    monitors the files and backs up what ever has changed; almost like a RAID
    drive.

    Any suggestions?
    Martin Knight, Aug 8, 2004

  2. Martin Knight

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 05:06:37 GMT, "Martin Knight" <>
    wrote:

    >I have been farting around for months looking for the perfect backup
    >program.
    >
    >I thought I had found it with Powerquest's Datakeeper 5 but it misses files
    >in the backup process. It also renames the files so that you can only
    >restore through the program. Would be cool if you could dig into the backup
    >folder and take what you need. Also would like to have a program that
    >monitors the files and backs up what ever has changed; almost like a RAID
    >drive.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    I like Norton Ghost. The backup is bootable.
    Unk, Aug 8, 2004

  3. Can it backup individual files and folders or does it just do an image onto
    another drive?

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 05:06:37 GMT, "Martin Knight"

    <>

    Martin Knight, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Does the recent versions of Ghost do incremantal backups like True
    Image?

    Edward W. Thompson, Aug 8, 2004
  5. Martin Knight

    Parko Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 06:22:07 +0000, Martin Knight wrote:

    > Can it backup individual files and folders or does it just do an image onto
    > another drive?

    Partitions or drives only, no differential or incremental backups. You can
    restore individual files and folders.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Martin Knight

    Ionizer Guest

    "Edward W. Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > Does the recent versions of Ghost do incremantal backups like True
    > Image?

    Not a direct answer to your question, but I have had this guide bookmarked
    for a while now and it may help answer any questions you have about Ghost:
    http://ghost.radified.com/

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Aug 8, 2004
  7. Martin Knight

    Guest

    , Aug 8, 2004
  8. Martin Knight

    Linda Guest

    If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to
    create the energy of an atomic bomb.

    --
    Hmmm, they've got internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson

    Linda, Aug 8, 2004
  9. I deserve that one and should have seen it coming :))

    Martin Knight, Aug 9, 2004
  10. Looks like it for making a bootable backup of your Windows XP system.
    Nothing like Datakeeper which copies designated backup files to another
    drive and monitor changes to the originals to keep the backup copies the
    same as changes occur. Good in concept except Datakeeper doesn't work
    accurately.

    Martin

    Martin Knight, Aug 9, 2004
  11. Martin Knight

    Scrote Guest

    Martin Knight wrote:
    >> I deserve that one and should have seen it coming :))

    I would have thought that one of your other senses would have detected
    it first ;-)

    --
    "The avoidance of taxes is the only intellectual pursuit that still
    carries any reward." -- John Maynard Keynes
    Scrote, Aug 9, 2004
  12. Martin Knight

    Saddles Guest

    I recommend "Second Copy" all the way.
    http://www.topshareware.com/Second-Copy-download-10939.htm It can back up
    to a second hardrive or to removeable media, including a CD-RW.

    Can create backup different profiles where you specify source drive, folders
    and files.. Backs up only what changes. Scheduled backups. Fairly cheap.
    Various backup methods e.g. Simple Copy, where it just adds to whatever is
    already there in the backup job; Exact Copy, where it deletes backed up
    files which are no longer at the source. etc etc. Some other handy features
    too.

    But what I lke most is the fact that the format of the backed up files is
    not proprietory. It's either compressed with something like the regular old
    zip format, or they're just plain unaltered second copies of the files,
    which can be accessesed later or elsewhere without having to go through the
    program.

    I'm totally satisfied with that scenario.

    > I deserve that one and should have seen it coming :))
    >

    > "Linda" <.@.> wrote in message news:...
    > > If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is

    produced
    > > create the energy of an atomic bomb.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hmmm, they've got internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson
    > > "Martin Knight" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have been farting around for months looking for the perfect backup
    > > > program.
    > > >
    > > > I thought I had found it with Powerquest's Datakeeper 5 but it misses

    > > files
    > > > in the backup process. It also renames the files so that you can only
    > > > restore through the program. Would be cool if you could dig into the

    > > backup
    > > > folder and take what you need. Also would like to have a program that
    > > > monitors the files and backs up what ever has changed; almost like a

    > RAID
    > > > drive.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions?

    ---
    Saddles, Aug 9, 2004
  13. THANK YOU !!

    This is one awesome program and exactly what I wanted. I looked high and low
    searching for weeks using Google and never came up with this.

    Copies the files exactly or compresses them. (I just copy all my files for
    easy access except for my Favorites which is 54 MB on my HD but only 380 K
    in a Zip file due to each file being 1 K taking up a 64 K sector).

    I love the scheduling ability for different backup groups as some things I
    want backed up every hour and other once a week. Also can save as many
    versions as you want of a older file being backed up.

    VERY COOL.

    Thanks again.

    Martin Knight, Aug 10, 2004
  14. To the person who recommended Second Copy 2000 - THANKS. I have been using
    it for several weeks and it is awesome simply because it is so simple.

    Martin

    Martin Knight, Aug 21, 2004