Best CompactFlash Reader

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jen Sampson, May 23, 2004.

  1. Jen Sampson

    Jen Sampson Guest

    I'm new to CompactFlash and digital photography. I'm considering
    purchasing a multi format reader, such as the SanDisk 8-in-1 USB 2.0
    Memory Card Reader. I'm looking for advice on what to buy.

    I only need CF capability at the moment, but the other formats may be
    useful in the future. I have USB 2.0 capability, and am looking for
    that in my Reader. At the moment I have Canon and Viking CF cards.

    Is there any model that will be better suit my needs or be a better
    value than others? Also, a longer USB cord length would be a
    nice-to-have feature, as my computer is under my desk.

    Thanks!
     
    Jen Sampson, May 23, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jen Sampson

    B. Peg Guest

    I've got one. My only peeve is that it really isn't marked well as to which
    way the card slides in. Also, the LEDs are always on (yellow) so you may
    not know if it is still read/writing unless you watch the screen or program
    closely. Cord length was ample to go under desk on mine, but I think you
    are limited to no more than 16 feet or so on USB. Someone may know the
    exact number better. Transfer is fast via USB 2.0 PCI card on mine.
    Also, the device will show up as 4 extra drives in the taskbar (mine shows
    up as Drives J, K, L, M).

    B~
     
    B. Peg, May 23, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jen Sampson

    S.Heenan Guest

    Jen Sampson wrote:
    > I'm new to CompactFlash and digital photography. I'm considering
    > purchasing a multi format reader, such as the SanDisk 8-in-1 USB 2.0
    > Memory Card Reader. I'm looking for advice on what to buy.
    >
    > I only need CF capability at the moment, but the other formats may be
    > useful in the future. I have USB 2.0 capability, and am looking for
    > that in my Reader. At the moment I have Canon and Viking CF cards.
    >
    > Is there any model that will be better suit my needs or be a better
    > value than others? Also, a longer USB cord length would be a
    > nice-to-have feature, as my computer is under my desk.



    http://www.cbit.ca/retail_productdetail.asp?CatID=36&SubCatID=76&ProdNo=FLY-M40-981
    This is the unit I prefer when a cardreader is required. It does work with
    both Win98 and Win XP.

    If you prefer an external unit, the SanDisk cards readers seem to work well.
     
    S.Heenan, May 24, 2004
    #3
  4. Jen Sampson

    Douglas Guest

    I think he would be throwing good money away,if he doesn't need a floppy
    drive.There are many 6 or 7-in-1 card readers,for under $20 shipped! I have
    purchased them for as low as $12 shipped.Why pay $62? Check out
    newegg.com,or do a search on pricewatch.As long as you get a USB 2.0
    reader,one works pretty much as well as the next.
    "S.Heenan" <> wrote in message
    news:K4dsc.542174$Pk3.460656@pd7tw1no...
    > Jen Sampson wrote:
    > > I'm new to CompactFlash and digital photography. I'm considering
    > > purchasing a multi format reader, such as the SanDisk 8-in-1 USB 2.0
    > > Memory Card Reader. I'm looking for advice on what to buy.
    > >
    > > I only need CF capability at the moment, but the other formats may be
    > > useful in the future. I have USB 2.0 capability, and am looking for
    > > that in my Reader. At the moment I have Canon and Viking CF cards.
    > >
    > > Is there any model that will be better suit my needs or be a better
    > > value than others? Also, a longer USB cord length would be a
    > > nice-to-have feature, as my computer is under my desk.

    >
    >
    >

    http://www.cbit.ca/retail_productdetail.asp?CatID=36&SubCatID=76&ProdNo=FLY-M40-981
    > This is the unit I prefer when a cardreader is required. It does work with
    > both Win98 and Win XP.
    >
    > If you prefer an external unit, the SanDisk cards readers seem to work

    well.
    >
    >
     
    Douglas, May 24, 2004
    #4
  5. Jen Sampson

    J. Clarke Guest

    "Douglas" <.> wrote:

    > I think he would be throwing good money away,if he doesn't need a floppy
    > drive.There are many 6 or 7-in-1 card readers,for under $20 shipped! I
    > have purchased them for as low as $12 shipped.Why pay $62? Check out
    > newegg.com,or do a search on pricewatch.As long as you get a USB 2.0
    > reader,one works pretty much as well as the next.


    Main thing is convenience--if the machine has a limited number of exposed
    bays then the Mitsumi lets you have both the diskette drive and the various
    readers without using up an extra bay. Note that the diskette drive is
    attached via the standard diskette interface, not the USB cable.

    62 bucks is a high price though--newegg has it for 32 in white and 35 in
    black.

    > "S.Heenan" <> wrote in message
    > news:K4dsc.542174$Pk3.460656@pd7tw1no...
    >> Jen Sampson wrote:
    >> > I'm new to CompactFlash and digital photography. I'm considering
    >> > purchasing a multi format reader, such as the SanDisk 8-in-1 USB 2.0
    >> > Memory Card Reader. I'm looking for advice on what to buy.
    >> >
    >> > I only need CF capability at the moment, but the other formats may be
    >> > useful in the future. I have USB 2.0 capability, and am looking for
    >> > that in my Reader. At the moment I have Canon and Viking CF cards.
    >> >
    >> > Is there any model that will be better suit my needs or be a better
    >> > value than others? Also, a longer USB cord length would be a
    >> > nice-to-have feature, as my computer is under my desk.

    >>
    >>
    >>

    >

    http://www.cbit.ca/retail_productdetail.asp?CatID=36&SubCatID=76&ProdNo=FLY-M40-981
    >> This is the unit I prefer when a cardreader is required. It does work
    >> with both Win98 and Win XP.
    >>
    >> If you prefer an external unit, the SanDisk cards readers seem to work

    > well.
    >>
    >>


    --
    --John
    Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
     
    J. Clarke, May 24, 2004
    #5
  6. Jen Sampson

    S.Heenan Guest

    J. Clarke wrote:
    > Main thing is convenience--if the machine has a limited number of
    > exposed bays then the Mitsumi lets you have both the diskette drive
    > and the various readers without using up an extra bay. Note that the
    > diskette drive is attached via the standard diskette interface, not
    > the USB cable.
    >
    > 62 bucks is a high price though--newegg has it for 32 in white and 35
    > in black.


    The $62 is in Canadian dollars. I've bought the same unit for $28USD
    (converted), recently.
     
    S.Heenan, May 24, 2004
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    SanDisk ImageMate USB 2.0 CompactFlash Reader

    Silverstrand, Nov 12, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    676
    Silverstrand
    Nov 12, 2005
  2. could be anyone

    Best Compactflash media?

    could be anyone, Jan 18, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,101
    Maywood
    Jan 20, 2004
  3. jl4000

    compactflash card reader problem

    jl4000, Sep 15, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    267
    Jim Townsend
    Sep 15, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?cGpvaGFuc2U=?=

    CompactFlash Reader

    =?Utf-8?B?cGpvaGFuc2U=?=, Aug 3, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    351
    Donald Wilkinson
    Aug 5, 2005
  5. Bruce.

    SDHC and CompactFlash card reader?

    Bruce., Jun 19, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    396
Loading...

Share This Page