    bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.

    Any advice? Thanks

    -Josh
    Josh, Jul 19, 2005

  2. Josh

    David Chien Guest

    Ritz has a listing of Children's cameras:
    http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wc...d=10001&langId=-1&categoryId=114177&bct=t1003

    Anyways, go for the cheap ones (eg. $99 Kodak digital etc on sale, if
    not above), and look for the ones w/o zoom (which will snap off) and
    have a more rugged design.

    These will be good for the kids to learn on until they stop breaking
    them - that's when you can move them up to the more expensive stuff.
    David Chien, Jul 19, 2005

  3. Josh

    Old Bugger Guest

    On 19 Jul 2005 13:16:35 -0700, "Josh" <> wrote:

    >My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
    >taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
    >camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
    >should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
    >use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
    >possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
    >camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
    >looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
    >bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
    >
    >Any advice? Thanks

    You could pick up a second hand digital camera, say, around 1.3 mega pixels, for around $30 these days.
    Old Bugger, Jul 19, 2005
  4. Josh

    ASAAR Guest

    On 19 Jul 2005 13:16:35 -0700, Josh wrote:

    > I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
    > bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.

    > Any advice? Thanks

    Fuji's little A series cameras fit nicely in small hands, take
    nice pictures and are very easy to use. You can't accidentally get
    stuck in a manual mode since it has none. Well, it does have one,
    but there are none of the usual aperture or shutter speed controls,
    but it does allow for a degree of exposure compensation. The
    current models are the A345 and A350, but the slightly older A330
    (and sometimes the A310) are sometimes found. All should be
    available for at most $200, and some for $150 or less. They also
    use easily obtained AA batteries, so if something is done that might
    damage a battery, replacements cost only pennies. Up to $4.00 if
    NiMH batteries are used, not up to $40 or $50 dollars that a
    proprietary battery would cost. And if your daughter takes the
    camera with her on a trip, there's no need to bring along a charger,
    as 2 extra AA alkaline batteries can be bought anywhere for very
    little cost, if needed.

    BTW, I just checked a review magazine, the UK's "Digital Camera
    Buyer" and in the brief reviews of the Fuji A330 and A340 it says:

    [A330]
    > Comment: The Fujifilm A330 is a solid performer and incorporates
    > all the essentials that beginners will find useful.

    [A340]
    ASAAR, Jul 19, 2005
  5. Josh

    Markeau Guest

  6. Josh

    clint Guest

    How about a few crayons for the rug rat?

    clint, Jul 20, 2005
  7. Josh

    ecm Guest

    Josh wrote:
    > My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
    > taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
    > camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
    > should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
    > use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
    > possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
    > camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
    > looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
    > bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
    >
    > Any advice? Thanks
    >
    > -Josh

    I started my kids (5 and 8 years old now) with a few disposable cameras
    - $4 for each camera and $4 for developing. One kid enjoyed it, and now
    has a cheap Kodak CX7300 3 Mpixel fixed focus which she loves and uses
    regularly. The other didn't maintain an interest and now is on to other
    things - and I'm only out $20 to find this out.

    At 3 years old, I'd kind of wonder whether the interest is less in
    photography and more in doing what her parents are doing.... but hey,
    it's your nickle....

    ECM
    ecm, Jul 20, 2005
  8. Josh

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:57:05 -0400, clint wrote:

    > How about a few crayons for the rug rat?

    Only if you can still find a set with Burnt Umber.
    ASAAR, Jul 20, 2005
  9. Josh

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Josh wrote:
    > My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
    > taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
    > camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
    > should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
    > use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
    > possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
    > camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
    > looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
    > bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
    >
    > Any advice? Thanks
    >
    > -Josh

    You should be able to find a simple 2or 3mp camera that can use AA
    batteries, and take pretty good pictures for about $50. Suggest Kodak
    for the beginner.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jul 20, 2005
  10. Josh

    vixen2yall Guest

    Josh wrote:
    > My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
    > taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
    > camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
    > should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
    > use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
    > possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
    > camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
    > looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
    > bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
    >
    > Any advice? Thanks
    >
    > -Josh

    i picked up a digital cam from walmart last christmas for 20 odd bucks.
    (actually i picked up two, one for each kiddo) both cameras didn't last
    long but i did find out if they were even interested in photography.

    cheers
    kat
    vixen2yall, Jul 20, 2005
  11. Josh

    Mike Harvey Guest

    "Josh" <> wrote in news:1121804195.869326.295670
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
    > taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
    > camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
    > should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
    > use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
    > possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
    > camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
    > looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
    > bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
    >
    > Any advice? Thanks
    >
    > -Josh

    I have an older Kodak DX3500 that I have turned my 3yr old nephew loose
    with several times. He has a blast and actually gets a few good photos.
    The key here is it is a very siple point and shoot. No zoom, fixed focus
    2.2 megapexel camera.
    Mike Harvey, Jul 20, 2005
  12. Josh

    Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > I have an older Kodak DX3500 that I have turned my 3yr old nephew loose
    >with several times. He has a blast and actually gets a few good photos.
    >The key here is it is a very siple point and shoot. No zoom, fixed focus
    >2.2 megapexel camera.

    My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic that came as a promotion
    Kodak and Scott paper towels offered around 1972. You got it for about
    $1 shipping, plus several proof-of-purchase things from paper towel
    rolls. It was a very bare-bones Instamatic - but very sturdy and great
    to learn on and see if you even were interested in photography beyond
    the take-pictures-of-family level.

    Browse this gun show for FREE! Shop the
    http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW
    , Jul 21, 2005
  13. Josh

    Ronald Baird Guest

    I bet it was a Kodak Pocket Instamatic 20 ???

    Ronald Baird, Jul 22, 2005