    is 26.4 Kbps with a Motorola modem. Units from Pine and Acer are about the
    same. Can anyone recommend the best modem for these condition?

    Farmer John
    Fudge, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Fudge

    Wizard Guest

    3com (US Robotics), however nothing is going to perform well until you
    get the phone company to fix the line. When you call them, tell em it's
    the fax machine & you can hear staic on the line.

    Wizard, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Fudge

    Thor Guest

    US Robotics Courier is really the benchmark for superiority in connection
    stability, but I don't think you'll like the pricetag.

    http://www.usr.com/products/business/business-product.asp?sku=USR3453B

    Aside from that, I'd suggest this one.

    http://www.usr.com/products/home/home-product.asp?sku=USR5610B

    US Robotics modems have always had the edge in connection relibility in my
    experience. Where a conexant, or Lucent model would connect at a "fair"
    speed, USR modems nearly always connect reliably at a faster speed, and deal
    with line noise more effectively. But if you have audible line noise, that
    is grounds to get your telco repair guys hopping to track down the source of
    the problem.

    Thor, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Fudge

    w_tom Guest

    Seek information on Shannon's Law. In simple terms, your
    signal in relation to your noise determines maximum bit rate.
    That fundamental fact should be well known and understood by
    everyone who replies to your question - because it is that
    fundamental to how modems work - and even why 56K modems only
    work at 53K max.

    No magic modem is going to undermine that so famous and
    fundamental theory. Fix the lines. It's not difficult to
    keep lines dry and noise free. But moreso, you have no
    alternative due to limitations of Shannon's law.

    w_tom, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Fudge

    sno Guest

    I have similar problem...the best have found for my
    lines is US Robotics....

    Zoom comes in second...

    The winmodem for both of them are as good as the
    on board chip modems they carry....and are much
    less expensive....you do need to update their
    drivers if you get one.....(am talking their
    v92 internal)...

    Robotics...

    http://www.usr.com/home.asp

    Zoom.....

    http://zoom.com/

    good luck...sno

    sno, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Fudge

    VWWall Guest

    w_tom wrote:
    > Seek information on Shannon's Law. In simple terms, your
    > signal in relation to your noise determines maximum bit rate.
    > That fundamental fact should be well known and understood by
    > everyone who replies to your question - because it is that
    > fundamental to how modems work - and even why 56K modems only
    > work at 53K max.

    The limitation is caused by the signal power that the modem is
    allowed to put on the phone line by FCC rules.

    For a note on Shannon's work see:

    http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/ms/what/shannonday/paper.html

    I had the good fortune to be a very junior engineer at Bell Labs
    when Claude was doing some of his best work. His wife-to-be, Betty
    Moore, worked in the same department as I. She had many stories
    about Claude's hobbies. He built a computer that took input and
    produced output in Roman numerals. The memory, and the CPU, (not
    called that at the time), were made up of multi-contact relays.
    A "1" was a closed contact and a "0" was an open. The output was
    displayed on modified "Nixie" tubes.

    Virg Wall
    --

    It is vain to do with more
    what can be done with fewer.
    VWWall, Apr 8, 2004
  7. Fudge

    VWWall Guest

    Fudge wrote:

    > My telephone line is terrible. Lots of noise and hum and when it rains, the
    > bit rate goes way down. I need the ultimate dial up modem. The best I can do
    > is 26.4 Kbps with a Motorola modem. Units from Pine and Acer are about the
    > same. Can anyone recommend the best modem for these condition?
    >
    > Farmer John

    I agree with Thor's recommendations. One problem with the USR5610 is
    that it installs on com5 in Windows98. This can make its use for DOS
    or Linux somewhat difficult. I get consistant connections at 45333.

    Virg Wall
    --

    It is vain to do with more
    what can be done with fewer.
    VWWall, Apr 8, 2004
  8. Fudge

    Jerry G. Guest

    No matter how good the modem is, if the phone line has a fault, the modem is
    never going to perform at its best. First get the phone line fixed, and then
    use a good modem for reliability.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Apr 8, 2004
  9. Fudge

    Spajky Guest

    On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:47:32 -0400, "Fudge" <> wrote:

    >My telephone line is terrible.

    Diamond Supra´s are IMHO best on bad lines if you can grab one!

    --
    Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
    Spajky, Apr 8, 2004
  10. On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:27:03 -0400, w_tom <> wrote:

    > Seek information on Shannon's Law. In simple terms, your
    >signal in relation to your noise determines maximum bit rate.
    >That fundamental fact should be well known and understood by
    >everyone who replies to your question - because it is that
    >fundamental to how modems work - and even why 56K modems only
    >work at 53K max.

    56k modems work at 53k because of a government law, not Shannon's law.

    > No magic modem is going to undermine that so famous and
    >fundamental theory. Fix the lines. It's not difficult to
    >keep lines dry and noise free. But moreso, you have no
    >alternative due to limitations of Shannon's law.

    Some modems deal with noise better than others. w_tom, as usual,
    starts with a grain of truth and builds it into a pile of horseshit.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Apr 8, 2004
  11. Fudge

    w_tom Guest

    Does BinaryBill ever post without insulting? At least he is
    no longer posting his insults under other aliases - created
    just to post more insults. In the newsgroup alt.home.repair
    after 5 Mar 2004 in a thread entitled "REQ: Recommend a
    whole-house surge suppressor?", BinaryBill posted more insults
    under the many other aliases such as
    and . He is as
    deceitful as he is technically naive.

    Now to educate BinaryBill on simple technology that he
    would have learned if he did not spend so much time
    insulting. The amount of power that can be transmitted on
    every phone line is limited by FCC - I believe Part 68.
    Therefore Shannon's Law limits how much data can be
    transmitted on that wire. Clearly and in direct contradiction
    to the silly post from BinaryBill: Shannon's Law clearly
    applies. BinaryBill should have known that simple technical
    fact - that Shannon's law does apply - rather than posting
    insults.

    Some modems deal with noise better than others - a small
    improvement. IOW some modems can get closer to ideal data
    rates. That best case data rate is defined by Shannon's law.
    No modem is going to exceed those limits. Better modems can
    mean tiny improvements as compared to fixing the wire. The
    big limitation is noise due wire problems. Fix the wires.
    Shannon's law says best possible data rate is increased by
    lowering noise - fixing bad wire. Shannon's Law also says if
    the power permitted on phone lines was increased, then the
    maximum data rate could be raised 56K. But at power levels
    defined for POTS phone lines (limited to avoid crosstalk), the
    best a 56K modem is going to do is 53K.

    Clearly Shannon's law does apply - the greatest insult to
    BinaryBill who is exposed again as technically naive. Again,
    his shortage of basic knowledge has been exposed - which is
    why he will post more insults. Some adults will always post
    as children.

    w_tom, Apr 8, 2004
  12. On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 12:14:45 -0400, w_tom <> wrote:

    <snip more of w_tom's incorrect technical ranting and raving>

    Sooner or later, someone is going to follow some of W_tom's incorrect,
    and often dangerous advice, and get themselves killed... If it hasn't
    happened already. The guy is a complete and proven fruitcake, and a
    menace to safety.

    BB
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Apr 8, 2004
  13. Fudge

    Wizard Guest

    Shannon's law

    Shannon's law: A statement defining the theoretical maximum rate at
    which error-free digits can be transmitted over a bandwidth-limited
    channel in the presence of noise, usually expressed in the form C = W
    log2(1 + S /N ), where C is the channel capacity in bits per second, W
    is the bandwidth in hertz, and S /N is the signal-to-noise ratio. (188)
    Note: Error-correction codes can improve the communications performance
    relative to uncoded transmission, but no practical error correction
    coding system exists that can closely approach the theoretical
    performance limit given by Shannon's law.

    Wizard, Apr 8, 2004
  14. Fudge

    w_tom Guest

    Amazing. One who posts as an expert but knows nothing even
    about Shannon's Law now thinks 'signal to noise' ratios will
    kill someone. Well at least he is broken of one habit. In a
    previous discussion, Sirius exposed BinaryBill's invention of
    something he called a "DC spike". BB eventually describes
    almost every poster as bonehead, ass, wacko, dimwit, demented,
    'VERY confused', looney, nuts, 'lying sack of shit', 'totally
    ignorant', 'stick a rope up your ass ...and climb it', and
    numbskull when others (almost everyone) question his tech
    school knowledge. http://makeashorterlink.com/?A1CC237A7

    Just to keep things staight, is your name still BinaryBill?
    What happened to and
    after those aliases were exposed?

    w_tom, Apr 8, 2004
  15. On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 17:49:40 GMT, Wizard <> wrote:

    >Shannon's law

    >Shannon's law: A statement defining the theoretical maximum rate at
    >which error-free digits can be transmitted over a bandwidth-limited
    >channel in the presence of noise, usually expressed in the form C = W
    >log2(1 + S /N ), where C is the channel capacity in bits per second, W
    >is the bandwidth in hertz, and S /N is the signal-to-noise ratio. (188)
    >Note: Error-correction codes can improve the communications performance
    >relative to uncoded transmission, but no practical error correction
    >coding system exists that can closely approach the theoretical
    >performance limit given by Shannon's law.

    Thanks, Woozer, but I already knew that.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Apr 8, 2004
  16. On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:51:21 -0400, w_tom <> wrote:

    > Amazing. One who posts as an expert but knows nothing even
    >about Shannon's Law now thinks 'signal to noise' ratios will
    >kill someone.

    No - YOU are going to kill someone with your frequently incorrect
    rants. I'm not the first person to point that out, either.

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Apr 8, 2004
  17. Fudge

    Gary D. Guest

    On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:47:32 -0400, "Fudge" <> wrote:

    >My telephone line is terrible. Lots of noise and hum and when it rains, the
    >bit rate goes way down. I need the ultimate dial up modem. The best I can do
    >is 26.4 Kbps with a Motorola modem. Units from Pine and Acer are about the
    >same. Can anyone recommend the best modem for these condition?
    >
    >Farmer John

    I previously suffered with an almost identical problem, although apart
    from slow connection speeds my main issue was random disconnections.

    My ISP suggested a few things, including contacting my phone company
    and asking them to increase the line gain from the standard 1 to the
    maximum of 3.
    However, this is fine with a clean line but with a noisy line will
    only increase the noise and also increase the likelihood of random
    disconnections, so first get the noise problem sorted out.

    When my phone company examined my nearest public routing/junction
    cabinet the engineer discovered that during heavy rainfall the water
    had been seeping into the cabinet and had gradually eroded some of the
    contacts; these were replaced and the line gain was increased to its
    maximum and now I connect at 50667bps for 90% of the time (49333bps
    the rest of the time). The connection rate is also now much more
    stable with only an occasional random disconnection.

    Don't know if any of this info helps?

    PS. I'm using Windows98 with an internal "Conexant HCF V90 56K Data
    Fax RTAD PCI Modem", plus I live in the UK. I've also used a "Rockwell
    56K ACF II Fax+Data+Voice Modem" (external) with so-so results.

    ---

    You're never alone with - schizophrenia!
    Gary D., Apr 10, 2004
  18. Fudge

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:51:21 -0400, w_tom <> wrote:

    > Amazing. One who posts as an expert but knows nothing even
    >about Shannon's Law now thinks 'signal to noise' ratios will
    >kill someone. Well at least he is broken of one habit. In a
    >previous discussion, Sirius exposed BinaryBill's invention of
    >something he called a "DC spike". BB eventually describes
    >almost every poster as bonehead, ass, wacko, dimwit, demented,
    >'VERY confused', looney, nuts, 'lying sack of shit', 'totally
    >ignorant', 'stick a rope up your ass ...and climb it', and
    >numbskull when others (almost everyone) question his tech
    >school knowledge. http://makeashorterlink.com/?A1CC237A7
    >
    > Just to keep things staight, is your name still BinaryBill?
    >What happened to and
    > after those aliases were exposed?
    >
    >BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:
    >> Sooner or later, someone is going to follow some of W_tom's incorrect,
    >> and often dangerous advice, and get themselves killed... If it hasn't
    >> happened already. The guy is a complete and proven fruitcake, and a
    >> menace to safety.

    Binary Bill died, you know.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent