    Par le p'tit trou? Madame la Mort.
    "Browning"
    Edith Piaf

    John A. Stovall, Mar 8, 2005

  2. John A. Stovall

    HP Guest

    "John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been looking lately at the various digital photography magazines.
    > Most of them (particular the ones published in the U.S.) are basically
    > shills for the camera companies.
    >
    > The only one which I found that appeared to seriously address
    > technique and issues was the British publication, "Digital
    > Photographer" .
    >
    > What other magazines out there are people reading and finding useful?

    > Browning, Browning...
    > On appuie là, et qu'est-ce qui sort
    > Par le p'tit trou? Madame la Mort.
    > "Browning"
    > Edith Piaf

    Playboy...... excellent images and I think they use a digital camera too.

    HP, Mar 8, 2005

  3. John A. Stovall

    Destin_FL Guest

    BwaaaHaaaa, hilarious - LMAO!!

    Destin_FL, Mar 8, 2005
  4. John A. Stovall

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:56:01 -0600, John A. Stovall <>
    wrote:

    > I've been looking lately at the various digital photography magazines.
    > Most of them (particular the ones published in the U.S.) are basically
    > shills for the camera companies.
    >
    > The only one which I found that appeared to seriously address
    > technique and issues was the British publication, "Digital
    > Photographer" .
    >
    > What other magazines out there are people reading and finding useful?

    Forget magazines altogether.

    I find newsgroups such as this one offer the best information. You sometimes
    have to dig through a bit of shit to find the good stuff, but it is worth it in
    the long run.

    Ken Oaf, Mar 9, 2005
  5. On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:39:42 +1100, Ken Oaf <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:56:01 -0600, John A. Stovall <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I've been looking lately at the various digital photography magazines.
    >> Most of them (particular the ones published in the U.S.) are basically
    >> shills for the camera companies.
    >>
    >> The only one which I found that appeared to seriously address
    >> technique and issues was the British publication, "Digital
    >> Photographer" .
    >>
    >> What other magazines out there are people reading and finding useful?

    >Forget magazines altogether.
    >
    >I find newsgroups such as this one offer the best information. You sometimes
    >have to dig through a bit of shit to find the good stuff, but it is worth it in
    >the long run.

    A newsgroup lacks visual images and examples of techniques to create a
    specific image which I found critical to understanding a visual art
    such as photography. After all this is an ASCII medium.

    "Times change and men often change with them, but
    principles never!"

    Alexander H. Stephens
    "A Constitutional View of the Late War Between
    the States, Its Causes, Character, Conduct and
    Results". 1868

    John A. Stovall, Mar 9, 2005
  6. John A. Stovall

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:46:48 GMT, John A. Stovall <>
    wrote:

    > >I find newsgroups such as this one offer the best information. You sometimes
    > >have to dig through a bit of shit to find the good stuff, but it is worth it in
    > >the long run.

    > A newsgroup lacks visual images and examples of techniques to create a
    > specific image which I found critical to understanding a visual art
    > such as photography. After all this is an ASCII medium.

    But people often add links to their posts so you can view images.

    Ken Oaf, Mar 9, 2005
  7. John A. Stovall

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    John A. Stovall <> wrote:

    > I've been looking lately at the various digital photography magazines.
    > Most of them (particular the ones published in the U.S.) are basically
    > shills for the camera companies.
    >
    > The only one which I found that appeared to seriously address
    > technique and issues was the British publication, "Digital
    > Photographer" .
    >
    > What other magazines out there are people reading and finding useful?

    You could take a look at an English publication Digital Photo
    <http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/store/searchresults.asp?search=Digital P
    hoto&sid=61&custid=09%4003%40200538257%40345809290&searchbut.x=21&searchb
    ut.y=7> Sorry for such a long URL. They give away a free CD with pdf and
    AVI movie tutorials every month. Also Adobe's Focus magazine if really
    useful if you're using Photoshop.

    Stewy, Mar 9, 2005
  8. On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:38:39 +0900, Stewy <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > John A. Stovall <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been looking lately at the various digital photography magazines.
    >> Most of them (particular the ones published in the U.S.) are basically
    >> shills for the camera companies.
    >>
    >> The only one which I found that appeared to seriously address
    >> technique and issues was the British publication, "Digital
    >> Photographer" .
    >>
    >> What other magazines out there are people reading and finding useful?
    >>

    >You could take a look at an English publication Digital Photo
    ><http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/store/searchresults.asp?search=Digital P
    >hoto&sid=61&custid=09%4003%40200538257%40345809290&searchbut.x=21&searchb
    >ut.y=7> Sorry for such a long URL. They give away a free CD with pdf and
    >AVI movie tutorials every month. Also Adobe's Focus magazine if really
    >useful if you're using Photoshop.

    That's the one which I liked...

    "Les livres font les époques et les nations,
    commes les époques et les nations font les livres."

    _Mélanges littéraires_
    Jean-Jacques Ampère
    (1800-1864)

    John A. Stovall, Mar 9, 2005
  9. On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:07:32 +1100, Ken Oaf <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:46:48 GMT, John A. Stovall <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> >I find newsgroups such as this one offer the best information. You sometimes
    >> >have to dig through a bit of shit to find the good stuff, but it is worth it in
    >> >the long run.

    >> A newsgroup lacks visual images and examples of techniques to create a
    >> specific image which I found critical to understanding a visual art
    >> such as photography. After all this is an ASCII medium.

    >But people often add links to their posts so you can view images.

    But they don't go in detail about how they arrived at the image and I
    must say the great majority of images posted here are rather bad or at
    best boring.

    John A. Stovall, Mar 9, 2005
  10. John A. Stovall

    Carol Elder Guest

    Hi:

    I like outdoor photography - they give simple to understand articles
    about how they came to take the picture. they include things like how
    long they waited to get the right lighting, how far they walked and the
    settings on the camera. Of course of you like to take portraits - this
    is not the one.

    my 2 cents
    carol

    Carol Elder, Mar 11, 2005
  11. John A. Stovall <> wrote:

    > A newsgroup lacks visual images and examples of techniques to create a
    > specific image which I found critical to understanding a visual art
    > such as photography. After all this is an ASCII medium.

    That is what URLs are for ... and a location to host your images.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Spammers please contact me at .

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Mar 11, 2005