    exam?

    Your advice would be much appreciated!
    Eliezer in Chicago
    Eliezer, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Eliezer

    Schfooge Guest

    "Eliezer" <> wrote in message
    news:86cc01c495e5$384f5870$...
    >I would like to (once again) begin preparing for the MCSD.
    >
    > I started and made some significant headway in the book by
    > Cassidy and Shapton printed by Osborne called "MCAD/MCSD
    > Visual Basic.NET Web Applications". I found its examples
    > full of errors and somewhat hard to follow, i.e. poorly
    > written.

    I made the mistake of buying their matching book for for Windows
    Applications. However, I must admit that I learned more from figuring out
    to how to get their examples working than I would have if they had run
    flawlessly. If you go to Osborne's site and look up the errata for this
    book, you will see more than a few I submitted.

    The funny thing is that there are several more mistakes that I submitted
    that they didn't add to the errata. Which indicates to me that they don't
    have anyone on staff who understands enough about VB.NET to understand
    something's wrong, even when it's spelled out for them what the problem is.

    There's one other thing that bothered me about this book, and I've seen
    this problem with other books from other publishers. They write the code
    with the assumption that everyone's computer is set to the culture en-us
    (English, United States), when they plan to sell the same edition of the
    book internationally. My computer's set to en-ca (English, Canada). The
    main thing that stands out is dates. US short dates are month-day-year,
    while almost everyone else uses day-month-year. You would think that
    someone who is teaching programming would know enough to avoid using short
    dates. Personally, I favour using the format 10-mar-2004 (for example).
    It's short, and it leaves no doubt which is the day and which is the month.
    Schfooge, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Eliezer

    Raja Guest

    For VB.Net track, stick with Mike Gunderloy's books.
    They're the best and you will be glad to read from them.
    The links on Amazon are
    70-305 : http://tinyurl.com/56cmr
    70-306 : http://tinyurl.com/5hapf
    70-310 : http://tinyurl.com/52oav
    Also, be sure to check out the Errata at
    http://www.larkware.com/TGErrata.txt

    Good luck !

    - Raja.

    goal

    Raja, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Eliezer

    Eliezer Guest

    Schfooge,

    It's good to hear I'm not alone on this. I had many
    emails back and forth between myself and the supposed-
    editor and between myself and both authors in attempts to
    try to get their code to run...

    Eliezer, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Eliezer

    Eliezer Guest

    Raja, thank you very much for replying!!!
    Eliezer

    Eliezer, Sep 10, 2004
  6. Eliezer

    valko yotov Guest

    Hi,

    I can't tell you which are the best books, but I can tell what I use now for
    my MCSD

    passed with 829 score 70-305 last week: 43 questions - in the beginning of
    exam there is a notice that some questions are from beta - it don't looks to
    me like beta questions they make them absolutely like real, if you now what
    I mean ;-)

    I will go tomorrow on70-306 and on 20th Sep on 70-310 based on what I learn
    in books:

    I study from Microsoft's MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft
    ..NET Core Requirements, Exams 70-305, 70-315, 70-306, 70-316, 70-310,
    70-320, and 70-300

    test included in kit has absolutely the same structure, look and feel like
    real exam, which prepare me very well for the exam. In fact on exam
    there was about 5 questions absolutely the same like in training kit, why I
    am not surprised ;-)

    I try many training tests from different vendors including Transcender, but
    somehow I do not like all them, and stop messing up with them (finally it
    appears that I am right) - just learn from kit and from Sybex press
    MCAD/MCSD: Visual Basic® .NET Windows® and Web Applications Study Guide and
    of course learn A LOT from msdn - it take me 2 weeks to prepare, but I do
    not do any exercises, because I anyway work with .NET from past 2 years.

    I see a lot of references here for many books, but I really doubt that you
    can get more valuable source then msdn, after all it is Microsft's exam.

    good luck to all
    valko

    valko yotov, Sep 12, 2004