    Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other modem use,
    on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory please?

    Thanks!
    Simon Finnigan, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Thus spaketh Simon Finnigan:
    > Hi all,
    > I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
    > It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this
    > message of course :)
    >
    > Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
    > modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
    > please?
    >
    > Thanks!

    More than likely be G711a

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 9, 2006

  3. {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh Simon Finnigan:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
    >> It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this
    >> message of course :)
    >>
    >> Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
    >> modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
    >> please?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > More than likely be G711a

    Cheers. it came with G711u as standard, just changed to a. Will see if it
    makes a difference to call quality for me now.
    Simon Finnigan, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Simon Finnigan

    Graham Guest

    "Simon Finnigan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
    > It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this message of
    > course :)
    >
    > Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other modem
    > use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory please?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Has anyone succeeded in getting a Sky box to communicate via VoIP?
    My tests have all been failures.

    --
    Graham
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Aug 10, 2006
  5. Simon Finnigan

    Tim Guest

    Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > Cheers. it came with G711u as standard, just changed to a. Will see if it
    > makes a difference to call quality for me now.

    You also need to

    turn off echo cancellation
    Set `Jitter Buffer Adjustment` to disable

    I'd also be tempted to set `Use Pref Codec Only` to yes - just to
    makesure your service provider doesn't try to setup a call using another
    codec.

    'Network Jitter Level' set to high (or higher) may help too.

    On a sipura device, use a 3.xx firmware. Infact, I don't think those
    settings exist in 2.xx

    I've not used a sky box, but I have in the past had our PDQ machine
    running with a gradwell account.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 11, 2006
  6. Tim wrote:

    > I've not used a sky box, but I have in the past had our PDQ machine
    > running with a gradwell account.
    >
    > Tim

    Coo. Which PDQ?

    I had a brief try with one (failed miserably) but I thought it was worth
    a shot when I read the modem specs.
    Thomas Kenyon, Aug 11, 2006
  7. Simon Finnigan

    Tim Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > Coo. Which PDQ?

    hypercom something.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 11, 2006
  8. Tim wrote:
    > Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >> Coo. Which PDQ?

    > hypercom something.
    >
    > Tim

    Probably the same type, I'll have another go.
    Thomas Kenyon, Aug 11, 2006
  9. Graham wrote:
    > "Simon Finnigan" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
    >> It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this
    >> message of course :)
    >>
    >> Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
    >> modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
    >> please? Thanks!

    > Has anyone succeeded in getting a Sky box to communicate via VoIP?
    > My tests have all been failures.

    So far I`ve had no joy. It dials out, and I can hear the two systems trying
    to sunchronise. They don`t seem to get off to a good start. `ll keep
    playing with settings, maybe even dig out a modem :)
    Simon Finnigan, Aug 11, 2006
  10. Simon Finnigan

    Jono Guest

    on 11/08/2006, Simon Finnigan supposed :
    > Graham wrote:
    >> "Simon Finnigan" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
    >>> It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this
    >>> message of course :)
    >>>
    >>> Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
    >>> modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
    >>> please? Thanks!

    >> Has anyone succeeded in getting a Sky box to communicate via VoIP?
    >> My tests have all been failures.

    > So far I`ve had no joy. It dials out, and I can hear the two systems trying
    > to sunchronise. They don`t seem to get off to a good start. `ll keep
    > playing with settings, maybe even dig out a modem :)

    Which VoIP service provider are you using - not all are equal!
    Jono, Aug 11, 2006
  11. Jono wrote:
    > on 11/08/2006, Simon Finnigan supposed :
    >> Graham wrote:
    >>> "Simon Finnigan" <> wrote in message

    >>> Has anyone succeeded in getting a Sky box to communicate via VoIP?
    >>> My tests have all been failures.

    >> So far I`ve had no joy. It dials out, and I can hear the two
    >> systems trying to sunchronise. They don`t seem to get off to a good
    >> start. `ll keep playing with settings, maybe even dig out a modem
    >> :)

    > Which VoIP service provider are you using - not all are equal!

    Currently trying it on voip.co.uk
    Simon Finnigan, Aug 11, 2006
  12. Simon Finnigan

    Jono Guest

    Simon Finnigan brought next idea :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> on 11/08/2006, Simon Finnigan supposed :

    >>> So far I`ve had no joy. It dials out, and I can hear the two
    >>> systems trying to sunchronise. They don`t seem to get off to a good
    >>> start. `ll keep playing with settings, maybe even dig out a modem
    >>> :)

    >> Which VoIP service provider are you using - not all are equal!

    > Currently trying it on voip.co.uk

    Won't work. I've certainly never got faxing to work on voip.co.uk.

    I've had great success using Sipgate for faxing.
    Jono, Aug 11, 2006
  13. Jono wrote:
    > Simon Finnigan brought next idea :
    >> Jono wrote:
    >>> on 11/08/2006, Simon Finnigan supposed :

    >>> Which VoIP service provider are you using - not all are equal!

    >> Currently trying it on voip.co.uk

    > Won't work. I've certainly never got faxing to work on voip.co.uk.
    >
    > I've had great success using Sipgate for faxing.

    You managed to take that faxing success over to using a modem on sipgate?
    Simon Finnigan, Aug 12, 2006
  14. Simon Finnigan

    Jono Guest

    Simon Finnigan explained :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Simon Finnigan brought next idea :

    >>> Currently trying it on voip.co.uk

    >> Won't work. I've certainly never got faxing to work on voip.co.uk.
    >>
    >> I've had great success using Sipgate for faxing.

    > You managed to take that faxing success over to using a modem on sipgate?

    er, yes - a fax modem.
    Jono, Aug 12, 2006
  15. Jono wrote:
    > Simon Finnigan explained :
    >> Jono wrote:
    >>> Simon Finnigan brought next idea :

    >>> Won't work. I've certainly never got faxing to work on voip.co.uk.
    >>>
    >>> I've had great success using Sipgate for faxing.

    >> You managed to take that faxing success over to using a modem on
    >> sipgate?

    > er, yes - a fax modem.

    I mean have you had a true modem connection runnign over sipgate, as in the
    modem inside a Sky box? :)
    Simon Finnigan, Aug 12, 2006
  16. Jono wrote:
    > Simon Finnigan brought next idea :
    >>
    >> Currently trying it on voip.co.uk

    > Won't work. I've certainly never got faxing to work on voip.co.uk.
    >
    > I've had great success using Sipgate for faxing.

    Weird, worked for me. Though I must admit sipgate was more reliable.
    Thomas Kenyon, Aug 12, 2006
  17. Simon Finnigan

    Jono Guest

    on 12/08/2006, Simon Finnigan supposed :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Simon Finnigan explained :

    >>> You managed to take that faxing success over to using a modem on
    >>> sipgate?

    >> er, yes - a fax modem.

    > I mean have you had a true modem connection runnign over sipgate, as in the
    > modem inside a Sky box? :)

    No but I will try it out for you this weekend.
    Jono, Aug 12, 2006
  18. Simon Finnigan

    Graham Guest

    >>> You managed to take that faxing success over to using a modem on
    >>> sipgate?

    >> er, yes - a fax modem.

    > I mean have you had a true modem connection runnign over sipgate, as in
    > the modem inside a Sky box? :)

    The ability to fax via VoIP would not necessarily mean that a faster
    protocol would work.
    G3 faxes usually negotiate down to as low as 9,600bbs, (the initial
    handshake is always 300bbs)

    AFAIK Sky STB's operate at 33.6kbbs and don't negotiate lower speeds.

    --

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Aug 12, 2006
  19. Simon Finnigan

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > The ability to fax via VoIP would not necessarily mean
    > that a faster protocol would work.
    > G3 faxes usually negotiate down to as low as 9,600bbs,
    > (the initial handshake is always 300bbs)
    >
    > AFAIK Sky STB's operate at 33.6kbbs and don't negotiate
    > lower speeds.

    Ah, so it's Sky's fault then.

    Personally I wouldn't give Murdoch the satisfaction of having my money.
    Nor would I entertain any system that insists I connect it to a phone
    line.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 12, 2006
  20. Simon Finnigan

    Graham Guest

    > Ah, so it's Sky's fault then.
    >
    > Personally I wouldn't give Murdoch the satisfaction of having my money.
    > Nor would I entertain any system that insists I connect it to a phone
    > line.

    You may well already know this, but notwithstanding their *insistence*
    they only ever *enforce* that policy if you have a "multiroom" subscription.

    I have wondered if Sky actively knobble VoIP by somehow only allowing a
    small amount of latency.

    BTW I have never subscribed myself. I do have a box though, quite a lot
    worth viewing on FTA these days.

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%