    for collecting evidence of my theory that aliens are planing to invade
    the earth and use us as their slaves and their food.

    What camera can you recommend ?
    Karl Reitlos, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Karl Reitlos

    Jeffrey Guest

    If you are legit, a film based camera, no one will believe a digital
    photograph. (A camera with a raw format, may give you photo's some more
    verifiable legitamacy)

    If you are not legit, it is more a question of the post processing software

    Jeffrey, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Karl Reitlos

    JJD Guest

    On 31 Jan 2004 20:50:09 -0800, (Karl Reitlos)
    wrote:

    >I´m a well-known UFO- and alien-hunter and I need the best equipment
    >for collecting evidence of my theory that aliens are planing to invade
    >the earth and use us as their slaves and their food.
    >
    >What camera can you recommend ?

    Any camera will work fine, so long as you make it a little, pointy,
    aluminium hat.

    JJD
    JJD, Feb 1, 2004
  4. (Karl Reitlos) writes:

    > What camera can you recommend ?

    Karl, hon, since I threw away my Mac at your suggestion, I can't reply to
    your message and tell you which camera I recommend.
    Phil Stripling, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Karl Reitlos

    Guest Guest

    > I´m a well-known UFO- and alien-hunter and I need the best equipment
    > for collecting evidence of my theory that aliens are planing to invade
    > the earth and use us as their slaves and their food.
    >
    > What camera can you recommend ?

    what use is the camera? some kind of bait for alien historians?

    Guest, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Karl Reitlos

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    This is the one case where the Sigma would be a good choice.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Karl Reitlos

    Jeffrey Guest

    with smegma on the lens from the handler

    Jeffrey, Feb 1, 2004
  8. A camera which is easy to hold up to your backside, so you can get a good
    view from where your head is.

    Blair Maynard, Feb 1, 2004
  9. Karl Reitlos

    me_here Guest

    u need good image editing software dooooood :D

    me_here, Feb 1, 2004
  10. Karl Reitlos

    Neil Gould Guest

    Recently, Jeffrey <> posted:

    > (A camera with a raw format, may give you photo's some
    > more verifiable legitamacy)

    Why would you think so? I can save images out to raw format in several
    image editors.

    Neil
    Neil Gould, Feb 1, 2004
  11. Karl Reitlos

    Jeffrey Guest

    "Neil Gould" <> wrote in message
    > Recently, Jeffrey <> posted:
    >
    > > (A camera with a raw format, may give you photo's some
    > > more verifiable legitamacy)
    > >

    > Why would you think so? I can save images out to raw format in several
    > image editors.
    >
    > Neil

    I was not sure that you could do that, and if you could, I was wondering
    whether you could tell a doctored photo, by the reason that editor may only
    be able save 8 bits per channel

    If I understand it correctly, the 300D raw format has 12 bits per channel
    and if you could save from Adobe PS 4 bits would be blank (at least where
    the image has been doctored).

    Whilst Adobe PS 7 can work with 16 bit (per channel) Tiffs you can only do
    limited editing in that format, and then you would have to convert to 8 bits
    per channel to do the trick stuff (like cutting out). Even if you could
    paste into a 16bit (per channel) Tiff Image, that image that is pasted into
    that image, would most probably have 8 bits of data per channel, which could
    be presumably detected upon analysis.

    I know that it always possible for someone to produce the programme to cover
    all these things, but that person would have to be

    1. a very proficient computer programmer in photo editing software; and
    2. nuts, defective or a fraud

    While I know both these things are not mutually exclusive (in fact probably
    the reverse), the faker's proficiency as a computer programmer would in
    itself give lie to the fraud.

    Jeffrey
    Jeffrey, Feb 1, 2004
  12. Karl Reitlos

    Mark B. Guest

    > I´m a well-known UFO- and alien-hunter and I need the best equipment
    > for collecting evidence of my theory that aliens are planing to invade
    > the earth and use us as their slaves and their food.
    >
    > What camera can you recommend ?

    A Canon 1Ds or the new 1D Mark II and this software:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012903canondvke2.asp

    Mark
    Mark B., Feb 1, 2004
  13. Karl Reitlos

    jriegle Guest

    Okay, I'll bite.

    Get a digital SLR from Canon or Nikon. Get a good quality telescope and
    camera adapter. This combination will allow Ma the get the oven heated up in
    time for the landing. Early detection, ya know. Alien meat is a delicacy.
    Just be sure to drain all the acid blood first!
    John

    jriegle, Feb 1, 2004
  14. Karl Reitlos

    Jeff Shoaf Guest

    "Jeffrey" <> wrote in

    > If you are legit, a film based camera, no one will believe a digital
    > photograph. (A camera with a raw format, may give you photo's some
    > more verifiable legitamacy)
    >
    > If you are not legit, it is more a question of the post processing
    > software

    Canon has just announced a software pack that is supposed to verify that a
    digital image from a particular camera has not been modified.
    Jeff Shoaf, Feb 1, 2004
  15. Karl Reitlos

    Neil Gould Guest

    Hi,

    Recently, Jeffrey <> posted:
    > "Neil Gould" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> (A camera with a raw format, may give you photo's some
    >>> more verifiable legitamacy)
    >>>

    >> Why would you think so? I can save images out to raw format in
    >> several image editors.
    >>

    > I was not sure that you could do that, and if you could, I was
    > wondering whether you could tell a doctored photo, by the reason that
    > editor may only be able save 8 bits per channel
    >
    > If I understand it correctly, the 300D raw format has 12 bits per
    > channel and if you could save from Adobe PS 4 bits would be blank (at
    > least where the image has been doctored).

    It's true that PS is limited in that way, but it's not the only image
    editor available! ;-)

    Take a look at software for the SGI, for example.

    Neil
    Neil Gould, Feb 1, 2004
  16. Karl Reitlos

    Neil Gould Guest

    Recently, Jeff Shoaf <> posted:

    > "Jeffrey" <> wrote in
    >
    >> If you are legit, a film based camera, no one will believe a digital
    >> photograph. (A camera with a raw format, may give you photo's some
    >> more verifiable legitamacy)
    >>
    >> If you are not legit, it is more a question of the post processing
    >> software
    >>

    > Canon has just announced a software pack that is supposed to verify
    > that a digital image from a particular camera has not been modified.

    I'd love to see how they'd do that. AFAIK, there are no protections
    against the modifications of digital files. If the data values are the
    same, one byte is pretty much indistinguishable from the next.

    Neil
    Neil Gould, Feb 1, 2004
  17. Karl Reitlos

    Jeff Shoaf Guest

    "Neil Gould" <> wrote in news:BN9Tb.5521$jH6.4789
    @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > Recently, Jeff Shoaf <> posted:
    >
    >> "Jeffrey" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> If you are legit, a film based camera, no one will believe a digital
    >>> photograph. (A camera with a raw format, may give you photo's some
    >>> more verifiable legitamacy)
    >>>
    >>> If you are not legit, it is more a question of the post processing
    >>> software
    >>>

    >> Canon has just announced a software pack that is supposed to verify
    >> that a digital image from a particular camera has not been modified.
    >>

    > I'd love to see how they'd do that. AFAIK, there are no protections
    > against the modifications of digital files. If the data values are the
    > same, one byte is pretty much indistinguishable from the next.
    >
    > Neil

    Here's some details:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012903canondvke2.asp

    It only works with Canon's 1Ds and 1D-MkII camera and requires a
    particular option on the camera to be turned on. Evidently, when the
    option is turned on, the camera calculates a signature of some type
    (similar to a checksum, perhaps?) and attaches it to the image file. The
    software confirms that the signature still agrees with the image data.

    At 1st glance, it looks like it would be crackable, but the kit comes
    with an "secure media" (SM) card and a special USB SM card reader, as
    well as a CD. I'd assume that the actual algorithm to compute the
    signature is stored on the SM card.
    Jeff Shoaf, Feb 1, 2004
  18. Karl Reitlos

    Hugo Drax Guest

    Mark II with DVK-E2 Data verification for UFO photos

    I recommend the a set of 2 of the following 1D Mark II with the DVK-E2 Data
    Verification Kit

    and the following lenses a 200mm 1.8L for long haul shots on one body

    and a 24-70mm on the other body

    and a 400mm 4L DO lens kit for extra reach
    600mm F8 Sigma Mirror lens for daylight captures of far objects.
    Hugo Drax, Feb 1, 2004
  19. Karl Reitlos

    Neil Gould Guest

    Hi,

    Recently, Jeff Shoaf <> posted:

    > "Neil Gould" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Canon has just announced a software pack that is supposed to verify
    >>> that a digital image from a particular camera has not been modified.
    >>>

    >> I'd love to see how they'd do that. AFAIK, there are no protections
    >> against the modifications of digital files. If the data values are
    >> the same, one byte is pretty much indistinguishable from the next.

    > Here's some details:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012903canondvke2.asp
    >
    > It only works with Canon's 1Ds and 1D-MkII camera and requires a
    > particular option on the camera to be turned on. Evidently, when the
    > option is turned on, the camera calculates a signature of some type
    > (similar to a checksum, perhaps?) and attaches it to the image file.
    > The software confirms that the signature still agrees with the image
    > data.
    >
    > At 1st glance, it looks like it would be crackable, but the kit comes
    > with an "secure media" (SM) card and a special USB SM card reader, as
    > well as a CD. I'd assume that the actual algorithm to compute the
    > signature is stored on the SM card.

    While that's all well and good, I'm sure it wouldn't take much effort to
    crack the code and forge the results. While the same kind of forgery can
    be done with film, using a film recorder to "re-expose" doctored images,
    it would be a lot easier if everything was digital to begin with. I
    wouldn't trust any such scheme to be foolproof.

    Neil
    Neil Gould, Feb 1, 2004
  20. Karl Reitlos

    Mike Fields Guest

    Reminds me -- sign seen yesterday along the road in our
    area "Buckle up -- it makes it harder for the aliens to
    snatch you from your car"

    --
    Mike "mikey" Fields
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields/

    Linux users brag on how long their system stays up,
    Window users assume it's a temporary condition ...

    Mike Fields, Feb 1, 2004