    allow optimized VOIP services

    What would you suggest?

    Bart

    Bart Fisher, Nov 17, 2006

  2. Bart Fisher

    stephen Guest

    "Bart Fisher" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a 1605 now, but it seems to bottleneck a bit during VOIP - I'd
    > like to find something on Ebay that would work for SMB install and
    > allow optimized VOIP services

    1. depends on how many voice lines, types etc.

    basic voice on a small cisco has a 2 port FXS, E+M or FXO daughtcard -
    either on the router itself for some models, or for a carrier module that
    has DSPs to do voice processing.

    there are several country varients for the earlier versions. - so lots of
    choices...

    (as well as ISDN BRI and various PRI interfaces - be careful you get voice
    rather than packet based interface flavours for ISDN).

    you can get some idea of the model numbers here:
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routermodxref.pdf
    bigger router slots etc:
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/voicedensity.pdf

    2. ask in the comp.dcom.sys.cisco group.

    > What would you suggest?

    you might find a 1750 / 1760 - but be aware that the DSPs, feature in IOS
    and a 2 port analog interface may be worth more than the router.....

    26xx / 37xx / 37xx would need a network module and voice cards in that AFAIR

    FWIW you are supposed to get a new licence for a 2nd hand cisco for the IOS.

    it may well be cheaper to keep the router and get an ATA (analog telephone
    adaptor) - the popular ones get mentioned here frequently.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Nov 17, 2006