    What's the best digital camera (or top few) that I can get for about
    $200-$400 ? Was really looking around $200-$300 but could possibly stretch
    to $400. *Not a penny more.* Thanks

    John F, Oct 11, 2004

  2. John F

    Rick Guest

    "John F" <> wrote in message news:...
    > What's the best digital camera (or top few) that I can get for about
    > $200-$400 ? Was really looking around $200-$300 but could possibly stretch
    > to $400. *Not a penny more.* Thanks

    What's the best flavor of ice cream? ;-)

    Give us some details of what's important to you (e.g. camera
    size? movie mode? etc) and then we can offer some suggestions.

    Rick

    Rick, Oct 11, 2004

  3. > What's the best digital camera (or top few) that I can get for about
    > $200-$400 ? Was really looking around $200-$300 but could possibly stretch
    > to $400. *Not a penny more.* Thanks

    I'd heard someone mention they saw Olympus 4040s on eBay for around $100.
    That would be an absolute steal for that quality of camera. Even without a
    warranty (assuming the camera's in good shape now), since the repair cost
    runs a fixed amount of something like $200, so you couldn't lose too much on
    the deal.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

    Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles, Oct 11, 2004
  4. John F

    John F Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    news:... > What's the best flavor of ice
    cream? ;-)
    > Give us some details of what's important to you (e.g. camera
    > size? movie mode? etc) and then we can offer some suggestions.
    > Rick

    Really just looking for the most "camera" for least money in the available
    price range. But yes size is a factor, smaller is good. Looking for picture
    quality, ofcourse, and also decent manual options for exposure, etc would be
    nice.

    John F, Oct 11, 2004
  5. John F

    You know who Guest

    "John F" <> wrote in message
    > What's the best digital camera (or top few) that I can get for about
    > $200-$400 ? Was really looking around $200-$300 but could possibly stretch
    > to $400. *Not a penny more.* Thanks

    Mom seems happy with the Canon A95.

    You know who, Oct 11, 2004
  6. John F

    Rick Guest

    "John F" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > "John F" <> wrote in message

    > > > What's the best digital camera (or top few) that I can get for about
    > > > $200-$400 ? Was really looking around $200-$300 but could possibly

    > stretch
    > > > to $400. *Not a penny more.* Thanks

    > "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > news:... > What's the best flavor of ice
    > cream? ;-)
    > > Give us some details of what's important to you (e.g. camera
    > > size? movie mode? etc) and then we can offer some suggestions.
    > > Rick
    > >

    > Really just looking for the most "camera" for least money in the available
    > price range. But yes size is a factor, smaller is good. Looking for picture
    > quality, ofcourse, and also decent manual options for exposure, etc would be
    > nice.

    I'm a big fan of Canon's A-series cameras, e.g. the A75 and A85.
    I believe the S1 IS is also below $400 now, and has a much better
    zoom and movie mode, at the expense of some image quality (i.e.
    more purple fringing).

    Rick

    Rick, Oct 11, 2004
  7. John F

    Bill Crocker Guest

    If you look real hard, you should find a Canon S50, under $400.00.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 12, 2004
  8. John F

    Fred B. Guest

    Canon Powershot S1 IS

    Fred B., Oct 12, 2004
  9. John F

    Bob Williams Guest

    John F wrote:
    >>"John F" <> wrote in message

    >>>What's the best digital camera (or top few) that I can get for about
    >>>$200-$400 ? Was really looking around $200-$300 but could possibly

    > stretch
    >
    >>>to $400. *Not a penny more.* Thanks

    > "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > news:... > What's the best flavor of ice
    > cream? ;-)
    >
    >>Give us some details of what's important to you (e.g. camera
    >>size? movie mode? etc) and then we can offer some suggestions.
    >>Rick
    >>

    > Really just looking for the most "camera" for least money in the available
    > price range. But yes size is a factor, smaller is good. Looking for picture
    > quality, ofcourse, and also decent manual options for exposure, etc would be
    > nice.

    How about MP, Zoom Range, Macro Capability, Battery Type, Max.
    Aperture...etc.?
    If you are just starting out, you probably do not know what features are
    important to you. So you have to find out.
    The good news is that practically any camera in the $300 +/- 100 will
    please you. The digicam field is hyper competitive and you pretty much
    get what you pay for. But you don't want to buy features you don't
    need/want. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, Minolta, and Kodak are some of
    the more popular brands. Go to http://www.steves-digicams.com and look
    around. Look at the specs, sample pictures and read Steve's evaluation.
    Feel confident that even if you choose a major brand simply by picking
    names out of a hat, you won't get stung.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 12, 2004
  10. Canon Powershot G3. It's discontinued but if you can find it, that would be
    good.

    Or Nikon Coolpix 5400. I just got mine for $390 with 3 batteries, INCLUDING
    shipping. They used to be $700 or more, have come down in price. They're a
    very high grade camera. Same for the Powershot G3.

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Oct 12, 2004
  11. "John F" <> wrote in message
    > What's the best digital camera (or top few) that I can get for about
    > $200-$400 ? Was really looking around $200-$300 but could possibly stretch
    > to $400. *Not a penny more.* Thanks

    Someone said that Best Buy had the Fuji S7000 for around $350.

    Also look at the Canon A95.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 12, 2004
  12. John F

    Scott Guest

    Re: BEST DIGITAL CAMERA UNDER $400 - REVIEWS & RECOMMENDATIONS

    John,

    There's no best digital camera, but depending on your usage of the
    camera, you can find lists of cameras based on your usage -- for
    example, if you're a Traveler and will mostly be using it for
    vacation; or if you're an Advanced User and want a lot of manual
    controls, or Budget Buyer looking for the best deal, etc.

    You can find these various lists of recommended digital cameras, along
    with reviews by other customers at:

    http://www.Review-Center.com

    If you want a Point-and-Shoot digital camera that you can take along
    with you and that make all around great cameras, here are three
    excellent cameras...

    1) Canon PowerShot S410 4MP Digital Elph (about $370)
    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/catalog/product.php?ASIN=B0001G6U5M
    If you want a small camera that you can easily slip in your pocket,
    this camera is great. It's a 4 megapixel camera so you can take pix
    that you can blow up pretty large when you print, plus it's a company
    camera that you can take with you everywhere.

    2) Olympus Stylus 410 4 MP Digital Camera (about $249 after $50 mail
    in rebate)
    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/catalog/product.php?ASIN=B0001DKQXC
    This camera is a great deal right now with the $50 mail in rebate
    (until Dec 31). Olympus makes great cameras. This one is small, takes
    excellent pix, has good 4 MP resolution, a sturdy metal case, and nice
    design. Some people aren't as satisfied with the indoor pix.

    3) Canon PowerShot A75 3.2MP Digital Camera (about $179)
    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/catalog/product.php?ASIN=B0001G6U4S

    For about $179 this 3.2 megapixel camera is a great deal. It's very
    easy to use, and takes fantastic pictures. The autofocus is the only
    slight complaint on this cam, and it's bigger than the digital elf --
    so if size is the most important consideration try the S410.

    I would suggest the PowerShot A75 as an all-around excellent buy, but
    there are a variety of Powershot cameras at different price levels,
    for example:

    - Canon PowerShot A70 (3.2 MP) about $199
    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/catalog/product.php?ASIN=B00008OE5G

    - Canon PowerShot A80 (4 MP) about $350
    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/catalog/product.php?ASIN=B0000C8VF9

    Hope this helps!

    Scott

    Scott, Oct 12, 2004
  13. John F

    Mark Johnson Guest

    wrote:

    >I'd heard someone mention they saw Olympus 4040s on eBay for around $100.
    >That would be an absolute steal for that quality of camera. Even without a

    I mentioned that. I thought I saw a bunch of Oly C4040s just the other
    day on ebay for 100-120. But the only ones I see under completed
    auctions, are a few in the mid-200s (not bad, actually a fair price,
    but nowhere near $100). So I don't know what I was looking at, then.
    Maybe someone listed a few, and then pulled the listings. I regret
    mentioning it.

    Mark Johnson, Oct 12, 2004
  14. John F

    Michael Guest

    "Mark Johnson" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'd heard someone mention they saw Olympus 4040s on eBay for around $100.
    > >That would be an absolute steal for that quality of camera. Even without a

    > I mentioned that. I thought I saw a bunch of Oly C4040s just the other
    > day on ebay for 100-120. But the only ones I see under completed
    > auctions, are a few in the mid-200s (not bad, actually a fair price,
    > but nowhere near $100). So I don't know what I was looking at, then.
    > Maybe someone listed a few, and then pulled the listings. I regret
    > mentioning it.

    You were probably looking at current (i.e. incompleted) auctions.
    I always make that mistake..

    Mike

    --
    I Love America -- That's Why I Hate Bush

    Michael, Oct 12, 2004
  15. John F

    You know who Guest

    > > "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I'd heard someone mention they saw Olympus 4040s on eBay for around

    $100.
    > > >That would be an absolute steal for that quality of camera. Even

    without a

    > > I mentioned that. I thought I saw a bunch of Oly C4040s just the other
    > > day on ebay for 100-120. But the only ones I see under completed
    > > auctions, are a few in the mid-200s (not bad, actually a fair price,
    > > but nowhere near $100). So I don't know what I was looking at, then.
    > > Maybe someone listed a few, and then pulled the listings. I regret
    > > mentioning it.

    > You were probably looking at current (i.e. incompleted) auctions.
    > I always make that mistake..

    Login and use the "Watch this item" so you can see what they sell for when
    you later login and use the "My eBay" feature.

    You know who, Oct 12, 2004