Best camera if Digital/cam have progressed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mike, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I have a Pentax Optio 330 for years now and am now in the market for a
    new camera. My fear is that I am too progressive and digital cameras
    have not progressed fast enough to keep up with me.

    This is what I would like on my wish list.

    -first and foremost, compactability. I don't want a huge looking SLR
    camera or one the size of a loaf of breat for what I want it to do. I
    have to be able to wear it around my neck and under a jumpsuit. No
    hand handle, must be sleek and compact.

    -FAST. It has to be fast. Why can't techonogy make a digital camera
    that can take 5 pictures/sec? I use it for high speed sports and I'm
    so sick ofwaiting to write to the freaking card. FAST FAST FAST !!!

    -max resolution 5 MP though I have found 3 MP is just fine. I don't
    make photo quality prints because I keep it all digital. There is no
    need for anything higher than 5 MP.

    -I prefer CF cards. I have them all over the place and all the
    equipment to support this type of media. I would prefer not to switch
    over to something stupid like the Sony memory stick.

    So is that too much to ask for? I think so. From what I have found,
    to have a small sleek camera that can take mega fast pictures is
    beyond anyones capabilites now. Please let me know if you know of
    anything that fits these requirements.

    mike, Oct 18, 2004

  2. mike

    Jim Guest

    <mike> wrote in message news:...
    > I have a Pentax Optio 330 for years now and am now in the market for a
    > new camera. My fear is that I am too progressive and digital cameras
    > have not progressed fast enough to keep up with me.
    >
    > This is what I would like on my wish list.
    >
    > -first and foremost, compactability. I don't want a huge looking SLR
    > camera or one the size of a loaf of breat for what I want it to do. I
    > have to be able to wear it around my neck and under a jumpsuit. No
    > hand handle, must be sleek and compact.
    >
    > -FAST. It has to be fast. Why can't techonogy make a digital camera
    > that can take 5 pictures/sec?

    There are some but they are all SLR cameras that cost lost of money. The
    small ones are targeted at a different market.
    Jim.

    Jim, Oct 18, 2004

  3. "Jim" <> wrote in news:dqTcd.7407$q%7.2067
    @newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

    >> -FAST. It has to be fast. Why can't techonogy make a digital camera
    >> that can take 5 pictures/sec?

    > There are some but they are all SLR cameras that cost lost of money. The
    > small ones are targeted at a different market.

    There are technical reasons also. Compact cameras use
    the sensor as a detector for auto focus. This is not optimal.
    Fast auto focus uses phase detection.

    It is the preview (plus cost of course) that is the reason
    for this choice. You could use fast auto focus that is not
    made through the lens. But then macro would not be possible.

    A fix focus camera should be fast though.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 18, 2004
  4. mike

    Big Bill Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:23:06 -0600, mike wrote:

    >I have a Pentax Optio 330 for years now and am now in the market for a
    >new camera. My fear is that I am too progressive and digital cameras
    >have not progressed fast enough to keep up with me.
    >
    >This is what I would like on my wish list.
    >
    >-first and foremost, compactability. I don't want a huge looking SLR
    >camera or one the size of a loaf of breat for what I want it to do. I
    >have to be able to wear it around my neck and under a jumpsuit. No
    >hand handle, must be sleek and compact.
    >
    >-FAST. It has to be fast. Why can't techonogy make a digital camera
    >that can take 5 pictures/sec? I use it for high speed sports and I'm
    >so sick ofwaiting to write to the freaking card. FAST FAST FAST !!!
    >
    >-max resolution 5 MP though I have found 3 MP is just fine. I don't
    >make photo quality prints because I keep it all digital. There is no
    >need for anything higher than 5 MP.
    >
    >-I prefer CF cards. I have them all over the place and all the
    >equipment to support this type of media. I would prefer not to switch
    >over to something stupid like the Sony memory stick.
    >

    >So is that too much to ask for? I think so. From what I have found,
    >to have a small sleek camera that can take mega fast pictures is
    >beyond anyones capabilites now. Please let me know if you know of
    >anything that fits these requirements.

    Personal opinion...
    I don't think its beyond the capabilities of the makers, I think its
    beyond the capabilities of the buyers...
    to be able to afford it.
    Five MP is the easy part; that's being done now.
    CF and sleekness don't go together well; a smaller form factor card is
    much more suited to a sleek camera.
    Speed is good, but it's not cheap; the computer side of things has to
    be able to keep up with 5 fps, obviously. Once you've added the cost
    of the speed, you *must* upgrade the optics. Buyers aren't going to
    accept the price of speed if the final result is merely mediocre. This
    adds more cost.
    By the time you have what you want, the cost is up in the DSLR range;
    might as well buy a DSLR, and get the advantage of a varied lens
    system.

    Note, I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying that you'll need to
    go some to convince the makers that what *you* want is also what
    enough others want to make it worth making.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Oct 19, 2004
  5. mike

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, mike says...

    >I have a Pentax Optio 330 for years now and am now in the market for a
    >new camera. My fear is that I am too progressive and digital cameras
    >have not progressed fast enough to keep up with me.
    >
    >This is what I would like on my wish list.
    >
    >-first and foremost, compactability. I don't want a huge looking SLR
    >camera or one the size of a loaf of breat for what I want it to do. I
    >have to be able to wear it around my neck and under a jumpsuit. No
    >hand handle, must be sleek and compact.
    >
    >-FAST. It has to be fast. Why can't techonogy make a digital camera
    >that can take 5 pictures/sec? I use it for high speed sports and I'm
    >so sick ofwaiting to write to the freaking card. FAST FAST FAST !!!
    >
    >-max resolution 5 MP though I have found 3 MP is just fine. I don't
    >make photo quality prints because I keep it all digital. There is no
    >need for anything higher than 5 MP.
    >
    >-I prefer CF cards. I have them all over the place and all the
    >equipment to support this type of media. I would prefer not to switch
    >over to something stupid like the Sony memory stick.
    >

    >So is that too much to ask for? I think so. From what I have found,
    >to have a small sleek camera that can take mega fast pictures is
    >beyond anyones capabilites now. Please let me know if you know of
    >anything that fits these requirements.

    Sounds like you need a Canon S-60 with a motor drive. By the way, what 35mm
    film camera do you use, that gives you these results based on stated criteria?

    Hunt

    Hunt, Oct 19, 2004
  6. mike

    mike Guest

    >Sounds like you need a Canon S-60 with a motor drive. By the way, what 35mm
    >film camera do you use, that gives you these results based on stated criteria?

    NONE. The 35mm went the way of the dinasaur. Technology far
    overshadowed the old chemical cameras and that is why the digital
    cameras own the general marketplace now.

    mike, Oct 19, 2004