    I scanned the headers but I did see this....

    Best Buy is selling all of their Superbit titles for $9.99. I bought
    several of the titles that I like just yesterday.

    Roger Zoul, Sep 16, 2005

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    :> Roger Zoul wrote:
    :>
    :>> I scanned the headers but I did see this....

    I meant to say that I scanned the headers but I "didn't" see this....

    :>>
    :>> Best Buy is selling all of their Superbit titles for $9.99. I
    :>> bought several of the titles that I like just yesterday.
    :>
    :> And by way of speculation--
    :> Just when WAS the last Sony Superbit title released?

    I don't have a clue...but I know they did Spiderman 2.....

    And I meant to say that I scanned the headers but I "didn't" see this....

    Roger Zoul, Sep 16, 2005

  3. Roger Zoul

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Roger Zoul wrote:

    > I scanned the headers but I did see this....
    >
    > Best Buy is selling all of their Superbit titles for $9.99. I bought
    > several of the titles that I like just yesterday.

    And by way of speculation--
    Just when WAS the last Sony Superbit title released?

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Roger Zoul

    Goro Guest

    Goro, Sep 18, 2005
  6. Roger Zoul

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Goro" <> wrote in message
    >> > And by way of speculation--
    >> > Just when WAS the last Sony Superbit title released?

    >> The Brown Bunny
    >> 8/16/05
    >> http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99364368536845&item_id=691988

    > KUNG FU HUSTLE Superbit released fairly recently, also...

    Kung Fu Hustle wasn't a Superbit. The disc included a commentary and
    small batch of supplements, and had not DTS track.

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 18, 2005
  7. "Roger Zoul" <> wrote in message
    > I scanned the headers but I did see this....
    >
    > Best Buy is selling all of their Superbit titles for $9.99. I bought
    > several of the titles that I like just yesterday.

    It looks like the Superbit scam has run out of steam. You should not have to
    pay a premium price for a properly-mastered DVD.

    Yesterday, I saw at least 6 copies of the Superbit version of Jody Foster's
    _Panic Room_ in the Wal-Mart bargain bin, priced at $5.50. It didn't seem to
    be selling very well.

    On the other hand, I would be willing to pay $9.99 for the Superbit version
    of _Lawrence of Arabia_. And maybe, _From Here to Eternity_.

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 18, 2005
  8. Roger Zoul

    Goro Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Goro" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> The Brown Bunny
    > >> 8/16/05
    > >> http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99364368536845&item_id=691988

    > > KUNG FU HUSTLE Superbit released fairly recently, also...

    > Kung Fu Hustle wasn't a Superbit. The disc included a commentary and
    > small batch of supplements, and had not DTS track.

    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SB-36423&ref=myp

    -goro-

    Goro, Sep 18, 2005
  9. Roger Zoul

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Goro" <> wrote in message
    >> > KUNG FU HUSTLE Superbit released fairly recently, also...

    >> Kung Fu Hustle wasn't a Superbit. The disc included a commentary and
    >> small batch of supplements, and had no DTS track.

    > http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SB-36423&ref=myp

    We're talking about Region 1 Superbits here, the kind you can purchase
    in a Best Buy for $9.99, hence the thread title.

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 18, 2005
  10. "Roger Zoul" <> wrote in message
    > I scanned the headers but I did see this....
    >
    > Best Buy is selling all of their Superbit titles for $9.99.
    > I bought several of the titles that I like just yesterday.

    Thanks for the post. I had no idea that Best Buy was having this sale.

    This afternoon, I found the following $9.99 Superbit titles at my local Best
    Buy:

    _Lawrence of Arabia_ and _Snatch_. (The single-disk versions of these titles
    were selling for $14.99 each.)

    _From Here To Eternity_. (I had reservations about this one: It is a black
    and white 4.3:1 aspect ratio movie with a monaural soundtrack. I don't see
    how 5.1 DTS/Dolby soundtracks will do much to improve the original mono.)

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 19, 2005
  11. Roger Zoul

    Otter Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:07:47 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the post. I had no idea that Best Buy was having this sale.

    It's been going on for a number of weeks. However, not every Best Buy
    got the message. There have been many reports of Best Buy staff
    denying the sale existed until the ad in their in-store magazine was
    shown to them. Some SBs were reduced, some weren't, but they're ALL
    supposed to be on sale.

    -Otter

    Otter, Sep 19, 2005
  12. Roger Zoul

    shinner Guest

    Otter <> wrote in news:72psi1lhbfgtb10hvginhisc8d1448q2r2@
    4ax.com:

    > Some SBs were reduced, some weren't, but they're ALL
    > supposed to be on sale.

    know for how long?

    shinner, Sep 19, 2005
  13. Roger Zoul

    Galley Guest

    On 19 Sep 2005 02:14:01 -0500, Otter <> spewed forth these words
    of wisdom:

    >On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:07:47 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for the post. I had no idea that Best Buy was having this sale.

    >It's been going on for a number of weeks. However, not every Best Buy
    >got the message. There have been many reports of Best Buy staff
    >denying the sale existed until the ad in their in-store magazine was
    >shown to them. Some SBs were reduced, some weren't, but they're ALL
    >supposed to be on sale.
    >
    >-Otter

    They had some of those special DVD flyers a few weeks ago, and it had a
    full-page ad for the $9.99 Superbits.

    --
    Galley's Music Scene
    A different music topic every weekday

    Galley, Sep 20, 2005
  14. Roger Zoul

    Otter Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:23:15 GMT, shinner <> wrote:

    >> Some SBs were reduced, some weren't, but they're ALL
    >> supposed to be on sale.

    >know for how long?

    I couldn't find it at the time I posted, but the sale started at the
    beginning of August. It was supposed to end Sept 5th or something,
    but has been extended.

    -Otter

    Otter, Sep 20, 2005
  15. "Otter" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:23:15 GMT, shinner <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Some SBs were reduced, some weren't, but they're ALL
    > >> supposed to be on sale.

    > >know for how long?

    > I couldn't find it at the time I posted, but the sale started at the
    > beginning of August. It was supposed to end Sept 5th or something,
    > but has been extended.
    >
    > -Otter

    Apparently, the sale is still going on, as of this morning. The Best Buy
    website lists _Lawrence of Arabia_ Superbit at $9.99:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5809137&type=product&id=22860

    An interesting thing happened to me when I clicked on _store availability_
    for _Lawrence of Arabia_ Superbit. After entering my zip code, the website
    claimed that the 4 closest stores had no copies of this title available.
    However, the store that is 2 miles from my house actually had 2 copies on
    the shelf, one priced at $9.99 and the other priced at $21.99. (All Superbit
    titles scan at $9.99, regardless of the sticker price.) Many of the Superbit
    titles on the shelf still had the regular price sticker, so this probably
    kept a lot of customers from buying them.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5809137&type=product&id=22860

    If your local Best Buy doesn't have the titles you want, go to the Sony
    Superbit site for a complete list of titles and then order them from Best
    Buy online. Sony seems to be selling most of the Superbit titles for $21.99.
    _Panic Room_ was listed at $8.99, but I also saw this title in the Wal-Mart
    bargain bin for $5.50.

    http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/superbit/catalog.html

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 20, 2005
  16. "Otter" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:07:47 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks for the post. I had no idea that Best Buy was having this sale.

    > It's been going on for a number of weeks. However, not every Best Buy
    > got the message. There have been many reports of Best Buy staff
    > denying the sale existed until the ad in their in-store magazine was
    > shown to them. Some SBs were reduced, some weren't, but they're ALL
    > supposed to be on sale.
    >
    > -Otter

    It doesn't hurt to print out the Best Buy website information and take it to
    the store.

    My local Best Buy has been honoring the prices from Best Buy online. On the
    DVD release date of _I Love Lucy 5th Season_, the website had a price of
    $42.99, but the store had a price of $59.99. The store accepted the website
    printout and adjusted the price.

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 20, 2005
  17. Roger Zoul

    shinner Guest

    Otter <> wrote in news:mscvi1lir6v1ake2ehvd5tbkjsiccbkdil@
    4ax.com:

    > I couldn't find it at the time I posted, but the sale started at the
    > beginning of August. It was supposed to end Sept 5th or something,
    > but has been extended.

    Ach, was just in there this afternoon and forgot to look!

    shinner, Sep 20, 2005
  18. Roger Zoul

    Otter Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:42:49 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <>
    wrote:

    >An interesting thing happened to me when I clicked on _store availability_
    >for _Lawrence of Arabia_ Superbit. After entering my zip code, the website
    >claimed that the 4 closest stores had no copies of this title available.

    That's not a suprise. I checked BB online to see if they had a new
    release catalog title in and the site said no. I had to go anyway
    (was just checking prices) and they had several copies on the shelf.

    -Otter

    Otter, Sep 21, 2005