    from Best Buy & respond to it? Did anyone get the "exclusive Best Buy
    Shrek 2 bonus disc", either from Best Buy in person or by mailorder?

    rgordon

    rgordon, Nov 9, 2004

  2. rgordon

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    rgordon wrote:

    > A while ago, I received a preorder e-mail ad from Best Buy advertising
    > a free, "exclusive Best Buy Shrek 2 special bonus disc" for buying
    > "Shrek 2" from Best Buy. I responded to the e-mail and placed the
    > preorder through their website. The package arrived yesterday - with
    > "Shrek 2", but without any "bonus disk" and without any reference to
    > one on the sales slip or anywhere else in the package. I phoned Best
    > Buy's Customer Support - they had no knowledge of this offer, though
    > the said they'd "investigate it and get back to me in a few days"...
    >
    > Did anyone else get this "exclusive Best Buy Shrek 2 bonus disc" offer
    > from Best Buy & respond to it? Did anyone get the "exclusive Best Buy
    > Shrek 2 bonus disc", either from Best Buy in person or by mailorder?
    >
    > rgordon

    I got two copies last Friday at my local best buy. Some of the copies
    had the bonus disk and others did not. It's probably like most of the
    other best buy bonus disks with a 10 minute feature that is easily
    forgettable.

    dick
    -- but I made sure that both of mine were ws with bonus disk just in
    case the bonus was worth-while.

    Dick Sidbury, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Dick Sidbury wrote:
    > I got two copies last Friday at my local best buy. Some of the copies
    > had the bonus disk and others did not. It's probably like most of the
    > other best buy bonus disks with a 10 minute feature that is easily
    > forgettable.
    >
    > dick
    > -- but I made sure that both of mine were ws with bonus disk just in
    > case the bonus was worth-while.

    Not really. Its a DVD-ROM disc with a screensaver and a link
    to a Counting Crows live concert taking place in a few weeks.

    Again, no big deal.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Nov 9, 2004
  4. rgordon

    Kevin Guest

    Dick Sidbury <> wrote:
    > I got two copies last Friday at my local best buy. Some of the copies
    > had the bonus disk and others did not. It's probably like most of the
    > other best buy bonus disks with a 10 minute feature that is easily
    > forgettable.

    > dick
    > -- but I made sure that both of mine were ws with bonus disk just in
    > case the bonus was worth-while.

    So what was it?

    The bonus disk I got for "The Day After Tomorrow" was just a bunch of Fox
    trailers and ads, with maybe 3 minutes of stuff about the movie, so I tossed
    it.

    I got my Shrek 2 at Wal-Mart, and it came with a bonus audio CD of 6
    songs sung by the characters.

    Kevin, Nov 9, 2004
  5. rgordon

    r-gordon-7 Guest

    Well, below is the largely canned non-response I got from Best Buy. They
    seem to have conveniently ignored that the order in question was a
    pre-order, placed in response to/reliance on their e-mail offer, long
    before, "they ran out"... The free disc may have proven to be
    disappointing, but that's not really the point. Frankly for best Buy to
    knowingly induce pre-orders promising a free disc, to subsequently supply
    the free discs to their stores to induce day-of-release in-store sales
    instead of sending them to the pror pre-order customers they induced with
    the offer of the free disc, to instead ship the pre-orders without the free
    disc that induced the pre-orders (and without even any "good faith"
    replacement freebie - nor so much as an apology, explanation or reference to
    the quietly missing free disc), and then to just tell the pre-order
    customers who complain, "sorry we ran out", as if the orders were placed
    after that occurred... is beyond "bait & switch" - and in fact comes damn
    close to outright consumer fraud... On second thought, it really is
    consumer fraud. (And that the free disc may be lousy after all would hardly
    suffice as an effective defense - "you wouln't have liked it anyhow" simply
    isn't an accepted defense to fraud...)

    r-gordon-7, Nov 10, 2004
  6. rgordon

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    r-gordon-7 wrote:

    > Well, below is the largely canned non-response I got from Best Buy. They
    > seem to have conveniently ignored that the order in question was a
    > pre-order, placed in response to/reliance on their e-mail offer, long
    > before, "they ran out"... The free disc may have proven to be
    > disappointing, but that's not really the point. Frankly for best Buy to
    > knowingly induce pre-orders promising a free disc, to subsequently supply
    > the free discs to their stores to induce day-of-release in-store sales
    > instead of sending them to the pror pre-order customers they induced with
    > the offer of the free disc, to instead ship the pre-orders without the free
    > disc that induced the pre-orders (and without even any "good faith"
    > replacement freebie - nor so much as an apology, explanation or reference to
    > the quietly missing free disc), and then to just tell the pre-order
    > customers who complain, "sorry we ran out", as if the orders were placed
    > after that occurred... is beyond "bait & switch" - and in fact comes damn
    > close to outright consumer fraud... On second thought, it really is
    > consumer fraud. (And that the free disc may be lousy after all would hardly
    > suffice as an effective defense - "you wouln't have liked it anyhow" simply
    > isn't an accepted defense to fraud...)

    If you feel that strongly about it you could dispute the charge with
    your credit card company. The best that you could probably get from
    that would be a refund of your money and a necessity of returning the
    disk to BestBuy. I didn't read the ad that you bought from so they may
    have an out. But filing the dispute would at least make best buy aware
    of the fact that some consumers don't like their tactics.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Nov 10, 2004
  7. "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    > Dick Sidbury <> wrote:

    > I got my Shrek 2 at Wal-Mart, and it came with a bonus audio CD
    > of 6 songs sung by the characters.

    I also bought _Shrek 2_ at Wal-Mart. However, the 2-disk "bonus" package
    was $19.88 and the 1-disk package was $14.77.

    I bought the single disc.

    One-Shot Scot, Nov 10, 2004
  8. rgordon

    Kevin Guest

    One-Shot Scot <> wrote:
    > I also bought _Shrek 2_ at Wal-Mart. However, the 2-disk "bonus" package
    > was $19.88 and the 1-disk package was $14.77.

    Ouch. It was the same price here, there was another guy with me wondering
    what the difference was in the two packages for the same price, we both
    decided to go ahead and get the bonus.

    "Here" is Canada, though, yours may be different.

    Kevin, Nov 10, 2004
  9. "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    > One-Shot Scot <> wrote:
    > > I also bought _Shrek 2_ at Wal-Mart. However, the 2-disk "bonus"
    > >package was $19.88 and the 1-disk package was $14.77.

    > Ouch. It was the same price here, there was another guy with me
    > wondering> what the difference was in the two packages for the
    > same price, we botH decided to go ahead and get the bonus.
    >
    > "Here" is Canada, though, yours may be different.

    What some of the California Wal-Mart stores do (it seems to depend upon
    how close they are to a Costco or Best Buy) is to put DVDs on sale for
    one week after their initial release. The receipt reads this way:

    SHREK2WSW/CD 19.88
    ** VOIDED ENTRY
    SHREK2WS 14.77
    WAS 19.88 YOU SAVED 5.11

    So, the REGULAR price gives the CD away in the DVD/CD bonus pack.

    Here's another one:

    DVD-GN WIND 24.18
    WAS 29.44 YOU SAVED 4.96

    One-Shot Scot, Nov 10, 2004
  10. rgordon

    Roger Zoul Guest

    r-gordon-7 wrote:
[...]

    Be careful about what you choose to do about this. They may label you a
    'devil'.

    Roger Zoul, Nov 12, 2004