    surfing the web I have come up with the Minolta S414. I would appreciate
    any input.

    steve
    Steve, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Very good camera. best of the money. takes increadable pictures. better get
    a big falsh card and nihm rechargable batteries.
    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > I would like to know the opinion of digital camera users on what is the

    best

    Patrick Devoy, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Steve

    Dreamer Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > What is gray-market? I was looking a B & H Photo.

    Gray-market is usually used to describe cameras (or any sort of electronic
    equipment) produced for sale in countries outside the US (or Canada, I
    think) which, while usually the same physical equipment, often don't come
    with English manuals and rarely if ever come with warranties that can be
    used in the US - if you buy a camera that was supposed to be sold in Hong
    Kong, you have to send it for warranty service *in Hong Kong.* Also,
    gray-market equipment which uses mains power (plugs into the wall) is often
    set to the common 220/240V spectrum used almost everyplace but the US and
    Canada.

    B&H lists it at $399, which is "standard street." MicroCenter was selling it
    at that price last month but threw in a free 256MB card. (You'll need a new
    card, the 16MB card it comes with is wholly inadequate, which is a
    near-universal thing with digital cameras.) Calumet is selling it for
    $329.99 (you have to click on "add to cart" to see the price, but it doesn't
    commit you.)

    Amazon is selling it for $335, but they don't seem to be having the $50
    thing anymore. I've seen it for sale in the back of PopPhoto for $289, but
    I'll bet your next paycheck those are grey-market or else unavailable unless
    you buy the $150 "option pack" which has about $25 worth of actual stuff in
    it, as well as having a $40 "shipping and handling" charge. The cheapest
    place I see it on Computer Shopper that I'd actually buy it from is
    Willoughby's, at $309. (They *will* try to sell you the option pack but
    should let you just buy the camera if you hold out under the pressure.) My
    advice? For an extra $25, buy it from Calumet Photo and sleep well.

    Dreamer, Jul 28, 2003
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "Dreamer" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > > What is gray-market? I was looking a B & H Photo.

    > Gray-market is usually used to describe cameras (or any sort of electronic
    > equipment) produced for sale in countries outside the US (or Canada, I
    > think) which, while usually the same physical equipment, often don't come
    > with English manuals and rarely if ever come with warranties that can be
    > used in the US - if you buy a camera that was supposed to be sold in Hong
    > Kong, you have to send it for warranty service *in Hong Kong.* Also,
    > gray-market equipment which uses mains power (plugs into the wall) is

    often
    > set to the common 220/240V spectrum used almost everyplace but the US and
    > Canada.
    >
    > B&H lists it at $399, which is "standard street." MicroCenter was selling

    it
    > at that price last month but threw in a free 256MB card. (You'll need a

    new
    > card, the 16MB card it comes with is wholly inadequate, which is a
    > near-universal thing with digital cameras.) Calumet is selling it for
    > $329.99 (you have to click on "add to cart" to see the price, but it

    doesn't
    > commit you.)
    >
    > Amazon is selling it for $335, but they don't seem to be having the $50
    > thing anymore. I've seen it for sale in the back of PopPhoto for $289, but
    > I'll bet your next paycheck those are grey-market or else unavailable

    unless
    > you buy the $150 "option pack" which has about $25 worth of actual stuff

    in
    > it, as well as having a $40 "shipping and handling" charge. The cheapest
    > place I see it on Computer Shopper that I'd actually buy it from is
    > Willoughby's, at $309. (They *will* try to sell you the option pack but
    > should let you just buy the camera if you hold out under the pressure.) My
    > advice? For an extra $25, buy it from Calumet Photo and sleep well.

    Thanks for the info. If you click on B & H's link to email a better price
    it is also 329.95.
    Steve, Jul 28, 2003
  5. Steve

    JK Guest

    The Olympus C4000 is quite good at around $380.

    JK, Jul 29, 2003
  6. Steve <>, with thought and calculation, said in
    rec.photo.digital:

    > I would like to know the opinion of digital camera users on what
    > is the best value for $400.00. I have had 2 people ask me this
    > question and after surfing the web I have come up with the Minolta
    > S414. I would appreciate any input.
    >
    > steve

    Mine should arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know.

    --
    Brandy  Alexandre®
    http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
    Brandy Alexandre, Jul 29, 2003
  7. Brandy Alexandre < >, with thought and
    calculation, said in rec.photo.digital:

    > Yes, Amazon is a great buy. No tax adds to the value, and no
    > shipping, plus my resident credit of $24, and the anticipated $50
    > GC, made my total order of the camera, Lexar 256mb card (with a
    > rebate), Kodak batts and charger, and card reader come in At $421
    > and change.

    I should clarify that this is the price before getting the $50 GC. I
    prolly should have saved buying some of those items and used the GC,
    but I have a feeling I'll come up with something else to use it on. ;)

    Brandy Alexandre, Jul 29, 2003