    it's not DOA, but I'm not sure that's the best route.

    Thanks for all tips!

    BD
    BD, Aug 22, 2006

  2. BD

    Denny Guest

    Go to your Canadian version of Home Depot and buy a couple of work
    lights with 500 watt tubular, bulbs... WIll work just fine... Color
    will not be accurate but a couple of test shots will allow you to dial
    in the appropriate correction... Trust me on this... Much better than
    used photo stuff with expensive bulbs... In film days you would have
    color cast problems, but easily allowed for with digital...

    denny
    Denny, Aug 22, 2006

  3. BD

    joe mama Guest

    "Denny" <> wrote in message
    > Go to your Canadian version of Home Depot and buy a couple of work
    > lights with 500 watt tubular, bulbs... WIll work just fine... Color
    > will not be accurate but a couple of test shots will allow you to dial
    > in the appropriate correction... Trust me on this... Much better than
    > used photo stuff with expensive bulbs... In film days you would have
    > color cast problems, but easily allowed for with digital...
    >
    > denny

    just make sure your fire insurance is paid up, and that your model isn't
    made of flesh ;=) those blow torches will melt steel.

    look around for older monoblocs on ebay. good deals can be had all the time,
    if you look around. digital doesn't require the same amount of wattage as
    film does. especially medium toi large format films.

    you can get by with a decent 300ws or less light, and a reflector or two.
    joe mama, Aug 23, 2006
  4. BD

    tomm42 Guest

    BD wrote:
    > I have a very tall light stand with roughly 2" diameter posts for
    > mounting.
    >
    > I'm looking to get a couple of _moderately_ powerful (500w) studio
    > lights. No need for new, so long as the bulb is in decent shape.
    >
    > I'm in Canada.
    >
    > Just wondering where I might go to find decent deals on such stuff.
    > I've found some stuff on Ebay, which I expect would suffice so long as
    > it's not DOA, but I'm not sure that's the best route.
    >

    > Thanks for all tips!
    >
    > BD

    You can find Lowell lights around. The Tota Light has always been a
    nice hot light. There are simple filter holders and other attachments
    that make this light very vesitile. New they are around $120 US used
    generally haves that. They are light weight and pack small.
    1000 watts is really where to start for productive photo lights, 500
    watts just falls off to quickly. The might be different for digital as
    you won't be stuck to ISO 64 film.
    The other light that really helps is a focusing spot, I have a 250 watt
    Pepper that is fantastic. What I have for a hot light kit is 2
    TotaLights (1000 watt), 1 Lowell V-Light (totalights are better)(500
    watt). 250 watt focusing Pepper Light. I work with mostly medical
    instruments, you don't want to give a model a sunburn, if your subject
    moves use strobes.

    Tom
    tomm42, Aug 23, 2006