Best Buy rebate RIPOFF!!!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by LarryB, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. LarryB

    LarryB Guest

    Watch out for Best Buy and Bestbuy.com. They will rip you off on rebates
    (like everyone does these days)!!!

    I bought a WD hard drive on-line that had a $30 Best Buy rebate and a
    $40.00 WD rebate. Bestbuy.com sent me the info via email that I needed to do
    an in-store pick up.

    When I picked it up in store, the clerk gave me their rebate form and said
    this is what you need for your rebate

    The rebate was rejected due to "invalid receipt". Bestbuy rebate center said
    it was because I used the form the store had given me instead of the
    required bestbuy.com form.

    AND THEN they told me the online forms go bye-bye after the postmark
    deadline for the rebate! In other words, if you listen to the store clerk,
    you are screwed! And if you buy from Best Buy or Bestbuy.com you are
    screwed!

    It wouldn't be so bad but this is the THIRD rebate I have had denied by Best
    Buy for some picky reason: like they lost the UPS proof of purchase seal on
    one and said they didn't receive it and wouldn't accept a copy I had made
    just in case.

    Hello Mr. Ohio State Attorney General!

    --
    --------------------------------------
    My favorite bumper sticker:
    LarryB, Oct 24, 2003

  2. LarryB

    Mark Jones Guest

    "LarryB" <> wrote in message
    > Watch out for Best Buy and Bestbuy.com. They will rip you off on rebates
    > (like everyone does these days)!!!

    I refuse to buy anything where the price is based on a
    mail-in rebate. Any company that does this has guaranteed
    a lost sale as I consider these rebates to be deceptive pricing.
    Mark Jones, Oct 24, 2003

  3. LarryB

    Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:55:54 -0400, "LarryB" <>
    typed:

    >Hello Mr. Ohio State Attorney General!

    Be sure to let us know how it went with you. Best Buy is on first name
    basis with various Attorney Generals. here's an example from last
    Spring:
    http://hypothermia.gamershardware.com/articles/bestbuy_gf4deal.html

    Best Buy offered GeForce Ti4600 on their site for $129 (retails for over
    $300 at that time) and someone even confirmed via phone. But after a
    few thousands were ordered, Best Buy realized it and cancelled all the
    order. Some still tried to get the order completed and some was able to
    get the video card for the $129 advertised price. The site was last
    updated a year ago and I don't know what happened since then.
    --
    space for rent.
    To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net
    Impmon, Oct 25, 2003
  4. LarryB

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Impmon" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:55:54 -0400, "LarryB" <>
    > typed:
    >
    > >Hello Mr. Ohio State Attorney General!

    > Be sure to let us know how it went with you. Best Buy is on first name
    > basis with various Attorney Generals. here's an example from last
    > Spring:
    > http://hypothermia.gamershardware.com/articles/bestbuy_gf4deal.html
    >
    > Best Buy offered GeForce Ti4600 on their site for $129 (retails for over
    > $300 at that time) and someone even confirmed via phone. But after a
    > few thousands were ordered, Best Buy realized it and cancelled all the
    > order. Some still tried to get the order completed and some was able to
    > get the video card for the $129 advertised price. The site was last
    > updated a year ago and I don't know what happened since then.

    In this case, it would appear to be a simple database editing
    error that Best Buy should have been able to fix without everyone
    wanting to make a big deal of it. Pricing errors can sometimes
    happen and people shouldn't try to take advantage of a mistake.

    The person on the phone was probably simply responding to
    what they themselves could see on the web site without
    knowing that the price was incorrect. The Best Buy web site
    had/has a notice indicating that all prices are subject to change
    and that should have been the end of this mess.
    Mark Jones, Oct 25, 2003
  5. LarryB

    Peter Guest

    OT: Re: Best Buy rebate RIPOFF!!!

    Ok. this is so off-topic, however I'm replying because I am going
    through a similar experience...

    I went to best buy to buy Norton Anti-Virus. Their ad, and a competitor
    were both selling it for regular price $60 cdn I believe with a $30 rebate.
    I went to the store with the flyer. I noticed that they also had an
    additional rebate for just the upgrade to the latest norton. SO I took
    the flyer, and product to the supervisor in the computing department,
    and clarified that yes, the stand alone Norton Anti-Virus comes with a
    $30 rebate, but NOT the additional rebate that the upgrade has. Fine,
    thats all I needed to know, I get $30 off..

    So I purchased the product. With Best Buy, when they scan the product,
    and finish the sale, the rebate then prints out on a receipt (unlike
    some places that just give you a seperate form to fill out.)

    So I read through the rebate form, did exactly what it asked, filled it
    all out, cut out the UPC bar code, stuck it all in an envelope, and
    mailed it off.

    about 7 weeks later, I recieve this little postcard that says "too bad,
    so sad, you're UPC barcode was invalid, and therefore we cannot process
    your rebate"

    WTF!!! Thankfully, from past experiences, I had photocopied everything
    prior to mailing it out. So I brought the photocopies of the receipt,
    barcode, rebate form etc. etc. to the customer service place at the best
    buy I purchased it at. I explained everything to them and they agreed, I
    should have gotten my rebate. Of course, i was hoping that they'd just
    do a pay-out and give me my $30. But of course they didn't. Instead, the
    manager of the Customer Service area wrote a letter to Symantec (who
    was actually giving the rebate) stating that everything was properly
    done, and that I still have the product and I should get my rebate. I
    then photocopied everything once more, wrote my own letter as to what
    had transpired, and I have mailed it all back once more to the obscure
    P.O. box on the rebate form.

    So I'm hoping to find out what happens.

    Rebates have screwed me and my wife in the past. With futureshop she
    bought software with a $10 rebate. The employee told her it came with a
    rebate and handed her the form. She never got her $10 and so every day
    she went in to complain that she hadn't gotten her rebate after it was
    rejected. They called the head office for her, and they stated that
    there was no rebate for that product. She stated that the employee at
    the store gave her the form which indeed did have it listed.
    Eventually the manager just did a pay-out of $10 for her and sent her on
    her way. I know it's only $10.. but it's the principle...

    I hate these blasted rebates. Just give me the discoun and be done with it.

    LarryB wrote:
    > Watch out for Best Buy and Bestbuy.com. They will rip you off on rebates
    > (like everyone does these days)!!!
    >
    > I bought a WD hard drive on-line that had a $30 Best Buy rebate and a
    > $40.00 WD rebate. Bestbuy.com sent me the info via email that I needed to do
    > an in-store pick up.
    >
    > When I picked it up in store, the clerk gave me their rebate form and said
    > this is what you need for your rebate
    >
    > The rebate was rejected due to "invalid receipt". Bestbuy rebate center said
    > it was because I used the form the store had given me instead of the
    > required bestbuy.com form.
    >
    > AND THEN they told me the online forms go bye-bye after the postmark
    > deadline for the rebate! In other words, if you listen to the store clerk,
    > you are screwed! And if you buy from Best Buy or Bestbuy.com you are
    > screwed!
    >
    > It wouldn't be so bad but this is the THIRD rebate I have had denied by Best
    > Buy for some picky reason: like they lost the UPS proof of purchase seal on
    > one and said they didn't receive it and wouldn't accept a copy I had made
    > just in case.
    >
    > Hello Mr. Ohio State Attorney General!

    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the
    computer you will find at least two human errors,
    Peter, Oct 25, 2003
  6. Re: Re: Best Buy rebate RIPOFF!!!

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Ok. this is so off-topic, however I'm replying because I am going
    > through a similar experience...
    >
    > I went to best buy to buy Norton Anti-Virus. Their ad, and a competitor
    > were both selling it for regular price $60 cdn I believe with a $30

    rebate.
    > I went to the store with the flyer. I noticed that they also had an
    > additional rebate for just the upgrade to the latest norton. SO I took
    > the flyer, and product to the supervisor in the computing department,
    > and clarified that yes, the stand alone Norton Anti-Virus comes with a
    > $30 rebate, but NOT the additional rebate that the upgrade has. Fine,
    > thats all I needed to know, I get $30 off..
    >
    > So I purchased the product. With Best Buy, when they scan the product,
    > and finish the sale, the rebate then prints out on a receipt (unlike
    > some places that just give you a seperate form to fill out.)
    >
    > So I read through the rebate form, did exactly what it asked, filled it
    > all out, cut out the UPC bar code, stuck it all in an envelope, and
    > mailed it off.
    >
    > about 7 weeks later, I recieve this little postcard that says "too bad,
    > so sad, you're UPC barcode was invalid, and therefore we cannot process
    > your rebate"
    >
    > WTF!!! Thankfully, from past experiences, I had photocopied everything
    > prior to mailing it out. So I brought the photocopies of the receipt,
    > barcode, rebate form etc. etc. to the customer service place at the best
    > buy I purchased it at. I explained everything to them and they agreed, I
    > should have gotten my rebate. Of course, i was hoping that they'd just
    > do a pay-out and give me my $30. But of course they didn't. Instead, the
    > manager of the Customer Service area wrote a letter to Symantec (who
    > was actually giving the rebate) stating that everything was properly
    > done, and that I still have the product and I should get my rebate. I
    > then photocopied everything once more, wrote my own letter as to what
    > had transpired, and I have mailed it all back once more to the obscure
    > P.O. box on the rebate form.

    I went through and did the whole thing just like you for $80 over a cell
    phone two years ago.
    After mailing the b.s. letter I was still refused my rebate.
    I called their customer service line and was told over the phone, "We can't
    help you."

    Last July however I won a $500 gift certificate from them.
    ominousspiritous, Oct 25, 2003
  7. LarryB

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Re: Re: Best Buy rebate RIPOFF!!!

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Ok. this is so off-topic, however I'm replying because I am going
    > through a similar experience...
    >
    > I went to best buy to buy Norton Anti-Virus. Their ad, and a competitor
    > were both selling it for regular price $60 cdn I believe with a $30

    rebate.

    Well if you are willing to pay that much for Norton Anti Virus, you deserve
    to get ripped off!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3633521034&category=3806

    That has Anti Virus, Sytemworks, Ghost, Clean Sweep, and a ton of other
    stuff...$6 USD.
    Pug Fugley, Oct 25, 2003
  8. LarryB

    Justin Guest

    Re: OT: Re: Best Buy rebate RIPOFF!!!

    Peter wrote on [Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:09:43 -0400]:
    > Ok. this is so off-topic, however I'm replying because I am going
    > through a similar experience...
    >
    > I went to best buy to buy Norton Anti-Virus. Their ad, and a competitor
    > were both selling it for regular price $60 cdn I believe with a $30 rebate.
    > I went to the store with the flyer. I noticed that they also had an
    > additional rebate for just the upgrade to the latest norton. SO I took
    > the flyer, and product to the supervisor in the computing department,
    > and clarified that yes, the stand alone Norton Anti-Virus comes with a
    > $30 rebate, but NOT the additional rebate that the upgrade has. Fine,
    > thats all I needed to know, I get $30 off..

    see, I cut your post, but it seems part of your problem is you ask the
    sales people if the rebate is valid and good, when they 98% of the time
    don't know any more than someone off the street about it.
    Justin, Oct 26, 2003
  9. LarryB

    Justin Guest

    ominousspiritous wrote on [Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:20:47 GMT]:
    > I went through and did the whole thing just like you for $80 over a cell
    > phone two years ago.
    > After mailing the b.s. letter I was still refused my rebate.
    > I called their customer service line and was told over the phone, "We can't
    > help you."

    yup, rebates are a BULLSHIT thing

    > Last July however I won a $500 gift certificate from them.

    did that have anything to do with the rebates?
    Justin, Oct 26, 2003
  10. LarryB

    Rutgar Guest

    Re: OT: Re: Best Buy rebate RIPOFF!!!

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:44:56 GMT, Justin <2go.com>
    wrote:

    >Peter wrote on [Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:09:43 -0400]:
    >> Ok. this is so off-topic, however I'm replying because I am going
    >> through a similar experience...
    >>
    >> I went to best buy to buy Norton Anti-Virus. Their ad, and a competitor
    >> were both selling it for regular price $60 cdn I believe with a $30 rebate.
    >> I went to the store with the flyer. I noticed that they also had an
    >> additional rebate for just the upgrade to the latest norton. SO I took
    >> the flyer, and product to the supervisor in the computing department,
    >> and clarified that yes, the stand alone Norton Anti-Virus comes with a
    >> $30 rebate, but NOT the additional rebate that the upgrade has. Fine,
    >> thats all I needed to know, I get $30 off..

    >see, I cut your post, but it seems part of your problem is you ask the
    >sales people if the rebate is valid and good, when they 98% of the time
    >don't know any more than someone off the street about it.

    I've bought many products through the years that had rebates from Best
    Buy, and I've never had a problem. I received the $30.00 rebate, for
    the WD drive. I also received a $100.00 rebate from buying a
    Viewsonic 19" LCD Flatscreen. I even was late in getting the stuff
    for the Viewsonic rebate in the mail, and I still got the $100.00.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Oct 26, 2003
  11. Re: Re: Best Buy rebate RIPOFF!!!

    >Well if you are willing to pay that much for Norton Anti Virus, you deserve
    >to get ripped off!
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3633521034&category=3806

    Except that is Systemworks 2003.

    It has been replaced by Symantec with Systemworks 2004. I don't think you can
    find SW 2004 for $6 anywhere. Not even on eBay.

    SW 2003 is still supported, but it is not the most current software. However,
    2003 should still be more than sufficient for anyone, even against 2004.

    Although, I have bought my Anti-Virus, Norton AV 2003, from the same seller
    quite recently. You don't really need SystemWorks as it is a frickin' resource
    hog. Norton Anti-Virus, Norton Ghost, and the standard MS suite of Scandisk,
    Defrag, and Windows Update are all you need for maintaining and backing up a
    home personal computer. Add a decent firewall if your internet connection is a
    high speed one with a single IP number assigned to your computer.

    Just don't trust McAfee to make decent protection for your computer. -
    Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 26, 2003
  12. Re: OT: Re: Best Buy rebate RIPOFF!!!

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:44:56 GMT, Justin <2go.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Peter wrote on [Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:09:43 -0400]:
    > >> Ok. this is so off-topic, however I'm replying because I am going
    > >> through a similar experience...
    > >>
    > >> I went to best buy to buy Norton Anti-Virus. Their ad, and a competitor
    > >> were both selling it for regular price $60 cdn I believe with a $30

    rebate.
    > >> I went to the store with the flyer. I noticed that they also had an
    > >> additional rebate for just the upgrade to the latest norton. SO I took
    > >> the flyer, and product to the supervisor in the computing department,
    > >> and clarified that yes, the stand alone Norton Anti-Virus comes with a
    > >> $30 rebate, but NOT the additional rebate that the upgrade has. Fine,
    > >> thats all I needed to know, I get $30 off..

    > >see, I cut your post, but it seems part of your problem is you ask the
    > >sales people if the rebate is valid and good, when they 98% of the time
    > >don't know any more than someone off the street about it.

    > I've bought many products through the years that had rebates from Best
    > Buy, and I've never had a problem. I received the $30.00 rebate, for
    > the WD drive. I also received a $100.00 rebate from buying a
    > Viewsonic 19" LCD Flatscreen. I even was late in getting the stuff
    > for the Viewsonic rebate in the mail, and I still got the $100.00.
    >
    > - Rutgar

    That would make you one of the fortunate FEW that have no problems getting
    rebates.

    Unfortunately the majority of rebates have problems ranging from minor
    (late) all the way to major (never being paid when VALIDATED and APPROVED
    for payment). Been there, done that, with more rebates than I care to count.

    --
    callsignviper

    The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
    the right questions.
    callsignviper, Oct 26, 2003
  13. LarryB

    Kerry Duvall Guest

    Re:Office Max bigger rebate RIPOFF!!!

    Try getting a rebate from Office Max. First they give you a booklet that
    takes you about 30 minutes to actually find the item that has the rebate. I
    have then mailed various items off for rebate and have had several rejected
    recently for bogus claims such as "incorrect UPC label", etc..

    It's quite obvious .. these companies hope you never send in the rebate form
    and if you do, they are going to find a reason to reject it!
    Kerry Duvall, Oct 26, 2003
  14. Re: Office Max bigger rebate RIPOFF!!!

    Kerry Duvall wrote:

    > Try getting a rebate from Office Max. First they give you a booklet that
    > takes you about 30 minutes to actually find the item that has the rebate. I
    > have then mailed various items off for rebate and have had several rejected
    > recently for bogus claims such as "incorrect UPC label", etc..
    >
    > It's quite obvious .. these companies hope you never send in the rebate form
    > and if you do, they are going to find a reason to reject it!

    I have received all of the rebates that I have filed for from Office Max.

    Matthew

    --
    <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

    Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
    You can't break even.
    You can't get out of the game.
    Matthew L. Martin, Oct 26, 2003
  15. LarryB

    buck Guest

    Re: Office Max bigger rebate RIPOFF!!!

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Kerry Duvall wrote:
    >
    > > Try getting a rebate from Office Max. First they give you a booklet that
    > > takes you about 30 minutes to actually find the item that has the rebate. I
    > > have then mailed various items off for rebate and have had several rejected
    > > recently for bogus claims such as "incorrect UPC label", etc..
    > >
    > > It's quite obvious .. these companies hope you never send in the rebate form
    > > and if you do, they are going to find a reason to reject it!

    > I have received all of the rebates that I have filed for from Office Max.
    >
    > Matthew

    My wife and I have made a Sunday game out of Office Max and Staples
    rebates..

    Usually they will have at least two items (between the two stores) that
    have a rebate larger than the selling price. This weeks example
    "Multimedia Keyboard" $9.97 with a $10 rebate (Office Max).

    If we can use the item we get it, and we ALWAYS get the rebate. (dozens
    of rebates over the last two years).

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    buck, Oct 26, 2003
  16. Re: Office Max bigger rebate RIPOFF!!!

    callsignviper, Oct 27, 2003
  17. LarryB

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    callsignviper wrote:
    > "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Kerry Duvall wrote:
    >>

    >>>Try getting a rebate from Office Max. First they give you a booklet that
    >>>takes you about 30 minutes to actually find the item that has the

    > rebate. I
    >
    >>>have then mailed various items off for rebate and have had several

    > rejected
    >
    >>>recently for bogus claims such as "incorrect UPC label", etc..
    >>>
    >>>It's quite obvious .. these companies hope you never send in the rebate

    > form
    >
    >>>and if you do, they are going to find a reason to reject it!

    >>I have received all of the rebates that I have filed for from Office Max.
    >>
    >>Matthew
    >>

    > That would make you one of the fortunate FEW that have no problems getting
    > rebates.
    >
    > Unfortunately the majority of rebates have problems ranging from minor
    > (late) all the way to major (never being paid when VALIDATED and APPROVED
    > for payment). Been there, done that, with more rebates than I care to count.

    I've never had problems with office max or best buy or circuit city. I
    had a minor problem with a buy.com rebate on a Creative mp3 player but
    after calling several times 3 months after the purchase I finally called
    and they said that they had no record. So they looked again at my
    insistance and found the records. And wouldn't you know it, they had
    sent out the rebate just the day before. :) It arrived about a week
    later. So persistence pays off.

    OTOH, I have NEVER gotten any rebated from CompUSA. Out of about 3 or 4
    rebates, none of them have ever been honored. They basically tell me
    that they have no records of my sending in info and I then send them
    photocopies of the original and they still deny it. So I don't shop
    there anymore.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Oct 27, 2003
  18. LarryB

    zoltan47 Guest

    wrote:

    >Watch out for Best Buy and Bestbuy.com. They will rip you off on rebates
    >(like everyone does these days)!!!
    >
    >I bought a WD hard drive on-line that had a $30 Best Buy rebate and a
    >$40.00 WD rebate. Bestbuy.com sent me the info via email that I needed to do
    >an in-store pick up.
    >
    >When I picked it up in store, the clerk gave me their rebate form and said
    >this is what you need for your rebate
    >
    >The rebate was rejected due to "invalid receipt". Bestbuy rebate center said
    >it was because I used the form the store had given me instead of the
    >required bestbuy.com form.
    >
    >AND THEN they told me the online forms go bye-bye after the postmark
    >deadline for the rebate! In other words, if you listen to the store clerk,
    >you are screwed! And if you buy from Best Buy or Bestbuy.com you are
    >screwed!
    >
    >It wouldn't be so bad but this is the THIRD rebate I have had denied by Best
    >Buy for some picky reason: like they lost the UPS proof of purchase seal on
    >one and said they didn't receive it and wouldn't accept a copy I had made
    >just in case.
    >
    >Hello Mr. Ohio State Attorney General!

    I've had only one Rebate encounter w/Best Buy, but it turned out OK
    for me.

    My HD crashed the beginning of August. That same week BB had a two
    part rebate offer on a WD HD: $20 from BB and $30 from WD. (This
    wasn't an on-line purchase.) At the checkout. I received three copies
    of the receipt (one each for me. BB, and WD) and the two rebate forms.

    I received the BB rebate about two weeks ago, and the WD rebate today.
    ( I have a bad habit of procrastinating, so I waited a few weeks to
    send in the rebates. If I hadn't waited, I presume I would have
    received the rebates earlier.)
    zoltan47, Oct 27, 2003
  19. LarryB

    Cernovog Guest

    "Kerry Duvall" <> wrote:

    > Try getting a rebate from Office Max. First they give you a booklet that
    > takes you about 30 minutes to actually find the item that has the rebate. I
    > have then mailed various items off for rebate and have had several rejected
    > recently for bogus claims such as "incorrect UPC label", etc.

    I've gotten a number of rebates back from Office Max with no trouble.

    However, I must agree, the rebate book can be a challenge to
    navigate sometimes. I remember I had a heck of a time finding the
    product I bought last time I got an Office Max rebate.
    Cernovog, Oct 28, 2003