    shots but very poor night ones. Budget would be upto $400.

    Any info would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Henry, Oct 2, 2007

  2. Henry

    Johnny Lava Guest

    "Henry" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to upgrade my digital camera. I want one that takes good
    > night shots. My current one is a Sony DSC70 4MP which takes great day
    > shots but very poor night ones. Budget would be upto $400.
    >
    > Any info would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    dSLR with a fast lens like a 50mm f 1.4.

    Somebody!
    Johnny Lava, Oct 2, 2007

  3. Henry

    Ali Guest

    What do you mean by night shots? What are you shooting at night?

    What is it you don't like about the night shots? Noise? Rabbit in the
    headlights? Motion blur?

    Ali, Oct 2, 2007
  4. Henry

    Henry Guest

    I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
    artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
    as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
    tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
    hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
    can adjust for lowlight.

    Thanks
    Henry, Oct 2, 2007
  5. Henry

    Ali Guest

    Sorry, not going to happen.

    As Johnny said, an SLR with a fast lens. Tripod won't help.

    Ali, Oct 2, 2007
  6. Henry

    Peter Irwin Guest

    Henry <> wrote:
    > I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
    > artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
    > as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
    > tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
    > hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
    > can adjust for lowlight.

    As far as I know, none of the compacts can do this
    as well as a film camera with an f/2 lens loaded
    with Tri-X. But all current digital SLRs with an
    f/2 or faster lens are better at it than a film
    camera with pushed Tri-X. (The Canon 5D is much
    better.)

    Get a DLSR if you can, though a film camera
    with fast film and a fast lens will still work ok.
    You could use an Olympus Stylus Epic (still $80
    at B&H) and Tmax 3200 film. (Make sure you turn
    off the flash.)

    Peter.
    Peter Irwin, Oct 2, 2007
  7. Henry

    Scott W Guest

    Henry wrote:
    > I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
    > artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
    > as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
    > tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
    > hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
    > can adjust for lowlight.
    >
    > Thanks

    You might want to look at the Fuji F40fd, I have one of these and it
    does far better then most point and shoots in low light. It is not as
    good as a DSLR but Costco has them for something like $230.

    Even a cheap DSLR with a good lens will blow it out of the water
    however. When I want good low light photos I use my Canon 350D and a
    28mm f/2.8 lens, not the best DLSR or lens for low light but way better
    then any P&S.

    Scott
    Scott W, Oct 2, 2007
  8. Henry

    Paul Furman Guest

    Henry wrote:

    > I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
    > artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
    > as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
    > tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
    > hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
    > can adjust for lowlight.

    Not slim but relatively small
    Used Nikon D50 $400 (Or Canon equivalent)
    Used 28mm f/2.8 lens $100

    If you can ask the people to hold still, a stabilized P&S should do OK
    but those aren't cheap or tiny.
    Paul Furman, Oct 2, 2007
  9. Henry

    Glen Darlton Guest

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:51:36 +0100, "Ali" <> wrote:

    >"Henry" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
    >> artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
    >> as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
    >> tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
    >> hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
    >> can adjust for lowlight.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >Sorry, not going to happen.
    >
    >As Johnny said, an SLR with a fast lens. Tripod won't help.

    Oh look, the uneducated and ignorant DSLR idiots are at it again. They do the
    DSLR proud, proving that only idiots buy them.

    Yes, it is going to happen and not with a DSLR. It may not be one of the ultra
    compact P&S cameras though.

    For normal photography look into the Fujifilm FinePix S8000 fd, Fujifilm Finepix
    F31fd, and many other of the Fuji line of cameras. They sport high ISO
    sensitivity and low noise, equivalent to most DSLRs but using smaller sensors.
    This allows you to use faster shutter speeds in lower light conditions to cut
    down on that motion blur.

    You might also look into any of the Canon P&S cameras that have the IS (image
    stabilization) in their name. You won't get as good low-light performance due to
    more noise but it allows you to hold your camera more steady. Many people
    finding they can easily use them for hand-held shots up to 1 second shutter
    speeds. But you have to be pretty steady for that or only use wider-angle zoom
    settings so the camera shake isn't amplified so much (the more you zoom-in the
    more it also magnifies any camera motion).

    If you want to really do "Night Shot" photography, then the Sony H9 is capable
    of taking images in total darkness using nothing more than infrared light,
    called its "Night Shot" mode. The only thing seen is a small, dim, brownish-red
    light that's being emitted by the camera's own built-in infrared LED
    illuminator. You can add accessory IR-LED floods for about $40 each to increase
    the range to 20-80 feet or more. Keep in mind that these Night Shot photos are
    true IR photography. It's also possible to use its IR photo capability in full
    daylight using the appropriate filters to reduce the level of IR to within range
    of the Night Shot's f-stop and shutter speed limits (a combo of an IR filter to
    block all visible light stacked with a Wratten-green to reduce IR intensity
    works perfect for all daylight situations). This also means that your "Night
    Shot" images are not in full-color. Sony tints the B&W image from this mode in a
    greenish color to emulate night-vision scopes, easily removed in post
    processing. Though if there is some ambient light available at night then the
    visible colors will be detected and recorded but not strongly (the IR light
    superseding the full spectrum) The Night-Shot mode also has a brother setting
    called the Night-Framing mode, this allows you to focus and compose your shot by
    seeing the scene in your viewfinder in TOTAL darkness (something that no DSLR on
    earth can do, ever) using just the IR light, then the flash is used to expose
    the scene normally. Yes, you can also shoot videos in total darkness using the
    H9's Night Shot mode.

    It's so refreshing to see these DSLR proponents prove to the world, every chance
    they get, that only uneducated, inexperienced, and ignorant dumbfucks buy DSLRs.
    But then who else but a total dumbfuck would buy one when today's P&S cameras
    for 1/3rd to 1/20th the price (don't forget those overpriced lenses that you
    *must* buy) and 1/4th the weight and size are every bit as good and in many ways
    even better than DSLRs.
    Glen Darlton, Oct 2, 2007
  10. Henry

    The Bobert Guest

    In article <>,
    Henry <> wrote:

    > I know a
    > tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
    > hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
    > can adjust for lowlight.
    >
    > Thanks

    Have you considered a monopod or perhaps a faster lens? 1/60 is about the
    slowest shutter that the user can effectively hold the camera steady. With
    1/30 you takes yer chances.
    --
    After four decimal places, who cares?

    Bob in Central California
    The Bobert, Oct 2, 2007
  11. Henry

    Guest Guest

    "Henry" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to upgrade my digital camera. I want one that takes good
    > night shots. My current one is a Sony DSC70 4MP which takes great day
    > shots but very poor night ones. Budget would be upto $400.
    >
    > Any info would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    A Sony H9 (or if you can still find one, a used Sony F717).
    Pure magic for low-light or even no-light shots.
    Guest, Oct 3, 2007
  12. Henry

    Toby Guest

    The best that presently exists is the Fuji f31fd, if you can still find it,
    in terms of shooting decent high ISO shots. The present model is the f50fd
    which is twice the megapix (12 to the 6 of the 31) but with more somewhat
    more noise at high ISOs.

    Tobh

    Toby, Oct 3, 2007
  13. Glen Darlton wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:51:36 +0100, "Ali" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Henry" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
    >>> artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
    >>> as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
    >>> tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
    >>> hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
    >>> can adjust for lowlight.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Sorry, not going to happen.
    >>
    >> As Johnny said, an SLR with a fast lens. Tripod won't help.

    > Oh look, the uneducated and ignorant DSLR idiots are at it again. They do the
    > DSLR proud, proving that only idiots buy them.

    Glen,
    Ignore the troll. Many others have given good advice.
    The key to low light performance in digital cameras is large
    pixels. DSLRs currently have larger pixels than P&S cameras.
    A low-end 6-megapixel DSLR generally has great low
    light performance and you can probably buy one used
    for a pretty low price. For more info, see:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter

    (And stand back, the foul-mouthed troll will launch another
    attack filed with lies and hate--ignore it.)

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 3, 2007
  14. On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:40:17 -0600, "Roger N. Clark (change username to
    rnclark)" <> wrote:

    >Glen Darlton wrote:
    >> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:51:36 +0100, "Ali" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Henry" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sorry, not going to happen.
    >>>
    >>> As Johnny said, an SLR with a fast lens. Tripod won't help.

    >> Oh look, the uneducated and ignorant DSLR idiots are at it again. They do the
    >> DSLR proud, proving that only idiots buy them.

    >Glen,
    >Ignore the troll. Many others have given good advice.
    >The key to low light performance in digital cameras is large
    >pixels. DSLRs currently have larger pixels than P&S cameras.
    >A low-end 6-megapixel DSLR generally has great low
    >light performance and you can probably buy one used
    >for a pretty low price. For more info, see:

    <SPAM LINK SNIPPED>

    What's the matter Roger? Not getting enough suckers to visit your misinformation
    web-site and you're losing all that money trying to sell your tourist quality
    photography? Photography taken with an $8,000 DSLR that was recently shown to
    have HALF the image quality and resolution of a $400 P&S camera?

    LOL!!!

    That just bugs you to no end doesn't it. People are posting images taken with a
    $400 P&S camera that beats any photography you have ever taken with the best
    DSLRs and the best L-glass available.

    Don't worry Roger, anyone would feel like a fool in your shoes, we understand
    why you do too. You'll get over it.
    SPAM SPOTTER!, Oct 3, 2007
  15. Henry

    frederick Guest

    wrote:

    > Pure magic for low-light or even no-light shots.

    Can you please post links to samples of "no-light" shots you
    have taken.
    Mine lose too much detail when NR is applied:
    http://i22.tinypic.com/bdk5dy.jpg
    frederick, Oct 3, 2007
  16. SPAM SPOTTER! wrote:

    > What's the matter Roger? Not getting enough suckers to visit your misinformation
    > web-site and you're losing all that money trying to sell your tourist quality
    > photography? Photography taken with an $8,000 DSLR that was recently shown to
    > have HALF the image quality and resolution of a $400 P&S camera?

    See? It has so much hate it just can't stop.

    > LOL!!!
    >
    > That just bugs you to no end doesn't it. People are posting images taken with a
    > $400 P&S camera that beats any photography you have ever taken with the best
    > DSLRs and the best L-glass available.

    Since you asked, for all to see, visit my crappy pictures at:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 3, 2007
  17. On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 22:45:35 -0600, "Roger N. Clark (change username to
    rnclark)" <> wrote:

    >SPAM SPOTTER! wrote:
    >
    >> What's the matter Roger? Not getting enough suckers to visit your misinformation
    >> web-site and you're losing all that money trying to sell your tourist quality
    >> photography? Photography taken with an $8,000 DSLR that was recently shown to
    >> have HALF the image quality and resolution of a $400 P&S camera?

    >See? It has so much hate it just can't stop.
    >>
    >> LOL!!!
    >>
    >> That just bugs you to no end doesn't it. People are posting images taken with a
    >> $400 P&S camera that beats any photography you have ever taken with the best
    >> DSLRs and the best L-glass available.

    >Since you asked, for all to see, visit my crappy pictures at:

    <SPAM LINK SNIPPED>

    LOL!

    You walked right into that one you fuckin' idiot. I knew you couldn't help but
    use it to prove to everyone that you're nothing but a low-life spammer. Thanks
    for playing!

    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Now run along spammer, you've outted yourself ..... again.
    SPAM SPOTTER!, Oct 3, 2007
  18. SPAM SPOTTER! wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 22:45:35 -0600, "Roger N. Clark (change username to
    > rnclark)" <> wrote:
    >
    >> SPAM SPOTTER! wrote:
    >>
    >>> What's the matter Roger? Not getting enough suckers to visit your misinformation
    >>> web-site and you're losing all that money trying to sell your tourist quality
    >>> photography? Photography taken with an $8,000 DSLR that was recently shown to
    >>> have HALF the image quality and resolution of a $400 P&S camera?

    >> See? It has so much hate it just can't stop.
    >>> LOL!!!
    >>>
    >>> That just bugs you to no end doesn't it. People are posting images taken with a
    >>> $400 P&S camera that beats any photography you have ever taken with the best
    >>> DSLRs and the best L-glass available.

    >> Since you asked, for all to see, visit my crappy pictures at:

    > <SPAM LINK SNIPPED>
    >
    > LOL!
    >
    > You walked right into that one you fuckin' idiot. I knew you couldn't help but
    > use it to prove to everyone that you're nothing but a low-life spammer. Thanks
    > for playing!
    >
    > LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Now run along spammer, you've outted yourself ..... again.

    You sure did! The personal attacks show your desperation,
    and hate.
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 3, 2007
  19. Henry

    Jonathan Guest

    Glen Darlton wrote:
> [...]

    > strongly (the IR light superseding the full spectrum) The Night-Shot
    > mode also has a brother setting called the Night-Framing mode, this
    > allows you to focus and compose your shot by seeing the scene in your
    > viewfinder in TOTAL darkness (something that no DSLR on earth can do,
    > ever) using just the IR light, then the flash is used to expose the
    > scene normally. Yes, you can also shoot videos in total darkness
    > using the H9's Night Shot mode.
    >

    > It's so refreshing to see these DSLR proponents prove to the world,
    > every chance they get, that only uneducated, inexperienced, and
    > ignorant dumbfucks buy DSLRs. But then who else but a total dumbfuck
    > would buy one when today's P&S cameras for 1/3rd to 1/20th the price
    > (don't forget those overpriced lenses that you *must* buy) and 1/4th
    > the weight and size are every bit as good and in many ways even

    Ya troll that is why so many professionals at sporting events have a P$S
    hidden in their bag and pull them out to get all the very best shots that
    get them the big money.

    Wahahahaha.....What a moron. Just because your mommy won't let you own a
    real camera. Wahahaha............
    Jonathan, Oct 3, 2007
  20. On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 03:48:20 -0400, "Jonathan" <> wrote:

> [...]

    >> ever) using just the IR light, then the flash is used to expose the
    >> scene normally. Yes, you can also shoot videos in total darkness
    >> using the H9's Night Shot mode.
    >>

    >> It's so refreshing to see these DSLR proponents prove to the world,
    >> every chance they get, that only uneducated, inexperienced, and
    >> ignorant dumbfucks buy DSLRs. But then who else but a total dumbfuck
    >> would buy one when today's P&S cameras for 1/3rd to 1/20th the price
    >> (don't forget those overpriced lenses that you *must* buy) and 1/4th
    >> the weight and size are every bit as good and in many ways even
    >> better than DSLRs.

    > Ya troll that is why so many professionals at sporting events have a P$S
    >hidden in their bag and pull them out to get all the very best shots that
    >get them the big money.
    >
    >Wahahahaha.....What a moron. Just because your mommy won't let you own a

    If even 5 billion people are doing and saying a foolish thing, it remains a
    foolish thing. The number of pro-idiots doesn't validate their choices, it only
    amplifies the foolishness of their choices. I suppose if every Nazi was called a
    pro sharp-shooter you'd have followed them too because of your need to blindly
    follow the "pro" herd.

    Another DSLR idiot proving that previously mentioned equation.
    Murray Carlston, Oct 3, 2007