    bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.

    Any advice? Thanks

    -Josh

    Josh, Jul 19, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "Josh" <> wrote:

    > My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
    > taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
    > camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
    > should not).

    > Any advice? Thanks
    >
    > -Josh

    I'd be scouring garage sales. That's where my Kodak DC4800 is going to
    be in two months. Personally, having just sent a 3-1/2 year-old out
    the door, I wouldn't do it. Likelihood of it being dropped by Kid is
    very high and that'll be hell on the optics. JMNSHO.
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

    Melba's Jammin', Jul 19, 2005

  3. Josh

    mike Guest

    Josh wrote:
    > My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
    > taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
    > camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
    > should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
    > use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
    > possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
    > camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
    > looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
    > bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
    >
    > Any advice? Thanks
    >
    > -Josh

    You can get usb to serial adapters that often work with cameras.

    Photography is more about composition than pixels.
    I'd worry about finding something that she can hold easily.
    Go visit a camera store and let her hold a bunch of 'em.
    Small hands can be a problem for some.
    Don't underestimate the value of a diopter adjustment on the
    viewfinder if she has less than perfect vision.
    And, of course, the obvious...if the lens sticks out, it'll get
    busted off.
    Then there's the whole attention span issue.
    Photography is a lot more interesting when you can see what you just
    did. That begs for a LCD on the camera. Next best would be a system
    where she could get the pictures out without help. Last week's pix
    aren't very interesting.
    (I've got exposed film in the fridge that's 30 years old.) If she has
    to ask for help to get at the pix, interest won't last.
    A setup that discourages printing pictures will save you a LOT of ink money.
    And if you decide to go the older/cheap route, stay away from cameras
    that run on 9V batteries.

    I have an IClick pro5X. Runs on AA batteries, Internal memory plus
    SD slot, USB, very lightweight, flash, small easy to hold, focus free.
    Takes the best 640x480 pictures that I've ever seen from a 25-cent
    garage sale camera. Disadvantage is that it has no lens cover, but it's
    well recessed.

    Aptek makes some pencam cameras that take OK pictures (by ok, I mean
    something a kid can play with). Problem is that they are ram-based and
    the batteries run down in a few days losing all the pix.
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    mike, Jul 19, 2005
  4. Josh

    Jerome Bigge Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:58:57 -0700, mike <> wrote:

    >Josh wrote:
    >> My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
    >> taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
    >> camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
    >> should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
    >> use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
    >> possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
    >> camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
    >> looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
    >> bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
    >>
    >> Any advice? Thanks
    >>
    >> -Josh

    Kodak fixed focus CX7300. $84.95 refurb on
    Kodak web site. They may still have free shipping.
    I bought one. Not a bad camera for the money. How
    well it will stand being dropped is another question.
    You'll need a Secure Digital card or use a USB
    connection to use the camera's internal memory.
    I'd suggest the former along with a card reader.
    This is really about as cheap as you can go and
    have anything that will take a half way decent pic.
    Stock up on rechargable batteries as these cheap
    Kodaks "eat" batteries pretty fast, especially if the
    LCD is being used. On the other hand where else
    can you buy a half way decent 3 megapixel camera
    for less than a hundred bucks?

    Jerome Bigge
    Photographer and Astronomer
    Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
    Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"

    Jerome Bigge, Jul 20, 2005
  5. Josh

    Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >I'd be scouring garage sales.

    Or eBay; always LOTS of barely-used digicams there at very
    attractive prices being sold by people who just had to move up to the
    latest. Other possibility is that OfficeMax sells a variety of
    very-inexpensive, low-capability digicams in the $20 range that might
    be ideal for a three-year-old.

    No $4 to park! No $6 admission!
    http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    , Jul 20, 2005