Best BRICK and MORTAR pricing?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by sireltonjohn@yahoo.com, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. Guest

    From what I can tell Wal-Mart seems to still have the newest releases
    a dollar or two below Best Buy, Circuit City etc . . . .

    Does anyone else concur??

    i.e. Bruce Almighty and X2 for $14.87 . . . .
    , Nov 27, 2003

  2. wrote:

    > From what I can tell Wal-Mart seems to still have the newest releases
    > a dollar or two below Best Buy, Circuit City etc . . . .
    >
    > Does anyone else concur??

    Actually, I've found Home Depot's prices for brick and mortar were
    cheaper...

    Derek Janssen (and don't forget the specials on indoor plumbing!)
    Derek Janssen, Nov 27, 2003

  3. Dick Sidbury Guest

    wrote:
    > From what I can tell Wal-Mart seems to still have the newest releases
    > a dollar or two below Best Buy, Circuit City etc . . . .
    >
    > Does anyone else concur??
    >
    > i.e. Bruce Almighty and X2 for $14.87 . . . .

    BA was 14.99 at cc, 15.99 at BB
    X2 was 14.99 at cc, 17.99 at BB
    X complete was 25.87 at WM and 29.99 at CC and BB

    So I bought them all at BB. Price match less 10% of difference and I
    could use ny reward zone card.

    dick
    -- and I just went in and told them the prices (with no ads in my hand)
    Dick Sidbury, Nov 27, 2003
  4. madkevin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > From what I can tell Wal-Mart seems to still have the newest releases
    > a dollar or two below Best Buy, Circuit City etc . . . .
    >
    > Does anyone else concur??
    >
    > i.e. Bruce Almighty and X2 for $14.87 . . . .

    I realize I'm simply crazy for doing this, but I will commonly buy movies
    through my local indie video store even though they tend to be slightly more
    expensive than the big chains. This way, I do my little bit to ensure that the
    cool indie video store stays open and I never, ever, ever, ever have to walk
    into a Blockbuster or a Wal-Mart ever again.

    I know, I know - I'm a terrible consumer.

    Kevin "Smash Your Head On The Punk Rock!" Cogliano
    madkevin, Nov 27, 2003
  5. Rich Clark Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > From what I can tell Wal-Mart seems to still have the newest releases
    > a dollar or two below Best Buy, Circuit City etc . . . .
    >
    > Does anyone else concur??

    Wal-Mart prices vary by location. The more competition an individual store
    has, the lower its prices. My nearby Wal-Mart serves neighborhoods with no
    other large discount stores, and therefore makes no effort to compete with
    Best Buy or the others.

    I understand that people who live in more rural areas, where their Super
    Wal-Mart (whatever they call them) may be the only big store in the whole
    county, pay even higher prices after the Wal-Mart has managed to drive all
    the smaller stores out of business.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Nov 27, 2003
  6. JR Guest

    My Best Buy (Greenville, NC) had Bruce Almighty and X2 at $30 for the pair

    JR, Nov 27, 2003
  7. 3W Guest

    "madkevin" <> wrote in message
    > I know, I know - I'm a terrible consumer.

    No, you're an inefficient consumer. The money you pay extra, could have been
    spent on other goods, helping other businesses. So you are in fact, hurting
    the economy.
    3W, Nov 27, 2003
  8. Tarkus Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:41:22 -0500, Dick Sidbury wrote:

    > BA was 14.99 at cc, 15.99 at BB
    > X2 was 14.99 at cc, 17.99 at BB
    > X complete was 25.87 at WM and 29.99 at CC and BB
    >
    > So I bought them all at BB. Price match less 10% of difference and I
    > could use ny reward zone card.

    I thought the 10% was only for stuff you had already bought, and was
    getting your difference refund.

    > -- and I just went in and told them the prices (with no ads in my hand)

    Cool. I know Fry's does that, but I didn't know BB would. Did you take
    your items to customer service as opposed to a regular checker?
    --
    "Klaatu borada nikto."

    Now playing: "Stevie Ray Vaughan And Doubl.. - Lenny"
    Tarkus, Nov 27, 2003
  9. profft Guest

    Goodone

    profft, Nov 27, 2003
  10. Dick Sidbury Guest

    Tarkus wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:41:22 -0500, Dick Sidbury wrote:
    >

    >>BA was 14.99 at cc, 15.99 at BB
    >>X2 was 14.99 at cc, 17.99 at BB
    >>X complete was 25.87 at WM and 29.99 at CC and BB
    >>
    >>So I bought them all at BB. Price match less 10% of difference and I
    >>could use ny reward zone card.

    > I thought the 10% was only for stuff you had already bought, and was
    > getting your difference refund.

    No, at least at my bestbuy they will give the difference as a reward for
    buying it from them at the time of the original purchase.

    >>-- and I just went in and told them the prices (with no ads in my hand)

    > Cool. I know Fry's does that, but I didn't know BB would. Did you take
    > your items to customer service as opposed to a regular checker?

    yes the downside is taking it to customer service which usually adds 5
    minutes to the checkout time. And also I think that they will demand
    proof if the price difference is too great.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Nov 28, 2003
  11. Jules Dubois Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:18:04 GMT, in article
    <news:wdrxb.5161$>, 3W wrote:

    > No, you're an inefficient consumer. The money you pay extra, could have been
    > spent on other goods, helping other businesses. So you are in fact, hurting
    > the economy.

    WACOS
    Jules Dubois, Nov 28, 2003
  12. Mike Guest

    Can't beat WalMart prices. You gotta get there when the first open, get your
    DVD's and run to the cashiers before all the fat women with their shopping
    lists arrive
    Mike, Nov 28, 2003
  13. madkevin Guest

    "3W" <> wrote in message
    > "madkevin" <> wrote in message
    > > I know, I know - I'm a terrible consumer.

    > No, you're an inefficient consumer. The money you pay extra, could have been
    > spent on other goods, helping other businesses. So you are in fact, hurting
    > the economy.

    So, you're saying I should spend money at places I hate? Is this some sort of
    weird new American economic theory - masochism economics, perhaps? I thought the
    whole point of having money in the first place was that I get to give it (well,
    the tiny portion of it that remains disposable, at any rate) to places that
    deserve it. Little did I know that, instead, I should have thrown all notions of
    customer service or unfair business practices out the window and concentrated on
    tossing my money directly into the air, letting the breeze distribute it as
    evenly as possible throughout all of the many happy corporations that need it to
    survive. How could I have been so utterly thoughtless?

    Kevin "Duly Ashamed" Cogliano
    madkevin, Nov 28, 2003
  14. Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in alt.video.dvd,
    Rich Clark <> wrote:
    >I understand that people who live in more rural areas, where their Super
    >Wal-Mart (whatever they call them) may be the only big store in the whole
    >county, pay even higher prices after the Wal-Mart has managed to drive all
    >the smaller stores out of business.

    Here in Cortland County, one Wal-mart and one K-mart are it: no
    other big retailers of any description except grocery stores.

    The two marts sit about 500 feet apart. Wal-mart is seeking
    permission to build a Super Wal-mart about 500 feet the other side
    of K-mart, right on top of the county's only source of water.
    Amazingly, the Town of Cortlandville supervisors seem receptive.

    Every time K-mart announces closings, we tremble for our own little
    Big K-mart. Wal-mart's prices are generally lower now;(*) but as you
    say, experience shows that if K-mart goes (and a Super Wal-mart will
    certainly kill it), Wal-mart prices will go through the roof.

    (*)One of my students did a statistics project on it.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Nov 28, 2003
  15. Stan Brown Guest

    In article <wdrxb.5161$> in
    alt.video.dvd, 3W <> wrote:
    >"madkevin" <> wrote in message
    >> I know, I know - I'm a terrible consumer.

    >No, you're an inefficient consumer. The money you pay extra, could have been
    >spent on other goods, helping other businesses. So you are in fact, hurting
    >the economy.

    Nonsense. Money spent is money spent. The local economy would be
    helped _less_, in fact, by buying from big retailers since most of
    their profits go to corporate.

    "Inefficient" is correct, in dollar terms. The OP said that he has
    other goals than finding the purely lowest price: retaining the
    selection and option to buy from different outlets. Those have to be
    paid for, if one wants them.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Nov 28, 2003
  16. Tarkus Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:09:59 -0500, Dick Sidbury wrote:

    > Tarkus wrote:
    >>
    >> I thought the 10% was only for stuff you had already bought, and was
    >> getting your difference refund.
    >>

    > No, at least at my bestbuy they will give the difference as a reward for
    > buying it from them at the time of the original purchase.

    Interesting. I've priced matched quite a lot at BB, but never got the
    10%, unless it was after the fact. But then, I've always price matched
    at the regular checkers.

    >> Cool. I know Fry's does that, but I didn't know BB would. Did you take
    >> your items to customer service as opposed to a regular checker?

    > yes the downside is taking it to customer service which usually adds 5
    > minutes to the checkout time. And also I think that they will demand
    > proof if the price difference is too great.

    That's good to know. I've always thought I was SOL if I didn't have an
    ad as proof.
    --
    "All this torturing people gets me HOT!"

    Now playing: "Stevie Ray Vaughan And Doubl.. - Don't Lose Your Cool (Live)"
    Tarkus, Nov 28, 2003
  17. Cernovog Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:18:04 -0500, 3W wrote
    (in message <wdrxb.5161$>):

    > The money you pay extra, could have been
    > spent on other goods, helping other businesses. So you are in fact, hurting
    > the economy.

    Somehow, I highly doubt pumping more money into the poor, destitute Walton
    family so they can buy another ivory backscratcher is good for the economy.

    Spending it on the Indie guy, who probably lives down the street from him,
    is more likely better. Especially when you consider the Indie guy buys his
    food at local supermarkets, gases up his car at the same places, etc. etc.
    Cernovog, Nov 28, 2003
  18. Cernovog Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:22:45 -0500, Mike wrote
    (in message <p4Axb.1829402$>):

    > Can't beat WalMart prices.

    I routinely beat Wal-Mart prices with a big fat stick as a matter of
    course. Beating Wal-Mart brainwashing on the otherhand, that's challenging.

    I shop at TARGET (o) same items, higher quality, similar prices.

    Target had Daredevil for $14.95 and a $5 coupon for Solaris. I happily
    bought X-2 at Target for $14.97.

    I also shop at CostCo, a wholesale club, and I usually get my box sets
    there. I spent about $30 - $35 for 24 season 2 and a similar price for Dark
    Angel season 2.

    As an added bonus, when I buy movies at these stores I know I can always
    find the director's cut version if I choose. And uncensored versions as well.

    If I were to buy a movie, a book or music at Wal-Mart, I don't know what
    I'm getting. It may be a complete, uncensored version, or it may only be the
    "Wal-Mart" approved version.

    I like making decisions for myself. I know thinking gives some people
    headaches so they let the Walton family do it for them.

    I can not bring myself to buy a book, movie or music from Wal-Mart
    because I know every dollar I spend there is a vote in favor of censorship.
    Cernovog, Nov 28, 2003
  19. Mike Jackson Guest

    > > I know, I know - I'm a terrible consumer.
    >
    > No, you're an inefficient consumer. The money you pay extra, could have

    been
    > spent on other goods, helping other businesses. So you are in fact,

    hurting
    > the economy.

    Inefficient, perhaps, because he could get a better value for his money and
    purchase more items. But, if he only has a set amount of money to spend, as
    long as that money is exchanged for goods and services it does not matter
    how or where it was spent. (Unless you're considering margins and
    manufacturing costs, but that's out of the scope of any Usenet conversation,
    especially in a.v.d.)

    There is something else that you didn't consider: the social impact of where
    your money is spent. Money spent at large corporate retail chains stays in
    the community for labor, utilities, rent, taxes, etcetera. Anything above
    that, though, goes to support the corporate machinery. Profits go into the
    coffers of the stakeholders -- private owners, shareholders, etcetera. Money
    spent at locally owned stores is disseminated into the local community in
    similar ways, but the profits go into the local community, not a vast
    corporate entity, since those businesses are typically owned by a sole
    proprietor who is going to spend the money s/he makes near home.

    Besides, some people prefer to support their local businesses if for no
    other reason than for the good karma, the brownie points, or the warm fuzzy
    feeling it gives them to keep local businesses open that would otherwise be
    shut down by the megalithic chains. If the extra buck or two assuages their
    conscience, then it was money well spent.

    Me, I'm too poor to worry about good karma. I save the buck or two and buy
    my DVDs at Wal-Mart. Cheapest prices around, although if there was a Best
    Buy within a 20 minute drive, I'd go there instead and take advantage of the
    price matching.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com
    Mike Jackson, Nov 28, 2003
  20. Mike Jackson Guest

    > > Does anyone else concur??
    >
    > Wal-Mart prices vary by location. The more competition an individual store
    > has, the lower its prices. My nearby Wal-Mart serves neighborhoods with no
    > other large discount stores, and therefore makes no effort to compete with
    > Best Buy or the others.

    There's two Wal-Marts within 10 minutes of my home (three if you make that
    15 minutes). They have different prices than each other. When I asked why,
    the clerk said it was because they compete with each other, though she did
    call the other store and price-match the DVD I was buying. (This was a while
    ago -- I think the Tarantino SEs -- and lately the prices have been pretty
    much the same.)

    Mike Jackson, Nov 28, 2003