    Thanks folks!

    --
    Josh

    Josh Boardman, Mar 17, 2005

  2. Josh Boardman wrote:
    > Hi nz.comp,

    Hi Josh...

    > I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
    > looking at changing to a DSL connection.

    wise decision, if you feel it is the right time, you go for it.

    > I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
    > best service.

    Best service means different things to different people.
    From a helpdesk perspective, smaller ISPs seem to have more helpful
    helpdesks, but bigger ones normally have less issues.

    Take Xtra for example, their helpdesk are trained monkeys... I know, I
    used to be one of them, but their services hardly ever go down, meaning
    that if you are even mildly technical, you may never have to deal with them.

    > I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
    > eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
    > of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that...

    Gaming usually requires a stable connection rather than raw speed, so
    one with less lag would be better than one that is say faster, but prone
    to spikes. In saying that, a 256k connection would be about the slowest
    I'd use for gaming, so 256k+ should be what you're after, which leaves
    you with the choice of three things.
    Telecom 2Mbit DSL
    Telecom 256kbit DSL
    non-Telecom 256kbit DSL
    Or Cable if in areas of Wellington or chch

    At the moment(and Im gonna be flamed for this), I'd go Telecom 2Mbit,
    and probably with Xtra.

    > I do most of my email
    > and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
    > take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
    > Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
    > patterns.

    hmmm, browsing at work...
    umm, by the sounds I do about the same as you, and the most I have
    downloaded is ~8Gbyte, with average being ~5-6.

    Patches for games are getting kinda huge, so expect your first month
    gaming to be rather high usage, unless you already have all the updates
    for games, or download and burn to CD at work if allowed.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 17, 2005

  3. Josh Boardman

    Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Best service means different things to different people.
    > From a helpdesk perspective, smaller ISPs seem to have more helpful
    > helpdesks, but bigger ones normally have less issues.
    >
    > Take Xtra for example, their helpdesk are trained monkeys... I know,

    > used to be one of them, but their services hardly ever go down,

    meaning
    > that if you are even mildly technical, you may never have to deal

    with them.

    Sounds good, I hardly use helpdesk support, preferring to try and work
    things out myself using the web or Usenet. Been lucky so far. :)

    > > I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
    > > eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like

    World
    > > of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that...

    > Gaming usually requires a stable connection rather than raw speed, so

    > one with less lag would be better than one that is say faster, but

    prone
    > to spikes. In saying that, a 256k connection would be about the

    slowest
    > I'd use for gaming, so 256k+ should be what you're after, which

    leaves
    > you with the choice of three things.
    > Telecom 2Mbit DSL
    > Telecom 256kbit DSL
    > non-Telecom 256kbit DSL
    > Or Cable if in areas of Wellington or chch
    >
    > At the moment(and Im gonna be flamed for this), I'd go Telecom 2Mbit,

    > and probably with Xtra.

    Hehe, is Xtra the local whipping boy here? I was actually leaning
    towards the same thing myself, but alas, their free join-up offer
    expired at the weekend, so I'll have to wait until they offer it
    again... The big selling point for me was the fact that you can go over
    your limit and not have your speed cut, although paying for each MB
    over 10gig sounds kind of expensive. My trouble is that I get kind of
    addicted to flashy new games, and end up spending hours in front of the
    screen <gulp> I'm just nervous about my first bill.

    > hmmm, browsing at work...
    > umm, by the sounds I do about the same as you, and the most I have
    > downloaded is ~8Gbyte, with average being ~5-6.
    >
    > Patches for games are getting kinda huge, so expect your first month
    > gaming to be rather high usage, unless you already have all the

    updates
    > for games, or download and burn to CD at work if allowed.

    They sure are, and the demos...!! sheesh! I couldn't believe my eyes,
    200MB+ is common these days! Luckily, I do have access to DVD burning
    at work, so it's not an issue.

    Thanks heaps for all your comments Dave, and your quick response.

    --
    Josh

    , Mar 17, 2005
  4. On 16 Mar 2005 22:56:09 -0800, (Josh Boardman) wrote:

    >Hi nz.comp,
    >
    >I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
    >looking at changing to a DSL connection.
    >
    >I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
    >best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
    >eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
    >of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
    >and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
    >take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
    >
    >Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
    >patterns.
    >
    >Thanks folks!

    Saturn Cable..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 17, 2005
  5. Josh Boardman

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:56:09 -0800, Josh Boardman wrote:

    > Does it
    > take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?

    Nope.

    Gordon, Mar 17, 2005
  6. Josh Boardman

    Axle Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > On 16 Mar 2005 22:56:09 -0800, (Josh Boardman) wrote:
    >

    >>Hi nz.comp,
    >>
    >>I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
    >>looking at changing to a DSL connection.
    >>
    >>I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
    >>best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
    >>eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
    >>of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
    >>and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
    >>take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
    >>
    >>Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
    >>patterns.
    >>
    >>Thanks folks!

    > Saturn Cable..

    TelstraClear and Saturn have completely screwed the paradise operation
    they started with by de peering from peering exchanges so they can
    charge international rates for what should be national traffic.
    Steer clear of this company.

    Axle, Mar 17, 2005
  7. On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:17:15 +1300, Axle <> wrote:

    >BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    >> On 16 Mar 2005 22:56:09 -0800, (Josh Boardman) wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi nz.comp,
    >>>
    >>>I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
    >>>looking at changing to a DSL connection.
    >>>
    >>>I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
    >>>best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
    >>>eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
    >>>of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
    >>>and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
    >>>take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
    >>>
    >>>Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
    >>>patterns.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks folks!

    >> Saturn Cable..
    >>

    >TelstraClear and Saturn have completely screwed the paradise operation
    >they started with by de peering from peering exchanges so they can
    >charge international rates for what should be national traffic.
    >Steer clear of this company.

    As Saturn is the Only Cable service that was made for HS data you do not have
    any other choice, DSL is crap and a hack, to many drop outs and was never made
    for HS data..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 17, 2005
  8. Josh Boardman

    Axle Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:17:15 +1300, Axle <> wrote:
    >

    >>BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    >>>Saturn Cable..
    >>>

    >>TelstraClear and Saturn have completely screwed the paradise operation
    >>they started with by de peering from peering exchanges so they can
    >>charge international rates for what should be national traffic.
    >>Steer clear of this company.

    > As Saturn is the Only Cable service that was made for HS data you do not have
    > any other choice, DSL is crap and a hack, to many drop outs and was never made
    > for HS data..

    It used to be good, but its run by dickhead Australians now.

    Axle, Mar 17, 2005
  9. Josh Boardman

    EMB Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    > As Saturn is the Only Cable service that was made for HS data you do not have
    > any other choice, DSL is crap and a hack, to many drop outs and was never made
    > for HS data..

    Stick to what you know Woger, ADSL does the job a lot better than you
    give it credit for. Once you've owned a DSL connection for a period of
    time your viewpoint will be valid, until then STFU.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 17, 2005
  10. Josh Boardman

    EMB Guest

    Josh Boardman wrote:
    > Hi nz.comp,
    >
    > I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
    > looking at changing to a DSL connection.
    >
    > I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
    > best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
    > eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
    > of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
    > and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
    > take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?

    Stick with dialup and keep sponging off the taxpayer by using AuckUni
    resources for anything that matters!

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 17, 2005
  11. On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:33:27 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    >
    >> As Saturn is the Only Cable service that was made for HS data you do not have
    >> any other choice, DSL is crap and a hack, to many drop outs and was never made
    >> for HS data..

    >Stick to what you know Woger, ADSL does the job a lot better than you
    >give it credit for. Once you've owned a DSL connection for a period of
    >time your viewpoint will be valid, until then STFU.

    I do read this news group and see all the problems with ADSL, but it seems
    that you have never tried cable of live in a dump of a place that does not
    have it.

    That is you problem not mine..

    A Phone cable was never meant for HS data, plus the distance limitations..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 17, 2005
  12. BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > As Saturn is the Only Cable service that was made for HS data you do not have
    > any other choice, DSL is crap and a hack, to many drop outs and was never made
    > for HS data..

    what was it made for then Roger?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 17, 2005
  13. Josh Boardman

    EMB Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    > I do read this news group and see all the problems with ADSL, but it seems
    > that you have never tried cable of live in a dump of a place that does not
    > have it.

    I have had cable both in NZ and overseas. Generally it worked well and
    performed as advertised, but it is shared bandwidth so performance
    issues can easily arise.

    Strangely enough Woger, with this being a group that offers computer
    knowledge, the bulk of the posts in here about any technology will be
    either asking for help with problems, or announcing something bleeding
    edge. As such you simply can't form a meaningful opinion as to
    something's reliability based on postings in this group.

    I look after about 50 ADSL coonections for clients and friends. Any
    problems (and there have only been a few) have either been with dead
    hardware (as can happen to all hardware), procedural errors on telecom's
    part (not a problem with ADSL per se), or general routing problems which
    once again are not ADSL related.

    > That is you problem not mine..
    >
    > A Phone cable was never meant for HS data, plus the distance limitations..

    And cable was introduced as a TV transmission medium - does that make it
    less use as a data network? No it doesn't but it's not a viable option
    in low population density areas - my father has ADSL at 4.5km from the
    exchange in a rural area and it works fine. The chances of anyone EVER
    installing CATV there are zero - 10 potential subscribers for 10km of
    cable just wouldn't be viable. However ADSL is here, now and works on
    existing cabling - as such it's a far better technology in a practical,
    real-world sense even though CATV may look technically better on paper.

    C'mon Woger, take off the blinkers and look at the real world - just
    becasue you have cable (and IIRC can't get ADSL where you are) doesn't
    change the relative merits of either system. Try reading a bit outside
    this group, but still in NZ - it'll help the S/N ratio and give you a
    more realistic view of the HS internet options.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 17, 2005
  14. Josh Boardman

    steve Guest

    Josh Boardman wrote:
    > Hi nz.comp,
    >
    > I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
    > looking at changing to a DSL connection.
    >
    > I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
    > best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
    > eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
    > of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
    > and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
    > take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
    >
    > Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
    > patterns.
    >
    > Thanks folks!

    I've found Jetstream Plus ADSL with a non-Telecom ISP to be good.

    ONly got to 10GB once in the past year.......downloading TV episodes for
    a series not on the tube locally.

    steve, Mar 17, 2005
  15. Josh Boardman

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > At the moment(and Im gonna be flamed for this), I'd go Telecom 2Mbit,
    > and probably with Xtra.

    I agree with you but for the Xtra part.

    If you want a static IP and to be able to run your own
    servers.....forget Xtra.

    steve, Mar 17, 2005
  16. On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:56:09 -0800, Josh Boardman wrote:

    > Hi nz.comp,
    >
    > I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
    > looking at changing to a DSL connection.
    >
    > I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
    > best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
    > eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
    > of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
    > and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
    > take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
    >
    > Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
    > patterns.
    >
    > Thanks folks!

    I'd recommend the 1 GB/month plan.. and see how you go. It's free to
    change the plan upwards (and downwards) I think, so you stand to lose
    nothing and gain a bit.
    I'm on the 1 GB plan and I'm sure I've done at least 3 -4 times that (if
    not more). Remembering of course Telecom can slow me down at anytime for
    busting the cap

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 18, 2005
  17. EMB <> wrote in message news:<d1biuo$937$>...
    > Josh Boardman wrote:
    > > Hi nz.comp,
    > >
    > > I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
    > > looking at changing to a DSL connection.
    > >
    > > I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
    > > best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
    > > eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
    > > of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
    > > and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
    > > take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?

    > Stick with dialup and keep sponging off the taxpayer by using AuckUni
    > resources for anything that matters!

    Thanks for the tip mate.

    *sponge* *sponge*

    Josh Boardman, Mar 18, 2005
  18. Josh Boardman

    Guest

    wrote:

    > >Hi nz.comp,
    > >
    > >I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
    > >looking at changing to a DSL connection.
    > >
    > >I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
    > >best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with

    an
    > >eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
    > >of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my

    email
    > >and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
    > >take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
    > >
    > >Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
    > >patterns.
    > >
    > >Thanks folks!

    > Saturn Cable..

    Hmmm, I checked their website and it looks a bit too expensive for me,
    and besides it's not available in Auckland at the moment. But thanks
    for the suggestion.

    --
    Josh

    , Mar 18, 2005