Best Cheap ATA (and / or ATA comparison come listing website - with price[s]!)

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by News Reader, Nov 26, 2006.

  1. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Hi,

    Can anyone advise what might be the best cheap ATA. The following is a
    preference list in (loose) order of preference (nothing more than the first
    two preferences is necessary - the others would are bonuses):

    - support multiple accounts (support multiple SIP provider accounts)
    - good, secure, reliable, configurable (modern / user-friendly with
    advanced functionality) user interface, system and platform
    - support PSTN connection ( / dial-through to the plugged in PSTN)
    - support more than 1 phone connection (e.g. two separate VoIP lines)
    - support more than 1 PSTN connection

    - with or without ADSL modem and / or router or ADSL router

    Think that is most of the main things...

    I would be just as (possibly more interested) in units that are combined
    ADSL modem routers and ATAs / with [SIP] VoIP ports. If they are not "as
    good" / up to the job (unreasonable compromise on features, economically
    disadvantageous, etc.) then a standalone ATA would be better.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Nov 26, 2006

  2. News Reader

    Jono Guest

    News Reader presented the following explanation :
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone advise what might be the best cheap ATA. The following is a
    > preference list in (loose) order of preference (nothing more than the first
    > two preferences is necessary - the others would are bonuses):
    >
    > - support multiple accounts (support multiple SIP provider accounts)
    > - good, secure, reliable, configurable (modern / user-friendly with
    > advanced functionality) user interface, system and platform
    > - support PSTN connection ( / dial-through to the plugged in PSTN)
    > - support more than 1 phone connection (e.g. two separate VoIP lines)
    > - support more than 1 PSTN connection
    >
    > - with or without ADSL modem and / or router or ADSL router
    >
    > Think that is most of the main things...
    >
    > I would be just as (possibly more interested) in units that are combined
    > ADSL modem routers and ATAs / with [SIP] VoIP ports. If they are not "as
    > good" / up to the job (unreasonable compromise on features, economically
    > disadvantageous, etc.) then a standalone ATA would be better.

    I know you're from the other side of the pond........could you /try/ to
    use words instead of all the extra punctuation? It's like reading
    algebra!

    First two points would be covered by an SPA1001, if you consider 2
    accounts to be multiple.

    SPA3101 or Fritz!Box for the third.

    Fritz!Box for fourth with third catered for too.

    Jono, Nov 26, 2006

  3. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > News Reader presented the following explanation :
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Can anyone advise what might be the best cheap ATA. The following is a
    > > preference list in (loose) order of preference (nothing more than the

    first
    > > two preferences is necessary - the others would are bonuses):
    > >
    > > - support multiple accounts (support multiple SIP provider accounts)
    > > - good, secure, reliable, configurable (modern / user-friendly with
    > > advanced functionality) user interface, system and platform
    > > - support PSTN connection ( / dial-through to the plugged in PSTN)
    > > - support more than 1 phone connection (e.g. two separate VoIP lines)
    > > - support more than 1 PSTN connection
    > >
    > > - with or without ADSL modem and / or router or ADSL router
    > >
    > > Think that is most of the main things...
    > >
    > > I would be just as (possibly more interested) in units that are combined
    > > ADSL modem routers and ATAs / with [SIP] VoIP ports. If they are not "as
    > > good" / up to the job (unreasonable compromise on features, economically
    > > disadvantageous, etc.) then a standalone ATA would be better.
    > >

    > I know you're from the other side of the pond........could you /try/ to
    > use words instead of all the extra punctuation? It's like reading
    > algebra!
    >
    > First two points would be covered by an SPA1001, if you consider 2
    > accounts to be multiple.
    >
    > SPA3101 or Fritz!Box for the third.
    >
    > Fritz!Box for fourth with third catered for too.

    Ok Jono.

    Many thanks. I will review the candidates. Could you remind me of the main
    retailer sites for this hardware (probably here in the UK)?

    I do apologise for the excess punctuation... I think it is probably, in part
    at least, laziness come shorthand and possibly a combination of that with
    indecision!

    Thanks once again and best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Nov 26, 2006
  4. News Reader

    Jono Guest

    News Reader explained on 26/11/2006 :

    > Ok Jono.
    >
    > Many thanks. I will review the candidates. Could you remind me of the main
    > retailer sites for this hardware (probably here in the UK)?

    Sipgate sell the Fritz!Box range.

    Broadbandstuff.co.uk
    <http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=740&osCsid=9ca28b88f89bda67d8f2f3f366f520ff>
    sell a very reasonably priced SPA1001

    They also sell Fritz!Boxen
    <http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keyword=fritz&osCsid=9ca28b88f89bda67d8f2f3f366f520ff>

    > I do apologise for the excess punctuation... I think it is probably, in part
    > at least, laziness come shorthand and possibly a combination of that with
    > indecision!

    And I thought it was an Americanism....as in w/ & w/o for with &
    without. ;-)

    > Thanks once again and best wishes,

    For technical papers of Sipura ATAs, have a look at
    <http://www.provu.co.uk/support.html>. Provu have a good product range
    too, however, not the cheapest around.

    Jono, Nov 26, 2006
  5. News Reader

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:26:51 -0000, "News Reader" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> News Reader presented the following explanation :
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone advise what might be the best cheap ATA. The following is a
    >> > preference list in (loose) order of preference (nothing more than the

    >first
    >> > two preferences is necessary - the others would are bonuses):
    >> >
    >> > - support multiple accounts (support multiple SIP provider accounts)
    >> > - good, secure, reliable, configurable (modern / user-friendly with
    >> > advanced functionality) user interface, system and platform
    >> > - support PSTN connection ( / dial-through to the plugged in PSTN)
    >> > - support more than 1 phone connection (e.g. two separate VoIP lines)
    >> > - support more than 1 PSTN connection
    >> >
    >> > - with or without ADSL modem and / or router or ADSL router
    >> >
    >> > Think that is most of the main things...
    >> >
    >> > I would be just as (possibly more interested) in units that are combined
    >> > ADSL modem routers and ATAs / with [SIP] VoIP ports. If they are not "as
    >> > good" / up to the job (unreasonable compromise on features, economically
    >> > disadvantageous, etc.) then a standalone ATA would be better.
    >> >

    >> I know you're from the other side of the pond........could you /try/ to
    >> use words instead of all the extra punctuation? It's like reading
    >> algebra!
    >>
    >> First two points would be covered by an SPA1001, if you consider 2
    >> accounts to be multiple.
    >>
    >> SPA3101 or Fritz!Box for the third.
    >>
    >> Fritz!Box for fourth with third catered for too.
    >>

    >Ok Jono.
    >
    >Many thanks. I will review the candidates. Could you remind me of the main
    >retailer sites for this hardware (probably here in the UK)?

    www.broadbandstuff.co.uk
    www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk

    Their prices are good generally, in fact not far off US prices now for
    some Linksys/Sipura products.

    You can also Froogle for other vendors but I doubt if you'll beat them
    in the UK.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 26, 2006
  6. News Reader

    Martin² Guest

    Combined ADSL/router/VoIP boxes are the best option,
    they include QoS, port forwarding and good voice quality.
    Of course you are buying lot more then just ATA, so the cost is higher.
    Apart from the already mentioned FritzBox! have look at Draytek 2700V ,
    2800V
    and Zyxel2602HW/L.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Nov 27, 2006
  7. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:26:51 -0000, "News Reader" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Jono" <> wrote in message
    > >> News Reader presented the following explanation :

    > >first

    lines)

    combined

    "as

    economically

    > >> I know you're from the other side of the pond........could you /try/ to
    > >> use words instead of all the extra punctuation? It's like reading
    > >> algebra!
    > >>
    > >> First two points would be covered by an SPA1001, if you consider 2
    > >> accounts to be multiple.
    > >>
    > >> SPA3101 or Fritz!Box for the third.
    > >>
    > >> Fritz!Box for fourth with third catered for too.
    > >>

    > >Ok Jono.
    > >
    > >Many thanks. I will review the candidates. Could you remind me of the

    main
    > >retailer sites for this hardware (probably here in the UK)?

    > www.broadbandstuff.co.uk
    > www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk
    >
    > Their prices are good generally, in fact not far off US prices now for
    > some Linksys/Sipura products.
    >
    > You can also Froogle for other vendors but I doubt if you'll beat them
    > in the UK.
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Great. Thanks very much.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Nov 27, 2006
  8. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > Combined ADSL/router/VoIP boxes are the best option,
    > they include QoS, port forwarding and good voice quality.
    > Of course you are buying lot more then just ATA, so the cost is higher.
    > Apart from the already mentioned FritzBox! have look at Draytek 2700V ,
    > 2800V
    > and Zyxel2602HW/L.
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Hi,

    Thanks - I will do.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    P.s. Quite or somewhat amazingly, VoipBuster of all people and places seem
    to presently have a quite amazing section on hardware.... well worth a look
    I would suggest.. http://www.voipbuster.com/en/hardware.html Bye for now.

    News Reader, Nov 27, 2006
  9. News Reader

    Tim Guest

    Re: Best Cheap ATA (and / or ATA comparison come listing website- with price!)

    Jono wrote:
    > For technical papers of Sipura ATAs, have a look at
    > <http://www.provu.co.uk/support.html>. Provu have a good product range
    > too, however, not the cheapest around.

    Because ProVu are supplying lots of other people, and so have to keep
    their retail prices quite high.

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 27, 2006
  10. News Reader

    Jono Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Jono wrote:
    >> For technical papers of Sipura ATAs, have a look at
    >> <http://www.provu.co.uk/support.html>. Provu have a good product range
    >> too, however, not the cheapest around.

    > Because ProVu are supplying lots of other people, and so have to keep
    > their retail prices quite high.
    >
    > Tim

    Hmm. Tim from Provu?

    Jono, Nov 27, 2006
  11. News Reader

    Jono wrote:

    > Hmm. Tim from Provu?

    yes.

    Tim from ProVu.

    (I admit it)

    Tim, Nov 27, 2006
  12. News Reader

    Jono Guest

    Tim explained :
    > Jono wrote:
    >>
    >> Hmm. Tim from Provu?

    > yes.
    >
    > Tim from ProVu.
    >
    > (I admit it)

    Hello Tim.

    How about a uk.telecom.voip discount, then?

    Jono, Nov 27, 2006
  13. News Reader

    Mike Sun Guest

    As "cheap" was mentioned, consider the chinese ATAs which are starting to
    appear e.g. www.tigernetcom.com

    These sell on ebay e.g. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DIGIDAVE-BROADBAND-STORE

    I bought 2 of these at around £10 each (auction style) and they perform well
    even if they do not meet all the requested requirements.

    The Gateway 102 seem very similar to the Grandstream HandyTone-448 when
    comaring the user manuals of the units.

    Cheers from Mike

    Mike Sun, Nov 27, 2006
  14. News Reader

    Bargepole Guest

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:49:41 GMT, Mike Sun wrote:

    >These sell on ebay ...

    I wouldn't touch them ...

    Bargepole, Nov 28, 2006
  15. News Reader

    Paul Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Tim explained :
    >> Jono wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hmm. Tim from Provu?

    >> yes.
    >>
    >> Tim from ProVu.
    >>
    >> (I admit it)

    > Hello Tim.
    >
    > How about a uk.telecom.voip discount, then?

    Well, if you use the online order form:

    https://secure.provu.co.uk/order/index.pl

    Then you get free UK delivery and free RJ-11 adaptors as necessary, ones
    with ring capacitors.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul, Nov 28, 2006
  16. News Reader

    Mike Sun Guest

    "Bargepole" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? Þ @ Þ ?="> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:49:41 GMT, Mike Sun wrote:
    >
    >>These sell on ebay ...

    > I wouldn't touch them ...

    erm - please elaborate?

    Mike Sun, Nov 28, 2006
  17. News Reader

    Jono Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Tim explained :

    >>> yes.
    >>>
    >>> Tim from ProVu.
    >>>
    >>> (I admit it)

    >> Hello Tim.
    >>
    >> How about a uk.telecom.voip discount, then?
    >>

    > Well, if you use the online order form:
    >
    > https://secure.provu.co.uk/order/index.pl
    >
    > Then you get free UK delivery and free RJ-11 adaptors as necessary, ones
    > with ring capacitors.

    I'd normally collect, anyway........anything else enticing? ;-)

    Jono, Nov 28, 2006
  18. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    "Mike Sun" <> wrote in message
    > "Bargepole" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? Þ @ Þ ?="> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:49:41 GMT, Mike Sun wrote:
    > >
    > >>These sell on ebay ...

    > > I wouldn't touch them ...

    > erm - please elaborate?

    Hi,

    I happened across these scanning eBay recently as well.

    Summarily, they seem remarkably good - on their own merits - as well as
    being satisfyingly cheap.

    Thanks for the input.

    I think one of the eBay retailers links to
    http://support.digidave.co.uk/index.php?_a=downloads&_m=get&_i=64 which is a
    usermanual and the underlying site provides some insight (as well as retail
    comparison prices - and quite clearly one can get quite a discount by buying
    from them through eBay as opposed to directly).

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    .... I may well indeed go for one of these... or perhaps a "subsidised" MG3
    .... which it appears may not actually be "so" locked down...

    News Reader, Nov 28, 2006
  19. News Reader

    Bob_Cat Guest

    I recently bought a Tigernet "Gateway 102" from Digidave and I have to
    say I am really impressed. As a no-frills ATA with lifeline it is
    excellent. It doesn't have FXO (? out-bound) but it does have lifeline
    and you can select to bypass VoIP through dialing. It cost me about
    £30 and I love it, it can't select to use multiple SIP accounts, but
    it is unlocked. Its cheap and it works!

    Bob

    Bob_Cat, Nov 29, 2006