Best Buy To Release Ed Wood Anyway?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Murder, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Murder

    Murder Guest

    From www.digitalbits.com:

    "How's this for a screwed up situation? Despite Buena Vista's insistence
    to us that the Ed Wood: Special Edition has been indefinitely postponed,
    it seems that several retailers may still be planning on putting it up
    for sale tomorrow. Best Buy has been advertising it in their weekend
    circulars, and it seems likely that other chains will have copies for
    sale as well. We're hearing that many Suncoast stores have yet to be told
    NOT to stock the disc on their shelves. All this despite the fact that
    it's no longer available from many online retailers.

    Honestly, we have no idea what to think at this point. Buena Vista STILL
    hasn't issued an official public statement, or given a reason for the
    supposed postponement. So the best we can tell you is, if you want the
    disc, get out to your local retailers tomorrow morning. You may just get
    lucky.

    Stay tuned...

    --

    Best Buy dissing the Mouse House? Oh please let it be true!

    Murder, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Murder

    Dave Guest

    "Murder" <> wrote in message
    > From www.digitalbits.com:
    >

    > "How's this for a screwed up situation? Despite Buena Vista's insistence
    > to us that the Ed Wood: Special Edition has been indefinitely postponed,
    > it seems that several retailers may still be planning on putting it up
    > for sale tomorrow. Best Buy has been advertising it in their weekend
    > circulars, and it seems likely that other chains will have copies for
    > sale as well. We're hearing that many Suncoast stores have yet to be told
    > NOT to stock the disc on their shelves. All this despite the fact that
    > it's no longer available from many online retailers.
    >
    > Honestly, we have no idea what to think at this point. Buena Vista STILL
    > hasn't issued an official public statement, or given a reason for the
    > supposed postponement. So the best we can tell you is, if you want the
    > disc, get out to your local retailers tomorrow morning. You may just get
    > lucky.
    >
    > Stay tuned...
    >

    > --
    >
    > Best Buy dissing the Mouse House? Oh please let it be true!
    >

    > The Castle Monster: http://www.processionofthedamned.com/diablo.htm

    It must be a business related issue. Perhaps BV isn't paying the producers
    enough or whatever. You would think they would want to jump on this one
    since Big Fish is out and doing reasonably good business. Maybe they have
    decided to do a Tim Burton box set so that the only way to get Ed Wood is to
    buy the whole or partial catalogue.

    I think we might wait for this one about as long as it will take for Tim to
    cut all that damn goth mop off his head.

    Dave, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Murder

    Murder Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in

    > It must be a business related issue. Perhaps BV isn't paying the
    > producers enough or whatever. You would think they would want to jump
    > on this one since Big Fish is out and doing reasonably good business.
    > Maybe they have decided to do a Tim Burton box set so that the only
    > way to get Ed Wood is to buy the whole or partial catalogue.

    Oh christ. I hate that idea, but it wouldn't surprise me at all

    Damn that would make me angry. And the bitch of it is, I would probably be
    forced to buy it, POTA and all.

    Murder, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Murder

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    A Tim Burton box set is highly unlikely. Warner Bros. owns "Pee-wee's Big
    Adventure", "Beetlejuice", "Batman", "Batman Returns" and "Mars Attacks!". Fox
    owns "Edward Scissorhands" and "Planet of the Apes". Buena Vista owns "The
    Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Ed Wood", Paramount owns "Sleepy Hollow" and
    Sony owns "Big Fish". It's this kind of stupid speculation that's making
    people pay big bucks for the disc on eBay. Buena Vista didn't pull this to
    include it in a box set, the only thing they could pair it up with is "The
    Nightmare Before Christmas". They didn't pull it because of the Oscars. If
    they wanted to hype up the fact that Depp and Murray were nominated they would
    send stickers to retailers. They wouldn't pull and entire run of discs. The
    ONLY two things that would cause Buena Vista to RECALL copies are a rights
    issue or a technical problem. Since nobody has reported any technical
    problems, it must be rights. THERE IS SOMETHING ON THE DVD THAT DISNEY DOESN'T
    HAVE THE RIGHTS TO! As for the Circuit City and Best Buy circulars, they're
    printed a couple of weeks in advance, and the DVD was only canceled 11 days
    before it's scheduled release.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    CLOSEDOWN8, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Murder

    Moviezzz Guest

    >"How's this for a screwed up situation? Despite Buena Vista's insistence
    >to us that the Ed Wood: Special Edition has been indefinitely postponed,
    >it seems that several retailers may still be planning on putting it up
    >for sale tomorrow.

    Not that screwed up. Those circulars were printed before they recalled it.

    Moviezzz, Feb 3, 2004
  6. Murder

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "CLOSEDOWN8" <> wrote in message
    <<THERE IS SOMETHING ON THE DVD THAT DISNEY
    DOESN'T HAVE THE RIGHTS TO!>>

    That's got to be what's going on. Nothing else makes any sense.

    Scot Gardner, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Murder

    Jay G Guest

    Moviezzz <> wrote:
    >> "How's this for a screwed up situation? Despite Buena Vista's
    >> insistence to us that the Ed Wood: Special Edition has been
    >> indefinitely postponed, it seems that several retailers may still be
    >> planning on putting it up for sale tomorrow.

    > Not that screwed up. Those circulars were printed before they
    > recalled it.

    Typically weeks beforehand. Hence why all circulars have the
    disclaimer "Release Dates subject to change."

    -Jay

    Jay G, Feb 4, 2004