    incorrect advice of their salesman!

    You take a risk shopping at Best Buy. I'm not going to give them any more
    money. You shouldn't either.
    BD, Jul 6, 2004

  2. BD

    HF Guest

    Well why did you go back so much Caveat emptor Dont you have guarantees
    or legislation in your country
    "BD" <> wrote in message
    > I have purchased various computer equipment from Best Buy over the years.

    It
    > is usually because of price, but several of the transactions have ended
    > badly. Twice they have sold me defective computers, then not taken them

    back
    > because I was one or two days beyond the 14 day return policy. If they

    sell
    > you junk, they should be a little flexible in standing behind it. Most
    > recently, they sold me an e-machine PC with a bad power supply. I returned
    > it on the 13th day and they exchanged it. But they exchanged it for

    another
    > one with a bad sound board. When I tried to return the second lemon, they
    > wouldn't exchange it because it was now 16 days from the date of the first
    > purchase!
    >
    > On another occasion, they advised me to by the wrong memory card. When it
    > didn't work in my computer, they wouldn't take it back because it was over
    > the time limit from the purchase date, even though I bought it on the
    > incorrect advice of their salesman!
    >
    > You take a risk shopping at Best Buy. I'm not going to give them any more
    > money. You shouldn't either.

    ---
    HF, Jul 6, 2004

  3. BD

    Thor Guest

    "BD" <> wrote in message
    > I have purchased various computer equipment from Best Buy over the years.

    It
    > is usually because of price, but several of the transactions have ended
    > badly. Twice they have sold me defective computers, then not taken them

    back
    > because I was one or two days beyond the 14 day return policy. If they

    sell

    And if they had a 15 or 16 day return window instead of a 14 day, there
    would be someone just like you who brings something back on the 17th or 18th
    day, and then bitching about the fact that they wouldn't take it back.

    > recently, they sold me an e-machine PC with a bad power supply. I returned
    > it on the 13th day and they exchanged it. But they exchanged it for

    another
    > one with a bad sound board. When I tried to return the second lemon, they
    > wouldn't exchange it because it was now 16 days from the date of the first
    > purchase!

    This is when you use the manufacturer's warranty. After all, this is a
    manufacturer issue, not a Best Buy issue. Best Buy didn't make the damn
    thing, E-machines does. The 14 day return period Best Buy offers is a
    courtesy. Beyond that, you take advantage of the manufacturer's warranty.
    Best Buy aren't the people who warranty the merchandise.

    > On another occasion, they advised me to by the wrong memory card. When it
    > didn't work in my computer, they wouldn't take it back because it was over
    > the time limit from the purchase date, even though I bought it on the
    > incorrect advice of their salesman!

    How long did it take you to figure out that it was the wrong one? You failed
    to try the card out in a reasonable amount of time.

    > You take a risk shopping at Best Buy. I'm not going to give them any more
    > money. You shouldn't either.

    Sounds like they are better off without you shopping there.
    Thor, Jul 6, 2004
  4. BD

    Capt Ron Guest

    Well, what do you expect when your buy an Emachine? They are hands down the
    cheapest "disposable" computer on the market. If you raise enough hell they
    will refund you. I will not buy a computer at best buy, but I will buy
    equipment.

    Capt Ron, Jul 6, 2004
  5. BD

    Plato Guest

    Capt Ron wrote:

    > Well, what do you expect when your buy an Emachine? They are hands down the

    Well, he did say he buys on price, not quality. :)
    Plato, Jul 6, 2004
  6. BD

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Capt Ron" <> wrote in

    > Well, what do you expect when your buy an Emachine? They are hands
    > down the cheapest "disposable" computer on the market. If you raise
    > enough hell they will refund you. I will not buy a computer at best
    > buy, but I will buy equipment.

    That's not entirely true. The low end emachines are cheap junk, but their
    high end PCs are damned nice pieces of work.
    Jim Berwick, Jul 6, 2004
  7. BD

    VWWall Guest

    BD wrote:

    > I have purchased various computer equipment from Best Buy over the years. It
    > is usually because of price, but several of the transactions have ended
    > badly. Twice they have sold me defective computers, then not taken them back
    > because I was one or two days beyond the 14 day return policy. If they sell
    > you junk, they should be a little flexible in standing behind it. Most
    > recently, they sold me an e-machine PC with a bad power supply. I returned
    > it on the 13th day and they exchanged it. But they exchanged it for another
    > one with a bad sound board. When I tried to return the second lemon, they
    > wouldn't exchange it because it was now 16 days from the date of the first
    > purchase!
    >
    > On another occasion, they advised me to by the wrong memory card. When it
    > didn't work in my computer, they wouldn't take it back because it was over
    > the time limit from the purchase date, even though I bought it on the
    > incorrect advice of their salesman!
    >
    > You take a risk shopping at Best Buy. I'm not going to give them any more
    > money. You shouldn't either.

    Maybe they don't want you! :)

    http://texascitysun.com/story.lasso?wcd=5943

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........
    VWWall, Jul 6, 2004
  8. BD

    Geoh 37 Guest

    Recently I purcahsed and returned two Cyberhome DVD Recorders and one
    RAC DVD Recorder.

    All within the 14 day time period.

    I also returned a Cyberhome 1500 recorder to radioshack.
    They gave me a 30 day refund or 90 day in store credit policy on this
    item.

    I ended up with a working RAC DVD+ recorder (still going).

    My refunds all appeared on my account within a couple days and e mails
    were sent to me the first day.

    When you buy from any company it's always a good Idea to test the
    equipment ASAP.
    I can't wait to get it home and try it.
    Like any new toy.

    http://community-2.webtv.net/Geo_H/RecentPictures/
    Geoh 37, Jul 7, 2004
  9. It's not Best Buy's fault that the computers are lemons. Don't buy junk
    computers like Emachines if you don't want that to happen.
    A 14 day return policy is fine. You have plenty of time to test out all
    components of the computer and return it if something is not working. Don't
    blame Best Buy for that. I love Best Buy for Computer games, software, music
    and electronics but I would recommend buying computers from Dell. They will
    be a little more expensive, but you won't have so many problems with them
    and will bet better return service.

    Best Buy is a great store if you want the best price (I've saved hundreds or
    dollars there) but if you want the best service and knowledgeable employees
    look elsewhere.

    Matthew Henderson, Jul 10, 2004
  10. BD

    Weakling Guest

    "Matthew Henderson" <> wrote in message

    > Best Buy is a great store if you want the best price

    I'm going to have to disagree with this. Best Buy is about the most
    expensive store for computer equipment.

    Just to give an example of what I am talking about ... I walked into Best
    Buy a few weeks ago to buy a CD-RW drive. The cheapest generic drive they
    had was like $80. I shook my head and walked out ... went to Micro Center
    and scored a Samsung drive for $30.
    Weakling, Jul 13, 2004
  11. I'm not sure where you were looking but I seen lots of CD-RW drives
    advertised at Best Buy for $19.99.
    if you go when you don't have one on sale they may be more expensive but I
    usually wait for a special and then they are the best price

    Matthew Henderson, Jul 17, 2004