    Canon PowerShot S400's at 319! One of the guys on the floor mentioned that
    Best Buy was way over stocked with them and that people were not buying them
    because of the new models (S410 and S500). That was a killer deal!

    Sseaott, May 12, 2004

  2. Sseaott

    Thad Guest

    Sseaott wrote:

    > I don't know if this was just at the store I went to, or if it was at all
    > Best Buy stores across the country but...
    >
    > I went in today to check out some of the cameras in person, I wasn't ready
    > to buy yet because I'm selling my Fuji, and putting that money towards a new
    > one. I however wish I was able to buy today because they were selling the
    > Canon PowerShot S400's at 319! One of the guys on the floor mentioned that
    > Best Buy was way over stocked with them and that people were not buying them
    > because of the new models (S410 and S500). That was a killer deal!

    Why do I only hear about these sales when it is too late? ;-)

    Was it just your local Best Buy? Or all stores?

    -Thad L.

    Thad, May 12, 2004

  3. Sseaott

    ~ Darrell ~ Guest

    "Sseaott" <Not so fast there Spammer!> wrote in message
    > I don't know if this was just at the store I went to, or if it was at all
    > Best Buy stores across the country but...
    >
    > I went in today to check out some of the cameras in person, I wasn't ready
    > to buy yet because I'm selling my Fuji, and putting that money towards a

    new
    > one. I however wish I was able to buy today because they were selling the
    > Canon PowerShot S400's at 319! One of the guys on the floor mentioned

    that
    > Best Buy was way over stocked with them and that people were not buying

    them
    > because of the new models (S410 and S500). That was a killer deal!

    Best Buy and Future Shop usually stretches the truth. The reason they had
    them on sale is they bought the S400 in volume because it was being phased
    out. The big boxes rely on Buying all the remaining stock at a better price
    so they can have a sale. So they knock the price down to a really good price
    point, and they end up with normally a better profit margin on the
    remainders. The little Mom & Pop shops can't buy the numbers that Best Buy
    can...

    ~ Darrell ~, May 12, 2004
  4. Sseaott

    m II Guest

    ~ Darrell ~ wrote:

    > Best Buy and Future Shop usually stretches the truth. The reason they had
    > them on sale is they bought the S400 in volume because it was being phased
    > out. The big boxes rely on Buying all the remaining stock at a better price
    > so they can have a sale. So they knock the price down to a really good price
    > point, and they end up with normally a better profit margin on the
    > remainders. The little Mom & Pop shops can't buy the numbers that Best Buy
    > can...

    future Shop was a Canadian outfit a couple of years ago. They got bought
    out by American interests. Future Shop is so slimy they STILL have
    'Proudly Canadian' posters in their windows here. (ALberta Canada).

    They've been suspected of bait and switch in the past. Their staff used
    to be on straight commission, too..making for them to hover over you
    like a vulture.

    Get any implied warrantys given by the sales staff written on the bill
    of sale.

    mike

    m II, May 12, 2004
  5. "Sseaott" <Not so fast there Spammer!> wrote in message
    > I don't know if this was just at the store I went to, or if it was at all
    > Best Buy stores across the country but...
    >
    > I went in today to check out some of the cameras in person, I wasn't ready
    > to buy yet because I'm selling my Fuji, and putting that money towards a

    new
    > one. I however wish I was able to buy today because they were selling the
    > Canon PowerShot S400's at 319! One of the guys on the floor mentioned

    that
    > Best Buy was way over stocked with them and that people were not buying

    them
    > because of the new models (S410 and S500). That was a killer deal!

    The S410 has been sold for as little as $334 at Dell (after discounts and
    coupons). Clearly Best Buy is trying to clear out the remaining stock of
    S400s..

    Steven M. Scharf, May 12, 2004