Best cookie/popup/ad blocker...

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Johnny Canuck, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Hi, I did not buy a new version of Norton Internet Security for a couple of
    years now ever since I switched to ZoneAlarm for firewall protection since
    it is much easier to use then Norton, works just as well, and FREE!

    I am looking for a piece of software that does the following features below
    like Norton Internet Security, but I DO NOT need a firewall or antivirus
    software as I have 2 preffered choices already (Zonealarm free for firewall,
    AVG for antivirus).

    QUESTION:
    If anyone has recommendations on a software program(s) that can fufill the
    needs below the way I specified please let me know. I don't mind buying the
    software program as long as it fufills my needs:

    1) PopUp Blocker (Except from trusted sites)
    2) Cookie blocker and cookie permissions for trusted sites.
    3) Adware blocker

    Norton Internet security did the above features.

    In particular, I loved 2 features of Norton Internet Security.
    a) The way NIS prompted you if you want to always accept a cookie
    from a certain site or block it.
    That way I could choose which sites are the "trusted" sites and
    which sites all cookies should be blocked from.
    b) As well, Norton Internet Securirity allowed you to export or
    import settings in case you do a reinstall or put in a new version, etc.,
    that way you don't have to redo any of your cookie overides. Being able to
    do this import or export of settings is a bonus since If I had to reinstall
    Windows it would be a bit of a chore to add the "trusted sites" again and
    makes managing multiple computers a lot easier.

    I'd prefer a free program BUT my most important requirement is that the
    program needs to work WELL (like the current software I use that is listed
    below) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I thought about
    Norton Internet Security, but I prefer ZoneAlarm free firewall to their own
    firewall software and I don't like the fact that it is so hard to prevent
    Norton Internet Security from installing the antivirus as well.

    I use Spybot (search and destroy) and Ad-Aware to remove spyware (after the
    fact).

    Thanks

    JC

    Johnny Canuck, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Johnny Canuck

    Vanguardx Guest

    "Johnny Canuck" <>
    wrote in news:hop6d.40$Yu3.18@clgrps12:
    > Hi, I did not buy a new version of Norton Internet Security for a
    > couple of years now ever since I switched to ZoneAlarm for firewall
    > protection since it is much easier to use then Norton, works just as
    > well, and FREE!
    > I am looking for a piece of software that does the following features
    > below like Norton Internet Security, but I DO NOT need a firewall or
    > antivirus software as I have 2 preffered choices already (Zonealarm
    > free for firewall, AVG for antivirus).
    >
    > QUESTION:
    > If anyone has recommendations on a software program(s) that can
    > fufill the needs below the way I specified please let me know. I
    > don't mind buying the software program as long as it fufills my needs:
    >
    > 1) PopUp Blocker (Except from trusted sites)
    > 2) Cookie blocker and cookie permissions for trusted sites.
    > 3) Adware blocker
    >
    > Norton Internet security did the above features.
    >
    > In particular, I loved 2 features of Norton Internet Security.
    > a) The way NIS prompted you if you want to always accept a
    > cookie from a certain site or block it.
    > That way I could choose which sites are the "trusted" sites and
    > which sites all cookies should be blocked from.
    > b) As well, Norton Internet Securirity allowed you to export or
    > import settings in case you do a reinstall or put in a new version,
    > etc., that way you don't have to redo any of your cookie overides.
    > Being able to do this import or export of settings is a bonus since
    > If I had to reinstall Windows it would be a bit of a chore to add the
    > "trusted sites" again and makes managing multiple computers a lot
    > easier.
    > I'd prefer a free program BUT my most important requirement is that
    > the program needs to work WELL (like the current software I use that
    > is listed below) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I
    > thought about Norton Internet Security, but I prefer ZoneAlarm free
    > firewall to their own firewall software and I don't like the fact
    > that it is so hard to prevent Norton Internet Security from
    > installing the antivirus as well.
    > I use Spybot (search and destroy) and Ad-Aware to remove spyware
    > (after the fact).
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > JC

    Still hunting, I see, by reposting your near-same prior inquiry of a
    week ago
    (http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=Hf04d.30513$yW6.15965@clgrps12,
    except #3 for AX and #4 for anonymous surfing changed to just #3 for
    malware but which is "ad blocker" in your Subject). Hopefully this
    doesn't become a weekly repost.

    The problems that I have with ad blockers is that they sometimes block
    non-ads. They also rely on substrings that may be perfectly legit
    (that's why you have a whole list of exceptions already pre-programmed
    when you first install the ad blocker program and you'll later have to
    add your own exceptions; I had to do that for Creative which had "ads"
    somewhere in the URL to review your trouble reports with them). Some
    sites will refuse to function (i.e., proffer any of their content) if
    you block the downloading of ALL the content of their web page since
    they use that revenue to offset the cost of the resources needed to
    present you with that web page you get to access for free. You might
    not realize this and wonder by you got a blank page with "Done" in the
    status line. Or you hit a page that uses Macromedia's Flash to paint
    the menues and other content of that page but which also includes the
    ads, so you could block Flash content but then you get a blank page if
    they don't offer an non-Flash version of the page.

    I refuse to let them dictate how the resources on MY computer get used
    (like popups, ActiveX or Java applet downloads, cookies, fonts, etc.)
    but similarly they should be able to dictate what is THEIR content. If
    you don't want that content, don't go there. You get their content for
    free so where are they going to generate revenue to pay for that web
    site? Yeah, I personally do not like seeing ads but I also see their
    viewpoint in compensation for their costs to provide that site. If you
    take the attitude that you shouldn't have to see part of their content
    (i.e., the ads) to see the rest then understand they have an equal right
    not to give you any of their content unless you see it all. If they
    wish to offer partial content with me blocking ads then that was their
    choice and you get to surf ad-free. If they wish to block all their
    content unless you see their ads (which is part of their content) then
    that's perfectly okay with me, too. Most users are ignorant of the
    repercussions of ad blocking. Good sites with helpful tools or
    information often disappear simply because they cannot afford to keep
    the site running because their users are blocking the ads they need to
    generate revenue to pay for the resources of that site. But then most
    end users are running web sites or having to pay for them. Most users
    have an exceedingly unrealistic view that everyone else should be
    altruistic to their visitors. So, how many days each week do you work
    for free for your employer? I'm still on the fence regarding ad
    blocking.

    In the prior thread of a week ago, Panicware was mentioned as including
    ad blocking. NIS has its web filtering for ad blocking but I'm close to
    disabling that feature since it interferes with the proper operation of
    many web sites. AdSubtract has been around for awhile.

    Vanguardx, Sep 29, 2004

  3. >
    > Still hunting, I see, by reposting your near-same prior inquiry of a week
    > ago
    > (http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=Hf04d.30513$yW6.15965@clgrps12,
    > except #3 for AX and #4 for anonymous surfing changed to just #3 for
    > malware but which is "ad blocker" in your Subject). Hopefully this
    > doesn't become a weekly repost.

    Actually about 12 hours after I had posted that other message I had this
    one posted BUT it was stuck in my outbox.
    I had replies on the other thread so I didn't need this message but I didn't
    notice that it didn't go through until I saw it in my "sent list" just
    now...

    > The problems that I have with ad blockers is that they sometimes block
    > non-ads. They also rely on substrings that may be perfectly legit (that's
    > why you have a whole list of exceptions already pre-programmed when you
    > first install the ad blocker program and you'll later have to add your own
    > exceptions; I had to do that for Creative which had "ads" somewhere in the
    > URL to review your trouble reports with them). Some sites will refuse to
    > function (i.e., proffer any of their content) if you block the downloading
    > of ALL the content of their web page since they use that revenue to offset
    > the cost of the resources needed to present you with that web page you get
    > to access for free. You might not realize this and wonder by you got a
    > blank page with "Done" in the status line. Or you hit a page that uses
    > Macromedia's Flash to paint the menues and other content of that page but
    > which also includes the ads, so you could block Flash content but then you
    > get a blank page if they don't offer an non-Flash version of the page.
    >
    > I refuse to let them dictate how the resources on MY computer get used
    > (like popups, ActiveX or Java applet downloads, cookies, fonts, etc.) but
    > similarly they should be able to dictate what is THEIR content. If you
    > don't want that content, don't go there. You get their content for free
    > so where are they going to generate revenue to pay for that web site?
    > Yeah, I personally do not like seeing ads but I also see their viewpoint
    > in compensation for their costs to provide that site. If you take the
    > attitude that you shouldn't have to see part of their content (i.e., the
    > ads) to see the rest then understand they have an equal right not to give
    > you any of their content unless you see it all. If they wish to offer
    > partial content with me blocking ads then that was their choice and you
    > get to surf ad-free. If they wish to block all their content unless you
    > see their ads (which is part of their content) then that's perfectly okay
    > with me, too. Most users are ignorant of the repercussions of ad
    > blocking. Good sites with helpful tools or information often disappear
    > simply because they cannot afford to keep the site running because their
    > users are blocking the ads they need to generate revenue to pay for the
    > resources of that site. But then most end users are running web sites or
    > having to pay for them. Most users have an exceedingly unrealistic view
    > that everyone else should be altruistic to their visitors. So, how many
    > days each week do you work for free for your employer? I'm still on the
    > fence regarding ad blocking.

    actually you make an EXCELLENT point about adblocking, there are a lot of
    great sites that need the ad revenue to survice. Pop up blocking is fine
    but ad block shouldn't be. That is why popupcop is good since each page
    gets it's own "virtual session". Solidly agree with you on this point.

    > In the prior thread of a week ago, Panicware was mentioned as including ad
    > blocking. NIS has its web filtering for ad blocking but I'm close to
    > disabling that feature since it interferes with the proper operation of
    > many web sites. AdSubtract has been around for awhile.

    Ad blocking is not a feature I need.
    I've downloaded popupcop, but haven't installed it since I need to reinstall
    my WinOS this weekend because of a couple of fatally damaged files.
    I'll give popupcop a run through after that. Thanks again for your help
    vanguardx, not only have you given my a nice suggestion on software, you've
    alerted me to other issues (such as some websits needing cookies to operate,
    the role ads play for smaller sites, etc.) that have me thinking as well.

    [offtopic: I just did a anti-virus post in the other group to see what
    people think, but the link you gave me seems to point to Kapersky being the
    best, with AVG being pretty decent for a free program. I didn't notice that
    this thread was still in that outbox or I would have deleted. Are you my
    shadow btw ;)

    JC

    Johnny Canuck, Sep 29, 2004
  4. In article <hop6d.40$Yu3.18@clgrps12>, on Wed, 29 Sep 2004 02:48:45 GMT, "Johnny Canuck"
    <> wrote:

    | Hi, I did not buy a new version of Norton Internet Security for a couple of
    | years now ever since I switched to ZoneAlarm for firewall protection since
    | it is much easier to use then Norton, works just as well, and FREE!
    |
    | I am looking for a piece of software that does the following features below
    | like Norton Internet Security, but I DO NOT need a firewall or antivirus
    | software as I have 2 preffered choices already (Zonealarm free for firewall,
    | AVG for antivirus).
    |
    | QUESTION:
    | If anyone has recommendations on a software program(s) that can fufill the
    | needs below the way I specified please let me know. I don't mind buying the
    | software program as long as it fufills my needs:
    |
    | 1) PopUp Blocker (Except from trusted sites)
    | 2) Cookie blocker and cookie permissions for trusted sites.
    | 3) Adware blocker

    Proximitron <http://www.proxomitron.info/>

    <davidp />

    --
    David Postill

    David Postill, Sep 29, 2004
  5. Firefox

    Have you tried Firefox? That gives you a reasonably fine control over what
    you download when you browse to the point of even disallowing images from
    certain sites. You can further sharpen it up with the add-ons (plugins)
    that allow even more intelligence.

    (sorry if I kicked in an open door, but it has worked for me quite well on
    both Windows and Linux).

    --

    Regards, /// Peter ///

    (remove animals from signature fist)

    Peter Houppermans, Sep 29, 2004
  6. Johnny Canuck

    andy smart Guest

    Re: Firefox

    andy smart, Sep 29, 2004
  7. Johnny Canuck

    Jim Watt Guest

    Re: Firefox

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:01:22 +0100, Peter Houppermans
    <> wrote:

    >Have you tried Firefox?

    Its good but not all websites work with it.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 29, 2004
  8. Johnny Canuck

    Leythos Guest

    Re: Firefox

    In article <>,
    _way says...
    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:01:22 +0100, Peter Houppermans
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Have you tried Firefox?

    > Its good but not all websites work with it.

    Many banking sites and many applications that require custom controls
    don't also.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Sep 29, 2004
  9. Johnny Canuck

    vb Guest

    "Johnny Canuck" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I did not buy a new version of Norton Internet Security for a couple

    of
    > years now ever since I switched to ZoneAlarm for firewall protection since
    > it is much easier to use then Norton, works just as well, and FREE!
    > Thanks
    >
    > JC

    Basically you get what you paid for....

    vb, Sep 29, 2004
  10. Johnny Canuck

    Jim Watt Guest

    Re: Firefox

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:42:19 GMT, Leythos <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >_way says...
    >> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:01:22 +0100, Peter Houppermans
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Have you tried Firefox?

    >> Its good but not all websites work with it.

    >Many banking sites and many applications that require custom controls
    >don't also.

    Indeed, www.natwest.com was what I had in mind.

    I also find subtle differences in table spacing

    OTOH to access a forum I use, Firefox does it flawlessly
    and IE does not work.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 30, 2004
  11. Re: Firefox

    Firefox is my backup browser but I don't use it either because some websites
    don't work with it.

    JC

    Johnny Canuck, Sep 30, 2004
  12. Johnny Canuck

    Vanguardx Guest

    "Johnny Canuck" <>
    wrote in news:pCr6d.55$Yu3.27@clgrps12:

    > [offtopic: I just did a anti-virus post in the other group to see what
    > people think, but the link you gave me seems to point to Kapersky
    > being the best, with AVG being pretty decent for a free program. I
    > didn't notice that this thread was still in that outbox or I would
    > have deleted. Are you my shadow btw ;)

    When my NAV subscription expires, my choices for replacement will be (as
    of today) either Kaspersky or NOD32 (and maybe add TDS-3 to NOD32), but
    subscription expires in March 2005 so my choices might change by then.
    Kaspersky has done pretty well not only in detecting viruses but also
    detecting trojans. However, Kaspersky creates and ADS (alternate data
    stream) to a file to save a hash signature of that file which it can use
    to speed up subsequent scans by seeing the file hasn't changed since the
    last scan. I don't like this technique and consider it pollutive. They
    now have a utility to remove those ADS'es (i.e., their latest version
    still adds them and then you use this utility to remove them, so I don't
    know if the removal is permanent or you get stuck having to run it
    periodically to clean up after Kaspersky).

    From my other posts (http://snipurl.com/9fl3, http://snipurl.com/9fl7,
    http://snipurl.com/9fl6, http://snipurl.com/9fla), you'll see that I
    mention anti-virus products don't scan the ADS of files, and Kasperksy
    might not either (I haven't found them mention that they do) although
    they utilize it for their own purpose. To be accurate, I'm not saying
    that no anti-virus products scan the ADS of files. I'm saying I haven't
    found any claiming that they do scan the ADS of files. ADS has been
    around as long as NTFS so I have to wonder why it was only recently that
    users have questioned the negligence to scan them. Ad-Aware'new version
    supposedly now scans ADS, but Spybot does not and I haven't seen an
    anti-virus product announcing it as a feature.

    Vanguardx, Sep 30, 2004
  13. Johnny Canuck

    Vanguardx Guest

    "David Postill" <>
    wrote in news::

    > Proximitron <http://www.proxomitron.info/>

    JC, just be aware that Proxomitron is a dead project kept lingering by
    some enthusiasts. See:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxomitron
    www.proxomitron.org

    Vanguardx, Sep 30, 2004
  14. Johnny Canuck

    Vanguardx Guest

    "vb" <>
    wrote in news::
    > "Johnny Canuck" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I did not buy a new version of Norton Internet Security for a
    >> couple of years now ever since I switched to ZoneAlarm for firewall
    >> protection since it is much easier to use then Norton, works just as
    >> well, and FREE! Thanks
    >>
    >> JC
    >>

    > Basically you get what you paid for....

    So what you are saying as that the cheaper the product then the *more*
    features, better stability, and more robustness is what you usually get?
    The OP said they paid for Norton and got ZA for free and that ZA worked
    better for him. Yet you infer that the free ZA product would be a worst
    choice than Norton. I've tried Norton Internet Security, ZoneAlarm
    free, and ZoneAlarm Pro. I could go either way between NIS and ZA Pro,
    but ZA free was definitely out.

    Vanguardx, Sep 30, 2004
  15. Johnny Canuck

    donnie Guest

    <> wrote:

    > 1) PopUp Blocker (Except from trusted sites)
    > 2) Cookie blocker and cookie permissions for trusted sites.
    > 3) Adware blocker

    #####################
    I have been blocking popups by setting IE to prompt me if I want to
    run scripts. It's a liitle bit of a pain to have to click yes or no
    every time a page loads but it sure stops the popups and any other
    unwated scripting. I also block ActiveX and all scripting. The
    settings are right there. It's the same for cookies. Those settings
    block a lot of adware too. I know what you're saying, but then I
    can't view some web pages. If I really want to see them, I'll click
    yes when I get the prompt and wait for the popup.

    donnie, Sep 30, 2004
  16. Johnny Canuck

    Paul Guest

    Re: Firefox

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:04:33 GMT, "Johnny Canuck"
    <> wrote:

    >Firefox is my backup browser but I don't use it either because some websites
    >don't work with it.
    >
    >JC
    >
    >"Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:01:22 +0100, Peter Houppermans
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Have you tried Firefox?

    >> Its good but not all websites work with it.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    I use Firefox as first choice and found it works with most sites, and
    for any it doesn't you can install an extension called IE view that
    allows you to view the page in internet explorer.

    http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/showlist.php?category=Page Display

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 30, 2004
  17. Thanks Vanguard, I thought something was odd with it.

    Just for everyone else's edification, vanguardx recommends:
    www.popupcop.com as a great popupblocker/customerizer software for both
    popups and cookies.

    JC

    Johnny Canuck, Oct 1, 2004
  18. Re: Firefox

    intereting link Paul, thank you, I will take a look.

    JC

    Johnny Canuck, Oct 1, 2004
  19. "donnie" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 02:48:45 GMT, "Johnny Canuck"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> 1) PopUp Blocker (Except from trusted sites)
    >> 2) Cookie blocker and cookie permissions for trusted sites.
    >> 3) Adware blocker

    > #####################
    > I have been blocking popups by setting IE to prompt me if I want to
    > run scripts. It's a liitle bit of a pain to have to click yes or no
    > every time a page loads but it sure stops the popups and any other
    > unwated scripting. I also block ActiveX and all scripting. The
    > settings are right there. It's the same for cookies. Those settings
    > block a lot of adware too. I know what you're saying, but then I
    > can't view some web pages. If I really want to see them, I'll click
    > yes when I get the prompt and wait for the popup.

    thanks for the info.

    I really one of these days have to get a "Windows XP resource book" or learn
    windows xp inside out or stuff like that, there seems to be so many little
    settings I don't know about. I can build a computer from scratch and
    reinstall an O/S with my eyes closed, but I often overlook silly little
    options in Windows...

    Johnny Canuck, Oct 1, 2004
  20. On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 02:48:45 GMT, "Johnny Canuck"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, I did not buy a new version of Norton Internet Security for a couple of
    >years now ever since I switched to ZoneAlarm for firewall protection since
    >it is much easier to use then Norton, works just as well, and FREE!
    >
    >I am looking for a piece of software that does the following features below
    >like Norton Internet Security, but I DO NOT need a firewall or antivirus
    >software as I have 2 preffered choices already (Zonealarm free for firewall,
    >AVG for antivirus).
    >
    >QUESTION:
    >If anyone has recommendations on a software program(s) that can fufill the
    >needs below the way I specified please let me know. I don't mind buying the
    >software program as long as it fufills my needs:
    >
    > 1) PopUp Blocker (Except from trusted sites)
    > 2) Cookie blocker and cookie permissions for trusted sites.
    > 3) Adware blocker
    >
    >Norton Internet security did the above features.
    >
    >In particular, I loved 2 features of Norton Internet Security.
    > a) The way NIS prompted you if you want to always accept a cookie
    >from a certain site or block it.
    > That way I could choose which sites are the "trusted" sites and
    >which sites all cookies should be blocked from.
    > b) As well, Norton Internet Securirity allowed you to export or
    >import settings in case you do a reinstall or put in a new version, etc.,
    >that way you don't have to redo any of your cookie overides. Being able to
    >do this import or export of settings is a bonus since If I had to reinstall
    >Windows it would be a bit of a chore to add the "trusted sites" again and
    >makes managing multiple computers a lot easier.
    >
    >I'd prefer a free program BUT my most important requirement is that the
    >program needs to work WELL (like the current software I use that is listed
    >below) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I thought about
    >Norton Internet Security, but I prefer ZoneAlarm free firewall to their own
    >firewall software and I don't like the fact that it is so hard to prevent
    >Norton Internet Security from installing the antivirus as well.
    >
    >I use Spybot (search and destroy) and Ad-Aware to remove spyware (after the
    >fact).
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >JC

    read my revieuws: