Best Blu-Ray Player for Pioneer VSX-59TXi Receiver?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by T.B., Nov 9, 2007.

  1. T.B.

    T.B. Guest

    This is basically the same post I submitted to the AV forum that I'm
    reposting here.

    I have a Pioneer Elite receiver, the VSX-59TXi and a big ol' Sony WEGA crt
    KV-40XBR700 monitor. Obviously, HDMI is not an option with my current setup
    and I don't see that changing for the next year or two. I do want to get a
    Blu-Ray player in the next month or sooner, however, I want a BR player that
    will deliver the best a/v experience with my current setup under $1000.00.
    I'd need the BR player to output *uncompressed* audio either through the
    (ideally) optical or digital coaxial lines or through the analog
    multi-channel lines. I had considered buying one of the newer Pioneer BR
    players but I heard at least the 94HD failed 3:2 pulldown tests.

    I also would like the player to upscale standard dvds to 1080 via componant
    cables, but again I understand that really isn't an option without using an
    HDMI hookup with almost all players due to copyright encoding but perhaps
    I've missed something. I am aware of the Vision FC3 - HDTV DVI to
    VGA/PC/Component Signal/Format Converter, but I'll cross that bridge if
    needed once I buy a player.

    Thanks in advance,

    T.B.
    T.B., Nov 9, 2007

  2. On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:24:27 -0800, "T.B." <>
    wrote:

    >This is basically the same post I submitted to the AV forum that I'm
    >reposting here.
    >
    >I have a Pioneer Elite receiver, the VSX-59TXi and a big ol' Sony WEGA crt
    >KV-40XBR700 monitor. Obviously, HDMI is not an option with my current setup
    >and I don't see that changing for the next year or two. I do want to get a
    >Blu-Ray player in the next month or sooner, however, I want a BR player that
    >will deliver the best a/v experience with my current setup under $1000.00.
    >I'd need the BR player to output *uncompressed* audio either through the
    >(ideally) optical or digital coaxial lines or through the analog
    >multi-channel lines. I had considered buying one of the newer Pioneer BR
    >players but I heard at least the 94HD failed 3:2 pulldown tests.
    >
    >I also would like the player to upscale standard dvds to 1080 via componant
    >cables, but again I understand that really isn't an option without using an
    >HDMI hookup with almost all players due to copyright encoding but perhaps
    >I've missed something. I am aware of the Vision FC3 - HDTV DVI to
    >VGA/PC/Component Signal/Format Converter, but I'll cross that bridge if
    >needed once I buy a player.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >
    >T.B.

    The PS3. That way, you get the most for your money. Don't forget to
    add $30 (maybe $25) for the BR-DVD remote control. It is possible to use
    the game controller, but a bit cumbersome.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 9, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    ChairmanOfTheBored <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:24:27 -0800, "T.B." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This is basically the same post I submitted to the AV forum that I'm
    > >reposting here.
    > >
    > >I have a Pioneer Elite receiver, the VSX-59TXi and a big ol' Sony WEGA crt
    > >KV-40XBR700 monitor. Obviously, HDMI is not an option with my current setup
    > >and I don't see that changing for the next year or two. I do want to get a
    > >Blu-Ray player in the next month or sooner, however, I want a BR player that
    > >will deliver the best a/v experience with my current setup under $1000.00.
    > >I'd need the BR player to output *uncompressed* audio either through the
    > >(ideally) optical or digital coaxial lines or through the analog
    > >multi-channel lines. I had considered buying one of the newer Pioneer BR
    > >players but I heard at least the 94HD failed 3:2 pulldown tests.
    > >
    > >I also would like the player to upscale standard dvds to 1080 via componant
    > >cables, but again I understand that really isn't an option without using an
    > >HDMI hookup with almost all players due to copyright encoding but perhaps
    > >I've missed something. I am aware of the Vision FC3 - HDTV DVI to
    > >VGA/PC/Component Signal/Format Converter, but I'll cross that bridge if
    > >needed once I buy a player.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > >T.B.
    > >

    > The PS3. That way, you get the most for your money. Don't forget to
    > add $30 (maybe $25) for the BR-DVD remote control. It is possible to use
    > the game controller, but a bit cumbersome.

    The PS3 will give him the video, but to get the advantage of the newer
    audio codecs and LPCM, he needs the ability to use his multi-channel
    analog inputs. The PS3 doesn't do that.

    Take a look at the Panasonic BDP-10A. Analog outs, good reviews.
    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 9, 2007
  4. T.B.

    T.B. Guest

    "Lloyd Parsons" wrote:

    (snip)

    >> The PS3. That way, you get the most for your money. Don't forget to
    >> add $30 (maybe $25) for the BR-DVD remote control. It is possible to use
    >> the game controller, but a bit cumbersome.

    > The PS3 will give him the video, but to get the advantage of the newer
    > audio codecs and LPCM, he needs the ability to use his multi-channel
    > analog inputs. The PS3 doesn't do that.
    >
    > Take a look at the Panasonic BDP-10A. Analog outs, good reviews.

    Do the analog outs downconvert the audio signal to my reciever? Also, will
    it pass a upconvert signal of a standard dvd to 1080 to my monitor via
    anythig other than HDMI?

    I seriously have been considering the PS3 and understand Sony has a HDMI to
    YGB cable, but like you mention, I'm kinda hosed as far as analog audio
    output.

    T.B.
    T.B., Nov 9, 2007
  5. In article <47348d7a$0$8701$>,
    "T.B." <> wrote:

    > "Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    > >> The PS3. That way, you get the most for your money. Don't forget to
    > >> add $30 (maybe $25) for the BR-DVD remote control. It is possible to use
    > >> the game controller, but a bit cumbersome.

    > > The PS3 will give him the video, but to get the advantage of the newer
    > > audio codecs and LPCM, he needs the ability to use his multi-channel
    > > analog inputs. The PS3 doesn't do that.
    > >
    > > Take a look at the Panasonic BDP-10A. Analog outs, good reviews.

    > Do the analog outs downconvert the audio signal to my reciever? Also, will
    > it pass a upconvert signal of a standard dvd to 1080 to my monitor via
    > anythig other than HDMI?

    I'm talking about the 5.1 multi-channel audio output that something like
    the S300 has, or 7.1 that some others have. If your receiver has a
    5.1/7.1 multi-channel then you can get the newer codecs as LPCM. If it
    only has digital coax or optical, it can't get that. And if it only has
    2-channel analog, you can only get 2-channel PCM stereo.

    Some SD discs can be upconverted to 1080 via component, but not all.
    And it seems to be somewhat machine specific too. Lots of confusion
    here. But you can upconvert to 720p via component and on a smaller tv
    set you might not be able to really tell the difference.

    > I seriously have been considering the PS3 and understand Sony has a HDMI to
    > YGB cable, but like you mention, I'm kinda hosed as far as analog audio
    > output.
    >
    > T.B.

    At some point you are probably going to have to consider a new receiver
    to take advantage of the new codecs and connections. In the meantime,
    the PS3 can give you good video with what you have.

    Watch for 'black friday' sales of all of this kind of stuff, you may be
    able to do some serious upgrading for not too serious money...
    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 9, 2007
  6. On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:39:51 -0800, "T.B." <>
    wrote:

    >"Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
    >
    >(snip)
    >
    >>> The PS3. That way, you get the most for your money. Don't forget to
    >>> add $30 (maybe $25) for the BR-DVD remote control. It is possible to use
    >>> the game controller, but a bit cumbersome.

    >> The PS3 will give him the video, but to get the advantage of the newer
    >> audio codecs and LPCM, he needs the ability to use his multi-channel
    >> analog inputs. The PS3 doesn't do that.
    >>
    >> Take a look at the Panasonic BDP-10A. Analog outs, good reviews.

    >Do the analog outs downconvert the audio signal to my reciever? Also, will
    >it pass a upconvert signal of a standard dvd to 1080 to my monitor via
    >anythig other than HDMI?
    >
    >I seriously have been considering the PS3 and understand Sony has a HDMI to
    >YGB cable, but like you mention, I'm kinda hosed as far as analog audio
    >output.

    If Sony makes the cable, I am quite sure it will have an audio output
    break-out as well.

    If not, your fancy receiver does take input from the OPTICAL OUT jack
    on the PS3.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 10, 2007
  7. In article <>,
    ChairmanOfTheBored <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:39:51 -0800, "T.B." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
    > >
    > >(snip)

    > >> The PS3 will give him the video, but to get the advantage of the newer
    > >> audio codecs and LPCM, he needs the ability to use his multi-channel
    > >> analog inputs. The PS3 doesn't do that.
    > >>
    > >> Take a look at the Panasonic BDP-10A. Analog outs, good reviews.

    > >Do the analog outs downconvert the audio signal to my reciever? Also, will
    > >it pass a upconvert signal of a standard dvd to 1080 to my monitor via
    > >anythig other than HDMI?
    > >
    > >I seriously have been considering the PS3 and understand Sony has a HDMI to
    > >YGB cable, but like you mention, I'm kinda hosed as far as analog audio
    > >output.
    > >

    > If Sony makes the cable, I am quite sure it will have an audio output
    > break-out as well.

    Then you would be wrong.

    > If not, your fancy receiver does take input from the OPTICAL OUT jack
    > on the PS3.

    Which doesn't get him multi-channel PCM or bitstreams beyond DTS-EX/ES
    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 10, 2007
  8. On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 22:35:58 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > ChairmanOfTheBored <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:39:51 -0800, "T.B." <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >(snip)

    >> >Do the analog outs downconvert the audio signal to my reciever? Also, will
    >> >it pass a upconvert signal of a standard dvd to 1080 to my monitor via
    >> >anythig other than HDMI?
    >> >
    >> >I seriously have been considering the PS3 and understand Sony has a HDMI to
    >> >YGB cable, but like you mention, I'm kinda hosed as far as analog audio
    >> >output.
    >> >

    >> If Sony makes the cable, I am quite sure it will have an audio output
    >> break-out as well.
    >>

    >Then you would be wrong.

    I just saw it on the Sony site. It has FIVE connectors. Three grouped
    together, and two others, grouped together a bit further back.

    Perhaps you should try again.

    >> If not, your fancy receiver does take input from the OPTICAL OUT jack
    >> on the PS3.

    >Which doesn't get him multi-channel PCM or bitstreams beyond DTS-EX/ES

    Are you sure that is still true?
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 10, 2007
  9. In article <>,
    ChairmanOfTheBored <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 22:35:58 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > ChairmanOfTheBored <> wrote:

    > >> If Sony makes the cable, I am quite sure it will have an audio output
    > >> break-out as well.
    > >>

    > >Then you would be wrong.

    > I just saw it on the Sony site. It has FIVE connectors. Three grouped
    > together, and two others, grouped together a bit further back.
    >
    > Perhaps you should try again.

    It gives the 3 component video connectors, and the 2 stereo analog
    connectors. No provision for anything beyond that with it.

    > >> If not, your fancy receiver does take input from the OPTICAL OUT jack
    > >> on the PS3.

    > >Which doesn't get him multi-channel PCM or bitstreams beyond DTS-EX/ES

    > Are you sure that is still true?

    Unfortunately it is still true. It is a bandwidth issue.
    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 10, 2007
  10. T.B.

    T.B. Guest

    "Lloyd Parsons" wrote:

    (snip)

    >> >Which doesn't get him multi-channel PCM or bitstreams beyond DTS-EX/ES

    >> Are you sure that is still true?

    > Unfortunately it is still true. It is a bandwidth issue.

    Also, aren't the DD 5.1 and DTS audio *not* full bitrate when going through
    the optical or co-axl digital audio connections from just about any BR
    player including the PS3?

    T.B.
    T.B., Nov 10, 2007
  11. In article <4735db88$0$24261$>,
    "T.B." <> wrote:

    > "Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
    >
    > (snip)

    > >> Are you sure that is still true?

    > > Unfortunately it is still true. It is a bandwidth issue.

    > Also, aren't the DD 5.1 and DTS audio *not* full bitrate when going through
    > the optical or co-axl digital audio connections from just about any BR
    > player including the PS3?
    >
    > T.B.

    I'm not sure if that is true or not and I did a quick search at
    avsforums and didn't find an answer.
    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 10, 2007
  12. In article <>,
    ChairmanOfTheBored <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 07:16:33 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Unfortunately it is still true. It is a bandwidth issue.

    > Fiber optic interfaces have greater bandwidth than copper does.
    >
    > Perhaps the I/O electronics used in the TOSLINK spec do not, but fiber
    > itself is certainly far faster than copper could ever be.

    True, fiber does have good bandwidth.

    It isn't the fiber it is the spec. Both the fiber optic and coaxial
    digital connections are set to a maximum BW that doesn't cut it for the
    newer codecs to be bitstreamed. Only HDMI 1.3 supports that, as well as
    LPCM 5.1/6.1/7.1 It is a design consideration.
    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 10, 2007
  13. On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 07:16:33 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <>

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 10, 2007