    photo hard copies (but really good B/W), and the HP is to old. I imagine
    that you get better prints from consumer printers nowadays.

    Regards, Lars.
    Lars Bonnesen, Dec 27, 2004

  2. Lars Bonnesen wrote:
    > I am looking for a printer, that can be used to do hard copies of
    > digital photos.
    >
    > What is a good choice (when also looking at price/performance)? I
    > have an old HP inkjet printer and an old laserjet. The laserjet (B/W)
    > makes terribel photo hard copies (but really good B/W), and the HP is
    > to old. I imagine that you get better prints from consumer printers
    > nowadays.

    Epson R200 or R300 is a good compromise. R800 is even better.

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 27, 2004

  3. Lars Bonnesen

    Arthur Small Guest

    There is NO best. Depending on your needs there are many good photo printers
    on the market. Do you want ink jet or dye sub. Will you print only 4x6,
    8x10 or 24 x 36.
    What is reasonable? $100.00 or $500.00.
    Look at http://www.imaging-resource.com/ or other sources for reviews.
    Arthur Small, Dec 27, 2004
  4. "Arthur Small" <> wrote in message
    > There is NO best. Depending on your needs there are many good photo
    > printers on the market. Do you want ink jet or dye sub.

    To be honest, I actually don't know the difference, allthough I do work
    with computers. What I would do, preferably, is to print on ordinary A4
    paper and to get resonable prints.

    I don't do hardcopy very much. I prefer to have the pictures electronically,
    but from time to time, I is a good thing to do a hard copy.

    My HP printer has run out on color ink, and I am thinking that I won't
    change the cartridge. I will rather get a new printer. The printer shall
    then take over where the the HP color printer did the job.

    > Will you print only 4x6, 8x10 or 24 x 36.

    A4 - A5

    A3 would be nice, but will probably raise the price a lot?

    > What is reasonable? $100.00 or $500.00.

    Well, I am living in Denmark, so it is hard to currency conversion because
    of difference in VAT and so on. But max $300 is probably what I originally
    inteded to pay. The range Epson R300-R800 is ok.

    But I am not only thinking on the price on the hardware as the only thing -
    I am more thinking on TCO.

    > Look at http://www.imaging-resource.com/ or other sources for reviews.

    I will. Thanks to both of you.

    Regards, Lars.
    Lars Bonnesen, Dec 27, 2004
  5. Lars Bonnesen

    Zoidberg Guest

    Hi Lars,

    I recently bought a Epson R800 and it is fabulous! A friend also has
    the Epson R320 which also prints great photos. I decided on the R800
    though for the archival qualities as I am an autograph collector and I
    wanted to print photos that will last. Since I never print anything
    over 8 1/2 x 11 the R800 was perfect for me. It cost $399 but I got a
    $75 giftcard rebate on it so it wasn't a bad price.

    Zoidberg, Dec 27, 2004
  6. If (like most people I know) you are content with 4 x 6 in (10 x 15 cm)
    prints, you cannot beat store-made prints. they are at least 60% cheaper,
    much less fuss and bother, and, unless you are an expert, also much better
    quality.
    on the comparatively rare occasions when you need a bigger format (such as
    A4 or letter size), or when you have special demands as to picture
    manipulation, it's wiser to enlist the help of a friend who does this more
    often (of course, offer to pay for paper and ink!).

    On the other hand, if you have a secret yearning to fool around with
    printing techniques - the sky is the limit ...

    Yehuda Paradise, Dec 27, 2004
  7. There is no best because they all suck! Until you spend enough to get
    archival and more than 4 colors you can't beat the price of the internet
    photoprinters. Even then it costs more...but it's worth it.

    Suck is no very specific...so...

    The prints fade
    the consumables are expensive

    Gene Palmiter, Dec 27, 2004
  8. Lars Bonnesen

    Steve m... Guest

    HP makes a great printer. And the new ones are rated to last 113+ years.
    That should be enough for you. If you get a Photosmart printer you should
    be fine with the 6 color process. You can get a 8450 with 8 color process
    for around $250 or so at Best Buy.
    They aren't number 1 for no reason at all you know.

    Steve

    Steve m..., Dec 27, 2004
  9. Lars Bonnesen

    measekite Guest

    Canon IP4000 is the clear winner. PC Mag editors choice. And it is the
    best value.

    measekite, Dec 27, 2004
  10. Lars Bonnesen

    Ken Guest

    "measekite" <> wrote in message news:xWXzd.3044$...
    > Canon IP4000 is the clear winner. PC Mag editors choice. And it is the
    > best value.

    Since I bought the Canon PIXMA iP6000D last week I will have to disagree with you and my
    claim is that the Canon PIXMA iP6000D is vastly superior to the Canon IP4000 and any other
    printer on the market today.
    Ken, Dec 27, 2004
  11. Lars Bonnesen

    Matt Ion Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > "measekite" <> wrote in message news:xWXzd.3044$...
    >
    >>Canon IP4000 is the clear winner. PC Mag editors choice. And it is the
    >>best value.

    > Since I bought the Canon PIXMA iP6000D last week I will have to disagree with you and my
    > claim is that the Canon PIXMA iP6000D is vastly superior to the Canon IP4000 and any other
    > printer on the market today.

    I don't know if others (HP, Epson, et al) are doing this yet (I would
    assume not because they never seem to advertise it), but Canon's
    ThinkTank system has a tremendous advantage in TCO, by allowing you to
    replace individual color tanks as each runs low, instead of having to
    replace one cartridge with all the colors when just one color runs low.
    In a 6- or 8-color system, this can add up significantly.
    Matt Ion, Dec 27, 2004
  12. Lars Bonnesen

    Ken Guest

    "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message news:tM0Ad.597112$nl.395019@pd7tw3no...
    > Ken wrote:
    >
    > > "measekite" <> wrote in message news:xWXzd.3044$...
    > >
    > >>Canon IP4000 is the clear winner. PC Mag editors choice. And it is the
    > >>best value.

    > > Since I bought the Canon PIXMA iP6000D last week I will have to disagree with you and my
    > > claim is that the Canon PIXMA iP6000D is vastly superior to the Canon IP4000 and any other
    > > printer on the market today.

    > I don't know if others (HP, Epson, et al) are doing this yet (I would
    > assume not because they never seem to advertise it), but Canon's
    > ThinkTank system has a tremendous advantage in TCO, by allowing you to
    > replace individual color tanks as each runs low, instead of having to
    > replace one cartridge with all the colors when just one color runs low.
    > In a 6- or 8-color system, this can add up significantly.

    That was a major consideration when I purchased the Canon. I read a review
    on the i900d at - http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/i900d.html
    where he shows a cost analysis based on printing 100 4x6 photos. Works out
    to about $0.25 per photo in ink costs. Add an additional $0.18 ea. for bulk
    packs of Canon 4x6 photo paper and it is still a bit pricey compared to the
    costs at someplace like Wal-Mart but the convince factor offsets the extra
    costs as far as I am concerned.
    Ken, Dec 28, 2004
  13. I too am shopping around for an economical but good color printer to
    replace my H-P in the future. I like the idea of replacing of individual
    print cartridges that the Canon offers and the relatively low prices of
    the printers themselves. My only reservation is the print head life and
    cost of replacing it. I have not been able to find either.

    Ken Miller

    Kenneth Miller, Dec 28, 2004
  14. Lars Bonnesen

    Ken Guest

    "Kenneth Miller" <> wrote in message news:%H3Ad.1175628$...
    > I too am shopping around for an economical but good color printer to
    > replace my H-P in the future. I like the idea of replacing of individual
    > print cartridges that the Canon offers and the relatively low prices of
    > the printers themselves. My only reservation is the print head life and
    > cost of replacing it. I have not been able to find either.

    Somewhere in my internet travels I read where a replacement head cost around $45 US
    but don't quote me on it. Don't recall exactly where I saw it but it may have been a
    consumer review warning of not using non-Canon replacement ink cartridges and the
    price you might have to pay to replace the head if it clogs.
    Ken, Dec 28, 2004
  15. Lars Bonnesen

    Tim Guest

    I own a 6 color Canon s820. It is cheaper to replace each color. However
    when you have to replace all six colors at the same time, its VERY expensive
    at $12 a cartridge, plus tax.

    Personally there is very little difference between a photo printed with 6
    colors and the newer 4 color printers.

    I've decided for myself that I'm no longer going to buy printers over $150,
    as it isn't worth it. They all break at some point (clogged heads etc). And
    then your out all that money. The last printer I paid $300 for, it did last
    2 years, but the print head died and is just too expensive to replace.

    The Canon printers that use the BCI-6 ink tanks in my opinion are the best
    bargains. You don't need the latest and greatest, they are overpriced.
    Canons cartridges don't use chips like the Epsons do, and are clear so you
    can see how much ink is actually left, and if you use refills, you can see
    to fill them much easier since they are clear.

    Tim, Dec 28, 2004
  16. Lars Bonnesen

    Tim Guest

    "Ken" <> wrote in message

    > "Kenneth Miller" <> wrote in message
    >> I too am shopping around for an economical but good color printer to
    >> replace my H-P in the future. I like the idea of replacing of individual
    >> print cartridges that the Canon offers and the relatively low prices of
    >> the printers themselves. My only reservation is the print head life and
    >> cost of replacing it. I have not been able to find either.

    > Somewhere in my internet travels I read where a replacement head cost
    > around $45 US
    > but don't quote me on it. Don't recall exactly where I saw it but it may
    > have been a
    > consumer review warning of not using non-Canon replacement ink cartridges
    > and the
    > price you might have to pay to replace the head if it clogs.

    The replacement head for my Canon s820 still sells around $75. Enough that
    you can buy a brand new printer that comes with ink.
    Tim, Dec 28, 2004
  17. Lars Bonnesen

    paul Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > I've decided for myself that I'm no longer going to buy printers over $150,
    > as it isn't worth it. They all break at some point (clogged heads etc). And
    > then your out all that money. The last printer I paid $300 for, it did last
    > 2 years, but the print head died and is just too expensive to replace.
    >
    > The Canon printers that use the BCI-6 ink tanks in my opinion are the best
    > bargains. You don't need the latest and greatest, they are overpriced.
    > Canons cartridges don't use chips like the Epsons do, and are clear so you
    > can see how much ink is actually left, and if you use refills, you can see
    > to fill them much easier since they are clear.

    Our little ancient Cannon bubblejet200 (b&W) still prints just fine
    never a hitch for probably 10 years I'm not sure.
    paul, Dec 28, 2004
  18. Lars Bonnesen

    Ken Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Our little ancient Cannon bubblejet200 (b&W) still prints just fine
    > never a hitch for probably 10 years I'm not sure.

    We have one of those hooked up to a piece of test equipment at work. It prints about
    10 pages a day, 360 days a year for probably the last 10 years of so. Darn thing just
    won't die. In fact, we have replaced the $25k test equipment it is attached to twice
    in that time.
    Ken, Dec 28, 2004
  19. Matt Ion wrote:
    []
    > I don't know if others (HP, Epson, et al) are doing this yet (I would
    > assume not because they never seem to advertise it), but Canon's
    > ThinkTank system has a tremendous advantage in TCO, by allowing you to
    > replace individual color tanks as each runs low, instead of having to
    > replace one cartridge with all the colors when just one color runs
    > low. In a 6- or 8-color system, this can add up significantly.

    Yes, that is the case in the Epson R200 and R300, and most likely other
    printers as well. You can replace individual colours.

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 28, 2004
  20. "Lars Bonnesen" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking for a printer, that can be used to do hard copies of digital
    >photos.

    I now have narrowed my search to:

    Epson R300
    or
    Canon PIXMA iP5000

    The Epson uses does 3 pico (5760x1440 dpi), the Canon does 1 pico (9600x2400
    dpi). Does this automatically imply that Canon does best photoprint? I don't
    care about text mode prints, I have a printer for this purpose.

    Does Epson use seperate ink-cartridge and printing heads?

    Speed isn't an issue.

    What is most costeffective when looking af ink-usage?

    The Canon is about 50% more expensive to bye than the Epson.

    I like that both of them are able to print on CD's.

    I don't need RAM-reader, allthough it is nice to have.

    Should I go for Epson or Canon?

    Regards, Lars.
    Lars Bonnesen, Dec 28, 2004