    - Harrison Ford's in Raiders, following some whip action.

    Any favorite reveals?

    JF

    JFR, Jun 14, 2004

  2. JFR

    Curtin/Dobbs Guest

    "JFR" <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca> wrote in message news:cakdk3$n46$...
    > The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
    > character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.
    >
    > Off the top of my head, some of my favorite reveals fronm my DVD
    > collection include:
    > - Orson Welles' appearance from behind a newspaper in Citizen Kane
    > - Harrison Ford's in Raiders, following some whip action.
    >
    > Any favorite reveals?
    >
    > JF

    Off the top of my head, a couple of Bogart's:

    _Casablanca_. CU: hand signing, "OK Rick," on gambling receipt. CU: finger
    taps chess piece. Pan to MCU of Bogart tugging on a cig and lookin' world
    weary...

    _Treasure of Sierra Madre_. Shot of large handbill on a wall announcing
    lottery winners. Cut to(or pan back to?) Bogart disgustedly tearing up his
    losing lottery ticket...(He'll wish that's the extent of the bad luck
    that'll befall him.)

    ....Curtin/Dobbs

    Curtin/Dobbs, Jun 14, 2004

  3. JFR

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
    > character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.

    It's a wide shot, but there's nearly nothing better than Darth Vader in "A
    New Hope." You KNOW that a badass just entered the room.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Jun 14, 2004
  4. JFR

    Mark W Guest

    > "What do I do now?", and a silhouetted William Shatner voice at the door
    > replies, "Hope, Lieutenant, that the Klingons don't take any prisoners..."
    > :)
    >
    > Derek Janssen (can you imagine a time when we were actually GLAD to see
    > Shatner's Kirk?)

    Oh yes, Shatner's Kirk. As opposed to.... all those other Kirks?

    Mark W, Jun 14, 2004
  5. > The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
    > character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.

    Not just his face exactly, nor is he the main character, but I don't think
    there has been a better onscreen introduction of a character than Omar
    Sharif's in "Lawrence of Arabia." Classic.

    On the other side of the coin, Robert Duvall's exit in "Apocalypse Now" is
    another favorite. After bombastically dominating the film for the past 20
    minutes or more, he literally walks off screen as if he were exiting a stage
    play, never to be seen again, with most of the film still left to go. The
    film gets very quiet when he leaves.

    Seminal Johnson, Jun 14, 2004
  6. JFR

    Giovanni Guest

    "JFR" <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca> schreef in bericht
    > The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
    > character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool

    way.

    > Off the top of my head, some of my favorite reveals fronm my DVD
    > collection include:
    > - Orson Welles' appearance from behind a newspaper in Citizen Kane
    > - Harrison Ford's in Raiders, following some whip action.
    >
    > Any favorite reveals?

    Henry Fonda in Once upon a time in the West.

    Giovanni, Jun 14, 2004
  7. Mike Jackson wrote:

    >>The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
    >>character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.

    > It's a wide shot, but there's nearly nothing better than Darth Vader in "A
    > New Hope." You KNOW that a badass just entered the room.

    Probably not in the same league (nothing could be :) )--
    But you *had* to have once suffered through Star Trek 1 and then been in
    the audience for "Wrath of Khan" on opening night to fully appreciate
    the scene where Kirstie Alley sees her ship about to be destroyed, says

    Derek Janssen, Jun 14, 2004
  8. JFR

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Derek Janssen (can you imagine a time when we were actually GLAD to see
    > Shatner's Kirk?)

    Every time a show from the original series was shown.

    Mark Jones, Jun 15, 2004
  9. JFR

    Matt Woodard Guest

    Orson Welles again in the Third Man.

    Matt Woodard, Jun 15, 2004
  10. JFR

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:44:19 -0400, JFR <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca> wrote:

    >The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
    >character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.
    >
    >Off the top of my head, some of my favorite reveals fronm my DVD
    >collection include:
    >- Orson Welles' appearance from behind a newspaper in Citizen Kane
    >- Harrison Ford's in Raiders, following some whip action.
    >
    >Any favorite reveals?

    The same moment in Raiders, and Darth Vader's appearance in Star Wars.
    He walks through the smoke and surveys the carnage so cooly, so
    approvingly - it sets his character right from the start.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 15, 2004
  11. Tom Cruise in "Days of Thunder" -- *psyche!!*

    Stroke of Eight, Jun 15, 2004
  12. Seminal Johnson wrote:
    > ...Robert Duvall's exit in "Apocalypse Now" is another favorite. After
    > bombastically dominating the film for the past 20 minutes or more, he
    > literally walks off screen as if he were exiting a stage play, never to
    > be seen again, with most of the film still left to go. The film gets
    > very quiet when he leaves.

    I agree completely. The knowledge that Duvall's part doesn't end there in
    the longer (_Redux_) cut of the film is one of the reasons I've never been
    able to bring myself to watch that cut: why spoil such a perfect exit?

    doug

    --
    "But her sense of taste is such that she'll distinguish with her tongue
    The subtleties a spectrograph would miss..."

    Douglas Bailey, Jun 15, 2004
  13. JFR

    Chris Paul Guest

    Two initial glimpses of James Bond:

    Sean Connery: Smoking and gambling in DR.NO.

    Timothy Dalton: On the Rock of Gibraltar in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS.

    Chris P.

    Chris Paul, Jun 15, 2004
  14. Orson Welles in _The Third Man_.

    Woody Allen in _Sleeper_.

    The narrator (whose face we don't see until the end) in _Attack of
    the Mushroom People_.

    -----
    Richard Schultz
    -----
    And when I found the door was shut,
    I tried to turn the handle, but --

    Richard Schultz, Jun 15, 2004
  15. Richard Schultz wrote:
    > Orson Welles in _The Third Man_.
    >
    > Woody Allen in _Sleeper_.

    Oo, forgot about those two-- :)

    Guess I should throw in Kenneth Branagh in "Henry V".

    Derek Janssen (and Olivier, too, but no comparison)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 15, 2004
  16. "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > Seminal Johnson wrote:
    > > ...Robert Duvall's exit in "Apocalypse Now" is another favorite. After
    > > bombastically dominating the film for the past 20 minutes or more, he
    > > literally walks off screen as if he were exiting a stage play, never to
    > > be seen again, with most of the film still left to go. The film gets
    > > very quiet when he leaves.

    > I agree completely. The knowledge that Duvall's part doesn't end there in
    > the longer (_Redux_) cut of the film is one of the reasons I've never been
    > able to bring myself to watch that cut: why spoil such a perfect exit?

    I have seen it and you are right, the effect is spoiled. Francis and Walter
    got it right the first time.

    Seminal Johnson, Jun 15, 2004
  17. JFR

    Dennis Kuhn Guest

    JFR <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca> wrote in message news:<cakdk3$n46$>...
    > The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
    > character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.
    >
    > Any favorite reveals?

    As dramatic reveals go, the first one that comes to mind is Michael
    Keaton's Batman in the first (Tim Burton) Batman movie. There were
    some nice, shadowy teases leading up to it that made it really fun.

    Dennis

    Dennis Kuhn, Jun 15, 2004