mm, but
    nothing (I think) in your price bracket.

    I'd suggest living with the 35mm lower limit and investigate the
    possibilities of digital stitching (taking two or more overlapping
    frames and then gluing them together in software). You'll need that
    anyway if you want to make panaorama views.

    In the $300-400 range, there are several good cameras which would fit
    the bill; most of the major manufacturers have a model in that niche.
    The three that seem to have the most partisans here are the Canon S
    series (current: S3IS), the Panasonic FZs (FZ7; the bigger FZ30 is
    beyond your budget), and Sony (H2 and H5). There are plenty of other
    good models, but those seem to be the most-talked-about on this group.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Aug 30, 2006
  7. Rex B

    Rex B Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:08:07 -0500, Rex B <> wrote:
    >> Jack wrote:
    >>> Maybe a camera phone for your brochure. Let's face it, a camera and a
    >>> phone! Very economically viable!
    >>>
    >>> Tell me, how do 'you' define the difference between panoramic and wide
    >>> angle? Just interested.

    >> Wide angle is equivalent to a 24-28mm lense. For taking interior views
    >> of rooms, for example.
    >> Panoramic is like a long thin 180-degree landscape. This is more a
    >> novelty than a need. I sometimes like to picture a retail store in a
    >> small town. Panoramic view gives a better feel for what the neighborhood
    >> is like

    > 24-28mm is hard for a 10x-ish camera; most of them tend to bottom out
    > around 35mm or thereabouts. There are one or two that go to 28mm, but
    > nothing (I think) in your price bracket.
    >
    > I'd suggest living with the 35mm lower limit and investigate the
    > possibilities of digital stitching (taking two or more overlapping
    > frames and then gluing them together in software). You'll need that
    > anyway if you want to make panaorama views.
    >
    > In the $300-400 range, there are several good cameras which would fit
    > the bill; most of the major manufacturers have a model in that niche.
    > The three that seem to have the most partisans here are the Canon S
    > series (current: S3IS), the Panasonic FZs (FZ7; the bigger FZ30 is
    > beyond your budget), and Sony (H2 and H5). There are plenty of other
    > good models, but those seem to be the most-talked-about on this group.

    That's helpful in narrowing down what I have to look at.
    Yours and other posts give me about 10 to look at.

    Thanks much, still looking.

    Rex

    Rex B, Aug 30, 2006
  8. For your specs and budget, looks like the Olympus SP500UZ will be the
    best fit, ($ 280 at CompUSA, + $50 for a 1Gby mem card).

    Victor A. Garcia, Aug 31, 2006
  9. Rex B

    SMS Guest

    Rex B wrote:
    > I need a new camera for my workplace. It's been years since I've bought
    > a camera, so I'm not up to speed, yet I need this in the next few days.
    > Estimated budget was $300, but I can stretch it.
    > Output needs to be good enough for (occasional) publication in a glossy
    > magazine.
    >
    > Min specs:
    > 5 megapixels
    > 10X optical
    > macro capability
    >
    > Wide angle would be useful
    > panoramic would be useful.
    >
    > Image stabilization
    >
    > Nothing small, needs to be big enough to handle easily.
    >
    > I'd welcome all suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks

    I guess the Panasonic DMC-FZ7 or the Canon S3is are about your best
    choices. I guess I'd go with the S3is as it's lower noise than the
    Panasonic. If Panasonic could solve their noise issues they'd have an
    awesome product line, based on their features.
    SMS, Aug 31, 2006
  10. wrote:
    > Rex B ha scritto:
    >
    >> I need a new camera for my workplace. It's been years since I've
    >> bought a camera, so I'm not up to speed, yet I need this in the next
    >> few days. Estimated budget was $300, but I can stretch it.
    >> Output needs to be good enough for (occasional) publication in a
    >> glossy magazine.
    >>
    >> Min specs:
    >> 5 megapixels
    >> 10X optical
    >> macro capability
    >>
    >> Wide angle would be useful
    >> panoramic would be useful.
    >>
    >> Image stabilization
    >>
    >> Nothing small, needs to be big enough to handle easily.

    > With all this item,it does not exist a camera in the world.

    Panasonic FZ5. Wide-angle and panos are easily achieved with image
    stitching software. Not current, so should be quite low-cost.

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 31, 2006
  11. Rex B

    SJ Guest

    I thought the consensus of the group was that the Panasonic had less noise
    than the Canon, with those same models? I could be wrong.

    SJ, Aug 31, 2006
  12. Rex B

    m Ransley Guest

    Panasonic are well known to have the most noise but do very well at iso
    100 where as the competion gives you 1-200 more iso.
    m Ransley, Aug 31, 2006
  13. Rex B

    bluezfolk Guest

    Rex B wrote:
    > Jack wrote:
    > > Maybe a camera phone for your brochure. Let's face it, a camera and a
    > > phone! Very economically viable!
    > >
    > > Tell me, how do 'you' define the difference between panoramic and wide
    > > angle? Just interested.

    > Wide angle is equivalent to a 24-28mm lense. For taking interior views
    > of rooms, for example.
    > Panoramic is like a long thin 180-degree landscape. This is more a
    > novelty than a need. I sometimes like to picture a retail store in a
    > small town. Panoramic view gives a better feel for what the neighborhood
    > is like
    >

    > > "Rex B" <> wrote in message
    > >> I need a new camera for my workplace. It's been years since I've bought a
    > >> camera, so I'm not up to speed, yet I need this in the next few days.
    > >> Estimated budget was $300, but I can stretch it.
    > >> Output needs to be good enough for (occasional) publication in a glossy
    > >> magazine.
    > >>
    > >> Min specs:
    > >> 5 megapixels
    > >> 10X optical
    > >> macro capability
    > >>
    > >> Wide angle would be useful
    > >> panoramic would be useful.
    > >>
    > >> Image stabilization
    > >>
    > >> Nothing small, needs to be big enough to handle easily.
    > >>
    > >> I'd welcome all suggestions.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> - -
    > >> Rex Burkheimer
    > >> WM Automotive
    > >> Fort Worth TX

    This may sound a bit silly, but for panaromic why not just take a
    photo from a distance and cut of the top and bottom? I had a pentax
    35mm that did exactly that for its panaromic shots.

    Eric
    bluezfolk, Aug 31, 2006
  14. Rex B

    Rex B Guest

    bluezfolk wrote:
    > Rex B wrote:
    >> Jack wrote:
    >>> Maybe a camera phone for your brochure. Let's face it, a camera and a
    >>> phone! Very economically viable!
    >>>
    >>> Tell me, how do 'you' define the difference between panoramic and wide
    >>> angle? Just interested.

    >> Wide angle is equivalent to a 24-28mm lense. For taking interior views
    >> of rooms, for example.
    >> Panoramic is like a long thin 180-degree landscape. This is more a
    >> novelty than a need. I sometimes like to picture a retail store in a
    >> small town. Panoramic view gives a better feel for what the neighborhood
    >> is like
    >>
    >>> "Rex B" <> wrote in message

    > This may sound a bit silly, but for panaromic why not just take a
    > photo from a distance and cut of the top and bottom? I had a pentax
    > 35mm that did exactly that for its panaromic shots.

    Well sure, but sometimes you can't back off far enough to do that.
    Rex B, Aug 31, 2006
  15. Rex B

    Rex B Guest

    I took your suggestions, charted out the features/price by model.
    Looks like the best one for my purposes is the Canon S3IS.
    Thanks much for all the input.

    - -
    Rex Burkheimer
    Fort Worth TX