Best "credit-card" sized digital camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John M, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. John M

    John M Guest

    I'm looking for a nice digital camera that I can slip into a shirt pocket.
    I already have a Canon 10D and an Olympus C2100-UZ for times I can use a
    larger camera, but sometimes I just can't bring a big camera along, and I
    want a decent backup that I can carry in my pocket. I saw the Canon S-400
    at Best Buy, and that looks about my size. Is that a good choice? Is there
    something better? Thanks!
    John M, Jul 14, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John M

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:20:58 -0400, "John M" <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a nice digital camera that I can slip into a shirt pocket.
    >I already have a Canon 10D and an Olympus C2100-UZ for times I can use a
    >larger camera, but sometimes I just can't bring a big camera along, and I
    >want a decent backup that I can carry in my pocket. I saw the Canon S-400
    >at Best Buy, and that looks about my size. Is that a good choice? Is there
    >something better? Thanks!
    >

    I looked at the little Pentax credit card sized camera but didn't consider it
    after I saw the crappy battery access door. It didn't look to me as though
    it would last very long! Then I bought one of the little Casio Exilim Z3 and
    used it for about 3 weeks. I liked the size and features of the camera but
    I had a hard time taking good pictures with it ..... it was probably my fault.
    So I took it back and bought the Canon S-400 and I like it very much.
    I had just sold a Canon S-100 so its size was familiar to me.
    I also have an Olympus C2100-UZ and intend keeping it too.

    Jack Mac
    Jack Mac, Jul 14, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John M

    Rick Guest

    I have had my eye on the Canon Elph for the same reasons as you:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s400.html

    In fact just this weekend I was looking at one, and right next to it
    was a Fuji FinePix F401 (F410 is the new model):

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/fuji_f401.html

    I was more pleased with the overall look and feel of the Fuji, and
    since this was last years model it still used SmartMedia which I have
    lots of because I too have been an Olympus fan. Well to make a long
    story short I now own it.

    It was only $159 at Circuit City, the Canon Elph next to it (also last
    years model) was only $204...both were great deals.

    With any camera always handle and look at how the ergonomics are for
    you as everyone is different. This Fuji is exactly what I was looking
    for and I believe the above review site will tell you the same.

    "John M" <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a nice digital camera that I can slip into a shirt pocket.
    >I already have a Canon 10D and an Olympus C2100-UZ for times I can use a
    >larger camera, but sometimes I just can't bring a big camera along, and I
    >want a decent backup that I can carry in my pocket. I saw the Canon S-400
    >at Best Buy, and that looks about my size. Is that a good choice? Is there
    >something better? Thanks!
    >
    Rick, Jul 15, 2003
    #3
  4. I own the S400 and love it. Am amazed with the pictures!

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:20:58 -0400, "John M" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for a nice digital camera that I can slip into a shirt pocket.
    >I already have a Canon 10D and an Olympus C2100-UZ for times I can use a
    >larger camera, but sometimes I just can't bring a big camera along, and I
    >want a decent backup that I can carry in my pocket. I saw the Canon S-400
    >at Best Buy, and that looks about my size. Is that a good choice? Is there
    >something better? Thanks!
    >
    Oscar D. Jackson Jr. M.D., Jul 15, 2003
    #4
  5. John M

    Abrasha Guest

    Rick wrote:
    >
    > I have had my eye on the Canon Elph for the same reasons as you:
    >
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s400.html
    >
    > In fact just this weekend I was looking at one, and right next to it
    > was a Fuji FinePix F401 (F410 is the new model):
    >
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/fuji_f401.html
    >
    > I was more pleased with the overall look and feel of the Fuji, and
    > since this was last years model it still used SmartMedia which I have
    > lots of because I too have been an Olympus fan. Well to make a long
    > story short I now own it.
    >
    > It was only $159 at Circuit City, the Canon Elph next to it (also last
    > years model) was only $204...both were great deals.
    >


    With all due respect, the Canon S400 is not last year's model. It just came out
    in March of this year (announced on February 27). And if you could get that one
    for $204 as you claim, you are a fool for not having done so. That must have
    been the deal of the year.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Jul 15, 2003
    #5
  6. John M

    J Guest

    Maybe he was talking about the S230?...


    "Abrasha" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Rick wrote:
    > >
    > > I have had my eye on the Canon Elph for the same reasons as you:
    > >
    > > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s400.html
    > >
    > > In fact just this weekend I was looking at one, and right next to it
    > > was a Fuji FinePix F401 (F410 is the new model):
    > >
    > > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/fuji_f401.html
    > >
    > > I was more pleased with the overall look and feel of the Fuji, and
    > > since this was last years model it still used SmartMedia which I have
    > > lots of because I too have been an Olympus fan. Well to make a long
    > > story short I now own it.
    > >
    > > It was only $159 at Circuit City, the Canon Elph next to it (also last
    > > years model) was only $204...both were great deals.
    > >

    >
    > With all due respect, the Canon S400 is not last year's model. It just

    came out
    > in March of this year (announced on February 27). And if you could get

    that one
    > for $204 as you claim, you are a fool for not having done so. That must

    have
    > been the deal of the year.
    >
    > Abrasha
    > http://www.abrasha.com
    J, Jul 15, 2003
    #6
  7. John M

    Flux Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > I have had my eye on the Canon Elph for the same reasons as you:
    >
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s400.html
    >
    > In fact just this weekend I was looking at one, and right next to it
    > was a Fuji FinePix F401 (F410 is the new model):
    >
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/fuji_f401.html
    >
    > I was more pleased with the overall look and feel of the Fuji, and
    > since this was last years model it still used SmartMedia which I have
    > lots of because I too have been an Olympus fan. Well to make a long
    > story short I now own it.
    >
    > It was only $159 at Circuit City, the Canon Elph next to it (also last
    > years model) was only $204...both were great deals.
    >
    > With any camera always handle and look at how the ergonomics are for
    > you as everyone is different. This Fuji is exactly what I was looking
    > for and I believe the above review site will tell you the same.


    The Fuji F401 is a very portable P&S camera. It's very light (the Canons
    weight a ton by comparison), small, and produces quite nice pictures.
    However, I wouldn't recomend it for the OP.
    I think the Canon Elph cameras (they're called IXUS around here, but I
    believe they're identical otherwise) have better controls and features, the
    Fuji's menu controls are awkward (changing WB, ISO, or EV compensation is a
    pain). The focusing on the Canons is also better, though I think the Fuji
    gets the edge in macro shots and in noise levels at the higher ISO settings
    (at least in the models I tried).


    Flux
    Flux, Jul 15, 2003
    #7
  8. John M

    John M Guest

    "Jack Mac" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:20:58 -0400, "John M" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm looking for a nice digital camera that I can slip into a shirt

    pocket.
    > >I already have a Canon 10D and an Olympus C2100-UZ for times I can use a
    > >larger camera, but sometimes I just can't bring a big camera along, and I
    > >want a decent backup that I can carry in my pocket. I saw the Canon

    S-400
    > >at Best Buy, and that looks about my size. Is that a good choice? Is

    there
    > >something better? Thanks!
    > >

    > I looked at the little Pentax credit card sized camera but didn't

    consider it
    > after I saw the crappy battery access door. It didn't look to me as though
    > it would last very long! Then I bought one of the little Casio Exilim Z3

    and
    > used it for about 3 weeks. I liked the size and features of the camera but
    > I had a hard time taking good pictures with it ..... it was probably my

    fault.
    > So I took it back and bought the Canon S-400 and I like it very much.
    > I had just sold a Canon S-100 so its size was familiar to me.
    > I also have an Olympus C2100-UZ and intend keeping it too.
    >
    > Jack Mac


    Thanks for your input guys. Since I've heard only good things about the
    S400, and it takes compact flash (which I have tons of for my 10D), I
    decided to go with that. I ordered one from B&H for $435. Thanks again!
    John M, Jul 15, 2003
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mike Henley

    best credit-card sized digital camera?

    Mike Henley, May 17, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    2,854
    Dave Martindale
    May 24, 2004
  2. Stewy

    Pocket sized camera wanted

    Stewy, Feb 11, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    274
  3. Best Credit Card

    , Dec 10, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    355
  4. Best Credit Card

    , Dec 21, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    344
  5. Daniel Prince

    Best pocket sized camera with AA or AAA batteries and SD?

    Daniel Prince, Apr 3, 2008, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    5,818
Loading...

Share This Page