    disadvantage is no image stabilization which I would like. Can anyone
    recommend at least a good 8X camera with image stabilization under
    $400? Also, one that is not too big and bulky. Thanks for any help.

    Buck, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Buck

    cqdx Guest

    Looks like your looking for an FZ10, 12X optimal zoom with image
    stabilization and 4 magapixels. Comparing pictures from both the FZ10 and
    C765 the FZ10 did much better in comparison.
    http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic/?s=pgm

    You can also look at the FZ20, (an upgrade from the FZ10 with 5 megapixels)
    but it will run you a bit over $400. With an 8X zoom an image stabilization
    is almost a necessity unless you want to carry a tripod around. The FZ10 &
    FZ20 are also a little bigger than the C765 but not that terrible much.

    cqdx, Feb 19, 2005

  3. Buck

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    Buck <> wrote:
    > Hi, I'm looking for the best digital camera I can buy under $400, can
    > anyone recommend one? In the Nov 2004 issue of Consumer Reports the
    > Olympus C-765 seems to be one of the best. It's advantages are 10x
    > optical zoom. I only need a 4 megapixel camera, any more is not
    > necessary. I would like one with at least 8X optical zoom.

    The 770 (very slightly upmarket of the 765) was one of my final
    candidates when I chose a new camera last year. It was nice and compact,
    looked and felt good, was simple to use, gave good images, and had a
    pretty versatile lens, but the lack of IS was a problem given the amount
    of long-zoom or low-light photography I do.

    > couple of double AA's somewhere to keep taking pictures. The other
    > disadvantage is no image stabilization which I would like. Can anyone
    > recommend at least a good 8X camera with image stabilization under
    > $400? Also, one that is not too big and bulky. Thanks for any help.

    If you can't afford a Konica-Minolta A series or a Panasonic FZ-20 (I'm
    not sure what US prices are these days), have a look at the K-M Z-series or
    the Panasonic FZ-4 or FZ-5. Less versatile and flexible than their
    "big brothers"...

    Or, wait for Canon to replace the S1 IS... which is cheap, but only has
    3 megapixels.

    pete
    --
    "Send lawyers, guns and money...."

    Pete Fenelon, Feb 20, 2005
  4. Buck

    Buck Guest

    Thanks for your suggestions. I can't find the Panasonic FZ10 almost
    anywhere and the two places that carry it have it at $450. The
    Konica-Minolta Z3 looks good, it is 4 megapixels, has 12 optical zoom
    with image stabilization, and also accepts double AA's. The only bad
    thing is Consumer Reports rates the Konica Z2 with "Very Good" picture
    quality as opposed to "Excellent" with many of the other cameras, so
    it seems like it's a notch below the others. I don't know if this
    would also apply to the Z3.

    Buck, Feb 20, 2005
  5. Buck

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    Buck <> wrote:
    > Thanks for your suggestions. I can't find the Panasonic FZ10 almost
    > anywhere and the two places that carry it have it at $450.

    The FZ-10 is obsolete now, and has been replaced by the FZ-20. You'll
    only find old stock! Of course, an FZ-10 on Ebay would meet your needs
    perfectly - 4 megapixels, 35-420mm zoom, and lovely Leica glass.

    > The
    > Konica-Minolta Z3 looks good, it is 4 megapixels, has 12 optical zoom
    > with image stabilization, and also accepts double AA's. The only bad
    > thing is Consumer Reports rates the Konica Z2 with "Very Good" picture
    > quality as opposed to "Excellent" with many of the other cameras, so
    > it seems like it's a notch below the others. I don't know if this
    > would also apply to the Z3.

    (please don't top post)

    The K-M Z range isn't as good as the A range (there's no point in
    it being; K-M can get a premium for the increased quality and use Zs for
    point'n'shoot photographers or as a taster for the more expensive
    cameras) - or (IMHO) the Panasonic or Olympus cameras of comparable
    zoom. But they're about the cheapest way of getting long zoom and
    stabilisation...

    pete
    --
    "Send lawyers, guns and money...."

    Pete Fenelon, Feb 20, 2005
  6. Buck

    Buck Guest

    wrote:

    >If you can't afford a Konica-Minolta A series or a Panasonic FZ-20 (I'm
    >not sure what US prices are these days), have a look at the K-M Z-series or
    >the Panasonic FZ-4 or FZ-5. Less versatile and flexible than their
    >"big brothers"...

    By the way the FZ-4 and FZ-5 look good but they're no where to be
    found. Do you know how much they cost or any places that carry them?

    Buck, Feb 20, 2005
  7. Buck

    Roger Guest

    What about the Fuji FinePix s5100? It is 4M pixel and has 10X optical
    zoom. It does not have image stabilization though. B & H has them for
    $284. I also think you want to consider part of your price the cost of
    a large memory card. Or, if you are considering something that uses a
    custom battery, the cost of an extra battery. I was reading the reviews
    on the s5100 on Steves Digicams site. One thing I noted was that the
    flash seemed strong and illuminated up to 16 feet for indoor pics. I
    know my canon 330 powershot does not do to well indoors if your like
    over 9 feet or so away. I think I read the Canon S1-IS is a little weak
    on the indoor photos, but it does have image stabilization.

    Roger, Feb 20, 2005
  8. Buck

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    Roger <> wrote:
    > over 9 feet or so away. I think I read the Canon S1-IS is a little weak
    > on the indoor photos, but it does have image stabilization.

    But "only" 3 megapixels, so you're going to have to be careful if you
    want prints from it.

    pete
    --
    "Send lawyers, guns and money...."

    Pete Fenelon, Feb 20, 2005
  9. Buck

    cyclone Guest

    > By the way the FZ-4 and FZ-5 look good but they're no where to be
    > found. Do you know how much they cost or any places that carry them?

    Only just recently announced. Not sure of the street dates but you won't
    find one yet.

    Tony

    cyclone, Feb 21, 2005
  10. Buck

    Roger Guest

    I think 3M pixels is fine. I doubt many people ever print anything
    larger than 8"x10". I certainly wont given the price of ink and special
    paper. I find that most people don't have a clue about pixel sizes,
    aspect ratios, etc. Some people cant understand why a 640x480 picture
    printed as a 4"x6" picture from Walmart looks grainy/blocky or why a
    camera with the factory 16M card can only hold a few pictures at the
    largest size & quality. I feel they only reason you need over 3M is if
    you want to do some major cropping in an image.

    Roger, Feb 21, 2005