    to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.

    Thanks,

    Ray
    Ray Muensch, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Ray Muensch

    Bob Williams Guest

    Ray Muensch wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for wildlife/nature
    > shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
    > to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    Take a look at the Canon S1-IS
    It is a 3.1 MP, 10X Optical zoom WITH Image Stabilization (IS).
    IMHO, (IS) is a necessity for hand held shots at 10X
    For about $100 more you can get a Panasonic FZ20.
    It is a 5 MP, 12X Optical Zoom WITH Image Stabilization
    For wildlife, I think a high power optical Zoom with (IS) is the most
    important feature you should have, simply because it is usually very
    difficult to get close enough to wild creatures to capture any detail
    without substantial Tele capability.
    Check out the specs on these cameras at:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20.html
    Bob Williams

    Bob
    Bob Williams, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Ray Muensch

    Jim Handy Guest

    For a bit more you could get the Konica Minolta Z2 Dimage. 4 Mega pixel,
    10X Optical. Took several pictures of ravens flying over the Grand Canyon
    at Toroweap and got great pictures.

    Jim Handy, Dec 6, 2004
  4. Ray Muensch

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    The Canon S1 IS is one (there are others). Has a 10x optical image
    stabilized zoom -- and zoom is needed for that; equiv fl is 38-380mm.
    Also can focus very close for macro shots. Has a TTL EVF viewfinder for
    accurate compostion. Has been $399 recently but I saw an ad at $349 on
    the weekend.

    I have one and like it (and also have a 300D and 20D)

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Dec 6, 2004
  5. Ray Muensch

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "Ray Muensch"

    >Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for wildlife/nature
    >shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
    >to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.

    So you need a long zoom lens, in addition to macro capability, and you want all
    this for under $400.
    I want to win the Powerball Lottery.
    Let's see who gets lucky first.
    Annika1980, Dec 6, 2004
  6. Annika1980 wrote:
    >> From: "Ray Muensch"

    >> Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for
    >> wildlife/nature shots, in addition to everyday regular family &
    >> vacation pics? I'd like it to be able to take nice macro shots, as
    >> well as have a decent zoom range.

    > So you need a long zoom lens, in addition to macro capability, and
    > you want all this for under $400.
    > I want to win the Powerball Lottery.
    > Let's see who gets lucky first.

    Canon S1 IS fit the bill?
    David J Taylor, Dec 6, 2004
  7. David J Taylor wrote:
    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >
    >>>From: "Ray Muensch"

    >>>Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for
    >>>wildlife/nature shots, in addition to everyday regular family &
    >>>vacation pics? I'd like it to be able to take nice macro shots, as
    >>>well as have a decent zoom range.

    >>So you need a long zoom lens, in addition to macro capability, and
    >>you want all this for under $400.
    >>I want to win the Powerball Lottery.
    >>Let's see who gets lucky first.

    > Canon S1 IS fit the bill?

    LOL! I would say so

    Other features to look for are quiet/silent running mode (no click whirrs)

    If you are imaging wildlife bigger than you find an escape route as a
    priority :)

    Aerticeus

    Like DJT says - s good zoom helps. If the zoom is built in it a bit
    lighter to carry (compare 35mm, DSLR and ZLR equivalents - the ZLRs are
    really quaite naice)

    erm - lens hood? maybe a long range extension?

    Aerticulean Effort, Dec 6, 2004
  8. On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 01:13:12 -0600, "Ray Muensch"
    <> wrote:

    >Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for wildlife/nature
    >shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
    >to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.

    Ray,

    I think the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3 is the one. Its 12x
    image-stabilized zoom with 1 : 2.8 aperture throughout the zoom
    range beats the Canon Powershot S1 IS nicely. But the latter is
    also a good, feature-rich camera. It depends on how much weight
    you want to put on the more difficult wildlife photos.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Dec 7, 2004
  9. Ray Muensch

    Fred B. Guest

    The Canon S1 IS. I have two pages of pics (nature) from it on my website at
    www.freds-place.net . It is a very impressive little camera.

    Fred B., Dec 11, 2004
  10. Fred B. wrote:
    > The Canon S1 IS. I have two pages of pics (nature) from it on my website at
    > www.freds-place.net . It is a very impressive little camera.
    >
    > "Ray Muensch" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for

    > wildlife/nature
    >
    >>shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
    >>to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Ray

    Shhh!

    Let's keep this little secret to ourselves

    This is far too valuable to share with the big wide world

    Aerticeus
    Aerticulean Effort, Dec 11, 2004
  11. Ray Muensch

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:

    >I think the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3 is the one. Its 12x
    >image-stabilized zoom with 1 : 2.8 aperture throughout the zoom
    >range beats the Canon Powershot S1 IS nicely. But the latter is
    >also a good, feature-rich camera. It depends on how much weight
    >you want to put on the more difficult wildlife photos.

    Is the lens really sharp enough for the 3 MP, though? It has the same
    effective focal length range as the FZ2, so it may be the same lens that
    was used for 2 MP.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Dec 23, 2004
  12. wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:
    >
    >> I think the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3 is the one. Its 12x
    >> image-stabilized zoom with 1 : 2.8 aperture throughout the zoom
    >> range beats the Canon Powershot S1 IS nicely. But the latter is
    >> also a good, feature-rich camera. It depends on how much weight
    >> you want to put on the more difficult wildlife photos.

    > Is the lens really sharp enough for the 3 MP, though? It has the same
    > effective focal length range as the FZ2, so it may be the same lens
    > that was used for 2 MP.

    The "same" lens is also used on the 5MP FZ20. DPreview lists the FZ20
    lens as:

    .. 36 - 432 mm equiv. (12x zoom)
    .. F2.8 (throughout zoom range)
    .. MEGA OIS (Mode 1 / Mode 2)
    .. LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT
    .. 13 Elements in 8 Groups
    .. 3 Aspherical Lenses/3 Aspherical Surfaces, 1 ED Lens

    but doesn't give the details for the FZ3. For the FZ2 it gives:

    .. Leica 12x optical zoom with optical image stabilization
    .. 35 - 420 mm equiv.
    .. F2.8 (constant throughout zoom range!)
    .. 13 elements in 8 groups

    The FZ2 has a 1/3.2" sensor, and the FZ20 a 1/2.5" sensor, so I would
    imagine that the lens design is at least scaled between the cameras. The
    FZ3, though, also has a 1/3.2" sensor, so perhaps the lens is the same as
    the FZ2?

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 24, 2004
  13. On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:59:37 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >The FZ2 has a 1/3.2" sensor, and the FZ20 a 1/2.5" sensor, so I would
    >imagine that the lens design is at least scaled between the cameras. The
    >FZ3, though, also has a 1/3.2" sensor, so perhaps the lens is the same as
    >the FZ2?

    David,

    I'm pretty sure your assumptions are correct.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Dec 27, 2004
  14. Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:59:37 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>The FZ2 has a 1/3.2" sensor, and the FZ20 a 1/2.5" sensor, so I would
    >>imagine that the lens design is at least scaled between the cameras. The
    >>FZ3, though, also has a 1/3.2" sensor, so perhaps the lens is the same as
    >>the FZ2?

    > David,
    >
    > I'm pretty sure your assumptions are correct.

    Where did these odd fractions originate? How come they don't state them
    in mm's?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 27, 2004
  15. David J Taylor, Dec 27, 2004
  16. Ray Muensch

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    > Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:
    >> I think the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3 is the one. Its 12x
    >> image-stabilized zoom with 1 : 2.8 aperture throughout the zoom
    >> range beats the Canon Powershot S1 IS nicely. But the latter is
    >> also a good, feature-rich camera. It depends on how much weight
    >> you want to put on the more difficult wildlife photos.

    The Lumix FZ20 would be better for wildlife because of its 36-432/2.8
    (f/2.8 constant all the way out) lens. As a non-wildlife camera
    the K-M A2 is usually considered better, but has 28-200/2.8-3.5 only.
    I'm surprised by all the recommendations for the Canon Pro1.

    wrote:
    > Is the lens really sharp enough for the 3 MP, though? It has the same
    > effective focal length range as the FZ2, so it may be the same lens that
    > was used for 2 MP.

    Looking at full-resolution samples, the Lumix is the only non-DSLR
    that approaches DSLR quality in terms of sharpness, though at high ISO
    it is worse in noise. Most consumer digicams (non-DSLR) use Sony CCD,
    and either the avoidance of that CCD, or the Leica lens, accounts for
    the Panasonic's quality.

    Maybe your conclusion would be different...
    Bill Tuthill, Dec 27, 2004