    great. So what's your preferences of 56k ISP?

    Thanks,
    Spoon

    Spoon, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Spoon

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:48:59 +1300, "Spoon" <> wrote:

    >Well, this year I am gonna end up having to pay for dialup - what's my best
    >choice. I want flat rate (hell, the phone line isnt going to be used for
    >anything else so I may as well have it), good spead and cheaper the better
    >;). Contemplating slingshot, but opinion is mixed on them. I don't mind
    >paying 12 months at a time if it's cheaper that way, in fact, that would be
    >great. So what's your preferences of 56k ISP?

    It depends where you are, for a start.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Spoon

    John Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:48:59 +1300, "Spoon" <> wrote:

    >Well, this year I am gonna end up having to pay for dialup - what's my best
    >choice. I want flat rate (hell, the phone line isnt going to be used for
    >anything else so I may as well have it), good spead and cheaper the better
    >;). Contemplating slingshot, but opinion is mixed on them. I don't mind
    >paying 12 months at a time if it's cheaper that way, in fact, that would be
    >great. So what's your preferences of 56k ISP?

    IHUG

    John, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Hi there,

    Spoon wrote:
    > Well, this year I am gonna end up having to pay for dialup - what's my best
    > choice. I want flat rate (hell, the phone line isnt going to be used for
    > anything else so I may as well have it), good spead and cheaper the better
    > ;). Contemplating slingshot, but opinion is mixed on them. I don't mind
    > paying 12 months at a time if it's cheaper that way, in fact, that would be
    > great. So what's your preferences of 56k ISP?

    I'm using snap internet in Chch. Only once in last 12 months have I not
    been able to connect, and throughput is usually quite steady...

    $20 for 280 hours in 28 days (and no charges for exceeding the 280
    hours, like anyone would!)...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 1, 2004
  5. Spoon

    Spoon Guest

    Dunedin. Also, I kinda hinted at cheap.. ihug is $11 more than slingshot for
    example, so I think I'd prefer slingshot. Having said this, I might still go
    for a $22 ISP or something, they'll just have to be good.

    Spoon

    Spoon, Jan 1, 2004
  6. Spoon

    ac Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Spoon wrote:
    > > Well, this year I am gonna end up having to pay for dialup - what's my best
    > > choice. I want flat rate (hell, the phone line isnt going to be used for
    > > anything else so I may as well have it), good spead and cheaper the better
    > > ;). Contemplating slingshot, but opinion is mixed on them. I don't mind
    > > paying 12 months at a time if it's cheaper that way, in fact, that would be
    > > great. So what's your preferences of 56k ISP?

    > I'm using snap internet in Chch. Only once in last 12 months have I not
    > been able to connect, and throughput is usually quite steady...
    >
    > $20 for 280 hours in 28 days (and no charges for exceeding the 280
    > hours, like anyone would!)...

    I can just imagine your name (and photo maybe) on a dart board at the
    ISP. Or maybe they just have a modem named after you...

    ac, Jan 1, 2004
  7. Spoon

    pour-lay Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:48:59 +1300, "Spoon" <> wrote:

    >Well, this year I am gonna end up having to pay for dialup - what's my best
    >choice. I want flat rate (hell, the phone line isnt going to be used for
    >anything else so I may as well have it), good spead and cheaper the better
    >;). Contemplating slingshot, but opinion is mixed on them. I don't mind
    >paying 12 months at a time if it's cheaper that way, in fact, that would be
    >great. So what's your preferences of 56k ISP?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Spoon

    Whatever you choose do NOT expect better service from more expensive
    ISP's - it is not always so. ie Telecom ( xtra ) sucks worst of all.

    www.free.net.nz is as good as any of them if you ask me and you can
    try them out at 200 minutes per month FREE. They disconnect you after
    being online for 3 hours - so if you are pathetic like me and spend
    too much time on the net that might bother you.

    Slingshot is worse than free.net for what that info is worth to you.

    pour-lay, Jan 1, 2004
  8. Spoon

    Spoon Guest

    Lol, I got no other use for the phone line so I may as well leave it on 24/7
    ;).

    Spoon

    Spoon, Jan 1, 2004
  9. Spoon

    Spoon Guest

    > Whatever you choose do NOT expect better service from more expensive
    > ISP's - it is not always so. ie Telecom ( xtra ) sucks worst of all.
    >
    > www.free.net.nz is as good as any of them if you ask me and you can
    > try them out at 200 minutes per month FREE. They disconnect you after
    > being online for 3 hours - so if you are pathetic like me and spend
    > too much time on the net that might bother you.
    >
    > Slingshot is worse than free.net for what that info is worth to you.

    Just what I wanted to hear. I'm thinking that seeing as how I only need it
    for 10 months really I may as well just get ClearNet or something - been
    recommended as fast, and they dont care about long stays online apparently.

    Spoon

    Spoon, Jan 1, 2004
  10. In <bt0kma$227$> Spoon wrote:
    > Dunedin. Also, I kinda hinted at cheap.. ihug is $11 more than
    > slingshot for example, so I think I'd prefer slingshot. Having said
    > this, I might still go for a $22 ISP or something, they'll just have
    > to be good.
    >
    > Spoon

    I signed up for the Ihug Utopia account when it was available, which
    also requires you to use Ihug's phone toll service, but you get 250
    hours per month for $18.95. They changed the account deals again about a
    year ago, and now it's $19.95 for 60 hours (not enough!) or $27.95 for
    flat rate (too expensive). You can get 10% off those prices though if
    you sign up for their phone service too.

    They've offered to 'upgrade' my account to one of the newer 'deals' a
    couple of times, but I hopefully only have to hold on to it for a few
    more weeks, then 'Woosh'! :eek:)

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
    hurtling down the highway."

    Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Computer_Networks, Second Edition, p. 57

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 1, 2004
  11. On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 21:17:23 +1300, "Spoon" <>
    scribbled:

    >Dunedin. Also, I kinda hinted at cheap.. ihug is $11 more than slingshot for
    >example, so I think I'd prefer slingshot. Having said this, I might still go
    >for a $22 ISP or something, they'll just have to be good.

    Slingshot aren't the best apparently. I'd personally recommend
    Quicksilver for $23 a month for unlimited internet.

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Jan 1, 2004
  12. Spoon

    Tim Guest

    "Spoon" <> wrote in news:bt0occ$4pk$:

    >> Whatever you choose do NOT expect better service from more expensive
    >> ISP's - it is not always so. ie Telecom ( xtra ) sucks worst of all.
    >>
    >> www.free.net.nz is as good as any of them if you ask me and you can
    >> try them out at 200 minutes per month FREE. They disconnect you after
    >> being online for 3 hours - so if you are pathetic like me and spend
    >> too much time on the net that might bother you.
    >>
    >> Slingshot is worse than free.net for what that info is worth to you.

    > Just what I wanted to hear. I'm thinking that seeing as how I only
    > need it for 10 months really I may as well just get ClearNet or
    > something - been recommended as fast, and they dont care about long
    > stays online apparently.

    I just dumped ClearNet a couple of weeks ago because I was getting constant
    timeouts on webpages.
    I'm now with E3, which is the no frills home branch of Iconz. I'm paying
    $17.95 for completely flat rate, and it performs a lot better than the
    clearnet account did.

    http://www.e3.co.nz/

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>

    Tim, Jan 1, 2004
  13. Spoon

    Jerry Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:47:11 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:48:59 +1300, "Spoon" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, this year I am gonna end up having to pay for dialup - what's my best
    >>choice. I want flat rate (hell, the phone line isnt going to be used for
    >>anything else so I may as well have it), good spead and cheaper the better
    >>;). Contemplating slingshot, but opinion is mixed on them. I don't mind
    >>paying 12 months at a time if it's cheaper that way, in fact, that would be
    >>great. So what's your preferences of 56k ISP?
    >>

    >IHUG

    Unless IHUG has improved drastically in the few years since I was with
    them, they wouldn't get my recommendation at all

    Jerry

    Jerry, Jan 1, 2004
  14. Hi there,

    ac wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>Spoon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well, this year I am gonna end up having to pay for dialup - what's my best
    >>>choice. I want flat rate (hell, the phone line isnt going to be used for
    >>>anything else so I may as well have it), good spead and cheaper the better
    >>>;). Contemplating slingshot, but opinion is mixed on them. I don't mind
    >>>paying 12 months at a time if it's cheaper that way, in fact, that would be
    >>>great. So what's your preferences of 56k ISP?

    >>I'm using snap internet in Chch. Only once in last 12 months have I not
    >>been able to connect, and throughput is usually quite steady...
    >>
    >>$20 for 280 hours in 28 days (and no charges for exceeding the 280
    >>hours, like anyone would!)...

    > I can just imagine your name (and photo maybe) on a dart board at the
    > ISP. Or maybe they just have a modem named after you...

    That picture would be on the ISP's accounts clerk's desk... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 2, 2004
  15. Spoon

    sal Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 09:00:17 GMT, (pour-lay) wrote:

    >On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:48:59 +1300, "Spoon" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, this year I am gonna end up having to pay for dialup - what's my best
    >>choice. I want flat rate (hell, the phone line isnt going to be used for
    >>anything else so I may as well have it), good spead and cheaper the better
    >>;). Contemplating slingshot, but opinion is mixed on them. I don't mind
    >>paying 12 months at a time if it's cheaper that way, in fact, that would be
    >>great. So what's your preferences of 56k ISP?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Spoon
    >>

    >Whatever you choose do NOT expect better service from more expensive
    >ISP's - it is not always so. ie Telecom ( xtra ) sucks worst of all.
    >
    >www.free.net.nz is as good as any of them if you ask me and you can
    >try them out at 200 minutes per month FREE. They disconnect you after
    >being online for 3 hours - so if you are pathetic like me and spend
    >too much time on the net that might bother you.
    >
    >Slingshot is worse than free.net for what that info is worth to you.

    Wouldn't agree at all. I wasn't even able to connect with free in the
    evenings due to busy signals, only during the day. I have found the
    performance of Slngshot over the last 6 months far superior to even
    Xtra which I use for email.

    sal, Jan 2, 2004
  16. "Spoon" <> wrote in news:bt01e4$jre$:

    > Well, this year I am gonna end up having to pay for dialup - what's my
    > best choice. I want flat rate (hell, the phone line isnt going to be
    > used for anything else so I may as well have it), good spead and
    > cheaper the better ;). Contemplating slingshot, but opinion is mixed
    > on them. I don't mind paying 12 months at a time if it's cheaper that
    > way, in fact, that would be great. So what's your preferences of 56k
    > ISP?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Spoon

    Hi,

    I use Compass Communications (Compass Net) for ISP access. Found them to
    be excellent, haven't had any problems for well over three years. Costs
    me just over $22 (GST incl) per month for unlimited access.

    HTH.

    RH

    Richard Holmes, Jan 2, 2004
  17. Spoon

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "K" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:48:59 +1300, "Spoon" <> wrote:
    >
    > lol...... after being stung by the Net4U fiasco, I see now a mate of
    > the original scumbag has "taken over" the company, so
    > 1. DONT pay 12 mths in advance.....it doesnt matter HOW cheap it
    > is.... no good to you if they go bust
    > 2. Stay away from "small" ISP's...... stick with recognised brands, im
    > with IHUG for the next few months cos I got a cheap deal with a new
    > modem, but will be looking around when the cheap deal ends, they are
    > WAY over the top with their dial up rates, ditto Telescum, will prob

    Paradise is $20 for 28 days - not for each month. They get 13 payments each
    year.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 2, 2004
  18. Spoon

    K Guest

    K, Jan 2, 2004
  19. Spoon

    K Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:27:48 -0800, K <> wrote:

    oooooooooops almost forgot...... net4u now = fastaccess.co.nz you have
    bin warned......

    K, Jan 2, 2004
  20. On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:48:59 +1300, "Spoon" <> wrote with a
    sharpened banana:

    www.e3.net.nz

    Johnny B Goode, Jan 2, 2004