Best digital camera- EASE, FACES, EVENTS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rebecca Webb, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Rebecca Webb

    Rebecca Webb Guest

    Greetings. Google search indicated most "best digital camera" threads
    have price as a parameter. May I inquire using others? Feel free to
    point me to a previous thread.

    1. For university webpage work. Sometimes, the print media folks will
    want to use one of the photos.
    2. Need low tech or point+shoot technology. I regret not having the time
    to learn more photo skills, but in three years of owning an Olympus C-2100
    (a privilege of which I was completely unworthy), I've never had the time
    to do so and, with PHP to learn and my knowledge of Photoshop still less
    than it should be, it's time to stop pretending I ever will.
    3. Shoot primarily indoor and outdoor portraits (athletes, graduating
    seniors) and indoor and outdoor events (Commencement, Homecoming parades
    and parties and football games). I've really struggled with yellow and
    green skin from indoor lighting (and red eyes if I use the flash despite
    the pre-flash preventative).
    4. The ability to shoot 5 or 6 multi-second action sequences on a single
    media source (and then grab high-quality stills from the footage) would be
    nice.

    I'm thinking about a Stylus 500, theorizing that a) those 21 modes are
    going to cover most of the shooting I do and b) it's not really necessary
    anymore to spend $5,000-$10,000 on a digital camera to get photos that are
    professional enough for a college webpage (and high-pixel enough for print
    use if necessary... not in our outsourced glossy VIEW BOOKS but in our
    in-house alumni publication). Basically true? Dead wrong?

    Thanks for your help.

    RW

    --
    "I'm a Slytherin, Potter," Malfoy reminded him.

    Rebecca Webb, Mar 29, 2005