    I am looking for a 28mm wide angle, +zoon +stabilizer.

    Thinking about Olympus SP-550.

    Thanks
    Fco, Sep 12, 2007

  2. "Best" is a very subjective quality. A lot depends on you. For example
    how a camera feels in your hands, how easy it is for you to view through the
    viewfinder or see the display screen are a big part of what makes one camera
    "best" for you.

    I would narrow down the list and the other responses you get here is one
    way you may be able to narrow down the list by rating the comments as they
    apply or don't apply to you personally and then personally get a few of
    those that appear good in your own hands.

    Note: 28mm is a measurement of focal length. Over the years it was
    taken to mean a wide angle lens as it would be on a standard 35 mm camera.
    Today with the wide range of digital cameras out there, it is an almost
    meaningless number. On one digital it might be a very wide angle an on
    another it might be telephoto. Considering most compact cameras today have
    zoom lenses, is it fair to guess that you want one that when set to wide
    angle has the equivalent angle of view as a standard 35mm camera with a 28
    mm lens?

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 12, 2007

  3. Fco

    Fco Guest

    I think I will purchase a Panasonic FZ18, or probably a olympus SP-550

    Any comments?

    Fco, Sep 12, 2007
  4. Fco

    plb49 Guest

    On Sep 12, 7:22 am, "Fco" <> wrote:
    > I think I will purchase a Panasonic FZ18, or probably a olympus SP-550
    >
    > Any comments?
    >
    > "Fco" <> escribió en el mensajenews:fc898f$me8$...
    >

    > > Some Advice?

    > > I am looking for a 28mm wide angle, +zoon +stabilizer.

    > > Thinking about Olympus SP-550.

    > > Thanks

    I am pleased with the wide-angle capabilities of my newish Canon SD800
    IS. Although I haven't gotten it yet, I am also pleased that it will
    take an auxiliary flash attachment, as the flash range of most P & S
    cameras is quite limited.

    Paul B.
    www.scienceteacher.biz
    plb49, Sep 12, 2007
  5. Fco

    pltrgyst Guest

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:22:19 +0200, "Fco" <> wrote:

    >I think I will purchase a Panasonic FZ18, or probably a olympus SP-550
    >
    >Any comments?

    I think you'd probably find the image stabilization on the Panasonic to be more
    effective. I've got the Leica D-Lux 3, and find it so, compared to my former
    (now my wife's) Olympus.

    -- Larry
    pltrgyst, Sep 12, 2007
  6. Fco

    Dave Cohen Guest

    plb49 wrote:
    > On Sep 12, 7:22 am, "Fco" <> wrote:
    >> I think I will purchase a Panasonic FZ18, or probably a olympus SP-550
    >>
    >> Any comments?
    >>
    >> "Fco" <> escribió en el mensajenews:fc898f$me8$...
    >>

    >>> Some Advice?
    >>> I am looking for a 28mm wide angle, +zoon +stabilizer.
    >>> Thinking about Olympus SP-550.
    >>> Thanks

    > I am pleased with the wide-angle capabilities of my newish Canon SD800
    > IS. Although I haven't gotten it yet, I am also pleased that it will
    > take an auxiliary flash attachment, as the flash range of most P & S
    > cameras is quite limited.
    >
    > Paul B.
    > www.scienceteacher.biz

    If you are saying that camera (SD800) has a flash bracket, they've got
    it well hidden.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14227
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Sep 12, 2007
  7. Fco

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:22:19 +0200, Fco wrote:

    > I think I will purchase a Panasonic FZ18, or probably a olympus SP-550
    >
    > Any comments?
    >

    > "Fco" <> escribió en el mensaje
    >>

    >> Some Advice?
    >>
    >> I am looking for a 28mm wide angle, +zoon +stabilizer.
    >>
    >> Thinking about Olympus SP-550.
    >>

    >> Thanks

    Whatever floats your boat. My only recommendation would be that if you're
    looking for an EVF (Electronic ViewFinder) camera, you should look at
    several. Most will have a 110k pixel viewfinder. That seems to be fine for
    lots of folks - I find it unacceptable. The Kodak Z and P series (and some
    models from other manufacturers) use at least a 220k pixel viewfinder - it
    is much clearer what you are doing. IMHO - it's worth looking at both
    types to see the difference.
    ray, Sep 12, 2007
  8. Fco

    Fco Guest

    Ok, thanks to all for your reply

    I´ve decided for the Panasonic FZ18. The reasons are

    - 28mm Wide angle (equivalent 35mm). There are not many "bridge cameras"
    with this wide angle
    - It seems to have an optic of high quality
    - I. Stabilizer

    Viewfinder is 188K

    In a couple of days I will receive it

    Regards,