    what would you get? Let's say you were leaving to spend a year in
    another country and that was all you could spend on a camera before
    leaving.

    Red Haze, Mar 6, 2005

  2. Red Haze

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Red Haze" <> wrote in message
    news:422a6200$...
    > What is the best camera for $500 or less ?
    >
    > I know there are different kinds of cameras, but if you had a $500
    > American dollars budget for a camera (including all needed accessories)
    > what would you get? Let's say you were leaving to spend a year in
    > another country and that was all you could spend on a camera before
    > leaving.

    I would spend a little more and get a digital rebel...

    Dirty Harry, Mar 6, 2005

  3. Red Haze

    GTO Guest

    Buy a used camera. Or wait until the 350D hits the market in large
    quantities and buy a 300D for less than that.

    GTO, Mar 6, 2005
  4. "Red Haze" <> wrote in

    > What is the best camera for $500 or less ?
    >
    > I know there are different kinds of cameras, but if you had a $500
    > American dollars budget for a camera (including all needed
    > accessories) what would you get? Let's say you were leaving to
    > spend a year in another country and that was all you could spend
    > on a camera before leaving.

    You didn't specify film or digital...since you crossposted into both
    digital and film groups, I guess it doesn't matter.

    For the best image quality and medium flexibility in that price
    range - NEW, get a film SLR like the Nikon N80 with the mediocre kit
    lens, and buy a Nikkor 50mm/1.8 prime. The 50 is a terrific lens,
    and the cheap zoom will give you wide angle and medium-telephoto
    convenience.

    For maximum flexibility and respectable image quality, Panasonic
    Lumix FZ15 digital ZLR and a *big* memory card.

    Of course, there is always the used market, but I'm not really a fan
    of that route.

    --

    Bill

    Woodchuck Bill, Mar 6, 2005
  5. Red Haze

    Munk Guest

    At the moment, your price range doesn't reach the (new) DSLR range and
    certainly not with all the accessories you need. If your budget cant be
    upped, but you want to go digital, there are several DSLR style cameras,
    witch let you get the feel of some of the features. In this price range you
    could get a brand new Fuji S5000 and have loads of money to spare (as they
    are around $260 from ebay), witch boasts 10x optical zoom all the way down
    to close up macro mode. If you want to use all your budget you could go for
    the s7000 (around 480), or any of the many other slr style cameras.
    Hope this helps.

    Munk, Mar 6, 2005
  6. If you have $500 to spend, I heard you can get a Nikon D70 (normally a
    $1000 - $1200 camera) for that price on Amazon.com. Can't beat that.

    Bruce Coryell, Mar 6, 2005
  7. On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 13:09:30 GMT, Bruce Coryell <>
    wrote:

    >If you have $500 to spend, I heard you can get a Nikon D70 (normally a
    >$1000 - $1200 camera) for that price on Amazon.com. Can't beat that.

    If only it were true.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 6, 2005
  8. Red Haze

    grol Guest

    "Woodchuck Bill" <> wrote in message

    > For the best image quality and medium flexibility in that price
    > range - NEW, get a film SLR like the Nikon N80 with the mediocre kit
    > lens, and buy a Nikkor 50mm/1.8 prime. The 50 is a terrific lens,
    > and the cheap zoom will give you wide angle and medium-telephoto
    > convenience.

    The Nikon F80/N80 is an excellent film SLR! The 50mm F1.8 is dirt cheap (a
    bargain) and has legendary sharpness. If film is your thing, this combo is
    great.
    grol

    grol, Mar 6, 2005
  9. "grol" <> wrote in

    > "Woodchuck Bill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> For the best image quality and medium flexibility in that price
    >> range - NEW, get a film SLR like the Nikon N80 with the mediocre
    >> kit lens, and buy a Nikkor 50mm/1.8 prime. The 50 is a terrific
    >> lens, and the cheap zoom will give you wide angle and
    >> medium-telephoto convenience.

    > The Nikon F80/N80 is an excellent film SLR! The 50mm F1.8 is dirt
    > cheap (a bargain) and has legendary sharpness. If film is your
    > thing, this combo is great.
    > grol

    Just as I suggested, but I suggest he pay the few extra bucks for the
    cheap kit lens too, so he can shoot at 28mm if he needs to go wider
    than 50. He should be able to pick up the N80 kit and the 50mm/1.8 for
    $500 or less if he is in the USA, brand new.

    --

    Bill

    Woodchuck Bill, Mar 6, 2005
  10. Red Haze

    bob Guest

    Red Haze wrote:
    > What is the best camera for $500 or less ?
    >
    > I know there are different kinds of cameras, but if you had a $500
    > American dollars budget for a camera (including all needed accessories)
    > what would you get? Let's say you were leaving to spend a year in
    > another country and that was all you could spend on a camera before
    > leaving.

    For my style of photography, the Coolpix 5000 with the accessory wide
    angle lens and the accessory AA battery grip and a big CF card probalby
    sell for about $500 on ebay.

    The WC-E68 lens gives the camera the 35mm eq. of about a 19mm lens.
    Without it, the built in lens is 28mm eq.

    With a fresh charge, it will take hundreds of photos, including ample
    LCD time and generous flash.

    If the "other country" was going to severly limit my ability to read the
    CF card or charge the batteries, I might revise and extend my remarks.
    If your photographic needs are considerably different from mine, then my
    choices might not be relavent for you.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 7, 2005
  11. Red Haze

    Unspam Guest

    > Red Haze wrote:
    >> What is the best camera for $500 or less ?
    >>
    >> I know there are different kinds of cameras, but if you had a $500
    >> American dollars budget for a camera (including all needed accessories)
    >> what would you get? Let's say you were leaving to spend a year in
    >> another country and that was all you could spend on a camera before
    >> leaving.

    > For my style of photography, the Coolpix 5000 with the accessory wide
    > angle lens and the accessory AA battery grip and a big CF card probalby
    > sell for about $500 on ebay.
    >
    > The WC-E68 lens gives the camera the 35mm eq. of about a 19mm lens.
    > Without it, the built in lens is 28mm eq.
    >
    > With a fresh charge, it will take hundreds of photos, including ample
    > LCD time and generous flash.
    >
    > If the "other country" was going to severly limit my ability to read the
    > CF card or charge the batteries, I might revise and extend my remarks.
    > If your photographic needs are considerably different from mine, then my
    > choices might not be relavent for you.
    >
    > Bob

    I now somebody that bought a Coolpix (not sure of the model) with a Nikon
    wide angle supplementary lens, it got in the way of the flash and made an
    annoying shadow. He sold it.

    Unspam, Mar 7, 2005
  12. Unspam wrote:
    []
    > I now somebody that bought a Coolpix (not sure of the model) with a
    > Nikon wide angle supplementary lens, it got in the way of the flash
    > and made an annoying shadow. He sold it.

    I think you will find that /any/ camera which offers an 18mm or 19mm
    equivalent FOV by means of an add-on lens will have some blocking of the
    built-in flash.

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 7, 2005
  13. In article <BE523D85.16EE1%>, Unspam <>
    wrote:

    > I now somebody that bought a Coolpix (not sure of the model) with a Nikon
    > wide angle supplementary lens, it got in the way of the flash and made an
    > annoying shadow. He sold it.

    Oh, yeah? Well, I know a guy (me, actually) who read the specs BEFORE
    buying the WA lens and knew it would interfere with the built-in flash.
    Said so in black in white. What was your point?

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 7, 2005
  14. In article <BE523D85.16EE1%>, Unspam <>
    wrote:

    > >> I know there are different kinds of cameras, but if you had a $500
    > >> American dollars budget for a camera (including all needed accessories)
    > >> what would you get? Let's say you were leaving to spend a year in
    > >> another country and that was all you could spend on a camera before
    > >> leaving.

    > > For my style of photography, the Coolpix 5000 with the accessory wide
    > > angle lens and the accessory AA battery grip and a big CF card probalby
    > > sell for about $500 on ebay.

    Since the request was in a 35mm forum, don't you think he wanted to
    know about a film camera?

    For this scenario, the camera should be:
    1. A brand available and serviceable in the destination country
    2. Should take a battery that's easy to get AND has a long service life.
    3. As mechanically simple and reliable as possible
    4. Either very easy to use or familiar to the user.
    5. Of high enough quality to be used for irreplaceable shots.

    For ME, the answer would be a Nikon FM3a, even if a lens and flash
    would take it somewhat over $500.

    If the $500 was absolute, perhaps "demo" or slightly used equipment
    would suffice. Or, (obviously) a similar camera from another
    manufacturer.

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 7, 2005
  15. Red Haze

    Unspam Guest

    > In article <BE523D85.16EE1%>, Unspam <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I now somebody that bought a Coolpix (not sure of the model) with a Nikon
    >> wide angle supplementary lens, it got in the way of the flash and made an
    >> annoying shadow. He sold it.

    > Oh, yeah? Well, I know a guy (me, actually) who read the specs BEFORE
    > buying the WA lens and knew it would interfere with the built-in flash.
    > Said so in black in white. What was your point?

    My point? What do you think, moron? You are obviously an idiot who buys
    cameras that don't work properly and doesn't seem to mind.

    Unspam, Mar 7, 2005
  16. Red Haze

    Larry Guest

    In article <BE5253D8.16EE8%>, says...
    > My point? What do you think, moron? You are obviously an idiot who buys
    > cameras that don't work properly and doesn't seem to mind.

    The camera worked exactly as it was intended.
    So did the add on lens.

    What failed to work was YOU.. You didn't read the disclaimer on the paperwork
    that came with the lens.

    Almost all add-on lenses cause some problem or other with the day to day
    operation of the camera. If you had read the copy, you would have known.

    So you didn't like the way it worked, so whats your point??

    Other than giving you the oportunity to call someone obviously smarter than
    you a moron, do you have any point whatever?

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 7, 2005
  17. Red Haze

    bob Guest

    Unspam wrote:

    > I now somebody that bought a Coolpix (not sure of the model) with a Nikon
    > wide angle supplementary lens, it got in the way of the flash and made an
    > annoying shadow. He sold it.

    Besides the fact that this behavior is fully documented, and the fact
    that the firmware disables the built in flash when you let it know that
    its' there, (besides those things), there aren't very many flashes of
    any sort that will cover 19mm, especially not built in ones!!

    Bob

    bob, Mar 7, 2005
  18. Red Haze

    Unspam Guest

    > In article <BE5253D8.16EE8%>, says...
    >> My point? What do you think, moron? You are obviously an idiot who buys
    >> cameras that don't work properly and doesn't seem to mind.
    >>

    > The camera worked exactly as it was intended.
    > So did the add on lens.
    >
    > What failed to work was YOU.. You didn't read the disclaimer on the paperwork
    > that came with the lens.
    >
    > Almost all add-on lenses cause some problem or other with the day to day
    > operation of the camera. If you had read the copy, you would have known.
    >
    > So you didn't like the way it worked, so whats your point??
    >
    > Other than giving you the oportunity to call someone obviously smarter than
    > you a moron, do you have any point whatever?

    It wasn't *my* camera dumbass, as explained previously if you took the time
    to read it. If you're so smart why did you buy a lens that interferes with
    the operation of the flash, halfwit?

    Unspam, Mar 7, 2005
  19. Red Haze

    bob Guest

    Scott Schuckert wrote:

    > Since the request was in a 35mm forum, don't you think he wanted to
    > know about a film camera?

    Check your headers!

    > For ME, the answer would be a Nikon FM3a, even if a lens and flash
    > would take it somewhat over $500.
    >
    > If the $500 was absolute, perhaps "demo" or slightly used equipment
    > would suffice. Or, (obviously) a similar camera from another
    > manufacturer.

    Presumably since he's comparing film offerings to digital, then you need
    to make an assumption about the cost of a year's supply of film, as
    well. My FM2 sold for about $200 on ebay. My 35mm f/1.4 went for less.
    That would still leave $100 for film. Maybe he'll have some kind of
    income to cover the cost of film over the course of the trip though, so
    it doesn't need to count...

    Bob

    bob, Mar 7, 2005
  20. Red Haze

    bob Guest

    Unspam wrote:

    > It wasn't *my* camera dumbass, as explained previously if you took the time
    > to read it. If you're so smart why did you buy a lens that interferes with
    > the operation of the flash, halfwit?

    You obviously don't understand what you're talking about.

    The Coolpix 5000 is an accessory for the WC-E68, not the other way
    around. It's a bonus that there's a flash built in for those rare
    occasions when the WC-E68 is not in use, but it certainly isn't a
    significant part of the camera.

    Here's a test: Name any other photographic system that will give you a
    field of view equal to 19mm on 35mm film for under $500. If you can come
    up with any other alternatives, then can you verify that it has a built
    in flash that is not affected by the lens?

    Didn't think so.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 7, 2005