    Worse, the DVD sleeve is changed to read "Best Buy Bonus" or some BS on the
    spine. Yeccchh.

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Aphelion

    Tony soprano Guest

    "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    news:Csqmd.75$...
    > Best Buy's offering a limited supply of The Chronicles of Riddick DVDs

    with
    > one hour of exclusive bonus content... though the package doesn't tell you
    > what it is, and it's apparently on the movie disc itself. Did anybody get
    > this, and if so, what's the one hour comprised of? Does it dig into the
    > birate on the movie?

    It's on a separate disc inside the case.

    Haven't watched it so I have no idea what is on it.

    T.
    --
    "Logout, that cookie shit makes me nervous!" - Tony Soprano

    Tony soprano, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Aphelion

    BB Guest

    "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    > Best Buy's offering a limited supply of The Chronicles of Riddick DVDs
    > with one hour of exclusive bonus content... though the package doesn't
    > tell you what it is, and it's apparently on the movie disc itself. Did
    > anybody get this, and if so, what's the one hour comprised of? Does it
    > dig into the birate on the movie?
    >
    > Worse, the DVD sleeve is changed to read "Best Buy Bonus" or some BS on
    > the spine. Yeccchh.
    >

    > Aphelion

    It's on a separate disc, included in the package (case), not on the movie
    disk itself.

    -BB

    BB, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Aphelion

    Aphelion Guest

    > It's on a separate disc inside the case.

    Thanks guys, much appreciated!

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Aphelion

    jayembee Guest

    "Aphelion" <> wrote:

    > Best Buy's offering a limited supply of The Chronicles of Riddick DVDs with
    > one hour of exclusive bonus content... though the package doesn't tell you
    > what it is, and it's apparently on the movie disc itself. Did anybody get
    > this, and if so, what's the one hour comprised of? Does it dig into the
    > birate on the movie?

    As others have noted, the bonus disc is inside the keepcase. They did
    the same thing with the DAY AFTER TOMORROW bonus disc.

    If they'd put the extra bonus features on the movie disc, it would've
    required a separate authoring and press run just for Best Buy. Not
    likely to happen.

    > Worse, the DVD sleeve is changed to read "Best Buy Bonus" or some
    > BS on the spine. Yeccchh.

    That's so you can tell which copies have the bonus disc inside, and
    which ones don't.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Aphelion

    fred Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:57:03 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >"Aphelion" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Best Buy's offering a limited supply of The Chronicles of Riddick DVDs with
    >> one hour of exclusive bonus content... though the package doesn't tell you
    >> what it is, and it's apparently on the movie disc itself. Did anybody get
    >> this, and if so, what's the one hour comprised of? Does it dig into the
    >> birate on the movie?

    >As others have noted, the bonus disc is inside the keepcase. They did
    >the same thing with the DAY AFTER TOMORROW bonus disc.
    >
    >If they'd put the extra bonus features on the movie disc, it would've
    >required a separate authoring and press run just for Best Buy. Not
    >likely to happen.
    >
    >> Worse, the DVD sleeve is changed to read "Best Buy Bonus" or some
    >> BS on the spine. Yeccchh.

    >That's so you can tell which copies have the bonus disc inside, and
    >which ones don't.
    >
    >-- jayembee

    In the East Bay of the SF Bay Area there were no stickers on the
    case. The way to tell is to pick up the case and look closely. The
    case feels a little heaver and if you shake it rattles. But to be sure
    look at the top of the case were the white label with the DVD logo ,
    Barcode and the Title is. To the left of the Title is a number if
    the number is printed small and it passes the rattle and weight test.
    You got one with a bonus disc. If the the nuimber is printed larger
    it, it feels lite and it doesn't rattle no bonus. The Bonus disc is an
    hour long with extras not on the main disk. I have not had a chance to
    watch it all yet but what I have seen it is interviews and backgound
    of the set building.

    Fred

    fred, Nov 17, 2004
  7. Aphelion

    Digital Dude Guest

    fred wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:57:03 GMT, jayembee
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Aphelion" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Best Buy's offering a limited supply of The Chronicles of Riddick DVDs with
    >>>one hour of exclusive bonus content... though the package doesn't tell you
    >>>what it is, and it's apparently on the movie disc itself. Did anybody get
    >>>this, and if so, what's the one hour comprised of? Does it dig into the
    >>>birate on the movie?

    >>As others have noted, the bonus disc is inside the keepcase. They did
    >>the same thing with the DAY AFTER TOMORROW bonus disc.
    >>
    >>If they'd put the extra bonus features on the movie disc, it would've
    >>required a separate authoring and press run just for Best Buy. Not
    >>likely to happen.
    >>

    >>>Worse, the DVD sleeve is changed to read "Best Buy Bonus" or some
    >>>BS on the spine. Yeccchh.

    >>That's so you can tell which copies have the bonus disc inside, and
    >>which ones don't.
    >>
    >>-- jayembee

    > In the East Bay of the SF Bay Area there were no stickers on the
    > case. The way to tell is to pick up the case and look closely. The
    > case feels a little heaver and if you shake it rattles. But to be sure
    > look at the top of the case were the white label with the DVD logo ,
    > Barcode and the Title is. To the left of the Title is a number if
    > the number is printed small and it passes the rattle and weight test.
    > You got one with a bonus disc. If the the nuimber is printed larger
    > it, it feels lite and it doesn't rattle no bonus. The Bonus disc is an
    > hour long with extras not on the main disk. I have not had a chance to
    > watch it all yet but what I have seen it is interviews and backgound
    > of the set building.
    >
    > Fred

    DAMMIT! I just bought Chronicles tonight. There were two distinct
    types of packaging. They had different covers on them, but nothing that
    said one had a bonus disc. The packaging I didn't buy had a sticker
    on it that said "Made in Mexico" and gold foil like trim at the top. It
    looked cheesy so I bought the other type. Oh well.

    Digital Dude, Nov 17, 2004
  8. Aphelion

    jayembee Guest

    Digital Dude <""dd\"@@Wkickedkerrysass.com"> wrote:

    > DAMMIT! I just bought Chronicles tonight. There were two distinct
    > types of packaging. They had different covers on them, but nothing that
    > said one had a bonus disc.

    Actually, it did. Kinda sorta.

    > The packaging I didn't buy had a sticker on it that said "Made in Mexico"
    > and gold foil like trim at the top. It looked cheesy so I bought the other
    > type. Oh well.

    That package said, at the top of both spines: "Exclusive Best Buy
    Bonus Content!"

    What has me curious is why they bothered to specifiy "widescreen" on
    the sleeves when, according to the back of the sleeve, it's "available
    only in widescreen".

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 17, 2004
  9. jayembee wrote:
    > What has me curious is why they bothered to specifiy "widescreen" on
    > the sleeves when, according to the back of the sleeve, it's "available
    > only in widescreen".

    Because there are idiots who despite being informed that Widescreen
    is how the film is intended to be seen still demand for that altered
    POS.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Who hates P&S period.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Nov 18, 2004
  10. Aphelion

    jayembee Guest

    "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote:

    > jayembee wrote:
    >> What has me curious is why they bothered to specifiy
    >> "widescreen" on the sleeves when, according to the back
    >> of the sleeve, it's "available only in widescreen".

    > Because there are idiots who despite being informed that
    > Widescreen is how the film is intended to be seen still
    > demand for that altered POS.

    That's my point. The notation "available only in widescreen"
    appears in small print on the back. The notation "widescreen"
    appears in fairly large print on the front. Someone who wants
    P&S is going to be scouring the shelf, and/or bugging the
    store staff for a copy that says "fullscreen" when there
    apparently aren't any.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 18, 2004
  11. Aphelion

    fred Guest

    On 18 Nov 2004 09:28:58 -0800, (jayembee)
    wrote:

    >"Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> jayembee wrote:
    >>> What has me curious is why they bothered to specifiy
    >>> "widescreen" on the sleeves when, according to the back
    >>> of the sleeve, it's "available only in widescreen".

    >> Because there are idiots who despite being informed that
    >> Widescreen is how the film is intended to be seen still
    >> demand for that altered POS.

    >That's my point. The notation "available only in widescreen"
    >appears in small print on the back. The notation "widescreen"
    >appears in fairly large print on the front. Someone who wants
    >P&S is going to be scouring the shelf, and/or bugging the
    >store staff for a copy that says "fullscreen" when there
    >apparently aren't any.
    >
    >-- jayembee

    I thought I saw some Full Screen at my Best Buy, the one that did not
    have the sticker on the Bonus Disks
    Fred

    fred, Nov 18, 2004
  12. Aphelion

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "Aphelion" <> wrote in message news:<Csqmd.75$>...
    > Best Buy's offering a limited supply of The Chronicles of Riddick DVDs with
    > one hour of exclusive bonus content... though the package doesn't tell you
    > what it is, and it's apparently on the movie disc itself.

    I talked to a Best Buy employee today and he said it's the one with
    the UPC sticker reading "00027" in the upper right hand corner. That's
    the one I just bought, let's see if he's right!

    (Opening it live, on the internet, right now!)

    Disc 1 - Unrated Director's Cut
    Disc 2 - Bonus Disc, Exclusive content featuring:
    Riddick Rises
    Creating New Mecca
    Keep What You Kill
    Interactive Production Calendar

    No liner notes, has fold-out ad instead.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Nov 19, 2004
  13. Aphelion

    Jordan Lund Guest

    fred <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > I thought I saw some Full Screen at my Best Buy, the one that did not
    > have the sticker on the Bonus Disks

    'Tis true, but the full screen version has different cover art.
    Perhaps it says "only available in full screen" on the back? :^)

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Nov 19, 2004
  14. jayembee wrote:
    > That's my point. The notation "available only in widescreen"
    > appears in small print on the back. The notation "widescreen"
    > appears in fairly large print on the front. Someone who wants
    > P&S is going to be scouring the shelf, and/or bugging the
    > store staff for a copy that says "fullscreen" when there
    > apparently aren't any.

    Or bug the staff for a (cringe) "full frame" edition.

    Brian The Demoliton Man Little
    Who wants to shoot the person who came up with that
    very inaccurate wording.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Nov 19, 2004
  15. fred wrote:
    > On 18 Nov 2004 09:28:58 -0800, (jayembee)
    > wrote:
    > I thought I saw some Full Screen at my Best Buy, the one that did not
    > have the sticker on the Bonus Disks

    The rated version is available in P&S, the unrated however is not.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Who's store only got the Unrated edition.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Nov 19, 2004
  16. jayembee <> wrote:

    > Digital Dude <""dd\"@@Wkickedkerrysass.com"> wrote:
    >
    > > DAMMIT! I just bought Chronicles tonight. There were two distinct
    > > types of packaging. They had different covers on them, but nothing that
    > > said one had a bonus disc.

    > Actually, it did. Kinda sorta.
    >
    > > The packaging I didn't buy had a sticker on it that said "Made in Mexico"
    > > and gold foil like trim at the top. It looked cheesy so I bought the other
    > > type. Oh well.

    > That package said, at the top of both spines: "Exclusive Best Buy
    > Bonus Content!"
    >
    > What has me curious is why they bothered to specifiy "widescreen" on
    > the sleeves when, according to the back of the sleeve, it's "available
    > only in widescreen".
    >
    > -- jayembee

    May have to rethink my Walmart purchase... They had both widescreen and
    full screen versions, by the way, but obviously no "Exclusive Best Buy
    Bonus Content"...

    Frank Malczewski, Nov 19, 2004
  17. Aphelion

    jayembee Guest

    "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote:

    > Or bug the staff for a (cringe) "full frame" edition.
    >
    > Brian The Demoliton Man Little
    > Who wants to shoot the person who came up with that
    > very inaccurate wording.

    Well, the original intent of the term "full frame" was to
    distinguish between open-matte and pan-&-scan transfers.
    The "full frame" was to indicate that the transfer is of
    the entire exposed frame. I can't recall ever seeing the
    term "full frame" used for a pan-&-scan transfer.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 19, 2004
  18. Aphelion

    Mark Guest

    just watched a portion of the bonus disc tonight. it has some behind the
    scenes stuff for the first part. the four parts are:
    riddick rises
    keep what you kill (the necromonger philosophy)
    creating new mecca
    interactive production calendar

    Mark, Nov 20, 2004
  19. jayembee wrote:
    > Well, the original intent of the term "full frame" was to
    > distinguish between open-matte and pan-&-scan transfers.
    > The "full frame" was to indicate that the transfer is of
    > the entire exposed frame. I can't recall ever seeing the
    > term "full frame" used for a pan-&-scan transfer.

    I've seen a number of DVDs at Circuit City labeled
    "full frame" on the price sticker. Hell, even the "Star
    Wars" boxset had that label on the sticker as well.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Who will stick to WS/OAR.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Nov 20, 2004