Best British comedy

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rob K, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. Rob K

    Rob K Guest

    Which British comedy was the best :
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/

    I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    expressions easily confuse me.

    A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
    BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
    Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
    BA : "pointless"

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Jan 11, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rob K

    James Mourby Guest

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Which British comedy was the best :
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >
    > I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    > three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    > expressions easily confuse me.
    >
    > A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
    > BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
    > Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
    > BA : "pointless"
    >
    > --
    > My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    >


    I'll assume thats an accent thing... i beleive its "Life without you
    ma'am... is like a broken pencil." :OD
    James Mourby, Jan 11, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rob K

    Ionizer Guest

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Which British comedy was the best :
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >
    > I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    > three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    > expressions easily confuse me.


    Fawlty Towers.
    (Or was that "flowery twats?")

    What other series, from ANY country, of only *twelve* episodes (!) is so
    enduring, and still so genuinely funny as long as 30 (!) years after its
    original run?

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jan 11, 2004
    #3
  4. Rob K

    Rob K Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    <snipped>
    >
    > What other series, from ANY country, of only *twelve* episodes (!) is so
    > enduring, and still so genuinely funny as long as 30 (!) years after its
    > original run?


    Good point. It's just a matter of personal preference.
    John Cleese IMHO has written a piece of history with his
    'impersonation' of Nazi's and the beauty of it lies in the
    simplicity... Also, there's a scene in A fish called Wanda, where he's
    upside down hanging from a window ... and the movie where he plays the
    'award-winning' head-master, and Monty Python, and, and, and ...

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Jan 11, 2004
    #4
  5. Rob K

    Rob K Guest

    James Mourby wrote:
    > "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Which British comedy was the best :
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >>
    >> I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    >> three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    >> expressions easily confuse me.
    >>
    >> A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
    >> BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
    >> Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
    >> BA : "pointless"
    >>
    >> --
    >> My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    >>

    >
    > I'll assume thats an accent thing... i beleive its "Life without you
    > ma'am... is like a broken pencil." :OD


    Believe :D

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Jan 11, 2004
    #5
  6. Rob K

    enjay Guest

    I sat for several minutes trying to decide.
    Should it be Blackadder or Fawlty Towers. Very difficult decision.

    In the end.....Blackadder.

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Which British comedy was the best :
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >
    > I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    > three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    > expressions easily confuse me.
    >
    > A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
    > BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
    > Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
    > BA : "pointless"
    >
    > --
    > My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    >
    >
    enjay, Jan 11, 2004
    #6
  7. Rob K

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:32:49 +0100, Rob K wrote:

    >Which British comedy was the best :
    >http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >
    >I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    >three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    >expressions easily confuse me.


    I'd have to take Fawlty Towers. I just loved to see what was on the sign in
    front every time. And I'm a BIG John Cleese fan. LOL

    >A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
    >BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
    >Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
    >BA : "pointless"


    --
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    --Albert Einstein
    Mara, Jan 11, 2004
    #7
  8. Rob K

    Joe Guest

    Best British comedy....Benny Hill
    Joe, Jan 11, 2004
    #8
  9. Rob K

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Rob K said:

    > Which British comedy was the best :
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >
    > I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    > three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    > expressions easily confuse me.
    >
    > A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
    > BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
    > Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
    > BA : "pointless"


    Red Dwarf :)
    Brian H¹©, Jan 11, 2004
    #9
  10. The Good Life (aka Good Neighbors).

    Cathy

    --
    "Staccato signals of constant information..."
    ("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Which British comedy was the best :
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >
    > I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    > three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    > expressions easily confuse me.
    >
    > A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
    > BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
    > Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
    > BA : "pointless"
    >
    > --
    > My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    >
    >
    Cathy Friedmann, Jan 11, 2004
    #10
  11. Rob K

    ICee Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Rob K said:
    >
    >> Which British comedy was the best :
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >>
    >> I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    >> three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    >> expressions easily confuse me.
    >>
    >> A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
    >> BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
    >> Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
    >> BA : "pointless"

    >
    > Red Dwarf :)


    I'll second that!


    --
    "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
    Douglas Adams
    ICee, Jan 11, 2004
    #11
  12. Rob K

    SgtMinor Guest

    Yes, Minister.

    Rob K wrote:
    >
    > Which British comedy was the best :
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >
    > I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    > three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    > expressions easily confuse me.
    >
    > A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
    > BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
    > Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
    > BA : "pointless"
    >
    > --
    > My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    >
    SgtMinor, Jan 11, 2004
    #12
  13. Rob K

    Mark Guest

    Only Fools and Horses has to be number 1,
    + Father Ted ,
    and from the new ones how about 'My Family'
    or possibly '2.4 Children'

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Yes, Minister.
    >
    > Rob K wrote:
    > >
    > > Which British comedy was the best :
    > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    > >
    > > I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    > > three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    > > expressions easily confuse me.
    > >
    > > A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
    > > BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
    > > Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
    > > BA : "pointless"
    > >
    > > --
    > > My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    > >
    Mark, Jan 11, 2004
    #13
  14. Rob K

    Rick Shaw Guest

    Ronnie Barker and David Jason in "Open all Hours", absolutely brilliant
    comedy.
    Rick Shaw, Jan 11, 2004
    #14
  15. Rob K

    Bryan Guest

    "Rick Shaw" <> wrote in message
    news:c09Mb.16744$
    > Ronnie Barker and David Jason in "Open all Hours", absolutely
    > brilliant comedy.


    Or "Porrige"
    Bryan, Jan 11, 2004
    #15
  16. Rob K

    trout Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Rob K said:
    >
    >> Which British comedy was the best :
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >>
    >> I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    >> three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    >> expressions easily confuse me.
    >>
    >> A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
    >> BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
    >> Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
    >> BA : "pointless"

    >
    > Red Dwarf :)


    I'd agree; if it were a 'sit-com'. I'm not sure what it was; but I'm
    pretty sure it wasn't that (at least by definition).
    My perspective is one of the potat- um, television afficionado. So;
    there simply weren't enough Faulty Towers' made to bear the brunt of
    "favourite" status. Ab/Fab was also good, but light fare, that didn't
    often have me going back for seconds.
    So, the default has to go to Blackadder; for both the content, and
    the whimsical mystery of which 'series year' would be shown, when, by
    the CBC here in the Colonies.
    --
    "To be fair, a couple on the list might not have been shown here at all;
    and none really supported by any promotion to speak of."
    trout, Jan 11, 2004
    #16
  17. It was on Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:34:05 -0600, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Mara wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:32:49 +0100, Rob K wrote:
    >
    >>Which British comedy was the best :
    >>http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >>
    >>I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    >>three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    >>expressions easily confuse me.

    >
    > I'd have to take Fawlty Towers. I just loved to see what was on the sign in
    > front every time. And I'm a BIG John Cleese fan. LOL


    Yes! LOL
    There has been a complete rerun of the Red Dwarf series on BBC2. It was
    one of the funniest comedy series, IMHO. The characters were terrific! :)
    Rimmer : Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten : Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

    >>A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen: BA : "My love for
    >>you is like a broken pencil" Q : (confused) "Tell me how?" BA :
    >>"pointless"


    --
    Linux User #: 305646. http://counter.li.org/
    Using linux at home, since 1998
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    William Poaster, Jan 11, 2004
    #17
  18. Rob K

    trout Guest

    William Poaster wrote:

    > It was on Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:34:05 -0600, just as I was halfway
    > through a large jam doughnut, that Mara wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:32:49 +0100, Rob K wrote:
    >>
    >>> Which British comedy was the best :
    >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >>>
    >>> I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    >>> three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    >>> expressions easily confuse me.

    >>
    >> I'd have to take Fawlty Towers. I just loved to see what was on the
    >> sign in front every time. And I'm a BIG John Cleese fan. LOL

    >
    > Yes! LOL
    > There has been a complete rerun of the Red Dwarf series on BBC2. It
    > was
    > one of the funniest comedy series, IMHO. The characters were
    > terrific! :) Rimmer : Step up to Red Alert!
    > Kryten : Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.


    Oddly enough; the best 'showing' of Red dwarf I've seen 'from here'
    is from the (American) PBS network which, for years, had a 'season
    marathon' each year on their Seattle station as their pledge drive.
    --
    "It's a wonderful world."
    trout, Jan 11, 2004
    #18
  19. It was on Sun, 11 Jan 2004 03:43:10 -0800, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that trout wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> It was on Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:34:05 -0600, just as I was halfway
    >> through a large jam doughnut, that Mara wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:32:49 +0100, Rob K wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Which British comedy was the best :
    >>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
    >>>>
    >>>> I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
    >>>> three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
    >>>> expressions easily confuse me.
    >>>
    >>> I'd have to take Fawlty Towers. I just loved to see what was on the
    >>> sign in front every time. And I'm a BIG John Cleese fan. LOL

    >>
    >> Yes! LOL
    >> There has been a complete rerun of the Red Dwarf series on BBC2. It
    >> was
    >> one of the funniest comedy series, IMHO. The characters were
    >> terrific! :) Rimmer : Step up to Red Alert!
    >> Kryten : Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

    >
    > Oddly enough; the best 'showing' of Red dwarf I've seen 'from here'
    > is from the (American) PBS network which, for years, had a 'season
    > marathon' each year on their Seattle station as their pledge drive.


    I keep hoping they ( the BBC ) will make another series, but no signs yet.
    IIRC, the last episode of series 8, gave some idea that another would be
    made....

    [A black screen; a steady wind can be heard, blowing gently. Fade up the
    words:

    "THE END"

    [After a few moments, the letters are deleted, making way for a replacement
    message: ....or is it?]

    --
    Linux User #: 305646. http://counter.li.org/
    Using linux at home, since 1998
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    William Poaster, Jan 11, 2004
    #19
  20. Rob K

    Bryan Guest

    "Bryan" <> wrote in message
    news:bA9Mb.862$
    > "Rick Shaw" <> wrote in message
    > news:c09Mb.16744$
    >> Ronnie Barker and David Jason in "Open all Hours", absolutely
    >> brilliant comedy.

    >
    > Or "Porrige"


    or Porridge <sigh>
    Bryan, Jan 11, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Pauline Johnson
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,042
  2. Shane Gould

    "The Office" Season 1 on DVD: BBC Comedy

    Shane Gould, Oct 4, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    538
    Tallulah Blanket
    Oct 5, 2003
  3. susan
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    921
    susan
    Nov 13, 2003
  4. Nick

    Comedy Show

    Nick, Feb 3, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    394
    FMercury39
    Feb 3, 2004
  5. G. M. Watson
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    622
    G. M. Watson
    Nov 14, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page