    cameras that save movies as AVI files that would be unmanageably large
    for modest computer editing resources.

    Suggestions gratefully received.
    Phillip21, Jan 24, 2008

  2. Phillip21 wrote:
    > I have used my Sony Cybershot DSC-W15 to make short movies for two
    > years - quite a few of which are on YouTube.. It saves the movies
    > (with mono sound) as MPEG-1 files, which are quite manageable in size
    > (even at 640x480 24 frames/sec). Alas this camera has stopped working
    > and seems to be uneconomic to repair, and the updated Sony models do
    > not seem to offer the same options - the equivalent quality mode is
    > only at 16 fps.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a still camera with movie mode that will do 640x480
    > movies at 25-30 fps with compression. There seem to be plenty of
    > cameras that save movies as AVI files that would be unmanageably large
    > for modest computer editing resources.
    >
    > Suggestions gratefully received.

    Pansonic TZ3, with you favourite video program for compression, e.g.
    Virtual Dub (free).

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

    http://www.virtualdub.org/

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 25, 2008

  3. Phillip21

    Phillip21 Guest

    Thanks David, I will have a look at that model.
    Phillip21, Jan 25, 2008
  4. Phillip21

    dj_nme Guest

    Phillip21 wrote:
    > Thanks David, I will have a look at that model.

    There's also the Aiptek GO-HD, it records video in 720P (1280 x 720 High
    Definition at 30fps), has a 3x optical zoom and 2x digital zoom.
    It only got a 5mp sensor, so it isn't really for printing poster sized
    prints.
    dj_nme, Jan 25, 2008
  5. Phillip21

    John Turco Guest

    Phillip21 wrote:

    > I have used my Sony Cybershot DSC-W15 to make short movies for two
    > years - quite a few of which are on YouTube.. It saves the movies
    > (with mono sound) as MPEG-1 files, which are quite manageable in size
    > (even at 640x480 24 frames/sec). Alas this camera has stopped working
    > and seems to be uneconomic to repair, and the updated Sony models do
    > not seem to offer the same options - the equivalent quality mode is
    > only at 16 fps.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a still camera with movie mode that will do 640x480
    > movies at 25-30 fps with compression. There seem to be plenty of
    > cameras that save movies as AVI files that would be unmanageably large
    > for modest computer editing resources.
    >
    > Suggestions gratefully received.

    Hello, Phillip:

    Here are some of the Kodak EasyShare Z1275's specifications, according
    to the manufacturer:

    "High Definition 1280 x 720 at 30 fps
    VGA 640 x 480 at 30 fps
    QVGA 320 x 240 at 30 fps
    Up to 80-minutes continuous shooting (based on 2 GB memory)"

    "HD still capture
    Display your pictures on the 16:9 wide screen using your KODAK
    EASYSHARE Digital Picture Frame
    You can also view your pictures in high-definition on an HDTV or other
    HD device"

    "High ISO
    Capture the details with faster shutter speeds when shooting under low
    light conditions with ISO up to 3200"

    "Digital image stabilization
    Reduce blur caused by camera shake or subject movement"

    "5x optical zoom"

    "64 MB internal memory available"

    "SDHC/SD/MMC slot for expandable memory"

    "Quicktime MPEG4 video format"

    "optional KODAK EASYSHARE Docks with KODAK Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery
    Pack; 2AA batteries (Ni-MH, Lithium, or Oxy-Alkaline)"

    This 12-megapixel digicam appears to be an incredible bargain, at an
    average retail price of around $200 USD, currently.

    And, from experience, I can assure you that Kodak cameras record MOV
    files, rather than AVI ones.

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>